Forums > Model Colloquy > During a shoot when talking to the model...

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Models:

Does it annoy you if the photographer explains why they are doing what they are doing?

EG: in the last shoot I would tell the model to move an inch to the... because there was a shadow/highlight I needed to fix.

Or, great look, but give me just a little more intensity.

Now this light will pick up those lines of the dress, and this one will highlight your cheekbones.

Normally I have little to say, but seems that yesterday I got quite chatty.
In fact, in retrospect, I was sounding a bit like I was doing an instructional video.

Aug 10 14 07:49 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

It's the norm and such detailed explanations are helpful.
big_smile

Aug 11 14 04:57 am Link

Model

LauraLuna

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

I do find these comments helpful, so we can both work on a wonderful shoot.

Aug 11 14 08:47 am Link

Model

Anna T

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sometimes i prefer that the photographer keeps it minimal, as far as the photography adjustments go, but  in terms of direction and leading me as the model, its very useful

Aug 11 14 08:51 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

When I explain why I'm doing something..especially when it comes to posing the subject.. I may show them photos on my computer to see what's working, why and what's not.. 

I find most respond well, because now they see what I see and  understand how to improve the shot.

Aug 11 14 09:57 am Link

Model

Phane

Rockville, Maryland, US

J Jessica wrote:
It's the norm and such detailed explanations are helpful.
big_smile

+1

Its way better then getting Images either one of you can't use!
I like it very much

Aug 11 14 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I do this all the time.
I try not to go in to too much explanation (but sometimes I do).

Models have told me they like it.  Much better than hearing nothing at all.

Aug 11 14 10:23 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I can't imagine NOT sharing the why behind the still. That just seems part of the process to me...one that I've never really thought about.

Compare it to the film industry and imagine a great director like Scorcese directing his actors, but not sharing with them his insight or vision for the final product? The actors wouldn't be participants in the process, they would just be following orders.

I think it's vital for the subject to know the "why" to buy into the process.

Aug 11 14 10:30 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm not usually explaining the light on a model or my technical tedium unless the model is having trouble finding their light or I'm having some technical malfunction that effects the flow of the shoot.

Aug 11 14 10:50 am Link

Model

Elizabeth Worth

Denver, Colorado, US

I always find it helpful and interesting personally smile

Aug 11 14 02:14 pm Link

Model

Chloe Selene

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

As long as the explanation is short and direct, I think it can be helpful.  Just don't go into a long spiel on ISO and F stops and we'll be alright.  wink

Aug 11 14 02:21 pm Link

Model

Sandra Vixen

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Just fine. smile

When I direct, I often tell the camera people to secretly film the actor/model during a dry/test run. We often get the most natural expression that way. wink

Most average photographers that I work with (for TFP's and paid) they often just ask me to come around and look at the image for myself after two or three frames. That helps as well.

Aug 11 14 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
Models:

Does it annoy you if the photographer explains why they are doing what they are doing?

EG: in the last shoot I would tell the model to move an inch to the... because there was a shadow/highlight I needed to fix.

Now this light will pick up those lines of the dress, and this one will highlight your cheekbones.

In fact, in retrospect, I was sounding a bit like I was doing an instructional video.

I don't know if it would come across differently depending on how you say it... for example:

A)  Oh, we're getting a shadow (or the light's not quite hitting you right), could you move x y z

or

B)  Could you move an inch to the .... because there is a shadow/highlight, and I want it to highlight your cheekbones or pick p the look of the dress better.

Two different ways of accomplishing the same thing, but which could send different meanings to the person you're working with.

Sometimes it DOES matter HOW you say things as much or more than your intent.

Aug 11 14 02:57 pm Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Elizabeth Worth wrote:

+1
Me too!

So just keep talking... smile
Just make sure you don't press the shutter when I'm talking back or something. Photos of talking people aren't that charming most of the time... tongue

Aug 11 14 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Thought for awhile that this was going to die a typical MM death.

Some very useful feedback.

I felt I was just being overly chatty and giving to much information.

This was during a classic Hollywood style using Fresnel lights (no charge for the tanning session), and the lighting can get very fiddly.
I would take the shot, and before the model moved I would explain why I want her to move 1 inch this way.

Ok, chatty not bad, as long as it is kept under control and nix the too technical stuff.

(note to self: do not revert back to 'Silent Running')

Aug 11 14 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Layla_B wrote:

+1
Me too!

Just make sure you don't press the shutter when I'm talking back or something. Photos of talking people aren't that charming most of the time... tongue

Those are the best...blackmail...model brings me a Latte at the next shoot or I post on FB.
smile  smile  smile

Aug 11 14 04:16 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I like direction. It doesn't matter if it comes with an explanation or not.

Aug 11 14 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Any time I've ever done that in a workshop the person who found the practice most objectionable was usually the instructor.

"They don't need or care to know that!" -- that sort of thing

Aug 11 14 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
Any time I've ever done that in a workshop the person who found the practice most objectionable was usually the instructor.

"They don't need or care to know that!" -- that sort of thing

Interesting thing is that most of the models answering here seem to disagree with your instructor.

Perhaps getting into the merits of Profoto vs Bron, might be a stretch.

Aug 11 14 11:49 pm Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Herman Surkis wrote:
Those are the best...blackmail...model brings me a Latte at the next shoot or I post on FB.
smile  smile  smile

Lol, I'll bring homemade baked goodies like cookies or cupcakes whatever you prefer (even allergy-safe if necessary) ^-^

(Sorry, back on topic now... tongue )

Aug 12 14 08:59 am Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

I don't mind it in the least.  I think it gives me more awareness of my surroundings in order to get the shot.

Aug 13 14 01:18 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

I don't really care either way. Most photographers I shoot with know I'm also a photographer so maybe they feel like they don't need to explain stuff that I probably already know.

Aug 13 14 03:24 pm Link

Model

Nym Faea

San Francisco, California, US

Explaining is good, especially for newer models. It helps them understand what goes in to getting that shot. It would only annoy me if you take so long to explain that the flow gets broken. But that's usually not a problem.

In general, the best feedback is when the photographer explains what's going on and what they're seeing. Sometimes what they see is totally different from the model's perspective. Hell, I don't know that there's an awkward telephone pole coming out of my head, because it's twenty feet behind me. Explaining what's going on also means that the model isn't second guessing herself.

Aug 13 14 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

In my early days of photography, I would simply "get into the zone" and not say a word during a shoot, other than to give simple direction.  I discovered this "weird'ed out" some models, the silence being deafening.  Now, I tend to ramble.

Aug 14 14 07:07 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Sometimes the model asks me what I am doing.  Like when I change a lens.

Aug 14 14 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

hbutz New York wrote:
In my early days of photography, I would simply "get into the zone" and not say a word during a shoot, other than to give simple direction.  I discovered this "weird'ed out" some models, the silence being deafening.  Now, I tend to ramble.

I always have casual  conversation with the model during the shoot.

Aug 14 14 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Ken Warren Photography

GLENMOORE, Pennsylvania, US

NYMPH wrote:
Explaining is good, especially for newer models. It helps them understand what goes in to getting that shot. It would only annoy me if you take so long to explain that the flow gets broken. But that's usually not a problem.

In general, the best feedback is when the photographer explains what's going on and what they're seeing. Sometimes what they see is totally different from the model's perspective. Hell, I don't know that there's an awkward telephone pole coming out of my head, because it's twenty feet behind me. Explaining what's going on also means that the model isn't second guessing herself.

"Pardon me, miss, but you appear to have a large tree, probably a black walnut, growing out of your crotch. Could you please shift a few feet to my left? Thank you!"

big_smile

Aug 14 14 10:27 am Link

Model

Kirst

Derry, New Hampshire, US

I always like to learn at my shoots :]
And I'm always grateful when a photographer respects me enough to want me to be on the same page.
Although, once I had a shoot with a newbie photographer who told me all about every last thing he was doing, which was annoying at first because it felt a little degrading, as if the thought I didn't know the first thing about photography. But then I realized he was doing it to keep his confidence flowing, and he didn't mean to be rude. He was nervous and needed to maintain the illusion that he knew what he was doing. (I think we've all been there!)
*ramble ramble*
anyway, what I'm getting at is that it depends on how you say things. If you treat the model like an equal, it will probably come off as such. Keep in mind that some models know more than others. Also keep in mind that some models reaallllly don't want to be educated. (hopefully you don't get stuck with anyone like that!)

Aug 14 14 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Azimuth Arts

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I like to tell the model why I am doing things.  Sometimes when I am going for a specific shadow it is essential that the model understand that only small adjustments are required, and knowing why makes it better.

Also when working with a newer model by explaining how the light works she can learn for future shoots.  And when working with experienced models I can usually tell them the effect I want and they can find the pose without me giving specific movements.

And of course the model rarely can see what I see so she has no idea about background, or if her skirt or hair is falling a little off from what I want.

I do always feel a bit cheesy - like I am doing an ANTM shoot or appearing on an episode of a bad sitcom version of a photo shoot - when every frame has me saying "beautiful" or "that's it".  But I also know when I don't communicate every few shots some models begin to wonder if what they are doing is what I want - and that's when a shoot can start to turn bad if the model is not confident in what she is doing.

I don't think there is anything wrong with communicating about the work, or for that matter maintaining some general chatter to make conversation as long as you steer away from the usual danger topics like politics and religion.

Just my $0.02

Aug 14 14 10:44 am Link

Photographer

M Barnes Photography

Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand

I think it's important when an adjustment is being made when it's not anything to do with the model.

It's natural when you're in front of the camera and asked to do something differently to assume you were doing something wrong beforehand. I never want to rattle a model's confidence like that, so if an adjustment is because of a shadow or a focus thing or to make clothing sit differently, I say that.

Aug 14 14 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Layla_B wrote:
+1
Me too!

lol so true. I sometimes do that just to get the model to laugh, same as taking a photo when she's fixing her hair (lots of John Mayer guitar type faces there) or whatever.

Sometimes they actually make for pretty great shots!

If I'm pausing the shoot to fix something on my end, even if it's blatantly obvious (changing a strobe position, adjusting my shooting angle) I explain what I'm doing. Especially as I do a lot of nude or implied nude work, I make it 100% clear why I'm walking towards the model.

Aug 14 14 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
Ok, chatty not bad, as long as it is kept under control and nix the too technical stuff.

Just like photographers, models have varied interests.  Some are interested in posing nuances.  Some are interested in technique.  It's my job to keep up her interest in what's happening.  An experienced model recently wanted to make lighting suggestions and then see the results.  We had fun.

Herman Surkis wrote:
(note to self: do not revert back to 'Silent Running')

Elizabeth Worth wrote:

It's all part of my "patter."

Aug 14 14 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Cool answers.

Since I am doing it all on my own, there are times when I am fiddling with the lights, and get them looking great.

Then I go to the camera and "Crap!!!"

Model gives me a look, and I have to explain that lighting that looks great when I am standing beside her may not be so great when seen through the viewfinder.

Getting old, and even I am forgetting that.

Aug 15 14 02:19 am Link

Model

Rockabella

Bargara, Queensland, Australia

In all honesty, it bugs me more when the photographer is completely silent. I never know what to expect! Pointing out helpful things here and there makes for better images smile

Aug 20 14 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

If you are shooting 120 film, it's good to inform the model that it's a roll of film and not a shotgun shell, so that there is no misunderstanding.  lol

https://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/ekmps/shops/matt5791/images/rollei-infrared-400-120-roll-film-838-p.jpg
120 film roll
----
https://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/5797/5797,1236915104,5/stock-photo-single-shotgun-shell-isolated-on-white-26555809.jpg
shotgun shell

Aug 20 14 02:09 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
Models:

I like it when the photographer gets as you put it chatty. LOL
Its when they are silent it gets eerie....

Aug 20 14 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Korn

Seattle, Washington, US

I insist on complete silence and pitch black.  Wait, I think I just figured out why none of my pictures seem to turn out.

Aug 20 14 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

BeautybyGod

i used to tell my models, who were mostly inexperienced at the time, that i would be babbling about what i was doing, and why, when i was adjusting lights, etc. so if they wanted to learn a little, they could.

now i seem to have developed this destructive habit of cracking jokes just when i'm about to get a shot. i have to watch that.

Aug 20 14 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
Models:

I believe that developing rapport with the model is my job.  I need to "read" the model and communicate appropriately.

During a recent photo shoot, the model was VERY engaged.  She suggested lighting, poses, etc. and wanted to critique the results on the back of the camera.  I love this model and we had a great time.  I should say that I was able to control my share of the frames.  The model wanted to see those also.

Other models, not so much.

Aug 21 14 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Ackerman

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I talk, I joke, I smile! Anything to get my 'subject' to react..

Aug 21 14 03:45 pm Link