Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > list: the WORST christmas/holiday songs

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

bring 'em.

my contribution (for now)

the ungodly awful paul mccartney tune, "having a wondeful christmas time." yuck!

big honors also go the the 80's goofy holiday tune by the waitresses. i'm not even sure of the name. you've all heard it, though. and i know, by this time, i'm sick of all of them. i'm just asking for your picks as to the ones that are annoying, even in september, when they start coming back on the air. smile

Dec 18 14 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

All ?

Dec 31 69 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

GK photo wrote:
big honors also go the the 80''s goofy holiday tune by the waitresses. i''m not even sure of the name. you''ve all heard it, though. and i know, by this time, i''m sick of all of them. i''m just asking for your picks as to the ones that are annoying, even in september, when they start coming back on the air. smile

Christmas Wrapping.

I like that song, but mostly because the ska band Save Ferris made a version about what it''s like to be a Jew in LA at Christmas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKt6UjHQ5PY

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

GK photo wrote:
bring ''em.

the ungodly awful paul mccartney tune, "having a wondeful christmas time." yuck!

big honors also go the the 80''s goofy holiday tune by the waitresses. i''m not even sure of the name. you''ve all heard it, though. and i know, by this time, i''m sick of all of them. i''m just asking for your picks as to the ones that are annoying, even in september, when they start coming back on the air. smile

Can''t bring anything to the table more horrific than that one.

Photographer

Naughty Ties

Riverview, Florida, US

Vintagevista wrote:

Can''''t bring anything to the table more horrific than that one.

Amen to that.

Photographer

Gelsen Aripia Images

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3iEMmmYUkE

I don't understand why they don't just stick to playing the George Michael version, which is nice.  This version is horrid.

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I am Buddhist, and I do not observe Christmas. There are plenty of great Christmas songs, and more than a few bad songs. The novelty songs don''t bug me, it''s the vaguely secular old commercial standbys that bother me - Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, I''m Dreaming of a White Christmas.

I guess my favorite Christmas song would be George Harrison''s ''My Sweet Lord''.

Photographer

GK photo

Eugenya Donald Images wrote:

not that i''m going to trumpet the virtues of the original song, but that there version is fucking horrid. is that was passes for female pop vocalists in this day and age? holy effing yellow snowballs.

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

John Lennon So This is Christmas. I love that man but he managed to make the most pious full of himself song of all time, Not just Christmas but any season ever. And then comes Yoko doing backups just to add more fingernails to the chalkboard. It gets 100 zillion plays every year.

Do they know its Christmas.
Well no, some of them don''t know its Christmas, not all country''s roll that way. Would they rather we forced ourselves on them in those matters? And tonight thank God its them instead of youuuuuuooo!

Bruce Springsteen''s ever jocular non ending Santa Clause is comieieieieng too-oo taoown!

Bah HUMBUG!

Edited to add there are fun ones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X96Un6POoo8#t=132

Photographer

VictorGFoto

Sacramento, California, US

The Willie Nelson and Norah Jones version of "Baby its cold outside".  Its absolutely horrible, Willie sounds like he has just given up and is only doing it for whatever money he can get with it.  He talks through the whole song.  I like Willie, but this was garbage.

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Right Poes wrote:
John Lennon So This is Christmas. I love that man but he managed to make the most pious full of himself song of all time, Not just Christmas but any season ever. And then comes Yoko doing backups just to add more fingernails to the chalkboard. It gets 100 zillion plays every year.

I've never heard it and it sounds like I don't want to...   smile

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Eugenya Donald Images wrote:

I don''''t understand why they don''''t just stick to playing the George Michael version, which is nice.  This version is horrid.

I agree, Wham! (George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley) did that one so much better.

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

VictorG Photography wrote:
The Willie Nelson and Norah Jones version of "Baby its cold outside".  Its absolutely horrible, Willie sounds like he has just given up and is only doing it for whatever money he can get with it.  He talks through the whole song.  I like Willie, but this was garbage.

I had not heard that one, found it on google since you mentioned it...ohh my this is HORRIBLE!

Photographer

Gelsen Aripia Images

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I read somewhere (can''t remember where) that Paul McCartney wrote "Wonderful Christmas Time" as an answer to John Lennon''s "Happy Xmas".  Apparently, McCartney thought Lennon needed to lighten up, and so purposely wrote his Christmas tune in an overly simplistic and lighthearted style, simply to show-up Lennon and his preachy song.

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

All of them. Tired of hearing them on the radio, in the stores, etc. They start playing them none stop a week before Thanksgiving!

I lost the Christmas spirit once I found out my mother was Santa Claus. Wasn''t hard to figure out...my brother and I got bikes one year and they had mud on the tires (rained all night). I thought Santa was magical, he wouldn''t roll two bikes through our front year -_-

Dec 19 14 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Danielle Reid wrote:
I lost the Christmas spirit once I found out my mother was Santa Claus. Wasn''''t hard to figure out...my brother and I got bikes one year and they had mud on the tires (rained all night). I thought Santa was magical, he wouldn''''t roll two bikes through our front year -_-

Easy explanation for this. Reindeer were drinking, Blitzen was humping Donner, and the whole team and sleigh slid off the roof into the yard. Hence, mud on your bike tires. smile

Dec 19 14 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

GK photo wrote:
big honors also go the the 80''s goofy holiday tune by the waitresses.

As a bassist, I loved playing that song (Christmas Wrapping), it was fun.  We had a killer horn section too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SzjDOk_u9I

Imma go put that on now...

I love Christmas music!

Dec 19 14 01:12 pm Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Buffalo, New York, US

When I worked in retail and was brutally and inhumanely exposed to xmas tunes the ones that hurt the most were, and I could be wrong here about who it actually is because I don''t want to look them up and hear them again, the Jackson 5 songs- the ones with a young high-pitched Michael yelling into my bleeding ears. The "I saw mommy kissing santa claus" one was especially godawful.

Dec 19 14 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

and then there''s the skeevy, date rape holiday hit, "baby it's cold outside." lol

Dec 19 14 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

GK photo wrote:
and then there''''s the skeevy, date rape holiday hit, "baby it''s cold outside." lol

I only know the Dean Martin version of the song, but I have no idea how you could get that from it. It''s a great song!

Dec 19 14 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:
I only know the Dean Martin version of the song, but I have no idea how you could get that from it. It''''s a great song!

easy...the lyrics. it's probably on a loop on cosby's ipod. tongue

Dec 19 14 03:54 pm Link

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

Feliz Navidad.  omfg makes me want to beat my own head in.

also, sleigh ride.  because i played it in orchestra in high school and the conductor made us practice it about a thousand times.  i want to dig up (composer) leroy anderson just so i can kill him for writing such an annoying POC.

...i really do like christmas aside from this, though big_smile

Dec 19 14 05:24 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I fucking hate holiday songs.

They annoy the shit out of me.

Dec 19 14 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

GK photo wrote:
bring ''em.

smile

yep,the one with the cheesy casio synth ..ick
that''s my most despised one

Dec 19 14 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:
I only know the Dean Martin version of the song, but I have no idea how you could get that from it. It''''''''s a great song!

GK photo wrote:
easy...the lyrics. it''s probably on a loop on cosby''s ipod. tongue

Yup, absolutely, the rapiest Xmas song EVER, and one of the most recent episodes of South Park went there with gusto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ5dn6nDuv4

"Wonderful Christmas Time" is McCartney on autopilot. Utter dreck.

My favorite Xmas/holiday song is Cocteau Twins' totally blissed-out version of "Frosty The Snowman" (they also cover "Winter Wonderland" but it's a pretty ordinary version).

Dec 19 14 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

kickfight wrote:
Yup, absolutely, the rapiest Xmas song EVER, and one of the most recent episodes of South Park went there with gusto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ5dn6nDuv4

lol and here i thought i was onto something.

Dec 19 14 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

The worst Christmas song, hands down is Santa Baby. There are other annoying songs, but IMO, Santa Baby is by far the worst.

Dec 19 14 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

James S wrote:
The worst Christmas song, hands down is Santa Baby. There are other annoying songs, but IMO, Santa Baby is by far the worst.

+1000  And in second place is Have a Holly Jolly Christmas.

Dec 19 14 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

Eye of the World wrote:

+1000  And in second place is Have a Holly Jolly Christmas.

Holly Jolly Christmas isn''t near as bad. My big problem with that one, is that it is way overplayed on the radio. They''ll play the Burl Ives version, then 10 minutes later, they''ll play the Faith Hill version, and 10 minutes later, someone else singing it, and so on.

Dec 20 14 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Best:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA6BYMbF6G8  - Roy Chubby Brown - where''s me fucking bike?

Worst: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADbJLo4x-tk - vomit inducing smaltz. Bing - you didn't need the money that bad.

Dec 20 14 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Dec 20 14 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Not a big fan of some of the novelty Christmas songs, "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" and the dogs barking "Jingle Bells."

Paul McCartney, sorry, isn''t much better.

I was raised on "The Little Drummer Boy" Christmas album, and I still like a whole bunch of it. And later on, I thought Davie Bowie and Bing Crosby did a bang-up job on the titular tune.

Dec 21 14 01:50 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

An entertainment company paid me to sing Christmas carols all day. I had a blast, got paid and got a free lunch.

I dig them all.

Dec 21 14 09:18 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Justin wrote:
dogs barking "Jingle Bells"

Oh but that's choice!
I laugh every time

Dec 21 14 09:20 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Koryn wrote:
I fucking hate holiday songs.

They annoy the shit out of me.

Glooooooor - oooooooorrrrrrr - ooooooorrr - ia

lol

Dec 21 14 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Right Poes wrote:

Bah HUMBUG!

Marillion does a much better verison of this song(I know,blasphomos to the bugheads out there that think nothing Lennon des can be done better)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_CGfkIiM9Q

Dec 21 14 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Damon Strong

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

"Santa Claus Is a Black Man".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XT-lJaAfCo

Dec 21 14 11:08 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Dec 21 14 12:20 pm Link