Forums > Model Colloquy > Is there a proper ethical standpoint on this?

Model

Amandageddon

Roy, Utah, US

So I've shot with a certain photographer twice before, and was paid both times although pay was not ever mentioned (I had thought they were both TF shoots).

I may be reading into things too much, but I FEEL like he wasn't too keen on paying me last time even though he did.

We're working on booking another shoot right now, and my question is whether or not I should say that I AM totally okay with working TF. He is, IMO, definitely a better photographer than I am a model and I consider photos I get from our shoots to be payment enough since they are good enough to replace something in my portfolio.

However, I DO like paid work... but I feel like 'let come what may' is probably a bad philosophy if I want to keep a good working relationship with him. Some people say they 'feel better' paying their models but I don't want there to be a feeling of obligation if payment wasn't ever agreed upon previously.

Nov 15 14 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

You seem undecided ?
Which is more important to you ?
Good Images
$$$$
If you decide images, next time he offers to pay tell him its not necessary unless he wants to.
Pressure is off he can do what he feels comfortable with and you can continue to work together.

Nov 15 14 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Amandageddon wrote:
So I've shot with a certain photographer twice before, and was paid both times although pay was not ever mentioned (I had thought they were both TF shoots).

I may be reading into things too much, but I FEEL like he wasn't too keen on paying me last time even though he did.

We're working on booking another shoot right now, and my question is whether or not I should say that I AM totally okay with working TF. He is, IMO, definitely a better photographer than I am a model and I consider photos I get from our shoots to be payment enough since they are good enough to replace something in my portfolio.

However, I DO like paid work... but I feel like 'let come what may' is probably a bad philosophy if I want to keep a good working relationship with him. Some people say they 'feel better' paying their models but I don't want there to be a feeling of obligation if payment wasn't ever agreed upon previously.

Well, this is interesting.  I would let him know that you are wowed by his work of you.  And that you appreciate that he paid you, though you weren't entirely expecting to be paid.  And then offer to work TF for the next shoot.

I am sure that he will be appreciative and further enhance your professional relationship

Nov 15 14 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

JUSTIN GILL PHOTO

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't think this is an "ethical" dilemma

If the photographer thought you did a good job and paid you what he thought was appropriate without a specified amount stated beforehand, I'd say you're doing it right.

But if you like his work and you got great images from prior shoots, you can say "thanks for considering me for another project, I loved the images from our last shoots!  This project sounds fun, so I'm willing to set something up for (free, or half of what you got last time, or whatever)."

Nov 15 14 08:37 pm Link

Model

Amandageddon

Roy, Utah, US

Thank you for the responses and advice; I've just finished my message to him about our upcoming shoot and I did let him know that I would be totally okay with working TF smile

Nov 15 14 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Amandageddon wrote:
... I did let him know that I would be totally okay with working TF smile

Wisdom... you likely have just paid he a wonderful compliment on his skill and expertise... btw, what goes around comes around... there are very few exceptions here...

All the best on your journey...

Nov 16 14 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

Well, this is interesting.  I would let him know that you are wowed by his work of you.  And that you appreciate that he paid you, though you weren't entirely expecting to be paid.  And then offer to work TF for the next shoot.

I am sure that he will be appreciative and further enhance your professional relationship

^^^ this - couldn't say it any better..

Nov 16 14 07:35 am Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I did a TF shoot this summer, but when the shoot was over and he had driven me back to the train station he gave me money.  It wasn't my full rate, but it was something at least.  I told him it wasn't necessary, that we had agreed to shoot TF and I was fine with that, but he insisted I take it.  He said, "Never turn down money".  I thanked him, and that was that.

Nov 16 14 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Bingo! but I would add a thought.  Reading through the forums a lot of photographers tend to be a bit paternalistic toward models and feel that it's unethical to shoot them without cash payment.  A lot of models who would not otherwise be paid take advantage of this.  I call it "Pity Pay"  It's roughly comparable to some models thinking they have to shoot nudes and some photographers feeling that they are entitled to shoot nudes.  Both assumptions are false and are harmful to the process and the general relationships between photographers and models, I think.

In my opinion it's best for the parties to broach the subject and discuss it in a straight-forward manner, seeking an agreement that is both fair to both parties and with which both parties feel comfortable.  There is no magic number that will do both.  If he really feels that he must pay you and you really feel that he shouldn't (for whatever reasons) and between yourselves you can't reach a number with which you're both comfortable, then a solution might be for him to contribute whatever he feels is appropriate to a charity that you both support. 

It sounds like the two of you have a terrific relationship going.  It would be terrible to jeopardize it over such a small thing.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Nov 16 14 08:04 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

some photographers prefer to pay so they don't have to worry about delivering images.

at the next shoot when he pulls out his wallet maybe you could say "that's not necessary. these photos are useful for my portfolio" and let him decide.

also, if a man continues giving you money beyond what was necessary there's a chance he's interested in more than just working together.

Nov 16 14 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Most of the rants about shoots here would have been avoided had the model and photographer simply communicated about the issue that's causing frustration.

A photographer and model shouldn't be going into a shoot, not knowing what the compensation is.   There is nothing ethical or unethical about deciding you want TF or pay as compensation.  What is ethical is to communicate to the photographer in advance, what compensation you expect.

Nov 16 14 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Good Images
$$$$

Why not both?  Why not a limited number of images and a reduced modeling fee?

To the OP:  Regardless of your preference, it is your obligation, as a participant in this agreement, to ensure that the terms of the agreement are discussed & agreed upon.  Talk to your photographer. 

If you are unsure, just ask him to clarify his expectations -- let him state his intentions first.

But if you don't discuss something as important as compensation, you will have to accept what you get after the fact, and if what you get after the fact is not satisfying to you, we'll be discussing this on your next forum thread.

Nov 16 14 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

You need to communicate clearly to be a professional and avoid drama.  Just ask" What is the compensation for this shoot?" and let him answer.  Most models and photographers will find a diminishing portfolio value for repeat shoots, so its time to figure this out.

Nov 16 14 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

ontherocks wrote:
some photographers prefer to pay so they don't have to worry about delivering images.

at the next shoot when he pulls out his wallet maybe you could say "that's not necessary. these photos are useful for my portfolio" and let him decide.

also, if a man continues giving you money beyond what was necessary there's a chance he's interested in more than just working together.

Do we have some transference going on here? Because that can easily be a crock of shit.

I put value on what I get in return, & I've done exactly that....cough up some $$$ that was supposed to be TF due to value received from their efforts. I've probably done that at least a half dozen times.

One I even gave $$ to a year after the fact when I next saw her. We've been shooting together now over 8 yrs.

Nov 16 14 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

ontherocks wrote:

Mkay?

Nov 16 14 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

If you feel like you're taking advantage of someone, and you continue to do it, then you are.

I'm glad you decided to let him know how you feel and will continue your shooting relationship as more of a muse than a vendor.

Nov 16 14 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Rays Fine Art wrote:

Bingo! but I would add a thought.  Reading through the forums a lot of photographers tend to be a bit paternalistic toward models and feel that it's unethical to shoot them without cash payment.  A lot of models who would not otherwise be paid take advantage of this.  I call it "Pity Pay"  It's roughly comparable to some models thinking they have to shoot nudes and some photographers feeling that they are entitled to shoot nudes.  Both assumptions are false and are harmful to the process and the general relationships between photographers and models, I think.

In my opinion it's best for the parties to broach the subject and discuss it in a straight-forward manner, seeking an agreement that is both fair to both parties and with which both parties feel comfortable.  There is no magic number that will do both.  If he really feels that he must pay you and you really feel that he shouldn't (for whatever reasons) and between yourselves you can't reach a number with which you're both comfortable, then a solution might be for him to contribute whatever he feels is appropriate to a charity that you both support. 

It sounds like the two of you have a terrific relationship going.  It would be terrible to jeopardize it over such a small thing.

All IMHO as always, of course.

We don't always agree, but in this case...spot on.

Nov 16 14 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

ontherocks wrote:

there's also a chance that, out of a sense of fairness, he is compensating value received that exceeded original expectations

Nov 16 14 03:51 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Offering to do TF is a wonderful move on your part and will do nothing but strengthen the working relationship.  I received the same advice mentioned earlier that when someone is offering to pay, graciously accept the money. There's nothing at all wrong with negotiations when you have worked together more than once.

Nov 16 14 03:57 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Amandageddon wrote:

...I don't want there to be a feeling of obligation if payment wasn't ever agreed upon previously.

What the hay now? You are shooting with someone and never discussed the terms and let him pay you even though you never discussed terms?

I'd think it was unethical to accept his payment when you hadn't agreed to pay and you thought is was tf both times.

Why not just message him and clear this up. Say something truthful like, "Hey, I never expected payment but was grateful for it and accepted it, x2.  I like your work and am willing to shoot tf with you because I like what we are doing and I want to keep doing it."

Truth is good, ambiguity is not, (in my opinion.)

Best!
Jen

Nov 16 14 04:07 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
... Reading through the forums a lot of photographers tend to be a bit paternalistic toward models and feel that it's unethical to shoot them without cash payment. ...

As a trade only model I've run into this. I agree with you that fully discussing and agreeing ahead of time is the best way to go.

Jen

Nov 16 14 04:13 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

ontherocks wrote:

I think it needs to be determined before the shoot.
Jen

Nov 16 14 04:23 pm Link

Model

fluffycakes

Chicago, Illinois, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
You seem undecided ?
Good Images
$$$$
If you decide images, next time he offers to pay tell him its not necessary unless he wants to.
Pressure is off he can do what he feels comfortable with and you can continue to work together.

Just want to point out of were questioning ethics(which are never black and white btw), that usually when someone offers you money you weren't expecting, the proper etiquette is to not take it unless insisted upon and let them know that isn't necessary.

Shrug, maybe just how I was raised.

Nov 16 14 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Alison

Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom

ontherocks wrote:
... also, if a man continues giving you money beyond what was necessary there's a chance he's interested in more than just working together.

Best just to speak for yourself.

Most models are young and broke.
Many photographers are neither young nor broke.

Nov 17 14 12:19 am Link

Photographer

nudeXposed

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

You've worked with this photographer twice so you must have a good professional relationship with him; be honest, share your thoughts & feelings with him which will allow him to decide paid or TF. You're overthinking this way way too much.

Nov 18 14 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Too many models let their desire for cash, get in the way of working with the best people.

If you want to shoot, then approach the issue of pay vs. trade up front.

Frankly, if he paid you previously, I think he expects to pay you anyway. Few photographers would think you were doing TFCD and then turn around and pay you cash.

Another approach, is simply to say, you are happy to work with him again, and you would like to trade time for prints this time.  Make that clear up front, and tie it to the fact he has paid you for the last two shoots, so you would like to return the favor, and trade for this one.

Nov 20 14 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

thigpenimages

Houston, Texas, US

Well said. I'd agree 100%.

Dec 01 14 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Amandageddon wrote:

Wow, You are one in a million.  smile

Direct and open communication are the best.  Let the photographer knows how you feel that you are willing to do trade or reduce rate.  Next time he will work harder for you and better your portfolio further.  All these will contribute a great success in your modeling career.  Paying forward will always win. 

Good luck.

Dec 04 14 02:46 pm Link