Forums > Photography Talk > First impression of Neewer TT850s

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

-JAY- wrote:

But you can change it remotely. it's a godsend, and such a breath of fresh air at these prices.

Yes they are. Now if someone will come up with some quality lenses that are as good at 1/4 of the price then we would pretty much have it all. smile

Aug 25 14 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Caitin Bre  wrote:

Yes they are. Now if someone will come up with some quality lenses that are as good at 1/4 of the price then we would pretty much have it all. smile

Yongnuo is making a 50/1.4 coming out soon.

Aug 25 14 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

-Jeff Stanton

San Jose, California, US

Godox is the manufacturer.  Neewer and Cheetah are resellers with their private label.  There is already a recall of sorts on the battery back for the 860.  So you may want to wait and see what Yongnuo comes out with.

Aug 25 14 04:08 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

-JAY- wrote:

Yongnuo is making a 50/1.4 coming out soon.

I would be very interested in checking that out. I have a keg (50 1.2) right now but could always use another 50.

Aug 25 14 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-Jeff Stanton wrote:
There is already a recall of sorts on the battery back for the 860.

Source?

Aug 25 14 04:29 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

-Jeff Stanton wrote:
Godox is the manufacturer.  Neewer and Cheetah are resellers with their private label.  There is already a recall of sorts on the battery back for the 860.  So you may want to wait and see what Yongnuo comes out with.

What? never heard of it? I have never had a single problem with any of mine. I have 8 of them now not one problem with any of them. getting another 8.

Aug 25 14 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hello,

Thanks for your recent purchase from New harbor on Amazon.com! We are writing because we were notified by our distributor that some stock we received of Neewer TT850/TT860 speedlights were supplied with the incorrect battery which doesn't perform as it is intended. If your TT850/TT860 battery hasn't performed as expected please let us know, as we have replacements available to send out.

We hope you're happy with your Neewer Speedlight purchase and that it has performed to the advertised specs. If you have had an issue with battery performance please contact us so that we can resolve it for you immediately.

Seems like it's a thing... and surprise, a knockoff import is on top of things, and sending out emails and replacing things.

Aug 26 14 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Caitin Bre  wrote:

Rokinon makes some gorgeous full manual focus lenses.  I have the cine lens trio of t/1.5 glass and they're pretty swell.  The chromatic abberation is horrendous wide open, but there are fixes to it.  However, shooting outdoor bikini with 85mm at an equivalent f/1.4 is pretty great for about $250.  I just have to remember to take several shots with a micro adjustment through the focus to make sure one of them is razor sharp on my chosen point.

Aug 26 14 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

-Jeff Stanton wrote:

I've had 2 of 6 go south. I believe they were bought in April. My understanding is that the ones that were mfg'd after June 2014 are okay.

Aug 27 14 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Phantasmal Images

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Smedley Whiplash wrote:

I've had 2 of 6 go south. I believe they were bought in April. My understanding is that the ones that were mfg'd after June 2014 are okay.

I got mine in Dec 2013, no issues at all.

Aug 27 14 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

cwwmbm

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Hey Jay, you got any shots outside with HSS that we could check out? smile How is it with battling the sun?

Sep 02 14 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

JandRStudios

Houston, Texas, US

i saw this thread sometime last week and immediately went to amazon and made a purchase. absolutely love it!

Thanks OP

going to use it at an event this coming friday.

Sep 02 14 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

cwwmbm wrote:
Hey Jay, you got any shots outside with HSS that we could check out? smile How is it with battling the sun?

Nothing in direct sun yet, haven't found the right shoot for that yet.

This though... 1/32 power in shade (4ish stops less than sunny 16 @ f/1.4 1/640)

https://jayleavitt.com/links/madisan_mm_02.jpg

Compared to ambient:
https://jayleavitt.com/links/madisan_mm_02_ambient.jpg

while I like the ambient (given a little time to work on it, above is OOC with WB adjusted) I like the OOMPH that the conflicting WB and controlled light gives.

Sep 02 14 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

cwwmbm

Sigh... I really need to learn to shoot with the shallow DOF and not wide lenses. Just can't do it for some reason. Cool stuff, thanks!

Sep 02 14 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

cwwmbm wrote:
Sigh... I really need to learn to shoot with the shallow DOF and not wide lenses. Just can't do it for some reason. Cool stuff, thanks!

Step 1: Mess around until it looks good
Step 2: Figure out why it looks good

Sep 02 14 07:43 pm Link

Retoucher

Single Ukrainian

Kherson, Khersons'ka, Ukraine

-Джей- wrote:
у меня было их немного сейчас, но были на длительного перерыва от съемок, и не положить много усилий в вещи в последнее время. Однако теперь, когда я получаю обратно в вещи, которые я хотел бы поделиться своими первыми впечатлениями об Neewer TT850 speedlite. сегодня я продал все мои Profoto передач, чтобы купить больше из них. Мой аукцион всех* мой YongNuos заканчивается в воскресенье в 7:00. Это он. Конец. (*все, кроме 2 560IIs и 3 602s) хотя я все-таки рекомендую YN серия вспышек, как более недорогой, но если вы можете управлять дополнительные $20-$30, не проходите идите...  Основные характеристики: 1.5s корзины на полную (стрельба по 1/2 или 1/4 или меньше - не больше, чем в... это чертовски мгновение.) 650 выстрелов на одной зарядке (опять же в 1/16-1/4 90% времени... я еще не до зарядки аккумуляторной батареи, начиная с марта. Же мощности, как и любой другой флагман flash. С FT-16s беспроводная система... 16-канальный, 16 групп с беспроводной 1/3 stop регулировка по мощности (и по $32 без необходимости аккумуляторы в приемник, хороший... обычно жевать через AAAs на мой нормальный приемники) беспроводной HSS с клетками II Система запуска (в настоящее время только Canon, хотя есть Nikon обходные пути.)  --------------------------------------------------------------------- Я никогда не видел сочетания идеально подходит, этот недорогой. А YongNuos я так люблю удивительны, и служили мне... роскошь менее battery management (и связанных с ними дополнительных расходов, четыре AAs приведение 560II в пределах $20 или около того от Neewer) приятно, я ненавижу зарядку 32 батареи регулярно... Скорость приветствуется, пуз за $140 или так (для клеток II) и дополнительные вспышки и срабатывает на уровне $115 (еще одна вспышка и один приемник) -- конечно YN имеет HSS варианты аналогичным ценам с YN500ex и 622 (который также имеет ttl, это хорошо, но требует 2 622s, так что ближе к $190/$140) 500 мощность поменьше, и медленнее. И wireless power control для 16 групп является блестящим. Я обычно не больше, чем 2 или 3 группы, но даже до сих пор... даже с одним, не успев упасть гремел салон блюдо, чтобы сменить власть-это великолепно, в этом ценовом диапазоне.  Гораздо более скоро.

Очень хорошая статья спасибо

Sep 03 14 03:24 am Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Single Ukrainian wrote:
Очень хорошая статья спасибо

You're welcome.

Sep 03 14 09:19 am Link

Photographer

cwwmbm

Wow that's some horrible translation, I'm guessing auto translate big_smile

Sep 03 14 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

-JAY- wrote:
Nothing in direct sun yet, haven't found the right shoot for that yet.

This though... 1/32 power in shade (4ish stops less than sunny 16 @ f/1.4 1/640)

https://jayleavitt.com/links/madisan_mm_02.jpg

Compared to ambient:
https://jayleavitt.com/links/madisan_mm_02_ambient.jpg

while I like the ambient (given a little time to work on it, above is OOC with WB adjusted) I like the OOMPH that the conflicting WB and controlled light gives.

Agree. I've tested my 860 for HSS, but haven't used it on an actual shoot yet.  I did shoot this yesterday using the 860 and very small Softbox I got on Amazon-

http://www.amazon.com/BestDealUSA-Porta … ht+softbox

160 @ 5.6  D610  85mm D 1.8,  100iso, 860 set to 1/2 power
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69377546/KH0_4977b.jpg

My wife makes veils and dresses etc, so I just did a quick couple of shots for her.

Sep 03 14 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-JAY- wrote:
Seems like it's a thing... and surprise, a knockoff import is on top of things, and sending out emails and replacing things.

Update: I got the email, and said that I wasn't sure... I haven't put them THAT much through their paces to notice significant flaws, so I wasn't sure.

Today: 4 new batteries.

"might be broken, here's some new shit" ain't a bad business practice.

Sep 03 14 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Just looked through my last month's catalog of shoots.

7,219 images taken.

Zero batteries have been charged. Two flashes have 2 (of 3) bars, the other 2 have 1/ea and could use a charge... i guess.

Sep 08 14 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Vic Logan

Brooklyn, New York, US

Got 2 of these a while back to pair up with some 580exIIs. No issues with the batteries so far, But then again I'm not a power user as of yet. Only concern is the receivers seem a little delicate when connected to the flash; bump it up against something and they can come off. Might have to resort to rubber bands to keep them secure when I'm on location. Otherwise, I definitely love the flexibility of the remote on-camera when I need to adjust the power. Very much worth it  for the cost.

Sep 08 14 09:21 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

ok here is something new to try. Jay got me thinking about using the remote to adjust power.
Ok even when using the cells 2 keep the original remote in pocket. set each flash receiver ftr 16s to a different group with keeping the same channel. Should be able to remotely control each flash (using original remote in hand) to different powers and still fire all from the cells 2 (on camera).
Anyone tried it yet? I am giving it a try this weekend.

side note. I have not got any emails about batteries. I have bought mine all through Amazon.

And btw if you have a 5dmk3 or a 6d I have discovered that you best get the cells 2c. Its easy to miss the c and end up with the regular cells 2. It was hit or miss on my 5dmk3 and my 6d but worked fine on my 7d and t3i the c model works perfectly with all 4 of my canon bodies.

Sep 09 14 03:50 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I am addicted to reading Jay's posts, but they usually cost me money.

Sep 09 14 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Caitin Bre  wrote:
ok here is something new to try. Jay got me thinking about using the remote to adjust power.
Ok even when using the cells 2 keep the original remote in pocket. set each flash receiver ftr 16s to a different group with keeping the same channel. Should be able to remotely control each flash (using original remote in hand) to different powers and still fire all from the cells 2 (on camera).
Anyone tried it yet? I am giving it a try this weekend.

The FT-16s transmitter works handheld. I have the flashes set to different groups (and seriously... 16 groups? step up Canikon) and have the FT-16s on a lanyard when using Cells II (and on top of my 622N when using Nikon)

Handheld adjustment works just fine.

Sep 09 14 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Chris Trento

Hackensack, New Jersey, US

-JAY- wrote:

Update: I got the email, and said that I wasn't sure... I haven't put them THAT much through their paces to notice significant flaws, so I wasn't sure.

Today: 4 new batteries.

"might be broken, here's some new shit" ain't a bad business practice.

This is encouraging. Mine are recent purchases so I thought I'd be past the bad batches of batteries but I just did a shoot this weekend (approx 180 images) and even with the flashes set under full power, one ran out of juice and the other drained down at least 1/2 way. I guess I'll be contacting Amazon! I do love these things though. I really like that the receivers don't require batteries and are so small they can fit in the case along with the flash.

Sep 09 14 09:54 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

-JAY- wrote:
The FT-16s transmitter works handheld. I have the flashes set to different groups (and seriously... 16 groups? step up Canikon) and have the FT-16s on a lanyard when using Cells II (and on top of my 622N when using Nikon)

Handheld adjustment works just fine.

Ya might be kinda hard to remember where you set each one of those 16 buggers. But hey very handy for real estate gigs....

Sep 09 14 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Jose Deida

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

This config works great !

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3901/15200441401_dbefc31901.jpg_MG_7431 by josedeidaphotography, on Flickr

Sep 10 14 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Finally did a detailed thing now that I have a few months of used put through them: http://www.shootingonabudget.com/neewer … peedlites/

Dec 13 14 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Random Image

Pocatello, Idaho, US

Just my 2 bits.  I had one with a bad battery, they did send me a new one with very little hassle.  Like other have said, the battery life is amazing.

2 shoots with it so far, still 3/4 battery life.

Dec 26 14 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Random Image wrote:
Just my 2 bits.  I had one with a bad battery, they did send me a new one with very little hassle.  Like other have said, the battery life is amazing.

2 shoots with it so far, still 3/4 battery life.

it's seriously fantastic. I think I've charged my batteries 5 or 6 times since last spring.

Dec 26 14 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Random Image

Pocatello, Idaho, US

Indeed!

My only complaint so far is that I haven't been able to get the HSS to work with my 50D.  Not sure if its me or the flash.

Dec 27 14 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Random Image wrote:
Indeed!

My only complaint so far is that I haven't been able to get the HSS to work with my 50D.  Not sure if its me or the flash.

Are you using the Cells IIc trigger or the normal FT-16s?

Is the flash in HSS mode?  Press and hold the third button for 3-5 seconds.

Dec 27 14 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Random Image

Pocatello, Idaho, US

Honestly not sure which trigger, I am using the neewer branded unit.

Setting the flash to HSS via the button, and then it does show HSS on the flash display, so I am guess it has something to do with the camera or relay.

Dec 27 14 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

JeffB_Photography

Montgomery Village, Maryland, US

The battery for my 850 expanded while charging and blew open the plastic case.  About 1 year old and not a lot of charges done.

Jan 05 15 07:03 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

JeffB_Photography wrote:
The battery for my 850 expanded while charging and blew open the plastic case.

More bang for the buck?

-Sorry. I just couldn't stop myself...  ;0

Jan 05 15 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Random Image

Pocatello, Idaho, US

JeffB_Photography wrote:
The battery for my 850 expanded while charging and blew open the plastic case.  About 1 year old and not a lot of charges done.

Neewer admitted to having a bad crop of batteries.  (It was on the front page of thier webpage for a bit)

They replaced mine free, as it just died, didnt explode.

Might be worth contacting them.

Jan 05 15 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Yarra

San Francisco, California, US

I'm glad I just found this thread and read about the battery recall. I own three of them, with spare batteries for all of them, and two of the batteries have crapped out. No expanding but won't charge. I will definitely contact them about the recall.

Other than that I've been pretty happy with them. I have been THRILLED to not rely on AA batteries.

Comparing to 580exII, there are two weaknesses I've found in them. The t1 flash duration seems to be longer. They do not freeze action nearly as well as Canon Speedlites do. The next thing is they seem to have noticeable color shift. My Canon lights have been pretty consistent but the Neewers can be all over the place. Not only through the power range, but more importantly from shot to shot.

Jan 05 15 03:15 pm Link