Forums > Photography Talk > sending a batch of raw via the internet?

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Anyone know of a way to send via the Internet a batch of raw image's. I can send jpeg's. Its raw that I am concerned about.

Dec 02 14 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

A lot of members use dropbox

Dec 02 14 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

I use Microsoft OneDrive. Google Drive is another option. OneDrive is not really secure, and Dropbox probably offers better security, so consider that issue.

Dec 02 14 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Not the internet, buy buy a cheap thumb drive, copy / paste / mail.

I would hate to think I had to send RAW's via the web.

Dec 02 14 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Culturally Destitute

Seattle, Washington, US

Wetransfer.com

Dec 02 14 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

PhillipM wrote:
Not the internet, buy buy a cheap thumb drive, copy / paste / mail.

I would hate to think I had to send RAW's via the web.

every few years this subject comes up.  Each time, this is still the answer.  The internet gets faster, but file sizes get bigger

Dec 02 14 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Nelson Photos

West Hollywood, California, US

Volition Graphics wrote:
Wetransfer.com

+1, up to 2 giga with receipt when it is downloaded.

Dec 02 14 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

A K - Fine Art Images

Charleston, South Carolina, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

every few years this subject comes up.  Each time, this is still the answer.  The internet gets faster, but file sizes get bigger

Depends on your connection and how many files you need to send. I routinely upload/download 50-100 raw or Photoshop files but if I needed to send 2,000 I would use FedEx. Upload speed is what is often the weakest link depending on your provider. You can use software to automate the process by synchronizing with a web server. I use http://ftpbox.org/

Dec 02 14 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Boston, Massachusetts, US

[ quote=Volition Graphics] 
Wetransfer.com

+1

Dec 03 14 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I send 1-4 gig folders to clients all the time via Hightail.  Hightail used to be called YouSendIt.  Easy to use on both ends.

The issue is not the service but your internet connection.  Many internet providers might have decent download speeds but the upload speeds can be a fraction of the download speeds.  Verizon's Fios is almost asymmetrical which means the up and down speeds are the same.  Comcast used to and maybe still does, plays a trick where the first 2 minutes go fast and then they throttle it down so when you do a internet speed test, you do well but when you use it in the real world, you are f**k.

Dec 03 14 06:34 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

My upload speed with AT&T DSL is pretty sad (<0.40 Mbps from Speedtest.net giving me a grade of "F").  About 15 minutes for one (75,000 KB) NEF file out of the Nikon D800E.  Often it will just puke and stall.  A TIFF takes about 45 minutes for 'one' image.  A JPG is tolerable, but a bunch will tax the upload and it might fail and I need to resend.

So much for "Cloud" uploading of anything here, and due to distance from "the switch" and no fiber optics, can't see it getting any better with corroding copper wires buried in the ground.

Dec 03 14 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

If you have maxed out your free space of 16GB or have a business account, then Dropbox.com is the way to go.

Even if people don't have an account, you can still share a folder.

The main benefit of Dropbox is that it works in the background.
(i.e., you save locally, and the sync process happens in the background)

In other words, you can share the folder even if it's empty, and progressively save files locally, while it syncs in the background.

Real World Application:
Let's say you need to make some additional changes, but you already "sent" the files.

You either tell the client to return the thumbdrive or you send a new one.
You tell your client to ignore/delete your email, while you prepare a new one.

OR (if you use Dropbox)

You update the folder locally, and the remote Dropbox.com folder syncs automatically in the background.

It's a great way to work collaboratively between a group of people.

Dec 03 14 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

I M N Photography wrote:
If you have maxed out your free space of 16GB or have a business account, then Dropbox.com is the way to go.

Even if people don't have an account, you can still share a folder.

The main benefit of Dropbox is that it works in the background.
(i.e., you save locally, and the sync process happens in the background)

In other words, you can share the folder even if it's empty, and progressively save files locally, while it syncs in the background.

Real World Application:
Let's say you need to make some additional changes, but you already "sent" the files.

You either tell the client to return the thumbdrive or you send a new one.
You tell your client to ignore/delete your email, while you prepare a new one.

OR (if you use Dropbox)

You update the folder locally, and the remote Dropbox.com folder syncs automatically in the background.

It's a great way to work collaboratively between a group of people.

I think that the drop box might work out for my needs. I might be fowarding a back of wedding images in the RAW (NEF) mode. I was just told that you can send RAW images with drop box. Thanks everyone.  smile

Dec 03 14 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

J-PhotoArt

San Francisco, California, US

Zave Smith Photography wrote:
I send 1-4 gig folders to clients all the time via Hightail.  Hightail used to be called YouSendIt.  Easy to use on both ends.

The issue is not the service but your internet connection.  Many internet providers might have decent download speeds but the upload speeds can be a fraction of the download speeds.  Verizon's Fios is almost asymmetrical which means the up and down speeds are the same.  Comcast used to and maybe still does, plays a trick where the first 2 minutes go fast and then they throttle it down so when you do a internet speed test, you do well but when you use it in the real world, you are f**k.

Actually asymmetrical means that the up and download speeds are different.  Symmetrical means that the up and download speeds are the same.

This is the definition found at the  Merriam-Webster Dictionary website:

" asymmetrical - having two sides or halves that are not the same : not symmetrical"

Dec 04 14 04:43 am Link

Photographer

Randy C Photography

Brooklyn, New York, US

i pay for the 100gb a month on google drive, well worth it for the $2 a month.

very lucky with the fact i have a 75/75MBS line with FIOS so uploading takes a few seconds.

for the security, i def like how i feel with google and 90% of clients have google for me, so its simple, if they dont and for some reason refuse to make a gmail. i use dropbox, i have a 6gb with them so thats my back up.

only had a few people even ask for a CD/USB anymore.

Dec 04 14 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

Though I don't sent RAW files I do send full sized tiffs, from time to time, to clients which are typically much larger.  For those I just zip them together, upload them to my website and link the client.

Dec 04 14 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

I M N Photography wrote:

By using a promoting available when I joined and getting some models to join on referral I've gotten up to having 29 GB free. That's kept me quite happy.

Dec 04 14 09:26 pm Link