Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Target and Kmart ban GTA V from sale.

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gta-5-g … -1.2860195

All because of 20,000 or so people whining on a petition.........

So adults can't buy games now and play them.

Why aren't we banning TV shows and movies which contain a lot worse?

Dec 10 14 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

John Photography wrote:

Pretty sure you can still buy them at other places than these 2 stores ??
Adults cant buy lots of things in these stores
Playboy for example(Im assuming)
Are you complaining about this also ?

Dec 10 14 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There's another petition that went up after this went down.

Petitioning Target Australia to ban the bible for the exact same reasons - it currently has 58,000 supporters vs the 20K of the original GTA V one.

And FYI: There's no "encourages players to murder women" --- it's equal opportunity to kill everyone.

Dec 10 14 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Los Angeles, California, US

-JAY- wrote:
And FYI: There's no "encourages players to murder women" --- it's equal opportunity to kill everyone.

I mean, sure, in the open-world sense it's equal opportunity but in the storyline the overwhelming majority of the people that you have to kill are men. I can't think of a single female in the game that the character has to kill to complete any mission. The only woman who dies, does so off-camera in a cutscene.

I find their specific characterization of this game (that it encourages players to kill or murder) to be sadly ironic. The irony is that this particular game, out of all the others, provides players with a character who serves as a mirror to the sociopathic tendencies of players in games past. Trevor is everything that players have been when left to their own devices in an open world and, finally, players are prompted to be left with a bad taste in their mouths for the violence they perpetuate in the game. It's sad that they miss this irony in the larger context of the series.

For once players are forced to reconsider how they've been playing the game. That's a rather brilliant aspect of GTA V. It was similar to the way that the movie Unforgiven was Clint Eastwood's way of showing how fucked up all the violence is in westerns and make people reconsider his time as The Man with No Name (the backstory of his character in Unforgiven was basically the list of deeds committed by any given character that he played in westerns when he was young).

Dec 10 14 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Do you still beat and rob hookers in this version ?

Dec 10 14 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 … -violence/

Interesting article on the topic

I don't really like GTA or the game's premise, but I don't see the point in a "ban" of it through one or two stores. Just don't buy it.

Probably a PR move for target, this CBC article.

Dec 10 14 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kerrek

Orlando, Florida, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

You can beat and rob anyone. There's no mission which requires or encourages it, so your question would be better phrased as "CAN you still beat and rob hookers"...  unless you were just trolling.

Dec 11 14 02:30 am Link

Photographer

P O T T S

Lake City, Florida, US

Michael Kerrek wrote:

You can beat and rob anyone. There's no mission which requires or encourages it, so your question would be better phrased as "CAN you still beat and rob hookers"...  unless you were just trolling.

But the premise is "Grand Theft" and you play the role of a criminal? Not hard to troll when that is the point of the game.

On the ban - the stores have to answer to shareholders. If the shareholders do not want to sell something, they don't have to. Likewise, if you are unhappy with that decision, you do not have to shop at the stores. The open and free market will always decide who was "right".

Dec 11 14 03:04 am Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

There are absolutely ZERO characters in the single player game who have redeeming qualities. They are all spoofs of the seedy underworld of criminals. Gangs, mobs, white collar, theft, murder, drugs, trafficking, etc.

There are a couple missions in which a kill target happens to be a woman (like say a movie or ad executive). But at the same time, there are many, many, many more missions where the kill target is a man.

At worst, one could claim sexism because none of the main three playable characters are women (you can play as one in GTA Online). But then again, how often is there a thieving, murdering woman? Statistics and general paying attention shows that it's guys who commit the vast majority of major crimes.

There is a strip club and prostitution, but there's also no indication in the game that those women are forced into their professions, or are unhappy doing either. No pimps, no abused sex workers.

GTA is a game of terrible taste, but it's directly a spoof of terrible reality. The commercials are all spoofs of the ridiculous of media. The fake news stories are all spoofs of how stupid our news media is. There's loads of pop culture spoofs.

This story just annoys me. Rockstar should make a female character playable in GTAVI, and have male strippers/prostitutes, and maybe this nonsense would go away, but we all know it wouldn't. Sexism very much exists in the game industry, but GTA is an example of a game that makes fun of everyone and everything, not just women.

Edit: Reading an article right now, it points to only having a problem with prostitutes being murdered, because they are already a victim class.

Some issues I take with this:

- Sex workers are not always victims. In societies where it's unregulated, it can often happen, though, so fair enough.

- Sex workers are not the only group of people who are victims in society (and in the game, they aren't presented as victims period). The game also allows you to kill the homeless, drug addicts, and characters in urban areas who are likely born into, and stuck, in a gang culture. So when the problem becomes "violence against people who are already victims" where exactly is that line drawn? Hell, all the random folks that you can gleefully run over in the game 'because lulz' don't get a chance to tell their story, so no clue if they are victims or not.

Maybe in the end, Rockstar should only portray spoofs and "employment" that are "gender neutral". Take out the prostitution and strippers (or include other genders). Make sure there's an equal amount of playable males and females, but then we're ignoring non binary genders, so that could also be a problem. But since media only cares about "traditional" gender, I have a feeling there wouldn't be any ground swell.

To me, most of these articles read like they are written by people who haven't actually played the game. It's a seedy world. There is no redemption for anyone. The whole game is "people suck, go have fun in it's ridiculousness."

Dec 11 14 03:42 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kerrek

Orlando, Florida, US

P O T T S wrote:
But the premise is "Grand Theft" and you play the role of a criminal? Not hard to troll when that is the point of the game.

So you're equating all criminal behavior with targeted sexual violence against women?

The point of the game is criminal activity in general. It allows violence against women in the exact same way it allows violence against men, except there's no sex component with the men. The sex component with the women is consensual. There is no rape required, encouraged, or even depicted anywhere in the game. Feminist trolls like to push the "sexual violence" angle as though there's an entire portion of the game dedicated to and requiring the completion of serial rape, torture, and murder of women- all because you can kill a hooker in all the exact same ways you can kill any other character in the game, and take her money like any other character in the game.

50 Shades of Grey is very mainstream, and has gathered very little uproar of any substance- despite being a form of entertainment that profits from depictions of sexual violence against women. That book romanticizes domestic abuse, utilizes victim blaming for the woman nearly being raped (telling her it was her fault it nearly happened), depicts abducting a woman against her will, and depicts actual rape. All of this behavior is excused.

GTA V will pass the Pepsi challenge on any "which is more misogynistic and violent towards women" comparison you make to that piece of "literature". If it can beat a very popular mainstream book revered by soccer-moms, it can't possibly be your biggest concern.

At least GTA operates honestly. GTA is the 20-something guy in a bar who honestly says he's looking to have sex and will probably never see you again. 50SoG is the high school guy on prom night who promises you he'll love you *forever*, just as long as he can get into your pants *tonight*.

Dec 11 14 05:01 am Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Michael Kerrek wrote:
The point of the game is criminal activity in general. ...

That's enough info right there.  Glorifying crime is not a healthy endeavor. 

Stores have the right to restrict sales of a video game.  The wanna-be thugs can buy it someplace else.  Big deal.

Dec 11 14 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jay  Edwards wrote:

That's enough info right there.  Glorifying crime is not a healthy endeavor. 

Stores have the right to restrict sales of a video game.  The wanna-be thugs can buy it someplace else.  Big deal.

It is still available for sale at many other stores.

Dec 11 14 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

If I remember correctly, previous versions of GTA were also banned here & there.  If anything, the banning helped sales.

Dec 11 14 09:45 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I think every young child has the right to kill hookers and steal cars.

Dec 11 14 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Who cares about GTA when there is Resident Evil 5?

Go to Youtube and search my channel and see my game uploads then you know what you have been missing.

Dec 11 14 06:58 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I will kick anyone's ass at Yar's Revenge old school
Atari with joy sticks.

Dec 11 14 10:11 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

John Photography wrote:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gta-5-g … -1.2860195

All because of 20,000 or so people whining on a petition.........

Why aren't we banning TV shows and movies which contain a lot worse?

I got my game from Wal-Mart. Problem solved. Fuck Target, over priced Bull Shit. No, I will NOT pay an extra $3 on the exact same item that I can get somewhere else. Plus their stores are too damn red.

Dec 11 14 10:39 pm Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Santa Rosa, California, US

Jules NYC wrote:

When you put it that way, it's hard to disagree.

Dec 11 14 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Jules NYC wrote:

God Bless America...
Lol

Dec 12 14 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

I don't understand the issue here.

Honestly there are lots of other places to buy video games. I don't see how this will at all affect anyones lives.

Dec 12 14 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Danielle Reid wrote:

I got my game from Wal-Mart. Problem solved. Fuck Target, over priced Bull Shit. No, I will NOT pay an extra $3 on the exact same item that I can get somewhere else. Plus their stores are too damn red.

I thought that you liked red.   smile

Dec 12 14 03:39 am Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Buffalo, New York, US

Jules NYC wrote:
I will kick anyone's ass at Yar's Revenge old school
Atari with joy sticks.

HSHWSH!

Dec 12 14 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

And even the male guys can kiss one another!!!

Dec 12 14 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-JAY- wrote:
Petitioning Target Australia to ban the bible for the exact same reasons - it currently has 58,000 supporters vs the 20K of the original GTA V one.

They tried the same thing on change.org in the US market as well. Only one problem...the dimwits who started the petition didn't realize that Target doesn't sell the bible in their stores. Oops.

Dec 12 14 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Shot By Adam wrote:

They tried the same thing on change.org in the US market as well. Only one problem...the dimwits who started the petition didn't realize that Target doesn't sell the bible in their stores. Oops.

heehee

Dec 12 14 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Big Apple Models

New York, New York, US

Toys R Us in the USA banned 'Breaking Bad' action figures because some bored mom created a petition. Yet Toys R Us still sells action figures for Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy, etc.

Similarly your lame Target still sells all the other games that have content just like GTA5.

Dec 14 14 01:45 am Link

Photographer

RacerXPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

I still dont get the
Sex=Bad
Violence=Good
POV in general and esp regarding media consumption for kids
But Im just a crazy hippie type

Dec 14 14 03:33 am Link