Forums > Photography Talk > Mirrorless

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

It seems this is the buzz word of the major names at Photokina 2014.

Without relating or speaking to each other, they have the same consensus: more Mirrorless innovations in the very near future.

Are the days of the reflex mirror and optical viewfinder numbered?

Who dictates the new designs? Consumers or manufacturers?

Both Full Frame cameras.
The one on the left is Mirrorless
https://www.cameracomparisonreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Sony-A7-Vs.-1Dx-1.jpg

Sep 25 14 06:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:
Who dictates the new designs? Consumers or manufacturers?

A corporation's accountants... Sales numbers are key here... it's always been that way...

Sep 25 14 06:35 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

If locust stops consuming economy will collapse..

munch, munch, munch, munch...more, more, more...buy, buy, buy, buy!!!

Sep 25 14 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Camera companies (Nikon/Canon in particular) are going to keep selling  old tech into the market to wring every last dollar out of that Bayer sensor. Only when we stop buying them will they properly innovate.

The enthusiast section of the market is pretty stagnant and camera companies fit in ever more "nonsense" features to keep interest. If you look at what's taking place though it will be pretty clear that it's not camera manufacturers that are making the biggest impact...it's the electronics guys like Sony, Apple etc.

As for mirrorless, ask yourself this...how many "regular" people do you know still buying powerhouse desktop computers?

6 years ago tablets like iPads were a gimmick and people swore it would never replace the laptop or desktop...and now here we are. Sometimes less is more.

Sep 25 14 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

I use both a full frame conventional DSLR and a mirrorless ASP-C sized sensor camera.

They both have a place in my work flow.

They both offer me certain benefits.

Here's one problem with using an EVF with strobes. I want to shoot at f/8 and 1/200 at ISO 200. With an EVF, I can't see what I'm shooting because at those settings, the EVF is black.  Luckily, my mirrorless also has an OVF (Fuji X100S) so I can see.

Mirrorless is coming. Like it or not. Smaller cameras, faster electronic shutters, silent operation.  Will it replace pentaprisms and mirrors? Maybe. But only as much as tablets have replaced desktop computers. Which they aren't even close to doing yet.

Sep 25 14 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Brett Sly Photography

Keller, Texas, US

Gadgets and gizmos and bells and whistles will continue to advance.  But you can't buy artistic ability, experience, and talent.

Sep 25 14 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Silver Mirage

Plainview, Texas, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

Here's one problem with using an EVF with strobes. I want to shoot at f/8 and 1/200 at ISO 200. With an EVF, I can't see what I'm shooting because at those settings, the EVF is black.  Luckily, my mirrorless also has an OVF (Fuji X100S) so I can see.

Not a problem with Sony, Panasonic or Olympus - they all offer settings to give a bright finder with flash. On my current Panasonics it kicks in when I slide a flash or trigger (any brand) into the hot shoe. On some models it is a menu choice or oddly named, but it's there on all current cameras from these three.

Are you sure Fuji does not have the option?

Sep 25 14 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Michael Alestra

MOUNT ROYAL, New Jersey, US

i dont the point, those two cameras aren't equal. sure they have the same sensor size but that's it.

Sep 25 14 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Silver Mirage wrote:

Not a problem with Sony, Panasonic or Olympus - they all offer settings to give a bright finder with flash. On my current Panasonics it kicks in when I slide a flash or trigger (any brand) into the hot shoe. On some models it is a menu choice or oddly named, but it's there on all current cameras from these three.

I don't, but I don't need that function with the OVF/EVF hybrid system.
I wasn't aware that other cameras have that function. That's clever!

Sep 25 14 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Michael Alestra wrote:
i dont the point, those two cameras aren't equal. sure they have the same sensor size but that's it.

In your opinion, what are the benefits of a full frame conventional DSLR over a full frame mirrorless system?

Sep 25 14 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Silver Thunderbird

Šahrak, Ġawr, Afghanistan

Silver Mirage wrote:

Not a problem with Sony, Panasonic or Olympus - they all offer settings to give a bright finder with flash.

Correct. On Sony cameras with EVF, there's an option in the menu to turn the live view setting to OFF. Then the EVF functions as if it were an OVF using the ambient light in the studio.

Sep 25 14 09:48 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

If you mean this.

Nikon and Canon...Failed to grasp what Sony already knew. Full Frame Mirrorless is IT!

If you mean this.

Nikon and Canon...Now are playing Catch Up.

You would be Correct.

Sep 25 14 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Michael Alestra

In your opinion, what are the benefits of a full frame conventional DSLR over a full frame mirrorless system?

if you are comparing someone who shoots with a 1dx....

far superior autofocus.

Sep 25 14 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
If you mean this.

Nikon and Canon...Failed to grasp what Sony already knew. Full Frame Mirrorless is IT!

If you mean this.

Nikon and Canon...Now are playing Catch Up.

You would be Correct.

This....I went Fuji, and am happy.

Sep 25 14 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I use both a full frame conventional DSLR and a mirrorless ASP-C sized sensor camera.

Mirrorless is coming. Like it or not. Smaller cameras, faster electronic shutters, silent operation.  Will it replace pentaprisms and mirrors? Maybe. But only as much as tablets have replaced desktop computers. Which they aren't even close to doing yet.

I'm reasonably sure mirror less cameras will take over most of the market in the next five years. I suspect we'll see most manufacturers offering a 'student level' DSLR, pro bodies, and maybe a model in between. Even though the traditional SLR design offers some things mirrorless can't match for physics reasons, most users don't really need those things. I think in the next few years we'll see that unless you shoot sports or wildlife, the only functional differences will be size and battery life.

Sep 25 14 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

Call me crazy, but I like the way a DSLR feels in my hand. I also don't see the point in these smaller mirrorless cameras when you have to lug around a bag full of big lenses or something similar anyway. I also don't like tiny cameras hanging off a huge freaking lens.

I'm sticking with a traditional DSLR as long as they'll let me.

Sep 25 14 11:07 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i love my fuji x-pro1 but wouldn't use it as my primary camera at a wedding. for that i still use my trusty 5D MK II and wish i had a MK III (or 6D) or nikon equiv.

even if they made a fuji that was fast (or maybe they have by now) that small body still wouldn't balance well with a flash.

Sep 25 14 11:39 am Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:
Both Full Frame cameras.
The one on the left is Mirrorless
https://www.cameracomparisonreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Sony-A7-Vs.-1Dx-1.jpg

https://www.cameracomparisonreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Sony-Alpha-a7-vs.EOS-6D-1.jpg

Sep 25 14 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

This reminds me of how commercial, portrait and wedding pros snubbed their noses at slr's a mere 15 years ago.  No pro,  except for maybe fashion, sports and PJ'ers used slr's.  It was medium format or large format.  Now cameras are getting even smaller and we think we won't change to these smaller formats. 

If history teaches us anything it's to never say never.  No, the features and quality (subjective) of "some" of the smaller formats aren't up to the those of their bigger brothers, but give them a few years/months.  They will be.

Who ever thought a commercial product shot once only shot with large format would ever be shot with slr format cameras?  Yet today just about all of them are.  As well as 90(ish)% of all professional shoots.

Sep 25 14 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Silver Mirage wrote:

Yes Fuji do have that function...it's basically a live View boost.

Just go to your screen setup function and change the "Preview Exposure in Manual Mode" to ON.

Manuals are your friends...

Sep 25 14 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

MostlyBlack

London, Ontario, Canada

r T p wrote:
https://www.cameracomparisonreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Sony-Alpha-a7-vs.EOS-6D-1.jpg

I think this comparison would look different with standard 24-70mm 2.8 or 70-200mm 2.8 lens.
There would not be too much difference and from handling point of view DSLR would look better.

Sep 25 14 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ontherocks wrote:
i love my fuji x-pro1 but wouldn't use it as my primary camera at a wedding. for that i still use my trusty 5D MK II and wish i had a MK III (or 6D) or nikon equiv.

even if they made a fuji that was fast (or maybe they have by now) that small body still wouldn't balance well with a flash.

Why not?

I use that setup all the time...XT-1 W/FL-42 flash and a variety of lenses. Balances fine at a lower weight and fantastic image quality. Matter of fact I've used the flash on an X100s, an X-M1 and A1.

Sep 25 14 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Michael Alestra wrote:

far superior autofocus.

Is it impossible to think that they can't improve the autofocus function of a mirrorless system to compete with the best of the DSLR cameras?  If you say so.

To me, the ONLY benefit of the DSLR over mirrorless is the size.  A larger camera has ergonomics and bulk to it that can be useful in the field.  From my experience, my Fuji focuses just as fast and nearly as accurately as my Nikon D800.  Sure, it struggles in lower light, but I assume that's because it wasn't specifically designed to focus well in lower light.

I'd bet the next round of mirrorless will only improve upon things.

But let's be honest with each other.  Where can DSLRs go from here?  How much "better" can they get?  They're already producing decent images at ISO sensitivities that are ridiculous, several stops better than any film ever produced and far cleaner than any high speed film.  They're already producing images with pixel counts large enough for billboards.  They already shoot up to 15 frames per second.  What more can they do?  What more SHOULD they do?

Mirrorless will fill a segment that has a demand.  There will always be certain people who will not be interested, but then there are still people who only shoot film and develop and print their own.

Sep 25 14 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Leighthenubian wrote:

Why not?

I use that setup all the time...XT-1 W/FL-42 flash and a variety of lenses. Balances fine at a lower weight and fantastic image quality. Matter of fact I've used the flash on an X100s, an X-M1 and A1.

So have I.  It feels a little clunky and pretty top-heavy, but it just changes how I use my other hand to hold the camera.  However, the AlienBees trigger weighs almost nothing and is very small.  It operates perfectly well with that.

Sep 25 14 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

So have I.  It feels a little clunky and pretty top-heavy, but it just changes how I use my other hand to hold the camera.  However, the AlienBees trigger weighs almost nothing and is very small.  It operates perfectly well with that.

yup

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5558/15075371737_f741cf984c_c.jpg

Anything new takes time to get used to.

Sep 25 14 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

GNapp Studios

Somerville, New Jersey, US

I remember in golf when everyone used to use a wound ball.  When the 2 piece ball came out it was much cheaper to make but couldn't perform as well as the wound ball.  That was changed as the wound ball became cheaper to make and was made to perform better.

Mirrorless cameras by their simplistic design are cheaper to make and perform better.  So eventually the dslr will be like the wound ball...extinct.

Sep 25 14 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

Mirrorless cameras are dinky. There are always going to be some who prefer the manly size and feel of a DSLR in many situations. ;-)

Sep 25 14 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

I have heard that the shutter delay makes taking action pictures hard.

Sep 25 14 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Photos by Lorrin wrote:

It depends on the situation. Current models have a shutter delay that is faster than you can go 'oh, picture!' and press the button. But in low light, the EVF needs a 'longer' exposure at higher ISO settings, and it reacts more slowly. So even though the camera is still essentially instant, the moment may have passed before you get a chance to react.

If you were shooting outdoor, daytime sports, I doubt you'd have a problem. And as ISO performance increases, the problem becomes less and less indoors as well.

Sep 25 14 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Photos by Lorrin wrote:

Im sure you won't have that problem with the X-T1 and X100T when you set the electronic shutter to 1/32000

Sep 25 14 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Nikon vs. Canon
Apple vs. MS
iOS vs. Android
Vanilla vs. Chocolate

Is it me or are we now seeing the infancy of the Mirrorless vs. DSLR cockfights.

Sep 25 14 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Warren Photography

GLENMOORE, Pennsylvania, US

... Here's one problem with using an EVF with strobes. I want to shoot at f/8 and 1/200 at ISO 200. With an EVF, I can't see what I'm shooting because at those settings, the EVF is black.  Luckily, my mirrorless also has an OVF (Fuji X100S) so I can see. ...

If it's an advanced amateur level body or better, I would expect that it has a way to turn off effects, including the "effect" of showing you what it thinks the sensor will record.

Sep 25 14 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

Nikon and Canon are not going to go mirrorless full swing until the market hurts their bottom line with dslr sales and the lenses...keyword is lenses....what do you gain from the new format when your lenses are so big it negates the compact size...no one kills their cash cow until they are starving and need to eat....detroit in the late 70's with crap cars had this arrogance...bet in 5 years, dramatic change and shift from the innovative underdogs...as I type on my new desktop and 27 inch hi def photo monitor and cannot remember where my tablet is

Sep 25 14 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

The one thing I love about Fujifilm mirrorless X series is that they are one of the only and consistent listeners of consumer feedback who then act on it with hardware and firmware updates. They are a Photographer's company in the pure sense.
The stuff they are building with their cameras, their lenses and technology... what they are doing is really amazing.

I am getting the picture from the engineers and CEO that the upcoming X-Pro2 (deep into 2015) is going to be loaded with all the advancements up to this point and today they reported that resolution and speed will be "improved" even more for the X-Pro1 successor.
I'm just picturing an OVF/EVF body with a possible 24mp APS-C X-trans. [FF is not being considered which would require larger bodies]... 
...Now THAT should answer some technical questions raised in this thread and maybe be a gut punch to the average and semi-pro DSLR consumers.

Exciting to see how Mirrorless is changing the photography landscape.

Sep 25 14 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Sony has a setting in their menus for evf cameras that takes care of that. When they put out their first slt cameras, which is an evf camera with a non moving mirror, the black screen was an issue.  It's the "setting effect" that you have to turn off in the menu settings.

Sep 25 14 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Desert Shadows Photo

Mesquite, Nevada, US

I use both an Olympus mirror-less 4/3 camera and a Leica M9. Both have their place. Both are fabulous used for what they are made for. The Oly 4/3 camera produces images that are reminiscent of the Leica images.

Sep 25 14 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Michael Alestra wrote:

far superior autofocus.

Sony A6000 mirrorless focusing speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llmciAKNq9c

Sep 25 14 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Alestra

mophotoart wrote:
Nikon and Canon are not going to go mirrorless full swing until the market hurts their bottom line with dslr sales and the lenses...keyword is lenses....what do you gain from the new format when your lenses are so big it negates the compact size...no one kills their cash cow until they are starving and need to eat....detroit in the late 70's with crap cars had this arrogance...bet in 5 years, dramatic change and shift from the innovative underdogs...as I type on my new desktop and 27 inch hi def photo monitor and cannot remember where my tablet is

this.

there are two types of consumers, those who want convenience of a point and shoot and those who demand performance. I dont see a whole lot of professionals running to sony bodies. sony can innovate sensors all they want but no one is running out to by their cameras because the lens lineup isn't what canon and Nikon offer, worse than that they change their lens mounts all the time, have many lenses have you or any other pro had for years and over how many bodies? try doing that with sony.

canon and nikon are well established in the market an until sony or someone is able to pull a large number of dslr shooters away to a mirrorless. size to me isnt a good reason to switch, especially when the lenses are bigger and heavier than the body itself.

for the record i have a sony rx100, i love it. i'd love to get a smaller mirrorless fullframe body for my travels and to carry around, but i'm not looking to replace my canon dslr.

Sep 26 14 05:04 am Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

Funny, I shoot in pretty much the same conditions in my home studio and turn off all of the lights other than modeling lights and a small halogen light (to help with AF) and I haven't experienced this.  What I see through the EVF (Olympus E-M1) is pretty much the same thing I see with my eyes.

Sep 26 14 05:48 am Link

Photographer

Kelly Hicks

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

The tethering options on the fuji are not that great - you need a router or ipad - which is keeping me from picking one up. Plus the hotshoe flash is not quite there yet. I think a ttl flash is in the works though.

Sep 26 14 08:11 am Link