Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > I cannot get a job for the life of me.

Model

Stella Sidney

Los Angeles, California, US

Not even waiting tables. It may be because I interview poorly or give off a bad impression, look depressed, too ugly etc. anyone have suggestions?

Dec 08 14 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Keep hustlin cuz

Dec 08 14 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Keep trying.
Keep interviewing.
It's practice.
It's just business.

It's like throwing darts at a wall.
Eventually, one will get that bulls eye.

Dec 08 14 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Pick somewhere You would like to work and realistically have the skill set to do the job

( Assuming they are hiring )

Offer to volunteer for a day or two to show them that you have what it takes

Dec 08 14 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Accept some modeling offers?

Dec 08 14 11:12 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
Accept some modeling offers?

Great suggestion, Click!  borat

I wonder if there is, somewhere on the interweb an online community were models and photographers could network and set up photoshoots with each other, which she could join...

Hmmm... I think I have heard of a place that might be cooler than hanging with Vince Vaughn on a five day bender... or something like that...
                                                                        evilgrin

Dec 08 14 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I have found that I can't find a job if I don't already have one, too. The art of finding a job is putting in applications (I've never done anything else) and seemingly hundreds of them. Once one is accepted and they hire you, the floodgates will open and there will be 4-5 others wanting to hire you, too.

I think of it as a paying of dues. There is no such thing as an overnight success. There may seem to be, but what is the back story? The "overnight success" on Broadway has actually been on the scene for more than 5 years, living in their car for a while and eating M&M's to stay alive for months at a time before the big break comes along and puts their name in lights.

It's true that the varying places you've applied don't know how many other places you've been to apply but they've probably taken hundreds of other applications, too.

Keep trying.  It'll happen.

In the meantime, and I've done this, too ... when I can't find a job, create one. The goal of business is to find a need and fill it. The business doesn't have to go viral and/or international to be a success. There are hundreds of success stories with people who have done different things ... including the woman who created Harry Potter. 

You have a brain, you have at least 1 talent, you have the ability to work and you have a desire for money (on some level). What else is necessary?  If what you want to do costs more money to start than you have, do something else to make enough money to buy the things you want to do what you want to do. In other words, take the low hanging fruit, sell it, use the money to buy tools that will allow you to get the better quality (more lucrative) higher hanging fruit.

Dec 08 14 11:37 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Mousseline wrote:
Not even waiting tables. It may be because I interview poorly or give off a bad impression, look depressed, too ugly etc. anyone have suggestions?

Are you depressed?

Too ugly?  Not hardly, but too pretty may be a problem.  Try interviewing looking plain.  Pretty works at a cosmetic counter or places where men are the customers, though there are some draw backs then, as well.  Are you interviewing with women?  If so, keep the girls covered.  No cleavage, no jiggle, flatten 'em out.  At a restaurant or place that caters to couples, if you distract the guy from his date, the business will lose a customer since the woman won't want to come back.  Hostess could work, waitress requires more interaction.  A friend of mine that sells cosmetics, knows she won't get the sale if the guy looks (intently) at her.

Insufficient data to determine how you interview or what impression you give.

Dec 08 14 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Don't just look for a job.

Look for a source of income.

Your mind will see wider opportunities.

https://d1mpb3f4gq7nrb.cloudfront.net/img/toons/cartoon0410.png

Dec 08 14 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

It's not you.  I spent a year and a half unemployed.  By the end I had finally gotten my first rejection letter from one of the first places I had applied.

In the end, old friends I had worked with before gave me a job.

It sucks out there.

Dec 08 14 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

what's wrong with moving - going to where the jobs are? you are pretty, and young, I am pretty sure there is a place that needs what you have to offer, you just gotta go find it. what was it they said? 'LA is a great big freeway ... ' the world IS your oyster. (this is why I believe people have a natural right to travel. MOVEMENT - it's what seperates us from plants)

I would look at other markets, maybe outside the LA and USA.

edit* I meant to say - 'I believe people have a natural right to travel without passports and visas'

Dec 08 14 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

RGK Photography

Wilton, Connecticut, US

Mousseline wrote:

What skills do you have? What experience do you have? Have you signed up at temp agencies? If you have a resume/CV that you want looked at? I would be glad to help, or there may be others here who could also give you feedback.

It is a little late, but I am surprised you couldn't find a holiday job. After Jan 1st retail, restaurant jobs tend to be harder to find, as everything slows down. The reverse is true in the corporate world as the new year brings new budgets and since most companies slow down after t-giving, they tend to hire when they start up again.

Dec 08 14 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

udor wrote:

I wonder if there is, somewhere on the interweb an online community were models and photographers could network and set up photoshoots with each other, which she could join...

Hmmm... I think I have heard of a place that might be cooler than hanging with Vince Vaughn on a five day bender... or something like that...
                                                                        evilgrin

A place where people could connect and models could make some money is what we need.   LOL... There is a kinda average looking model on Facebook who stays busy and she's not in my view as attractive as the OP.   A model asked her how she found so much work and she replied, I show up.   LA is brimming with artists and photographers looking for nude models.   A model on her hustle could easily make $500.00 or more per week and that coupled with a part time job could be decent cash.   Heck, there are lots of independent film makers around.    Every model should consider having a acting reel.   Several years ago I recall two models would organize glamor group shoots.  They provided the locations, lights and even cameras if needed.   They made videos of the shoots and sold them and do okay with the entry fee.   

I belong to several Meet up groups and I know several local shooters who pay nude models from this site to attend.   I know several models who baby sit.

Dec 08 14 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Sell things on Ebay and Craigslist.

Get creative with your sources of inventory.

Develop a niche list from your particular areas of expertise.

Develop a product line to sell on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-account … SOAUSCSNav

Dec 08 14 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Too ugly?  Not hardly, but too pretty may be a problem.

Too pretty in Los Angeles?

To the OP, it's possible that you either are under-qualified for the job or you interview poorly. I don't include "over-qualified" because if you interview really well, you can often convince someone (who would see you as overqualified) that you are a valuable asset for the position you're applying for.

In fact, if you interview very well, you stand an excellent chance of getting a job that you're not qualified for. Before I struck out on my own, I spent a significant chunk of my working life in management positions where I had to review resumes, applications and give interviews. For a given position in a given company, there are some specific needs for a job opening. Skills the potential hire must possess and the company cannot teach/train (due to time/resources/whatever).

The list of those needs in many cases tends to be short. Beyond them, there are things that most any place of employment wants. What employer doesn't want people who are personable? What employer doesn't want people who are intelligent? What employer doesn't want someone who adapts well and is a creative problem-solver?

The key to good interviewing is being able to make them like you and to lead them to believe you offer excellent value for what they'd pay you. They remember the people who made them laugh. Or people who countered them with questions that made them think. Or people who showed that they were prepared and researched their business.

Interviews, admittedly, can be stressful. You get wound up because your livelihood is on the line. You need that job and if you don't get it, you feel like you lost. We're a culture of competition that favors the winners. So how do you get good at interviewing? By taking lots of interviews. Namely, put in applications at places where you do NOT want to work.

This does a couple of things. One, it takes off the pressure of not getting that job. I mean, you don't want it anyhow. Two, it helps you learn how to contextualize your skills and experience for a given position. How do your skills make you perfect for working the perfume counter at a dept store? How do your skills make you a great candidate for a personal assistant? How do your skills make you a fantastic server at a restaurant? How do your skills make you the perfect product consultant at an independent adult novelty store? Why would you be an awesome director of media services for a hotel?

Going through a few of those takes the edge off. Eventually, you walk into an interview and you know a couple of minutes in that they're eating out of the palm of your hand. Put in some applications at places that you know you'd never work to get some practice interviewing. I can understand the desire to have a job: there's a level of security that freelance work cannot provide. Just keep at it. It's kind of a numbers game.

Dec 08 14 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I can only answer from my own experience.

I was a starving student. I answered every ad (this was when most people read "newspapers," an analog information source), went to stores and kept walking in the doors and asking to fill out an application until someone accepted me.

Dec 08 14 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Kincaid Blackwood wrote:

we don't know if the OP is actually in Los Angeles or what she currently looks like.
i always pick on her, (even tho i enjoy her comedic forum posts) but all her photos are REALLY OLD and shes not from Los Angeles. Shes from Louisiana.
some members don't believe shes even real.
i even offered her $50 to prove it.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st19150564

Hell, if she needs a job/cash, that was $50 right there she coulda picked up.

So Mousseline,
want to finally tell us in what part of the country you are looking for a job?

Dec 08 14 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

keep trying. all it takes is for one person to like you enough to hire you. and then you'll be on the inside of something and it should be easier to get the next one.

i found my current job on craig's list.

Dec 08 14 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

what happened here?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=927751

seriously, how long will this go on? it's gone past ridiculous, and is headed right back towards sublime.

Dec 08 14 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Mousseline wrote:

You probably say something crazy, show up late, talk too much?

Dec 08 14 08:36 pm Link

Artist/Painter

LeboGraphics

BRONX, New York, US

They say like 80% of jobs are gotten through personal connections. I'd suggest networking with all the people in your circle to find people in their circle who can help. Someone may know of something. I got my current job through a friend after sending out about a hundred resumes.

Are you open to anything? What kind of a job or jobs are you looking for?

Dec 08 14 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

^ this.
its all about who you know.
i got my job thru model mayhem.
my current position is totally unrelated to model/photography too.

Dec 08 14 08:55 pm Link

Model

Stella Sidney

GK photo wrote:
what happened here?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=927751

seriously, how long will this go on? it's gone past ridiculous, and is headed right back towards sublime.

That's old! I don't work there anymore.

Dec 08 14 08:56 pm Link

Model

Stella Sidney

IrisSwope wrote:

I think I just rub the wrong way in general |:

Dec 08 14 08:58 pm Link

Model

Stella Sidney

Tony Lawrence wrote:
A place where people could connect and models could make some money is what we need.   LOL... There is a kinda average looking model on Facebook who stays busy and she's not in my view as attractive as the OP.   A model asked her how she found so much work and she replied, I show up.   LA is brimming with artists and photographers looking for nude models.   A model on her hustle could easily make $500.00 or more per week and that coupled with a part time job could be decent cash.   Heck, there are lots of independent film makers around.    Every model should consider having a acting reel.   Several years ago I recall two models would organize glamor group shoots.  They provided the locations, lights and even cameras if needed.   They made videos of the shoots and sold them and do okay with the entry fee.   

I belong to several Meet up groups and I know several local shooters who pay nude models from this site to attend.   I know several models who baby sit.

I'm considering this.

Dec 08 14 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

PK Brazil

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Do you have any homicide convictions?

Dec 08 14 09:01 pm Link

Model

Stella Sidney

udor wrote:

evilgrin

I actually don't get that many worthwhile offers.

Dec 08 14 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Mousseline wrote:

you didnt even entertain my offer sad
i haz a sad.

Dec 08 14 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mousseline wrote:

I think I just rub the wrong way in general |:

Step 1: Stop rubbing people the wrong way.

Dec 08 14 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

-JAY- wrote:

Step 1: Stop rubbing people the wrong way.

Step 2: work at a shady massage parlor?

Dec 08 14 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

...or there's always the pole.

Dec 09 14 04:08 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Kincaid Blackwood wrote:

To the OP, it's possible that you either are under-qualified for the job or you interview poorly. I don't include "over-qualified" because if you interview really well, you can often convince someone (who would see you as overqualified) that you are a valuable asset for the position you're applying for.

In fact, if you interview very well, you stand an excellent chance of getting a job that you're not qualified for. Before I struck out on my own, I spent a significant chunk of my working life in management positions where I had to review resumes, applications and give interviews. For a given position in a given company, there are some specific needs for a job opening. Skills the potential hire must possess and the company cannot teach/train (due to time/resources/whatever).

The list of those needs in many cases tends to be short. Beyond them, there are things that most any place of employment wants. What employer doesn't want people who are personable? What employer doesn't want people who are intelligent? What employer doesn't want someone who adapts well and is a creative problem-solver?

The key to good interviewing is being able to make them like you and to lead them to believe you offer excellent value for what they'd pay you. They remember the people who made them laugh. Or people who countered them with questions that made them think. Or people who showed that they were prepared and researched their business.

Interviews, admittedly, can be stressful. You get wound up because your livelihood is on the line. You need that job and if you don't get it, you feel like you lost. We're a culture of competition that favors the winners. So how do you get good at interviewing? By taking lots of interviews. Namely, put in applications at places where you do NOT want to work.

This does a couple of things. One, it takes off the pressure of not getting that job. I mean, you don't want it anyhow. Two, it helps you learn how to contextualize your skills and experience for a given position. How do your skills make you perfect for working the perfume counter at a dept store? How do your skills make you a great candidate for a personal assistant? How do your skills make you a fantastic server at a restaurant? How do your skills make you the perfect product consultant at an independent adult novelty store? Why would you be an awesome director of media services for a hotel?

Going through a few of those takes the edge off. Eventually, you walk into an interview and you know a couple of minutes in that they're eating out of the palm of your hand. Put in some applications at places that you know you'd never work to get some practice interviewing. I can understand the desire to have a job: there's a level of security that freelance work cannot provide. Just keep at it. It's kind of a numbers game.

this is Gold

Dec 09 14 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

You, and a few million other folks.

The competition for jobs is still extremely high, as their are still few good jobs out there, for anyone.

Dec 09 14 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

"By hook or by crook"

I wonder where those words come from?

Dec 09 14 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Kincaid Blackwood wrote:

In fact, if you interview very well, you stand an excellent chance of getting a job that you're not] qualified for.

This times 100.

Walked into a job interview many years ago, that I was under qualified for, but had some documentation that lied and covered my ass in that regard.

When I met the interviewer, I introduced myself as "your new____" as I firmly gripped his hand and looked right in his eye. I never took my eyes off his.

He started asking me a few questions, have I done this, this, & this. My answers were no, no & no. After a bit he was tapping his pencil on the desk, I knew I had to do something very quickly or lose it.

So I said to him does it really matter what those systems are transporting? They still all connect the same way, it doesn't matter if piss is flowing thru them, I can still do that.

He cracked up, and said yeah you're right. Come in Monday morning to start.
That pull more $$$ into my pocket than I ever dreamed I could make.

Dec 09 14 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Mousseline wrote:

IrisSwope wrote:

Or maybe your hatred of children shows.

Dec 09 14 08:29 am Link

Photographer

J Haggerty

Augusta, Georgia, US

I see listings often for the following categories:

-administrative assistant
-marketing
-graphic design
-tech support
-web development

I am excluding retail positions (except warehouses, check out Home Depot and Lowes) because those are not entirely stable positions and are controlled by seasons and trends. They have a high turn rate for employees (people coming and going).

Look at the above categories and research them. Technology is the leading job provider currently. It can be a bit unstable, especially if you look into start-ups, but on the flip side when you have even a touch of experience (2-4 months) it will work for you instead of against you.

Time to get out of the cliche mindset of being a starving creative waiting tables, because LOADS of starving creatives are going to want to wait tables and that's the go-to choice. You're setting yourself up to compete with a lot of other people in the same fields as you so you need to remove yourself from that in order to have a better chance of finding work. Tech jobs are really great because it's a highly marketable skill and once you get over the low-end income of a newbie and get to intermediate status you can start looking at REMOTE positions. These can be done from home and free up a lot of time to pursue your modeling/other endeavors.

Dec 09 14 08:51 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Mousseline wrote:

It appears to me that quite a few people would like to shoot with you, but they are always getting shut down by you.

Even if you don't like their work or style... but if they pay you to model for them, it's a gig... the more gigs you get, the stronger your portfolio gets, the more likely you will get paid.

You can not just wait until you are "famous", you've got to move your butt into it's direction!

Dec 09 14 12:01 pm Link

Model

kat NUDES

Orlando, Florida, US

Update your resume, dress professionally, be polite and smile.
Don't waste your time in a restaurant unless you want to drive yourself insane with insults and being over-worked.

Dec 09 14 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Yan Tan Tethera

Biggleswade, England, United Kingdom

Mousseline wrote:

Why don't you try modeling?

I mean serious modeling.

Dec 09 14 12:30 pm Link