Forums > Model Colloquy > Model with 4 tattoos

Model

LaurenElyse

Lee's Summit, Missouri, US

I've been busy with college and my actual 9-5 job so I wasn't able to look for modeling jobs regularly. I just posted an availability notice on here saying that I'd be willing to travel anywhere for jobs, thinking that would broaden my horizons. I live in Lee's Summit, MO. Does anyone know where you can get an agent that set you up with with different jobs that you'd be good for? (Please, no redundant comments about having more pix or a better port. Again, all my pix aren't on this site, but I have more available to show agencies.)

Dec 30 14 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

What do the four tattoos have to do with getting an agent?

Dec 30 14 06:23 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hello,
I've been modeling for about 3 years now and learned in my 20's that an agent, (for me,) hurt my chances to model.

Is there a reason you want an agent specifically?

Jen

Dec 30 14 06:31 am Link

Photographer

HalfMoonColorado

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, US

At the risk of being rude I don't think an agent is going to get you free travel to model anywhere.

Dec 30 14 06:57 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

As I see it, there are not going to be any photographers willing to cover travel expenses for anyone who isn't already well established and has some following, and you are basically in the middle of nowhere as far as having local modelling work available.

Because there are literally millions of other girls who want to be models, the competition for any openings is fierce. An agent probably isn't going to help you and a lot of the photographers you would want to work with will avoid models with an agent because they don't care to deal with an intermediary and would rather negotiate directly with the model.

The nearest place where there is going to be a lot of photographers is Chicago, and I'd expect if you lived there, you would be able to find at least some work from time to time if you are out there looking for it.

Being very active in responding to casting calls, and contacting photographers who are showing work with models having similar statistics to yourself is the best solution. At 5'2 you aren't likely to find much interest from those shooting mainstream fashion and most of the other genres you are listing, they all want much taller and younger girls. You need to spend an hour or two every day promoting yourself, being active in the MM forums, and networking with people. No agent is going to devote that much time to finding assignments for anyone except the best of the professional model types, they simply have too many people they are representing.

The best opportunity for shorter girls is in things like lingerie, pinup, artistic nudes, erotic and fetish work and there are photographers who would be willing to pay you to do those. Since you haven't listed most of those in your profile I presume you aren't interested in them, but that's where most of the paid work is. Amateur photographers and GWC's who treat models with respect are perfectly fine to model for and will usually pay you more than a professional photographer.

Dec 30 14 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Dec 30 14 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
http://www.newmodels.com/height.html

errrrr - unsolicited critique.

Dec 30 14 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Virtual Studio wrote:
errrrr - unsolicited critique.

errrrr - you're trolling.

OP, it won't matter at all. Do as you wish in regards to tats.

Dec 30 14 04:49 pm Link

Model

LaurenElyse

Rob Photosby wrote:
What do the four tattoos have to do with getting an agent?

Some jobs don't care if you have tats, some do.

Dec 31 14 05:58 pm Link

Model

LaurenElyse

Jen B wrote:
Hello,
I've been modeling for about 3 years now and learned in my 20's that an agent, (for me,) hurt my chances to model.

Is there a reason you want an agent specifically?

Jen

I'm not booking any jobs without an agent.

Dec 31 14 05:58 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

LaurenElyse  wrote:
I'm not booking any jobs without an agent.

Do you mean you prefer not to book any jobs without an agent? Has an agent booked you any jobs? Have you saught jobs on your own or spoke with other models locally who use agents versus those who are self booking?

I wish you the best and recommend only signing with an agent if the offer they give you is really good. I might sign with one later if  I move to an area that is ripe with them and jobs for someone my age and it is NOT an exclusive contract. Never know?!
Jen
P.s. is there a reason you want an agent? Is it because you think they will get you work?

Dec 31 14 06:01 pm Link

Model

LaurenElyse

HalfMoonColorado wrote:
At the risk of being rude I don't think an agent is going to get you free travel to model anywhere.

hmm...where should I look for jobs?

Dec 31 14 06:02 pm Link

Model

LaurenElyse

Figures Jen B wrote:

Do you mean you prefer not to book any jobs without an agent? Has an agent booked you any jobs? Have you saught jobs on your own or spoke with other models locally who use agents versus those who are self booking?

I wish you the best and recommend only signing with an agent if the offer they give you is really good. I might sign with one later if  I move to an area that is ripe with them and jobs for someone my age and it is NOT an exclusive contract. Never know?!
Jen
P.s. is there a reason you want an agent? Is it because you think they will get you work?

I'm not booking jobs with anyone lol. I thought having an agent, I'd always have someone on deck booking things that are perfect for me.

Dec 31 14 06:03 pm Link

Model

LaurenElyse

MatureModelMM wrote:
As I see it, there are not going to be any photographers willing to cover travel expenses for anyone who isn't already well established and has some following, and you are basically in the middle of nowhere as far as having local modelling work available.

Because there are literally millions of other girls who want to be models, the competition for any openings is fierce. An agent probably isn't going to help you and a lot of the photographers you would want to work with will avoid models with an agent because they don't care to deal with an intermediary and would rather negotiate directly with the model.

The nearest place where there is going to be a lot of photographers is Chicago, and I'd expect if you lived there, you would be able to find at least some work from time to time if you are out there looking for it.

Being very active in responding to casting calls, and contacting photographers who are showing work with models having similar statistics to yourself is the best solution. At 5'2 you aren't likely to find much interest from those shooting mainstream fashion and most of the other genres you are listing, they all want much taller and younger girls. You need to spend an hour or two every day promoting yourself, being active in the MM forums, and networking with people. No agent is going to devote that much time to finding assignments for anyone except the best of the professional model types, they simply have too many people they are representing.

The best opportunity for shorter girls is in things like lingerie, pinup, artistic nudes, erotic and fetish work and there are photographers who would be willing to pay you to do those. Since you haven't listed most of those in your profile I presume you aren't interested in them, but that's where most of the paid work is. Amateur photographers and GWC's who treat models with respect are perfectly fine to model for and will usually pay you more than a professional photographer.

Good idea. I wouldn't mind doing lingerie or swimsuit modeling. I'll add that to my profile. I really wanna broaden my horizons, but I don't wanna do nude.

Dec 31 14 06:08 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

LaurenElyse  wrote:

I'm not booking jobs with anyone lol. I thought having an agent, I'd always have someone on deck booking things that are perfect for me.

I actually do not think that is how it works. Agents may be able to send you on "basically" auditions to try to get work but, consider what an actor's agent does. My story about my brief time with an agent is after I'd done some groundwork and then an agent signed me to an exclusive contract and within the next week and month the other networking I'd done was paying off and I was receiving several offers to work which...I had to turn all down because by then I'd signed to an exclusive contract. However the agency that I signed that exclusive contract didn't get me work, they basically blocked all work for that season. Coincidentally I looked a lot like one of their top models and would've probably been her competition had the agency not signed and put me on the proverbial bench. My bridges were burned after having done the groundwork with the other places too. I learned a lesson.

However and agent isn't likely to get you work. What type of work are you looking to get or do you think an agent will get you? Are there agencies in your area? Why not go to open calls or submit to them through mail or online?

Jen

Jan 01 15 10:23 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

LaurenElyse  wrote:

Good idea. I wouldn't mind doing lingerie or swimsuit modeling. I'll add that to my profile. I really wanna broaden my horizons, but I don't wanna do nude.

Since I'm not with an agent and the only time I'd ever been paid to model was over 20 years ago for some promotional modeling in Chicago, (without an agent,) my advice may be way off mark. However finding work as a model can be similar to finding work as an actor or dancer or anything else in the arts. You are competing with a lot of other talent that wants the job and you are auditioning or casting for jobs that may be very specific in what they are looking for. I really do not think that an agent will set you up for an easy launch into modeling, (nor anyone else into an easy launch into modeling actually.)

Maybe for the rare situations of incredible luck it might but, very rare and even then loads of hard work and dedication go into those situations to make it work.

There are several links of helpful information posted at the top of the model forums, I'd check them out.
Jen

Jan 01 15 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Figures Jen B wrote:
...  an agent signed me to an exclusive contract and within the next week and month the other networking I'd done was paying off and I was receiving several offers to work which...I had to turn all down because by then I'd signed to an exclusive contract. However the agency that I signed that exclusive contract didn't get me work, they basically blocked all work for that season.

This is not an unusual story.

Also, many photographers will decline to deal with an agent.

Jan 01 15 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

LaurenElyse  wrote:

I know lots of models.  I know lots of models who do this pretty much full time.  The successful models treat modeling like a job, and put in the time (sometimes more) as they would at a regular 9-5 to find jobs and opportunities.  Very few models that I know have agents, in the sense of what you think an agent is and what they do.

So, do you want to do promotional modeling?  Find a promo company that fills positions with girls to do things.  You may or may not like many of those jobs.  Sometimes, it's handing out energy drink samples at a open field concert festival on a nice spring day and they just want you to wear something cute.  Sometimes, it's standing at a table in a grocery store trying to get people to try a new kind of tuna fish.  Not very glamorous.  And you'll make $13/hr, hopefully.

Do you want to do catalog modeling?  Good luck.  Of the two companies I do catalog shooting for, they're extremely selective of the bodies and faces they want to sell their clothing.  I have made suggestions over the years, and from about 8 girls I've suggested, only 2 were selected and one wasn't even used after the shoot.

I personally don't see how an agent would help you.  You either want to do this seriously, or you don't.  If you want it, you have to put in the time to find the jobs.  Lots of answering casting calls, lots of searching on craigslist, lots of making connections with people and finding out where they're finding jobs.

Modeling as a career requires as much or more prep work and job finding as a regular full time job.  So if you already have a full time job, and school on top of that, maybe you shouldn't have such high expectations for modeling.  It's not for everyone.

Jan 01 15 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

LaurenElyse  wrote:
(Please, no redundant comments about having more pix or a better port. Again, all my pix aren't on this site, but I have more available to show agencies.)

By all means get more pix on this site if you expect to spend much time here.

I would love to give you my thoughts if you post in the Critique forum.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/thread/8

Jan 01 15 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Cherrystone wrote:

errrrr - you're trolling.

OP, it won't matter at all. Do as you wish in regards to tats.

+1

Jan 01 15 04:54 pm Link