Forums > Model Colloquy > Would I have been a jerk to call the shoot?

Model

- Auroraa -

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

You absolutely had the right to cancel/reschedule a shoot.

If you work with less experienced models on a regular basis, make sure you have an inexpensive makeup kit available. You'll need it more than once. wink

Also, if the model is inexperienced, your best bet would be to call/txt her the night before to remind her what to bring. Get a confirmation from her that she is bringing it!

Ah, the price that the photogs have to pay for working with less experienced models...tongue

Oct 15 14 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

GreenEyedNude wrote:

If you work with less experienced models on a regular basis, make sure you have an inexpensive makeup kit available. You'll need it more than once. wink

Also, if the model is inexperienced, your best bet would be to call/txt her the night before to remind her what to bring. Get a confirmation from her that she is bringing it!

Ah, the price that the photogs have to pay for working with less experienced models...tongue

or maybe it's the price photogs pay for being less experienced.

Oct 17 14 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

GreenEyedNude wrote:

Ah, the price that the photogs have to pay for working with less experienced models...tongue (OP emphasis)

L A U B E N H E I M E R wrote:
or maybe it's the price photogs pay for being less experienced.

Clever. smile

I'll side with leaving the inexperienced "models" behind. 

Truth is, I don't think I will ever be experienced enough to really know "who will do what they say they are going to do," or "who will decide they didn't want to follow instructions when they show up."  People will be people.  The best thing one can do is bet on someone's track record...and that's where the experiened model wins out.

Oct 17 14 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

David Stone Imaging wrote:
Clever. smile

Truth is, I don't think I will ever be experienced enough to really know "who will do what they say they are going to do," or "who will decide they didn't want to follow instructions when they show up."  People will be people.  The best thing one can do is bet on someone's track record...and that's where the experiened model wins out.

but then perhaps you're just trying to use their experience to make up for your lack of experience.

Oct 19 14 11:16 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

but then perhaps you're just trying to use their experience to make up for your lack of experience.

+1

Oct 19 14 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Clever. smile

The only way to separate the experienced models from the non-experienced models, is to have had the experience of working with a less-than-experienced model in the past and hopefully learn from that experience, in my experience. big_smile

Oct 19 14 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

Clever. smile

My lack of experience with what?  Perhaps you can be a little less lofty, and a bit more specific?

Oct 20 14 01:18 am Link

Photographer

Kevin M

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I'm surprised this thread is still going.
End of the day, if you're paying, you have every right to expect what you want. Incidentally, I find that a lot of these 'problems' between creatives all have the same fundamental handicap: Lack of communication. Picking up the phone and clearly communicating needs seems to be a lost art, and the root of all these problems.

Hope you got the information you needed in this thread.

Oct 20 14 06:06 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

My lack of experience with what?  Perhaps you can be a little less lofty, and a bit more specific?

lipstick was it?

Oct 20 14 08:28 am Link

Photographer

DAVISICON

San Antonio, Texas, US

if its critical to the "look" your going for in your photographs?, of course you should be able to cancel, I would have cancelled or rescheduled and explained why.  I had a model show up after he decided 2 tanning bed sessions the night before would make him look better, so he had a soft red/pink cast all over, so I sent him home. I had another show up with stuble when I wanted a clean shaven face, so I pulled out a new razor and shave cream and gave him the choice to shave or go home, he of course shaved. There are many types of photographers some go with any look, others look for and plan for a certain "look" for each shoot, so if the planned look is interrupted , then cancel and explain.

Oct 20 14 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Matt Blais Photography

Riverside, California, US

I'd be happy a live, breathing model actually showed up...

Oct 20 14 09:56 am Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Garry k wrote:
Why don't you live large and hire an MUA ?

in for a penny & all that...

Oct 20 14 10:04 am Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

lipstick was it?

No....actually reddish blush for contrast...she wore lipstick.  I was experienced enough to know what I wanted, and sent her a list with less than a half-dozen items on it with the instructions that if there is a problem with any of these to "please advise."  We discussed the list a few days before the shoot.  She led me to believe everything was covered.

Had I known the blush was a problem beforehand, I could have come up with a workaround.  I also used to be a studio shooter where I could keep things around for all kinds of contingencies, or be able to go down the block to a store.  But I'm a location shooter now, and do a lot out in nature.  If I don't bring it, we aren't likely to be able to get it.  I have a contingency bag with first aid items and a lot of other things.  It now has the reds from the stage makeup I used for body paint.

Oct 20 14 11:20 am Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

Garry k wrote:
Why don't you live large and hire an MUA ?

John Horwitz wrote:
in for a penny & all that...

Hindsight is 20/20.  However, she has contacted me for a follow-on shoot, and I posted a casting call for a MUA, and can't find anyone willing to travel that far.

Oct 20 14 11:25 am Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

Kevin M wrote:
I'm surprised this thread is still going.
End of the day, if you're paying, you have every right to expect what you want. Incidentally, I find that a lot of these 'problems' between creatives all have the same fundamental handicap: Lack of communication. Picking up the phone and clearly communicating needs seems to be a lost art, and the root of all these problems.

Hope you got the information you needed in this thread.

I posted my thanks some time ago.  I did get the info I needed.  Just when I think I've seen the last of this thread, it gets bumped.

I don't think there was a lack of communication here.  The model doesn't ordinarily wear anything other than lipstick, and at this point I think she just decided this is the way she wanted to look at the shoot.

Oct 20 14 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

You should live by the golden rule.... the man with the gold makes the rules.

Oct 20 14 11:38 am Link

Model

Nadia Ruslanova

Tampa, Florida, US

Well...there is a lot that goes into choosing a model and I don't limit myself to just the experienced.

Being a "guy"...where would I begin looking for an inexpensive makeup kit?  I would either give it to her afterwards...or toss it...right?  Maybe this should be another thread?

She doesn't do her job AND she gets free shit from you are the shoot? No way.

Oct 03 15 04:22 pm Link

Model

Michelle Genevieve

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

I don’t think this is so cut and dried as it seems.

I have, as a photographer, worked with some models who have loads of undeveloped talent and little experience. I’ve had my share of models who have zero makeup skills, and so I invested in a kit just for the studio. Nothing fancy, but my preferred makeup is on hand to keep the shoot from going south.

And yes, afterwards I have a chat with the model about arriving with what she needs to have on hand in order to do her job, and that she ought to take this more seriously if she hopes to keep modeling.

Sure, you could have called the session off, and nobody would blame you if you had. And while I am not suggesting that you do the model’s job for her it might be worthwhile to have a backup kit on hand. I knew a model whose car was broken into enroute and her makeup kit and wardrobe were stolen. I had those things handy and the shoot went as planned.

Just a thought.

Oct 03 15 05:14 pm Link

Model

NolaChick

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

You asked her to do a job and she didn't do it. Calling the shoot would not have made you a jerk.

Oct 08 15 02:03 pm Link