Forums > Model Colloquy > Getting into paid work

Model

Vi Synster

Jesup, Georgia, US

I'm debating about getting into paid work for my modeling. How and what would you recommend for a model new to the paying world?

Sep 23 14 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Ken Warren Photography

GLENMOORE, Pennsylvania, US

It's going to depend on what you want to shoot. If you want to shoot nudes (yes, I know your profile says you don't), it's pretty easy to charge, since attractive women who will strip off are in high demand around these (MM) parts. If you don't want to shoot nudes, get yourself to a local agency (in Atlanta, I guess) and see what they have to say.

Speaking only for myself, I would pay if you were interested in figure work. I wouldn't pay for anything else.

Sep 23 14 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

A couple of things to think about:

A modeling business is 10% modeling and 90% business.  If you want modeling to be your business, obtain and/or refine your business skills.  These skills include (but are not limited to)...
...  Negotiations,
...  Organization (e.g. scheduling),
...  Networking & advertising,
...  etc.

A model's rates are significantly dependent on the local supply & demand of similar modeling talent.  No two models are alike, but several models might be suitable for a particular project.  Usually, for the models that are suitable, the model that costs the least will likely get the job.

Modeling is a competitive business.  It might be a good idea for you to get to know your competition.

Good luck.

Sep 23 14 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

1. I think you need to post in the critique section first.
2. You need to develop a portfolio of photos from good photographers who can get you results in which you can market yourself. Having a collage of random photos doesn't help you sell your services.
3. Your question is actually more about business and less about modeling. So, if you are selling a product, you need to create value of that product so that someone sees that value and wishes to pay for it. Without providing any specific critiques, your portfolio doesn't really do this for you. If you want people to pay you, you need to create value in your ability as a model to generate a photograph that someone will find worthy of paying for it. To do that, I would start looking to pay some photographers in your area to help you build a portfolio worthy of that. Once you have done that, then build a website, get some business cards, and start marketing yourself. But before any of that though, you need to get some clear focus on what market you are interested in targeting. Is it trade show booth owners or is it GWCs on craigslist. Any way you slice it, you should have some idea of what you're doing and then build your portfolio to reflect that market.

Sep 23 14 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Good suggestions here, guys, to which I would add, "Don't even think of going "Paid Only" unless and until the paid work you're getting takes up all your time."  You will always need good new pictures as well as the networking and good word of mouth that comes from those collaborative efforts. Also the very photographers with whom you work for trade are the ones who can recommend you to their clients when paid jobs come in.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Sep 23 14 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

To warrant paid work, it is necessary to have a competently executed portfolio that clearly shows that a model possesses a high degree of skill in modelling.

Sep 23 14 04:17 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Cree Synster wrote:
I'm debating about getting into paid work for my modeling. How and what would you recommend for a model new to the paying world?

Hi,
I hope to eventually charge in a couple years too. When I do I suspect that my figure modeling profile https://www.modelmayhem.com/3453851 will be the one that will get pay versus my non-nude profile here.

After nearly 3 years of part time serious hobbyist modeling I think I am just now at a point where I could charge but, due to work constraints and contract it isn't an option for me anyways.

In the meanwhile maybe you'd like to work with photographers, mua, stylists, assistants and teams that will elevate your skill, comfort, your own taste and refine your profile and portfolio so your able to charge with confidence.

Your profile says that you can only do one shoot a month, for me I notice I get stale if I shoot that little. I'd recommend practicing, in a mirror, practicing with a self-shot camera and keeping yourself well and healthy.

Jen

Sep 23 14 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

BGF

New York, New York, US

Just ask for a rate at the next booking contact. Ditto. - Make sure it's not listed as a trade shoot. Even $10/hr - done, you're now paid. Modeling for trade "cleanly" is not all it's cracked up to be, as clothing and gas do cost money. All the sweat equity in the universe is going to pay for milage, tolls or other things like makeup you had to buy the day before, nor the salon at which you got your manicure.

Sep 23 14 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

BGF

New York, New York, US

MB JenB wrote:
When I do I suspect that my figure modeling profile https://www.modelmayhem.com/3453851 will be the one that will get pay versus my non-nude profile here.

I strongly disagree, with your height and measurements you're likely to get booked to model clothing or do print ad work, you just have to put yourself out-there for people to book you or reach out to designers or catalogs or AD agencies looking to do local ads in TN. Send them a comp-card/post-card.

Sep 23 14 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Julian W I L D E

Portland, Oregon, US

First of all, in ANY city--including Milledgeville-- when $$$ are concerned, Buyers will only pay for "the very best."  Be One of the Very Best.  ;-)

And in THIS world... "fugure" modeling Always get paid before anything else.  It's just the way it is.

Sep 23 14 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

BGF wrote:

I strongly disagree, with your height and measurements you're likely to get booked to model clothing or do print ad work, you just have to put yourself out-there for people to book you or reach out to designers or catalogs or AD agencies looking to do local ads in TN. Send them a comp-card/post-card.

Um just no.  All those clients source models from agencies.  So unless you have already made those contacts and proven yourself to those people don't expect much response.   The best bet is to check with local agencies and see what they think, not a bunch of random folks on the Interent.  That is unless your client is random folks on the Interent, as it can be for some.

P.S. I know of some agencies in TN but they only work with models in the 15-25 range, I am sure there are some commercial ones as well that perhaps others could suggest.

Sep 23 14 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Cree Synster wrote:

I think your location will be an issue unless you travel.  Beyond that you have to offer something not every other model has.

Sep 23 14 06:02 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

BGF wrote:

That would be great if it happens and of course I will try. So far any agency that I've been scouring their online board already has plenty of women my age, similar to my stats but they've been modeling for decades already. Naturally I will keep trying.

Sep 24 14 03:10 am Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

d/p
edit also: then there is the factor of my two tattoos being a pretty quick negater of agency interest...

/sidebar

Sep 24 14 03:10 am Link

Model

Melissa Kat

Orlando, Florida, US

Cree Synster wrote:

You don't really get into paid work you are approached for paid work. Everyone wants money.

Read up on how to operate a business and treat it as such. Eventually it might take care of your bills.

Sep 24 14 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

David Tiberio

Cebu, Central Visayas, Philippines

for most models, especially starting out, paid work means working with your local photographer. in order to work with your local photographer, they have to know you are available for hire.

you have to differentiate yourself somehow from the other models they are hiring. the best way to do this is to be more reliable, more photogenic, more experienced, or less expensive.

1. contact all of the photographers in your area. also call casting directors at local TV stations.

2. call them and make appointments to meet with them. tell them you are model and you are available for shoots.

3. meet with them, and ask them what their needs are. what ages they hire, what sort of clients they have, what they expect from a model, etc.

4. give them your contact info, portfolio, etc. ask them if they want to do a test shoot, which should only be 5 minutes and only a few photos so they know what you are like, and obviously do not pay them for them to do a test shoot.

5. tell them you will work for free, to be paid afterwards only if they are happy with your work. also offer to be the backup, or background extra, in case any model they hire is a no-show.

6. see as many photographers you can as soon as possible. getting paid gigs can take a long time, and you need to get the ball rolling immediately. try to make appointments daily until you have met every photographer.

7. once they are willing to hire you, start increasing your rates. start low like $10 per hour plus transportation, then move up to $25, to $40, to $50, etc. get copies of all the photos for your portfolio. once you have a nice portfolio, you should get more offers.

8. last of all, ask your local photographer what you need to do in order to get paid gigs. if you are punctual, dependable, and reliable, you will get called first and more often.

order some free business cards over the internet with your photo, name, email, and phone number. give them to photographers, clothing store managers, TV casting directors (local tv stations), uniform manufacturers, print shops, modeling agencies, event planners, etc.

you should also go to conventions, or state fairs, which are filled with companies that hire people to do temporary promotional modeling.

universities are filled with student photographers who just take photos of their friends. you might want to talk to some photographer professors about being a model available for student projects, keeping in mind that students will never have money.

you may get business in the clothing industry. print shops, uniform manufacturers, and clothing stores. talk to the manager and offer to model the clothing to prospective clients. normally they just take the clothes and line them up on the table. I am sure they would hire a model if it is a big client with a big order.

for internet work, contact companies and offer to pose wearing their tshirts. they send you the thsirt in the mail, you take a photo of yourself wearing it, send them the photos, and charge them a small fee. it can also be done with products, whereby you take photos of yourself using their products.

the most successful photographers usually make a lot of money and have lots of reliable models to work with. but best of all, if they are truly successful, they are usually easy going, they appreciate people who work hard, and they love to give advice to other people who they think are also trying to work hard.

look at the poses in magazine ads that you think really sell a product. those are the people that get the most money. you have to be able to do poses that show that you can sell a product or service.

most importantly!!!!

You will be a successful model if you earn money for the photographer. Learn how to promote products, learn how to convey positive enthusiastic emotions. Modeling is a team effort with a photographer.

Jan 14 15 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

If you think you may want to be paid for modeling then it's not really a debate. You know you want to do it but you need to work out a starting point. Rates probably aren't difficult to figure out. Start with a moderate figure, and if you get more than enough business to keep you happy then raise your rate until you find the right balance between the amount of time you spend doing it and the amount of money you feel makes it worthwhile. If you don't get enough business then lower your rate until you get more bites.

Of course, your rate also depends on your portfolio. Look at other models' profiles to decipher where the upper and lower ends of the range are, then decide how you fit in by the relative quality of your portfolio. As you improve your portfolio and your abilities you can demand more money.

You have an interesting story and you seem creative and capable of bringing interesting stuff to a photo session. For example, you create clothing. If you can create new, unique clothes and accessories and you can style yourself to look such that photographers want to shoot pictures of you then you have something most models don't. Quality custom clothing is a big deal.

To develop your portfolio you might do well to conceptualize shoots of your own and organize them yourself. You don't have to rely on photographers to get you started.

Jan 14 15 06:22 pm Link

Model

Pixie Galore

New York, New York, US

I'm just wondering...do all models have the ability, theoretically, to get to the point where they charge for shoots, once they reach a certain skill level? Or are some models (because of whatever combination of physical traits) just not cut out for paid modeling no matter how accomplished they become?

Jan 15 15 10:54 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
A couple of things to think about:

A modeling business is 10% modeling and 90% business.  If you want modeling to be your business, obtain and/or refine your business skills.  These skills include (but are not limited to)...
...  Negotiations,
...  Organization (e.g. scheduling),
...  Networking & advertising,
...  etc.

A model's rates are significantly dependent on the local supply & demand of similar modeling talent.  No two models are alike, but several models might be suitable for a particular project.  Usually, for the models that are suitable, the model that costs the least will likely get the job.

Modeling is a competitive business.  It might be a good idea for you to get to know your competition.

Good luck.

I'm interested in getting into it too, (in a couple years.) The thing I consider differently from your wording is that I'd replace "competition" with Market.

I don't feel like other models are competition but as co-talent, (like acting, right?) There are a lot of opportunities and genres and  the market is not exclusive to just 'one' opportunity. Right? smile
Jen
Edit:maybe it is my age and rapidly narrowing genre ability that has given me this perspective too though, (huge factor! Because I am not going to be anyoen's competition! )

Jan 16 15 05:45 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

BGF wrote:

Hello,
I'd like to update, (seeing as I am re-replying in this thread.)

I am taking you up on this suggestion and seeing if any local folks in Nashville are interested, (albeit I'm trade only so well see how it goes!) I'd be stoked.

Jan 16 15 05:49 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Pixie Galore wrote:
I'm just wondering...do all models have the ability, theoretically, to get to the point where they charge for shoots, once they reach a certain skill level? Or are some models (because of whatever combination of physical traits) just not cut out for paid modeling no matter how accomplished they become?

Hello,
Yes, I think all models have the ability to get paid for a shoot. Only thing is there needs to be someone who is willing to compensate them for their time.

When Ishoot I do not generally pay models but, Ihave paid one. It was very easy. Her expectation was for a paid shoot and I happened to come along with my camera, she had an availablity and I said 'yes.'

Jen

Jan 16 15 05:53 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jen B wrote:

Hello,
Yes, I think all models have the ability to get paid for a shoot. Only thing is there needs to be someone who is willing to compensate them for their time.

When Ishoot I do not generally pay models but, Ihave paid one. It was very easy. Her expectation was for a paid shoot and I happened to come along with my camera, she had an availablity and I said 'yes.'

Jen

You have the ability to be paid for a shoot.

Jan 16 15 06:59 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

You have the ability to be paid for a shoot.

Jerry! Thank you. I'm still learning and even though I got such an uber late start the coalescing with accepting age fits in nicely, (I think its lucky for me that I didn't necessarily know that I was not ugly until I was 45 when at that time was no longer youthful so its a morphed enjoyment of creating that I like.) smile
As for Ms. Cree, yes, she surely can get paid and have some length of time in doing it left too!
Jen

Jan 16 15 03:50 pm Link