Forums > Model Colloquy > Why are models so difficult lately?

Photographer

ShapeTheLight

Garner, North Carolina, US

The models I have shot with were great thus far..But for the last month I have had nothing but let downs lately.. A total of 5 models have messaged me back once I reached out to them. All saying yes they want to shoot.  But then after that the lack of communication has been ridiculous. No since of urgency to plan the shoot etc..
And on top of this the usual excuse is how busy they are.
I screen models profiles pretty well and look for active members..So not sure why so many here say they want to shoot, but in reality leave you hanging when you leave messages or emails. What gives?

Sep 13 14 01:18 pm Link

Model

_Sapphyre_

Port Saint Lucie, Florida, US

I know for myself that it is sometimes a struggle betweent juggling a part time job to make a living (and it's horrible schedule that is made up every week) and planning shoots with people. Sometimes days that a photographer has off, a model may not have off. Modeling is a fun but serious hobby for me, I would never flake out on an appointment unless there were circumstances that came up that are out of my control.

But the key thing I tell people is Communicate! It's not that hard to shoot a text or email these days. Just keep weeding out the bad ones, there's decent models out there if given the chance. smile

Sep 13 14 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

ShapeTheLight

Exactly^^^ It isn't a scheduling conflict..It is flat out communication..With technology today, there is no excuse not to be able too. Text,email,FB, all make it easy to talk and notifications come right to your phone... It's getting old..

Sep 13 14 01:41 pm Link

Model

Kahula

Tucson, Arizona, US

Quicksilver007 wrote:
I know for myself that it is sometimes a struggle betweent juggling a part time job to make a living (and it's horrible schedule that is made up every week) and planning shoots with people. Sometimes days that a photographer has off, a model may not have off. Modeling is a fun but serious hobby for me, I would never flake out on an appointment unless there were circumstances that came up that are out of my control.

+1

Sep 13 14 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

JCookPhotography

Laguna Niguel, California, US

Ditto.... have had my fair share of that a lot lately.... its mostly the communication factor.   If your going to start dialogue with someone about shooting, than you should make an effort to keep the communication going instead of falling off the world for weeks at a time.    Its annoying.... I understand we all have life to deal with,  but its not hard to make a quick message letting others know.

Sep 13 14 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

ShapeTheLight

JCookPhotography wrote:
Ditto.... have had my fair share of that a lot lately.... its mostly the communication factor.   If your going to start dialogue with someone about shooting, than you should make an effort to keep the communication going instead of falling off the world for weeks at a time.    Its annoying.... I understand we all have life to deal with,  but its not hard to make a quick message letting others know.

This^^^^

Sep 13 14 02:01 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

ShootRaw wrote:
The models I have shot with were great thus far..But for the last month I have had nothing but let downs lately.. A total of 5 models have messaged me back once I reached out to them. All saying yes they want to shoot.  But then after that the lack of communication has been ridiculous. No since of urgency to plan the shoot etc..
I screen models profiles pretty well and look for active members..So not sure why so many here say they want to shoot, but in reality leave you hanging when you leave messages or emails. What gives?

You're looking at only one side of the coin.
The other side is, "Why are photographers so difficult lately?"

People in general are becoming more of the mind that no response is a viable response.
You could attribute it to the general apathy of the general population.

Sep 13 14 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

ShootRaw wrote:

it's the "reaching out"....

i hate that phrase.....

Sep 13 14 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

ShootRaw wrote:

I hear you and agree.

Sep 13 14 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

waynes world pics

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

ShootRaw wrote:

This^^^^

I agree,it's been a huge problem lately.Seems motivation just isn't there.When I send model more msgs to try and get a shoot booked,it starts to turn into a "cat and mouse" chase, and ends up in complete frustration.Last one that really got me, was model msgs me night before booked shoot,to tell me she was assaulted and might have broken her arm.Frankly,I just prefer if I was told, "don't want to shoot,so stop asking"...cause this seems to be what's happening more and more.A great deal of procrastination,and no follow through...my msg box is loaded with shoot discussions that go on endlessly, and never resulted in a shoot.

Sep 13 14 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Winston Image

San Jose, California, US

JoJo wrote:
People in general are becoming more of the mind that no response is a viable response.

+1

Sep 13 14 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

PANHEAD PHOTOGRAPHY

San Francisco, California, US

ShootRaw wrote:
Exactly^^^ It isn't a scheduling conflict..It is flat out communication..With technology today, there is no excuse not to be able too. Text,email,FB, all make it easy to talk and notifications come right to your phone... It's getting old..

"It's getting old"

Give up now !
You're taking this to seriously
You're gonna stress your self out

It's just pictures ,

Sep 13 14 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

LdG

Seattle, Washington, US

I think it's cyclical, maybe something to do with the season.  I've also noticed an ebb and flow with models in a given area.  Sometimes it's fat with talent, and then a ghost town.

It'll pass.

Sep 13 14 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

In general, and in my opinion, ...

...  Beginning & intermediate photographers are often easily frustrated, and
...  Better photographers find a way to blast through obstacles.

We lack sufficient information to discuss why this is happening to you, but if it bothers you, you can...

...  Try to improve your selection criteria,
...  Develop working relationships with the best models,
...  Ensure that the models' compensation meets or exceed their expectation,
...  Produce the kind of work the models want in their portfolio.

Good luck.

Sep 13 14 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

ShootRaw wrote:

Don't tell anyone, but they actually have a contest going to see how many photographers they can get to start threads complaining about models in the model forum.

To answer your question though...   apparently they are just not that interested.

If they were interested, they would stay in touch and stay invested.  If they are not, then they do what you described, so you should consider yourself fortunate that they did not waste your time further, and did not show up to a shoot where they were just not that into it.

In other words, if they really are not that interested after all, then they are doing you a favor by leaving you hanging.  Get over it and find those who do want to shoot.

It is not new, it just seems to be a new experience for you.

Sep 13 14 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

It appears to me that in my area anyways, there are more and more people filling out model profiles that never end up doing any real modeling.   I think many just like being able to say they are models and/or hope they will get incredibly high offers. 

All a potential model needs to fill out a MM profile is a few images of herself, and there's no incentive to delete inactive profiles.

I've also had great experiences with the many MM models I've worked with, but I agree, for each of them, there seems to be many more who aren't really all that interested in modeling.

Sep 13 14 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

waynes world pics wrote:

I agree,it's been a huge problem lately.Seems motivation just isn't there.When I send model more msgs to try and get a shoot booked,it starts to turn into a "cat and mouse" chase, and ends up in complete frustration.Last one that really got me, was model msgs me night before booked shoot,to tell me she was assaulted and might have broken her arm.Frankly,I just prefer if I was told, "don't want to shoot,so stop asking"...cause this seems to be what's happening more and more.A great deal of procrastination,and no follow through...my msg box is loaded with shoot discussions that go on endlessly, and never resulted in a shoot.

Yes, this is very common. You're not doing anything wrong. Don't take it personally.

It's unfortunate that there are some who need to create facades of themselves on the forums. It's a part of the denial process.

Sep 13 14 02:46 pm Link

Model

Sandra Vixen

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I think another factor is money, how much are you paying them?

A lot of directors and even photographers lately have asked me to work for them, and often times I ask them how much are they paying and they often don't even respond after that.

If you are looking for trained talent, you can not expect them to work for you for nothing if they spent all their lives and money on their education and training.

Sep 13 14 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Lately has nothing to do with it.

I have been shooting for 39 years. Nothing has changed...........materially..........over that time, other than too many tattoos, too many piercings, and a whole new generation of attitude.

Sep 13 14 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

ShootRaw wrote:

I would say that one month is not statistically significant.

It's so much better that communication tapered off rather than flaking the morning of.

Sep 13 14 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
Don't tell anyone, but they actually have a contest going to see how many photographers they can get to start threads complaining about models in the model forum.

To answer your question though...   apparently they are just not that interested.

If they were interested, they would stay in touch and stay invested.  If they are not, then they do what you described, so you should consider yourself fortunate that they did not waste your time further, and did not show up to a shoot where they were just not that into it.

In other words, if they really are not that interested after all, then they are doing you a favor by leaving you hanging.  Get over it and find those who do want to shoot.

It is not new, it just seems to be a new experience for you.

+1

Sep 13 14 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

$ should do the trick

Sep 13 14 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Sandra Vixen wrote:
I think another factor is money, how much are you paying them?

A lot of directors and even photographers lately have asked me to work for them, and often times I ask them how much are they paying and they often don't even respond after that.

If you are looking for trained talent, you can not expect them to work for you for nothing if they spent all their lives and money on their education and training.

Please stop..that's your response to everything...money. People flake just as much on paid assignments.....

Blame it on them being young and stupid....that's just as viable a reason as any excuse most can give. That's the reality of the matter.  Let's not sugar coat this shit....Some photographers are fucking air heads too..don't get me wrong it's not just models..LOL

Sep 13 14 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

We are in the end times and the world is populated with Kenites (the children of Cain) See what the world has come to since the '50's

Sep 13 14 05:42 pm Link

Model

CaraH

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

JoJo wrote:

I just wish instead of just dropping communication, people would simply cancel- it is better than leaving someone hanging. I have a had a number of projects where someone says that they would love to work with me, then doesn't message me back after I inquire about more details. Other times they drop communication after a number of e-mails back and forth and I never hear fro them again. If you have changed your mind about shooting with someone, it is common courtesy to let the other person know.

Sep 13 14 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

ShapeTheLight

Thanks for your input.. I am passionate about photography like many of you.
I figured that most everyone that joins here as models are really here for the right reasons and share the passion to create art. I agree with a lot of what some of you have said. Just figured I would reach out to the community to see what you had to say about it. I do take it somewhat seriously.. Im only trading talent for talent like most people do..Being a photographer is an investment of $ , education, gear etc...To pay a model they would have to have serious talent, experience , and a great portfolio to back it up..Models have to realize it is hard work on all parts and use this site to build relationships as well as Portfolios.. Some models put depends on assignment or TFP on profile statement. Only to find out later that they demand pay.. Oh well, I will continue to plug away at it to I reach my goals..Thanks everyone..

Sep 13 14 05:50 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

ShootRaw wrote:
Thanks for your input.. I am passionate about photography like many of you.
I figured that most everyone that joins here as models are really here for the right reasons and share the passion to create art. I agree with a lot of what some of you have said. Just figured I would reach out to the community to see what you had to say about it. I do take it somewhat seriously.. Im only trading talent for talent like most people do..Being a photographer is an investment of $ , education, gear etc...To pay a model they would have to have serious talent, experience , and a great portfolio to back it up..Models have to realize it is hard work on all parts and use this site to build relationships as well as Portfolios.. Some models put depends on assignment or TFP on profile statement. Only to find out later that they demand pay.. Oh well, I will continue to plug away at it to I reach my goals..Thanks everyone..

Depends on assignment also includes

Location (how far do I have to travel to shoot with this guy?)
Time (am I going to be there for 3 hour or 8 hours?)
Theme/Concept (will this really benefit me?)
Photographer (do I really feel like dealing with this guy or should I scare him away with my high rates?)

Sep 13 14 06:02 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

ShootRaw wrote:
Some models put depends on assignment or TFP on profile statement. Only to find out later that they demand pay..

I put "depends on assignment," because there ARE some people I will shoot trade with, but they're few and far between.

I have hundreds of photos of myself, and unless someone can offer me something exceptional, there is no reason to trade with them.

This reality should not be offensive to you.

Sep 13 14 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

waynes world pics wrote:

Becoming a trend, and I don't know why.

Just went through that with 2 local models. Could not pin them down to a time. I have ceased communication, and have simply replaced them with agency models.

But in the meantime they are constantly doing shoots and posting decent snapshots, and stuff I would delete as soon as I shot it.

Sep 14 14 05:02 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Koryn wrote:

I put "depends on assignment," because there ARE some people I will shoot trade with, but they're few and far between.

I have hundreds of photos of myself, and unless someone can offer me something exceptional, there is no reason to trade with them.

Does not offend me.

Although some scare me.

End of this month shooting with agency model that will raise the bar for me. I will really have to work to get something better than what she already has in her portfolio.

Sep 14 14 05:04 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

JoJo wrote:

You're looking at only one side of the coin.
The other side is, "Why are photographers so difficult lately?"

^this^

Sep 15 14 11:37 am Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

Build a fire and they will show, plan to build one and they will wonder wtf you are doing.

Sep 15 14 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Within the last month school got back in session. That may be a factor.

Sep 15 14 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Lallure Photographic wrote:
Lately has nothing to do with it.

I have been shooting for 39 years. Nothing has changed...........materially..........over that time, other than too many tattoos, too many piercings, and a whole new generation of attitude.

+1

Sep 15 14 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

CaraH wrote:

I just wish instead of just dropping communication, people would simply cancel- it is better than leaving someone hanging. I have a had a number of projects where someone says that they would love to work with me, then doesn't message me back after I inquire about more details. Other times they drop communication after a number of e-mails back and forth and I never hear fro them again. If you have changed your mind about shooting with someone, it is common courtesy to let the other person know.

Both sides are guilty.

Sep 15 14 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Koryn wrote:

Correct.

Happens all the time and is fair enough.

Just had an MUA turn me down because what I was planning did not suit her current book. Suggested I get back in touch when I move on to a different style.

Am I ticked?
Nope.

Will I get back in touch?
Damn straight.

It's the

msg
msg
crickets

that drive all of us nuts.

Sep 15 14 01:22 pm Link

Model

Twila Jean

Davis, California, US

schedules can be hard as heck to sync. But, Like stated above communication should be key. Although, I work a ridiculous amount and sometimes take 5-7 days to finally crack open my email and try to respond. hahah.
*wince in horror at amount of emails*
*close window*

So that can be it.. Some people are just busy. and school is now back in session adn lots of girls on here are college students. Sorry you are hearing crickets sad

Sep 16 14 09:35 am Link

Photographer

FiveOne November

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
It's the

msg
msg
crickets

that drive all of us nuts.

I agree with this!  I don't care if a model says, "Thanks, but your work is not my style."  At least there's communication, and it's clear.

Sep 16 14 12:18 pm Link

Model

Erin Holmes

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Welcome to my life for the past 14 months I've been living in NM.

It's been incredibly frustrating but has taught me persistence and patience. And that a lot of people are unprofessional bags of dicks.

Sep 16 14 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Erin Holmes wrote:
Welcome to my life for the past 14 months I've been living in NM.

It's been incredibly frustrating but has taught me persistence and patience. And that a lot of people are unprofessional bags of dicks.

But at least NM is a beautiful place.

Sep 16 14 06:41 pm Link