Makeup Artist

Jackie McClay

Brick, New Jersey, US

Can someone recommend a good set? ive had MAC and royal and langnickel, i take care of them but they shed like crazy!!!!! its embarrassing to have to pull brush hairs off my clients face.

Nov 19 14 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Jackie McClay MUA wrote:
...i take care of them but they shed like crazy!!!!!

Jackie, even cost effective low end brushes will not shed if carefully maintained... Most issues arise from submerging a brush ferrule in water (or cleaner) NEVER do this... it will soften the adhesive which holds the bristles in place...

Natural bristle brushes (sable, squirrel, badger, goat etc.) should be wash with a mild shampoo... Synthetic (Taklon, nylon etc.) can be washed with a dish soap solution.

All should then be rinsed in cold water to remove all traces of shampoo or liquid soap...
Blotted dry and then laid on a flat surface (a soft dry towel) to dry...

Never use natural bristles on cream product (except a lip brush which is a sable and Taklon mix)  Only use cream product with synthetic bristles...

To Clean: First remove cream product from a brush with a commercial brush cleaner (Cinema Secrets or Japonesque are popular and effective) 

Important Note: your large dome powder brush will most likely shed... even top quality high end large dome brushes shed...  best to simply use surgical tape to lightly lift any loose bristles from the skin... this will not alter the finish and is a quick and easy way to "finish" the final look...

Hope this helps...

All the best on your journey...

Nov 19 14 03:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

First, I will recommend brushes that have worked for me.
Sigma brushes have always worked very well for me.
sigmabeauty.com
When they're brand new, they may shed a little. But after one wash they're fine. Shedding really isn't an issue with these brushes.
Morphe brushes are also very good. I love the gunmetal collection.
morphebrushes.com
However, Morphe brushes are very inexpensive. Some of their $2 brushes are amazing, where as some of their $2 brushes are complete crap. You just have to test them out to see for yourself.
It's natural for a brush to shed maybe 1 or 2 hairs, but if they're constantly shedding every time you use them, then they're crap.
You could try taking some pliers and use it as a clamp on the ferrel. And I agree try not to immerse the ferrel into water and never let your brushes soak in anything.

With all of my favorite brushes, I've never had a problem with shedding.
I will clean my brushes with some body wash, shampoo or beauty blender cleanser. Either one works well for me. I use these soaps to CLEAN the brushes, it gets rid of all the makeup/color from the brushes. Then I use 99% alcohol to DISINFECT and SANITIZE the brushes.
Maybe once a week I will use a professional grade brush cleaner (Cinema Secrets) to really give an intense deep cleanse, but I try not to over process my brushes with heavy cleaners like that. I usually use the Cinema Secrets cleaner if I need to deep clean my brushes on a job because it drys quickly, however you must wait 30 minutes to an hour for it to fully evaporate, before using them. I recommend an hour.

I don't know how this turned into a brush cleaning tutorial, but I just wanted to let you know that there are many different ways to clean your brushes. This is how I clean mine and I don't have problems with shedding.
If you lose one brush hair on a clients face, it's not a big deal. But if it's constant, then that's a different story.

I haven't tried many brush brands, but my favorites are Sigma, Morphe and Real Techniques.

Try Sigma, their brushes are awesome. Also, Real Techniques, I've never ever had any problems with shedding, not even one hair.

Nov 19 14 07:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sandra Valero

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

I use a variety of Sigma (for synthetic) MAC, Crown brushes and several professional Spanish brands and I've never had a problem with either of them smile I am extremely careful when cleaning them and they have lasted years so far!

Nov 20 14 02:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jackie McClay

Brick, New Jersey, US

That is definitely my problem, with my old mac brushes i used to submerge them in a cup of soapy water first before i cleaned them until i learn that was not what you're supposed to do lol.. thats when my mac brushes started falling apart... so i bought royal, apparently the line i bought is just crap because they shed non stop... not one hair but many hairs! all the time!!!... im going to check out sigma! thank you!

Nov 20 14 07:41 am Link

Nov 21 14 08:30 am Link

Nov 21 14 09:42 am Link