Forums > General Industry > Not everyone can be work in "the industry"

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I 've been seeing a lot of thread recently that rehash the old question of, how do I get work?

The fact is paying work is pretty much going for the brass ring. It is good to have goals, to set them for yourself, but in the end nobody is owed the brass ring.

If you find yourself not booking paying work then you can consider continuing as a hobbiest. No it isn't as sexy to say you are a carpenter by day and a hobbiest photographer by night- but isn't it less stressful to do this for enjoyment rather than kill yourself trying to figure out why you aren't booking work.

But let's say you HAVE to be able to do this-

here are some tips

Photographers- you should be shooting at least 2 times a week. You should be doing exterior, interior, and everything in between. You should be signing up for local college courses. You also want to take classes in dance, theater, and aquire some basic set building skills. You should be shooting from eye level, from below, from above, you should be circling the model once you have set your lights to see how light work from different angles. You should be trying every lighting modifier you can find and figuring out how they can work for you. You should be doing minimal photoshop work, instead it should be right in camera. Learn to read your histogram. You should be looking at work, and most of all you should NOT be falling in love with your subjects. Once you have done that for a year or two your photography will improve. maybe enough to even get a few paid gigs.

Models-
5ft 10 and above, 14-20 years of age, 24in waist or smaller, no breast implants, no hair extensions- congratulations you have the minimum requirements to go to an agency and try and get signed. Go to one and see what they say.

EVERYONE ELSE- every type of modeling has its requirements. Learn what they are and see if you fit into them. NO model I have ever met easily lives on modeling. It is as hard as working at Burger King and in the end you make about as much. BUT you can say you are a model.

99.9999999% of people who want to model WILL not be able to book more than a few paying gigs. Instead of being upset if you aren't working well in front of the camera and getting paying gigs, why not pursue it as a hobby. Find who you are through modeling. Take dance and movement courses, learn basic sewing skills, become adept at understanding fashion and fashion movements. Behave like it is an art form, and you will get better results. Maybe you aren't a "pretty" model. Well then what kind of model are you, are you a kick ass chick like the Derby Girls. Who are you and how will that translate into what you do.

make-up artists- let us just start with if you don't have at least 10 years of experience you are unlikely to make it in editorial in a large market.

5-10 is needed for smaller markets

3-5 for wedding work

1-3 for Glamour shops

oh- and you need to be really good. There isn't really a hobbiest market as such for make-up so I suggest you go into the MUA forums and learn from the people in there, they mainly know what they are doing.

stylists- become a PR girl and work from there

photoshop experts- again unless you are amazing, with thousands of hours under your belt and actually taking classes in how to work the program, enjoy playing around with it as a hobby. Small end jobs are done by the photographer or their assistant, high end jobs go to the amazing pros and middle of the road jobs are pretty much gone.

Mainly I am saying if you feel like you can't make it in this business- why not do this for fun, if money comes then great. Imagine you want to be a painter, sure you can do some local fairs but mainly you are spending a lot of time and effort to create something you like for yourself and screw everyone else.

Jul 07 14 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

+1

Jul 07 14 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

And for some of us "been there, done that", and we do not want to work in the 'industry'.
We want to play around the 'industry'.

Jul 07 14 04:04 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Star wrote:
I 've been seeing a lot of thread recently that rehash the old question of, how do I get work?

The fact is paying work is pretty much going for the brass ring. It is good to have goals, to set them for yourself, but in the end nobody is owed the brass ring.

If you find yourself not booking paying work then you can consider continuing as a hobbiest. No it isn't as sexy to say you are a carpenter by day and a hobbiest photographer by night- but isn't it less stressful to do this for enjoyment rather than kill yourself trying to figure out why you aren't booking work.

But let's say you HAVE to be able to do this-

here are some tips

Photographers- you should be shooting at least 2 times a week. You should be doing exterior, interior, and everything in between. You should be signing up for local college courses. You also want to take classes in dance, theater, and aquire some basic set building skills. You should be shooting from eye level, from below, from above, you should be circling the model once you have set your lights to see how light work from different angles. You should be trying every lighting modifier you can find and figuring out how they can work for you. You should be doing minimal photoshop work, instead it should be right in camera. Learn to read your histogram. You should be looking at work, and most of all you should NOT be falling in love with your subjects. Once you have done that for a year or two your photography will improve. maybe enough to even get a few paid gigs.

Models-
5ft 10 and above, 14-20 years of age, 24in waist or smaller, no breast implants, no hair extensions- congratulations you have the minimum requirements to go to an agency and try and get signed. Go to one and see what they say.

EVERYONE ELSE- every type of modeling has its requirements. Learn what they are and see if you fit into them. NO model I have ever met easily lives on modeling. It is as hard as working at Burger King and in the end you make about as much. BUT you can say you are a model.

99.9999999% of people who want to model WILL not be able to book more than a few paying gigs. Instead of being upset if you aren't working well in front of the camera and getting paying gigs, why not pursue it as a hobby. Find who you are through modeling. Take dance and movement courses, learn basic sewing skills, become adept at understanding fashion and fashion movements. Behave like it is an art form, and you will get better results. Maybe you aren't a "pretty" model. Well then what kind of model are you, are you a kick ass chick like the Derby Girls. Who are you and how will that translate into what you do.

make-up artists- let us just start with if you don't have at least 10 years of experience you are unlikely to make it in editorial in a large market.

5-10 is needed for smaller markets

3-5 for wedding work

1-3 for Glamour shops

oh- and you need to be really good. There isn't really a hobbiest market as such for make-up so I suggest you go into the MUA forums and learn from the people in there, they mainly know what they are doing.

photoshop experts- again unless you are amazing, with thousands of hours under your belt and actually taking classes in how to work the program, enjoy playing around with it as a hobby. Small end jobs are done by the photographer or their assistant, high end jobs go to the amazing pros and middle of the road jobs are pretty much gone.

Mainly I am saying if you feel like you can't make it in this business- why not do this for fun, if money comes then great. Imagine you want to be a painter, sure you can do some local fairs but mainly you are spending a lot of time and effort to create something you like for yourself and screw everyone else.

We disagree on several points.... Well most except one: not everyone can make it.

Photographers: doing it for a hobbie won't necesarily make you good with time since you have no standards if you do it for yourself. Not real ones.

Models: are you leaving out ALL the commercial work that has nothing to do with fashion and its high end commercial? Like 45 year old woman drinking coffee with fat husband for an ad?

Muas: I can give you at least 25 names of muas making it in the industry with less than 5 years of experience.

Retouchers: you couldn't be MORE wrong, there's plenty of middle range market for every good retoucher out there. I will be willing to bet there's more work to make a living just retouching than good retouchers one can outsource work to. Where are you gettin your information?

Jul 07 14 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

Star wrote:
Photographers- you should be shooting at least 2 times a week.

then i'd have to buy more storage. and all the editing, yeesh. oh, and move to somewhere like LA where i can shoot more than a couple models a year. hmm

Jul 07 14 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Sal W Hanna

Huntington Beach, California, US

I agree that not everyone will make it, but there are many parts I disagree with in your assessment as it doesn't factor in many aspects of this business. Yes, it's a business and yes, many are hobbyists, but even hobbyists make money. Not everyone needs to make a large amount of money to make as living off of this. I know many "hobbyist" as you would deem them, that make a good amount of money to live and travel on, but not enough to sustain my way of lifestyle.
For me, I've been hired by major networks, A list client and would I consider myself a working professional even though I only do this part time; yes. Why, because I get paid, published and credited in major projects. Does this pay all my bills, no. Does that make me any less of a working professional; no.

Jul 07 14 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

i
gather it aint easy to can be work in "the industry"

... especially for a hobbiest photographer

Jul 07 14 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

MichaelClements

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

*dreams shattered

Jul 07 14 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Modelmayhem is not the place to depend on for "industry" work.  There are a plenty of photographers here, along with models, but very few outlets for clients on here.  The fact is that Facebook is kicking MM's ass when it comes to finding clients and even photographers and models willing to "Pay" for talent.  ALL the major modeling agencies have Facebook profiles.  ALL important businesses that want any kind of exposure are on Facebook.  They do hire off of Facebook.   

Here, I'm having fun posting in the forums.  I've made some friends.  There are many models on my "friends" list here, but most of them are on Facebook too ... and prefer communicating with me on there due to the fact that MM does not have chat available and the messaging is not as dependable.  Although I think it's important to continue to have a profile here as I've made a lot of contacts in the past on here.   

Star, I always enjoy reading your posts.  I'm not sure if you post your writings else where, so I must take a look at your website.  You have a good insight into the real industry, but you'll get mostly criticism from the peanut gallery here.  Modelmayhem is NOT exclusive to professionals in the industry.  It never has been.   This site is what it is.  I can't stress enough how important it is to have profiles evry where you can on the World Wide Web, because you never know where your next connection will come from.  Anyone who depends on MM exclusively is missing the boat!

Jul 07 14 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

+1 :-)) yeah this place is very much like the first weeks of American Idol sometimes, populated with people with high hopes and expectations soon to be dashed to broken shards on the studio floor, and so we are faced with tens of thousands of inactive ports.

Jul 07 14 04:53 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Modelmayhem is not the place to depend on for "industry" work.  There are a plenty of photographers here, along with models, but very few outlets for clients on here.  The fact is that Facebook is kicking MM's ass when it comes to finding clients and even photographers and models willing to "Pay" for talent.  ALL the major modeling agencies have Facebook profiles.  ALL important businesses that want any kind of exposure are on Facebook.  They do hire off of Facebook.   

Here, I'm having fun posting in the forums.  I've made some friends.  There are many models on my "friends" list here, but most of them are on Facebook too ... and prefer communicating with me on there due to the fact that MM does not have chat available and the messaging is not as dependable.  Although I think it's important to continue to have a profile here as I've made a lot of contacts in the past on here.   

Star, I always enjoy reading your posts.  I'm not sure if you post your writings else where, so I must take a look at your website.  You have a good insight into the real industry, but you'll get mostly criticism from the peanut gallery here.  Modelmayhem is NOT exclusive to professionals in the industry.  It never has been.   This site is what it is.  I can't stress enough how important it is to have profiles evry where you can on the World Wide Web, because you never know where your next connection will come from.  Anyone who depends on MM exclusively is missing the boat!

Who is defending model mayhem?

Jul 07 14 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I'm not sure that anyone can even really define with any degree of credibility what "the industry" is these days.

Jul 07 14 05:01 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

Thank-you.
smile

Jul 07 14 05:07 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Lohkee wrote:
I'm not sure that anyone can even really define with any degree of credibility what "the industry" is these days.

What industry? Photography industry?

Stock ?

Fashion industry? Editorial or commercial? Main steam of haute couture?

Advertising? Still life? Lifestyle? Creative? Retail?

Industrial? Corporative?

Fine art? Author photography? Conceptual?

Architectural? Landscape?

Photojournalism?

Event photography

I can keep going but I don't see the point.

There's a lot of implied mediocrity in this thread.

Jul 07 14 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

What industry? Photography industry?

Stock ?

Fashion industry? Editorial or commercial? Main steam of haute couture?

Advertising? Still life? Lifestyle? Creative? Retail?

Industrial? Corporative?

Fine art? Author photography? Conceptual?

Architectural? Landscape?

Photojournalism?

Event photography

I can keep going but I don't see the point.

There's a lot of implied mediocrity in this thread.

Yes, indeed there is.

Jul 07 14 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

r T p wrote:
a hobbiest photographer

https://t2.ftcdn.net/jpg/00/09/70/15/400_F_9701553_1qgPkOxJKSaacUc6dj4gYc4pg7Nxau8S.jpg

Jul 07 14 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Star makes many valid points.   Here are some things to consider.   A good ideal is to become a assistant for someone.   Not just to acquire more skills but too learn about how to deal with clients, billing and other related issues.   Fashion and beauty shooters MUST have a relationship with local agencies.   Frankly their is little point in shooting models from most of these sites who tend not too be agency standard.   Find yourself several solid make-up artists while you're at at.   Focus on getting real world work over what a model can pay and tests for agencies should not be a end goal in my view.   Once you have a good to great book look for clients.   Also understand that most paid work won't consist of a beautiful model posed half nude on a secluded beach.

Its boring corporate reports.      Its food and product.   Its lifestyle.   One of the best things is join the PPA
http://www.ppa.com/    As for models...   A smart model who hustles can easily make $30,000 to $50,000 a year as a freelancer.   It means HUSTLE.  Don't ignore offers even TF.   That TF can become a paid shoot.   That person you ignored today may have paid work tomorrow.   Get a phone number that is separate from your personal one.
You don't need a fantastic book to make money here or other sites but it should be current.   This assumes you are not a agency signed fashion or commercial model.   If you are signed in my view you have little reason to shoot with most people here paid or not.   

If you are looking to be signed then focus on that.   Forget trying to make a few dollars from folks here.   You want strong editorial fashion or commercial work and those here who do that rarely if ever pay.   I'm not sure what 'making it' means though.   If its the industry then lets be candid that's not largely what MM is about.   This has been and is a hobby site filled with great talent.   Many who have little interest in trying to become part of the industry but who enjoy art or models who could care less about being signed or appearing on a magazine cover but who want to make extra cash.

Jul 07 14 05:14 pm Link

Model

Sandra Vixen

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Star wrote:

Depending on where you live, the problem for non-hobbiests, is that there is often a massive pool of free talent. Photographers and models starting out, they are willing to work for free, and (even experienced) directors (and I'm talking about larger professional projects here) often "hire free cameras and meat".

Why? because if you have a project, and suddenly are surrounded by people offering to work for you for free, why would you say no?

The problem is that this kind of abundance of free work makes it difficult for real trained actors and models, those who have spent many years and their own money on training, education, blood, sweat, and tears do not get work and you see very poor photos and films these days.

Star wrote:
You should be signing up for local college courses. You also want to take classes in dance, theater, and aquire some basic set building skills. You should be shooting from eye level, from below, from above, you should be circling the model once you have set your lights to see how light work from different angles. You should be trying every lighting modifier you can find and figuring out how they can work for you. You should be doing minimal photoshop work, instead it should be right in camera. Learn to read your histogram. You should be looking at work, and most of all you should NOT be falling in love with your subjects. Once you have done that for a year or two your photography will improve. maybe enough to even get a few paid gigs.

To be really honest, college courses (at least maybe in the West) is one of the WORST resources for photographers. I've been to many collages, seen their art departments, they have no clue on what they are teaching. They have a lot of funds, so people think if they pay them a lot of money, get a piece of paper (I have several myself, so I'm not saying this out of jealousy), they are good.

They are not.

You need to look at the great photographers, or work with the established greats, or train under retired greats. Don't waste your money on a professor who paid for their education to be paid now and never produced anything great.

Star wrote:
Models-

Since I fit that requirement, I guess I'll go to an agency.

Star wrote:

I just feel that this whole post comes off as a "high-horse, don't bother working because you won't be great, kind of attitude".

Yes it's true a lot of young girls (and some boys) think of modelling as a passing thought (oh it would be fun to do that).

But there are serious people who have put a lot of work into it, they have the talent, and they are interested in perusing modeling. Encouraging other people to work for free will simply drown out dedicated people who put a lot of time and energy into arts and entertainment.

That just stinks in my opinion.

Lastly, there is the cost of living, asking people to work for free just isn't reasonable. Not even to pay for gas or lunch? Does your electric company accept photos as payment?

Jul 07 14 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Peter House

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I can't speak for the other talent, but as far as photographers go, here are my observations:

Success in photography boils down to three things. The first is having a solid grasp of the technical aspects. This comes from experience and practice. Some are faster learners, but with enough time, most can learn it fairly well.

The second, and this is the hard part, is marketing. It's all about focus. Carving a niche. Be known for something, and promote the hell out of it. Be that person your clients think of when they need a specific look or genre shot. It's not just about shooting food, or architecture, or portraits. Keep defining it further. And PROMOTE.

The third is customer service. Your people skills are paramount before, during, and after a shoot. Learn to be a people pleaser and how to communicate professionally and personably.

That's it. That is all there is to it. It's the same way any and every small business in the world is run.

Jul 07 14 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Wait why am I taking dance and theater classes?  Star if you want to dance I would be happy to, you just needed to ask smile

As for shoot everything, I agree.  Realize that you will not love everything and sooner or later you will settle into an area or two that you do.  Don't expect to be able to successfully market yourself with a half dozen "specialities", eventually commercial clients will want to place you into that box we all dislike.

Oh and on that note, if you are taking those photography classes pick up a few on marketing; you are a small business owner as well

Jul 07 14 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

Who is defending model mayhem?

Is this meant to be sarcastic or is it a misunderstanding?  I am not "defending" Modelmayhem.   I'm just saying as a matter of fact that this website is in no way exclusive to any "industry" ... certainly not the "industry" that Star is directing her original post to.  Perhaps my "industry" might be considered shooting with Internet models for fun and profit.  I've never claimed to be shooting in any "industry" ... especially the fashion industry.

Jul 07 14 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

GER Photography wrote:
+1 :-)) yeah this place is very much like the first weeks of American Idol sometimes, populated with people with high hopes and expectations soon to be dashed to broken shards on the studio floor, and so we are faced with tens of thousands of inactive ports.

Good point!  borat

Jul 07 14 06:16 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Star wrote:

By becoming a "pr girl" I can assume you mean either to intern for a fashion pr agency or become a publicist.

Interning for a fashion PR agency is great experience for a stylist but from my experience this isn't enough to break into fashion styling.Another thing it's just as hard to break into fashion pr as it is to break into fashion styling.There are a lot of stylist who started off as fashion publicists but I doubt they went into fashion pr with the intent of becoming a stylist.

Jul 07 14 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

I'm not qualified to speak on the subject of "making it" but at the same time, when these threads pop up, how do we know who is?

End rant.

Jul 07 14 06:28 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Is this meant to be sarcastic or is it a misunderstanding?  I am not "defending" Modelmayhem.   I'm just saying as a matter of fact that this website is in no way exclusive to any "industry" ... certainly not the "industry" that Star is directing her original post to.  Perhaps my "industry" might be considered shooting with Internet models for fun and profit.  I've never claimed to be shooting in any "industry" ... especially the fashion industry.

I read the OP

He doesn't claim MM is "the industry"

He doesn't claim people asking in forums think MM is "the industry"

Nobody is claiming MM is "the industry" or "part of the industry" or "a way to get to the industry" or even "a way to get work"

Your post tho... Is all about MM not being the industry and FB being the thing to do.

I don't see how that relates to the thread at all, I don't see how you agree with the OP (simply because you said nothing abou the OP itself)

And also, don't understand why you think someone in the responses to the OP was defending MM in any way or how MM was remotely the subject in this thread.

Maybe you were replying to another thread and reading someone else's responses ?

Jul 07 14 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

I'd suggest joining the ASMP, over the PPA, if you're going for commercial work..but that's just me  smile

Some may think that shooting corporate portraiture, annual reports, food and architectural is boring.

I shoot all that and find it quite fun...AND it pays.

Jul 07 14 07:20 pm Link

Model

Vi Synster

Jesup, Georgia, US

Models-

This is false. Most agencies prefer models between 5 ft 8 in to 5 ft 10 inches. If models are much taller than that (at least for females), it can become much more difficult to get work if you're aiming for high fashion.

If you're going for that teen mark (14-20), if you're not careful, you can easily potentially run into some legal trouble. The "average" modeling age for your "prime" (I'm using these terms loosely) is a model that's in her 20s.

24 inch waist? Are you kidding me? The average Victoria Secret's waist is between 26 and 28 inches, and they're like the "international supermodels" of the world.

Jul 07 14 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

Worcester, England, United Kingdom

Cree Synster wrote:

This is false. Most agencies prefer models between 5 ft 8 in to 5 ft 10 inches. If models are much taller than that (at least for females), it can become much more difficult to get work if you're aiming for high fashion.

If you're going for that teen mark (14-20), if you're not careful, you can easily potentially run into some legal trouble. The "average" modeling age for your "prime" (I'm using these terms loosely) is a model that's in her 20s.

24 inch waist? Are you kidding me? The average Victoria Secret's waist is between 26 and 28 inches, and they're like the "international supermodels" of the world.

You should listen to the OP.

Jul 07 14 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Thinking Inside The Box

Diamond Bar, California, US

I like how everyone has their own definition of "the industry", and how it wasn't defined by the OP--as if everyone obviously knows what she meant.

In LA, "the industry" generally refers to the entertainment industry as a whole, whether TV or movies. Photographers are a tiny subset of that, as are actors.

Fashion-oriented folks call what they do "the industry".

So do commercial photographers.

Retail photographers (portrait and wedding) sometimes call that field "the industry", though it's not as common as for the others.

Etc.

Given the lack of a foundation for the claims, and the implication that the only way to get work is to be in "the industry", it's hard to do more than wonder what was, in fact, meant, and whether there was a basis for the belief.

Jul 07 14 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

I don't think one can talk about aspects of the so called industry in regards to photography and related as MM is run mainly by amateurs for amateurs.

Welcome to Model Mayhem!

Model Mayhem (the "Site") is provided to you for your personal entertainment, information, education, and communication through our featured content and interactive functionality available via the Internet (the "Model Mayhem Services").

Does not mention the word professional.

Jul 08 14 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Thinking Inside The Box wrote:
I like how everyone has their own definition of "the industry", and how it wasn't defined by the OP--as if everyone obviously knows what she meant.

This may be the most important sentence in this thread.

The specifics being tossed around may apply in some situations, but they will not apply in all situations.  The only absolute truth in the thread is that not everyone can make it.

Jul 08 14 08:18 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Brian Diaz wrote:

This may be the most important sentence in this thread.

The specifics being tossed around may apply in some situations, but they will not apply in all situations.  The only absolute truth in the thread is that not everyone can make it.

This is why, in Hollywood...there are tons of Actors and Actresses and Models, who are excellent Waiters and Busboys and Cooks. The very next over night sensation is probably a cashier at your very own, Pigglywiggly!

Jul 08 14 08:25 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Sal W Hanna wrote:
I agree that not everyone will make it, but there are many parts I disagree with in your assessment as it doesn't factor in many aspects of this business. Yes, it's a business and yes, many are hobbyists, but even hobbyists make money. Not everyone needs to make a large amount of money to make as living off of this. I know many "hobbyist" as you would deem them, that make a good amount of money to live and travel on, but not enough to sustain my way of lifestyle.

Would you employ and trust a hobbyist electrician to wire your house ?
Would you employ and trust a hobbyist bricklayer to build your house ?

Jul 08 14 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

WIP wrote:

Would you employ and trust a hobbyist electrician to wire your house ?
Would you employ and trust a hobbyist bricklayer to build your house ?

Electricians and masons are typically licensed to ensure that they are responsible for a number of safety issues.  There are no commensurate safety issues in photography. 

I would happily hire a hobbyist to design a t-shirt for me or to write a song about how cool I am.

Jul 08 14 10:16 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Brian Diaz wrote:
Electricians and masons are typically licensed to ensure that they are responsible for a number of safety issues.  There are no commensurate safety issues in photography.

A professional photographer will hold all the necessary insurances eg public liability, professional indemnity, employers liability etc.

http://www.the-aop.org/information/copy … ients/faqs

'There are no commensurate safety issues in photography'. Really !
Photosensitive epilepsy (PSE).
Frayed cables/strobe.
Ect ect.

Jul 08 14 10:23 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Lohkee wrote:

In my 45 years, I have seen it change and change and change.  I come from a mainstream entertainment family, and even things for them have changed.

Jul 08 14 10:26 am Link

Photographer

The Grand Artist

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Why do so many people that post in the forums assume everyone here is trying to make it in "the industry". I am sure many people here are repulsed by  "the industry" and all that it stands for and believe it is a plague on human society across the globe.

Jul 08 14 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

WIP wrote:
A professional photographer will hold all the necessary insurances eg public liability, professional indemnity, employers liability etc.

http://www.the-aop.org/information/copy … ients/faqs

'There are no commensurate safety issues in photography'. Really !

I think what he means by that is that in photography, a photographer can legally do their craft without all sorts of licensing from either their own peer groups, the state commissioners, if not both.

A 14 year-old with their iPhone can charge people for his craft. But a 14 year-old cannot charge people for their expertise say (for instance) if they're a legal or medical prodigy.

Jul 08 14 10:32 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

The Grand Artist wrote:
Why do so many people that post in the forums assume everyone here is trying to make it in "the industry". I am sure many people here are repulsed by  "the industry" and all that it stands for and believe it is a plague on human society across the globe.

Again ... Which industry?

Jul 08 14 10:44 am Link

Clothing Designer

Kalico Clothing

Sacramento, California, US

Star wrote:
Models-

Wait... Are you actually telling models to be anorexic... you know at 5'10 or taller a 24 inch waist is pretty hard to come by naturally. OUCH! And you're saying that's the CAP for the waist, it can only get smaller?!

I'd take a healthy model with a fit body over a sickly girl who doesn't eat (or the opposite as well) any day. Unhealthy is unhealthy.

Jul 08 14 10:48 am Link