Forums > Model Colloquy > Would I have been a jerk to call the shoot?

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

When a model asks "what should I bring" I give them a list, and on that list for an outdoor shoot is reddish blush and reddish lipstick.  This is mainly because we have a lot of pale skin in my area, and the makeup adds contrast and definition.

I just had a shoot where I had previously seen her non-makeup photos...had a flat, pale, face. I emphasized the makeup and why I needed it.  She didn't show up with the blush, offered no reason for not having it other than she could pinch her cheeks, it was too far away to go buy, and now I'm stuck in photoshop trying to fake what should have been there in the first place.

This was a negotiated paid shoot.  I believe this should allow me to tell a model, within reason, how I want her to look?  And I take silence on a list of requirements as consent.  I went ahead with the shoot knowing it likely wouldn't turn out...and I also paid her as agreed.  So here I am bogged down in Photoshop wishing I had called the shoot.

So...the question is...would I have been a jerk to call the shoot on an issue such as failure to bring the makeup requested?

Sep 10 14 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

No.

Sep 10 14 05:07 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

If it is something super important and I am the photographer, I make sure to have a backup. It's good in case the model brings the wrong thing (or forgets). I'm color-impaired so I make sure to color check with ladies that work at make up counters and program into my head what color is what (why do makeup brands name things asinine things like "whimsy"?! What the fuck color are you, lipstick?!).

Sep 10 14 05:09 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

David Stone Imaging wrote:
...I just had a shoot where I had previously seen her non-makeup photos...had a flat, pale, face. I emphasized the makeup and why I needed it.  She didn't show up with the blush, offered no reason for not having it ...

This was a negotiated paid shoot.  ...

and I also paid her as agreed.  So here I am bogged down in Photoshop wishing I had called the shoot.

So...the question is...would I have been a jerk to call the shoot on an issue such as failure to bring the makeup requested?

No, I don't think you would've been a jerk but, rescheduling would have been better. You asked her to bring make up, she failed and she also failed to communicate it with you. Heck, you might have been able to bring the make up if she had told you.

In your case you paid and then suffered the time, if you really wanted to keep your word and pay that is one thing but, I would've still cancelled and saved yourself the grief on top of it. Heck, I recently paid at a local hamburger stand after I realized what games the staff was playing on me and taking so long to make my burgers and after my third visit I realized that people who came in after me and ordered the same or less were served before!  Last time I was there I said, "Here, I'm paying, forget it..." The server jokingly said, "its almost done," which is what they said each time to keep me waiting...I said, NO, maybe someone else will want it. Paid and left.

So, I learned my lesson too with a clear conscience, like you would've had if you cancelled too!

Jen

Sep 10 14 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

When a model asks "what should I bring" I give them a list, and on that list for an outdoor shoot is reddish blush and reddish lipstick.  This is mainly because we have a lot of pale skin in my area, and the makeup adds contrast and definition.

I just had a shoot where I had previously seen her non-makeup photos...had a flat, pale, face. I emphasized the makeup and why I needed it.  She didn't show up with the blush, offered no reason for not having it other than she could pinch her cheeks, it was too far away to go buy, and now I'm stuck in photoshop trying to fake what should have been there in the first place.

This was a negotiated paid shoot.  I believe this should allow me to tell a model, within reason, how I want her to look?  And I take silence on a list of requirements as consent.  I went ahead with the shoot knowing it likely wouldn't turn out...and I also paid her as agreed.  So here I am bogged down in Photoshop wishing I had called the shoot.

I agree.  The makeup can make a great difference in the photos.
An experienced model knows what to bring.  That is why they are such a pleasure to work with.

Sep 10 14 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I agree.  The makeup can make a great difference in the photos.
An experienced model knows what to bring.  That is why they are such a pleasure to work with.

Yes...she is a relatively new model.  I told her I would get her some images...but now I'm not so sure.

Sep 10 14 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

No, I don't think you would have been a jerk.
You were paying and calling the shots.  She under delivered.
That would piss me off.

Sep 10 14 05:22 pm Link

Model

Emily Smiles

Columbia, South Carolina, US

That's why you hire experienced models with references. You should have called it, and you certainly would not have been a jerk. In the future, definitely have back up of the products you require.

Sep 10 14 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

Emily Smiles wrote:
That's why you hire experienced models with references. You should have called it, and you certainly would not have been a jerk. In the future, definitely have back up of the products you require.

Well...there is a lot that goes into choosing a model and I don't limit myself to just the experienced.

Being a "guy"...where would I begin looking for an inexpensive makeup kit?  I would either give it to her afterwards...or toss it...right?  Maybe this should be another thread?

Sep 10 14 05:41 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

Well...there is a lot that goes into choosing a model and I don't limit myself to just the experienced.

Being a "guy"...where would I begin looking for an inexpensive makeup kit?  I would either give it to her afterwards...or toss it...right?  Maybe this should be another thread?

Wet n wild and NYC are two pretty decent drugstore brands. $1-$3 for a makeup item. I remember NYC "sheer red" in $0.99 tube looks good on everyone!

Sep 10 14 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

a raw muse wrote:
Wet n wild and NYC are two pretty decent drugstore brands. $1-$3 for a makeup item. I remember NYC "sheer red" in $0.99 tube looks good on everyone!

Thanks! At a buck a tube, I can afford an assortment.  I need to find the same kind of thing going on in blush.  Those two brands should be good for an Internet search.

Sep 10 14 05:52 pm Link

Model

Emily Smiles

Columbia, South Carolina, US

As someone else said, Wet & Wild has a good line for your purposes. So does E.L.F., which I know Target carries. You could get a palette and spatula out some of the lip color for her to apply with a disposable brush, and sharpen a lip pencil after to sanitize. (it wouldn't hurt to spritz it with alcohol also!) If you could sanitize all of the make up and brushes after she used them, you wouldn't have to give it to her or throw it out.

Sep 10 14 06:03 pm Link

Model

Victoria Ellis

San Diego, California, US

If it's cheap make-up let her keep it after. Keep a stash of $1 blush and lipsticks on hand. If a model doesn't own these products, now she does.

Blush comes with an applicator brush and all you really need for lipstick is a tissue to blot.

Sep 10 14 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If the makeup was important to the look I would suggest hiring a MUA.  I don't expect models to be abel to do a professional job on their own makeup, that isn't their job to do.

Still if that was what was expected sending them home is not out of line.

Sep 10 14 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

howard r

Los Angeles, California, US

that's why i keep very basic clothes (mostly from thrift stores) and makeup and hair products on hand. learned that lesson the hard way too many times.

Sep 10 14 06:14 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

Thanks! At a buck a tube, I can afford an assortment.  I need to find the same kind of thing going on in blush.  Those two brands should be good for an Internet search.

You can use lipstick as a blush by applying it like you would a cream blush.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ … ream+blush

A lot of inexpensive drug store brand blushes are low pigment and can disappear on camera, or may have a shimmer/glitter you can't see in package.  A matte lipstick makes a matte blush, and you can also get a dewy look with glossier lipstick, or by mixing with a moisturizer, and a little will go a long way.

Sep 10 14 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

AJ_In_Atlanta wrote:
If the makeup was important to the look I would suggest hiring a MUA.  I don't expect models to be abel to do a professional job on their own makeup, that isn't their job to do.

Still if that was what was expected sending them home is not out of line.

For the sake of brevity, I left out some of the details.  I shoot on location, and seldom use a MUA.  This shoot took me 75 miles from home...and about 15 from hers, as she chose the location.  Affording her and the drive was all this new model warranted...although I do wish I could afford a ride-along MUA to all my location shoots.

Sep 10 14 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Daemon

West Hazleton, Pennsylvania, US

I don't know how long you had scheduled for the shoot and how tight the timing was, but was there no nearby CVS, rite aid, walgreens, etc at which someone could have quickly purchased some inexpensive makeup to save the shoot?

Sep 10 14 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I had this same experience before. I also shot and did the work in post. I should not have. And to make things worse the model turned out to be a hassle to deal with. Not following directions is the first clue that you SHOULD cancel the shoot.

Sep 10 14 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

Strength Studios wrote:
I don't know how long you had scheduled for the shoot and how tight the timing was, but was there no nearby CVS, rite aid, walgreens, etc at which someone could have quickly purchased some inexpensive makeup to save the shoot?

I stated it was "too far away to go buy."  It ended up we only had 1-1/2 hours left to shoot for a 2-hour scheduled shoot.  Two reasons...we were on location out in "nature" and would have lost the afternoon sun, and she had plans afterwards.  The fact I drove 75 miles and didn't get a full shoot in didn't set well with me either.

Sep 10 14 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

Nico Simon Princely wrote:
I had this same experience before. I also shot and did the work in post. I should not have. And to make things worse the model turned out to be a hassle to deal with. Not following directions is the first clue that you SHOULD cancel the shoot.

Experience is a good teacher!  Next time I plan to cancel...but I want to be sure I don't over-react.  I think most of us photographers have learned to accommodate the various personalities we deal with...but sometimes it is difficult to know where "the line is" when accommodation is the result of intimidation or someone exercising too much of their own will into our show.

Sep 10 14 06:48 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I make sure to tell photographers if they want a certain look then to either hire a MUA or find one that will do it for free. I suck at make up. Anything beyond eye liner and foundation is pushing it.

Me+blush=rag doll clown

Sep 10 14 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

For the sake of brevity, I left out some of the details.  I shoot on location, and seldom use a MUA.  This shoot took me 75 miles from home...and about 15 from hers, as she chose the location.  Affording her and the drive was all this new model warranted...although I do wish I could afford a ride-along MUA to all my location shoots.

Well I do know a few photographers who are very good MUA themselves big_smile Otherwise ask a MUA you know some decent brands of inexpensive makeup to keep on hand

Sep 10 14 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

If you're paying someone to do a job they should be doing it to your satisfaction.  If you tell them the requirements of the job and they choose to ignore them you shouldn't hesitate to to cancel the job.  You paid this model for doing a poor job and burdened yourself with a lot of extra work to try to get the results you really wanted.  As mentioned, work with real professionals.

Sep 10 14 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Sounds like it was an important part of your conception of the shoot and she was getting paid to show up on time and ready to shoot as specified.  That old Buddy, constitutes a "Flake".

Sep 10 14 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

Stephen Fletcher wrote:
Sounds like it was an important part of your conception of the shoot and she was getting paid to show up on time and ready to shoot as specified.  That old Buddy, constitutes a "Flake".

Ha...when I saw your name...I thought you'd say everyone knows I'm a jerk anyway! smile  Yeah...in hindsight I cut this new model way too much slack to avoid feeling like a jerk.  But...as you point out...there is more to being a flake than just not showing up.

Sep 10 14 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Ha...when I saw your name...I thought you'd say everyone knows I'm a jerk anyway! smile  Yeah...in hindsight I cut this new model way too much slack to avoid feeling like a jerk.  But...as you point out...there is more to being a flake than just not showing up.

Hell no, I have kept your secret about being a jerk for 47 years.  And you have done the same for me.

Sep 10 14 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

You want makeup then hire a makeup artist.

I hate when photographers are too cheap and try to squeeze multiple services from the model to do the hair & makeup etc and then complain about it afterwards that they didn't get what they wanted.

Models are hired to model. Make-up artist are hired to apply makeup.

If you want a specific look or makeup then you can provide it.

As a model their job description is to model.

Sep 10 14 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Nope...not asking for much.

Quick fix in photoshop really.

Sep 10 14 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

A-M-P wrote:
You want makeup then hire a makeup artist. I hate when photographers are too cheap and try to get the model to do the hair & makeup and then complain about it afterwards that they didn't get what they wanted. Models are hired to model, Make up artist are hired to apply makeup.

I hear ya but every gal owns a little blush...not asking for much...LOL

Sep 10 14 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Marin Photography NYC wrote:

You'd be surprise. I know girls that don't wear or own any makeup at all.

I personally don't wear blush it just doesn't look good on me. I instead wear highlighter and bronzer.

Sep 10 14 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

A-M-P wrote:
You want makeup then hire a makeup artist.

I hate when photographers are too cheap and try to squeeze multiple services from the model to do the hair & makeup etc and then complain about it afterwards that they didn't get what they wanted.

Models are hired to model. Make-up artist are hired to apply makeup.

If you want a specific look or makeup then you can provide it.

As a model their job description is to model.

Most of the Pros I have worked with can do their own basic Make up and Hair.  Some of them are pretty damn good with lighting too.

Sep 10 14 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

A-M-P wrote:
You want makeup then hire a makeup artist. I hate when photographers are too cheap and try to get the model to do the hair & makeup and then complain about it afterwards that they didn't get what they wanted. Models are hired to model, Make up artist are hired to apply makeup.

Well...geez...Angie.  Do you afford a maid, cook, butler, driver, house cleaner and gardner?  Or are you capable of doing some of that yourself?

Sep 10 14 07:53 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Your model definitely should have said something, but I don't know if lacking blush is worth calling off an entire shoot for. If blush was so significant that one would cancel a shoot over it, I think, if I were a photographer, I would have brought a spare myself.

Just as an aside as well, be careful with always requesting blush to add color. It can look a little goofy on some ladies - especially if they aren't sure what shade to get for themselves or how best to apply it to their features.

Sep 10 14 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

IDiivil wrote:
Your model definitely should have said something, but I don't know if lacking blush is worth calling off an entire shoot for. If blush was so significant that one would cancel a shoot over it, I think, if I were a photographer, I would have brought a spare myself.

Just as an aside as well, be careful with always requesting blush to add color. It can look a little goofy on some ladies - especially if they aren't sure what shade to get for themselves or how best to apply it to their features.

I know very little about makeup.  Be it blush or whatever for coloring the cheek/cheekbone areas...we are going from 3 dimensions to 2, and different colors are needed for contrast and definition.  I realize an MUA could give me what I want...and I might go that route in the future.  But I thought nearly all women started learning about makeup when they were in middle school.

According to some, I am assuming way too much, and expecting way too much of a woman that wants to call herself a model.  It sounds like makeup is one more thing I should be thoroughly checking on before the shoot.

Sep 10 14 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

You should have fired her. Your budget was already strained and she decided that your vision, without telling you upfront, was really unimportant.

Sep 10 14 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Marin Photography NYC wrote:

Nope in NC I dealt with models who had no make-up

Sep 10 14 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

According to some, I am assuming way too much, and expecting way too much of a woman that wants to call herself a model.  It sounds like makeup is one more thing I should be thoroughly checking on before the shoot.

You have wasted time money and didnt get what you needed
Time to be more assertive
https://www.loserssayno.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/fired3.jpg

Sep 10 14 08:47 pm Link

Model

CaraH

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am terrible with my own makeup- the most I do is concealer and mascara. But I am upfront with photographers about this when scheduling a shoot. I probably wouldn't even know how to do my own blush without looking stupid!

Sep 10 14 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Why don't you live large and hire an MUA ?

Sep 10 14 09:42 pm Link