Forums > Photography Talk > 50 megapixel cellphone?

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Brought to you by Microsoft and Nokia, the Lumina 1030.  Sensor made by Toshiba.

http://www.slashgear.com/lumia-1030-lea … -01357919/

At the bottom there is a link about some pro shooting weddings with her cell camera.

Here: http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-lumia-10 … -06307954/

Dec 02 14 07:06 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Sensor made by Toshiba is enough to get the barge pole out...

Dec 02 14 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Please don't say that..... everyone one on here will trade in whatever they have to get the biggest, nastiest file size.  Everyone except the real photographers.

Dec 02 14 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

So not long ago every idiot with <$1000 could be a wedding photographer with a DSLR and a kit lens because, well, Nikon and Canon told them they could. Now it looks like that isn't even necessary because you can just do it on your phone. The best part is, while you are shooting your wedding this way, you can take calls on the same device and book your next wedding at the same time! Talk about multitasking!

Welp, I guess it's time for me to hang up all my gear and call it quits. Now everyone can shoot a wedding on their phone. Thanks Microsoft!

Dec 02 14 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
So not long ago every idiot with <$1000 could be a wedding photographer with a DSLR and a kit lens because, well, Nikon and Canon told them they could. Now it looks like that isn't even necessary because you can just do it on your phone. The best part is, while you are shooting your wedding this way, you can take calls on the same device and book your next wedding at the same time! Talk about multitasking!

Welp, I guess it's time for me to hang up all my gear and call it quits. Now everyone can shoot a wedding on their phone. Thanks Microsoft!

Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying....

Dec 02 14 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Amul La La

London, England, United Kingdom

50... Eh.
Let me know when they put another (0) on that bad boy!

Dec 02 14 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

So, it's unlikely to shoot RAW or have 14-bit dynamic range, but in a consumer camera having that many pixels lets you do some interesting things.

Camera commercials and advertising are often totally disconnected from reality. Remember that Canon commercial that showed you you could take awesome pictures if you set a tire on fire and rolled it down a hill?

I just hope Apple continues to push for higher image quality.

Dec 02 14 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

J Diffner Photography

Sequim, Washington, US

I'd love to see the specs on that thing.  Does diffraction kick in at f1.0 or f1.2?  I mean 50 megapixels of soft photo is going to be awesome.  Just imaging how far you'll be able to zoom in on the lack of detail. 

That's as much sarcasm as I can possibly put into a post with out putting quotation marks around every sentence to imply air-quotes.

Dec 02 14 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

They could make it a 100MP camera.  Still won't make a photographer out of someone who is not.  Let's not be so ignorant. 

Don't we always make the statement "It's not the camera , it's the person behind it"?  So it's a large MB camera...in a phone.  Big f'n deal.

Dec 02 14 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mike Collins wrote:
They could make it a 100MP camera.  Still won't make a photographer out of someone who is not.  Let's not be so ignorant. 

Don't we always make the statement "It's not the camera , it's the person behind it"?  So it's a large MB camera...in a phone.  Big f'n deal.

I agree completely. The problem is, the camera companies keep making ads saying everything to the contrary.

Dec 02 14 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Phantasmal Images

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Here's an article comparing the older version of the Nokia with the 41mp sensor against the iPhone, several DSLR's, and film.
http://connect.dpreview.com/post/553341 … ersus-film

My phone (Samsung Note 4) has a Sony 16mp, 0.5" sensor. It takes nice pictures... for a phone. I wouldn't choose it over a DSLR, but I'd probably take it over a P&S camera in many cases. Especially once Android 5 is available for it, which is supposed to add DNG raw image support.

Dec 02 14 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

DAVISICON

San Antonio, Texas, US

Mike Collins wrote:

+1

same goes for an expensive camera and equipment,
doesn't make a photographer, but most of us already knew that. I really don't see someone showing up to an important shooting with a phone,  being taken seriously? Like the commercial said , she was hired by Nokia to shoot to advertise a product for a commercial, who else will do the same?

Dec 02 14 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

Phantasmal Images wrote:
Here's an article comparing the older version of the Nokia with the 41mp sensor against the iPhone, several DSLR's, and film.
http://connect.dpreview.com/post/553341 … ersus-film

My phone (Samsung Note 4) has a Sony 16mp, 0.5" sensor. It takes nice pictures... for a phone. I wouldn't choose it over a DSLR, but I'd probably take it over a P&S camera in many cases. Especially once Android 5 is available for it, which is supposed to add DNG raw image support.

I have a Note 4 also, and for what it is, I think the camera is great. Even at night, I've been able to get shots that I wouldn't have a problem displaying.

I'm not rushing out for a 50mp camera phone, but I wouldn't have a problem owning one either. It's not hurting me if others own one. I don't understand the outrage. If people think it makes them photographers, so what? Let them think what they want. If you know you're better, then you're better and your work will speak for itself.

Dec 02 14 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

GRMACK wrote:
Brought to you by Microsoft and Nokia, the Lumina 1030.  Sensor made by Toshiba.

http://www.slashgear.com/lumia-1030-lea … -01357919/

At the bottom there is a link about some pro shooting weddings with her cell camera.

Here: http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-lumia-10 … -06307954/

No one asks the important question.
What is the rate plan?

Dec 02 14 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

go for it...my brother in law thought he was a photographer with a cell phone....homeless

Dec 02 14 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

How many mega-pixels does a person really need?

Have you ever seen photos from the Hubble telescope?

The Wide Field and Planetary Camera 2 (WFPC2), which was installed during the first servicing mission in 1993, and which has taken many of the signature images produced by the telescope, consists of 4 CCD chips, each 800 pixels by 800 pixels. This basically means it is a 1600 x 1600 pixel camera or about 2.5 mega-pixels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Field_...

Dec 07 14 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Winkleman Photo

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Bad news. To cram 50 megapixels on the teeny tiny cell phone sensor they have to make each individual photosensor incredibly small. As a matter of physics not quality, the smaller photosensors will produce more noise and be crappy in low light. Right now Nikon and Canon could both make full frame or even cropped sensors with 50-80 megapixels on them just as many medium format backs do. However they don't because the photosites would have to be much smaller than they would on a medium format camera of the same resolution and that would compromise image quality.

I have a 36 megapixel Nikon D800e. The IQ is extraordinary.It is very good at high ISOs but Nikon's best high ISO camera is the 16 megapixel D4s. Of Sony's cameras their best low light camera is their AS7 with a mere 12 megapixels. The fewer megapixels, the larger each photosite can be which means lower noise and better IQ at very high ISO.

For teeny tiny sensors on a cell phone, 8-10 megapixels is good.

Dec 07 14 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

analog light

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

Robb Mann wrote:
So, it's unlikely to shoot RAW or have 14-bit dynamic range, but in a consumer camera having that many pixels lets you do some interesting things.

Camera commercials and advertising are often totally disconnected from reality. Remember that Canon commercial that showed you you could take awesome pictures if you set a tire on fire and rolled it down a hill?

I just hope Apple continues to push for higher image quality.

The 1020 has RAW. Don't see why the new camera wouldn't.

Dec 08 14 10:45 am Link

Photographer

analog light

Mike Kelcher wrote:

The Wide Field and Planetary Camera 2 (WFPC2), which was installed during the first servicing mission in 1993, and which has taken many of the signature images produced by the telescope, consists of 4 CCD chips, each 800 pixels by 800 pixels. This basically means it is a 1600 x 1600 pixel camera or about 2.5 mega-pixels.

The idea behind it is that you can take a picture, then crop (zoom) and not lose quality. Have you used the digital zoom on a regular smart phone before? It kills the picture quality. I have the 1020 and trust me it is way better than most smart phone cameras. Once the cropping is done it saves it to a manageable sized JPEG file.

Dec 08 14 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

analog light wrote:
The idea behind it is that you can take a picture, then crop (zoom) and not lose quality. Have you used the digital zoom on a regular smart phone before? It kills the picture quality. I have the 1020 and trust me it is way better than most smart phone cameras. Once the cropping is done it saves it to a manageable sized JPEG file.

I get that, but, despite all those mega-pixels, there's no control over the aperture or shutter speed and essentially it's a "snapshot" fully automatic camera.

Digital zooms do suck and are a horrible way to crop. However, cropping to a similar degree in PhotoShop produces a decent result from a camera of much less than 50 mega-pixels.

Dec 08 14 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

analog light

Mike Kelcher wrote:

I get that, but, despite all those mega-pixels, there's no control over the aperture or shutter speed and essentially it's a "snapshot" fully automatic camera.

Digital zooms do suck and are a horrible way to crop. However, cropping to a similar degree in PhotoShop produces a decent result from a camera of much less than 50 mega-pixels.

You actually do have control over shutter speed, iso, and exposure compensation on the 1020. There is even manual focus...No aperture control though.

Dec 09 14 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Mike Kelcher wrote:

Yeah, but with an effective focal length of 57,600mm, those 2.5 megapixels kick the shit out of my D810 36 megapixels with a 600mm and 2x converter on it.

Dec 09 14 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Riddell

Hemel Hempstead, England, United Kingdom

I really don't get people who are claiming to be professionals, yet are worried a camera phone is going to take away their business...

The only person who would ever say that is not actually any kind of professional, just thinks and says they are.

Dec 10 14 01:26 am Link