Forums > Model Colloquy > This was the last time I went to the nail salon

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

It seems the chemicals are getting more harsh and now implements such as cheese graters are being used on my feet?
*Snort* I think not.

I was unlucky enough to get a stab wound or bleeding cuticles I'm the salon, just before the foot gig, or stepping into sand or salt water, of course. *flail*

/first world problem rant end.

Jan 07 15 01:20 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I have never been to nail salon before.

Seems like a waste of money to me.

My best female friend got a gift certificate last Christmas for a "mani pedi." She'd never had her nails done either, and thought it was the most awesome thing ever.

Shortly afterward she developed toenail fungus, and has never set foot in a nail place again.

Jan 07 15 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

JosephZahnlePhotography

Caldwell, Idaho, US

Everybody has a bad day every now and then.

Amadea, I hope your day is getting better and that you have a great New Year.

Jan 07 15 02:19 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A mani pedi by a skilled professional in a clean and quality salon is worth it.

Anything else obviously sucks.

Jan 07 15 09:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Amadea there are compelling reasons why Nail Techs are licensed by nearly every state in the US...

In Ohio it is the State Board of Cosmetology...

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi got this right...

Having an emotional catharsis on an Internet Forum does little to address the real issue here other than being self serving to vent anger... why not rise to a higher level and file a complaint with the Ohio Board of Cosmetology on the Salon in question... It is about professionalism and taking the higher road...

Ranting makes the industry look bad and you look even worse... i.e. petty etc...

Working in retail one learns quickly to breath deeply and reflect carefully before responding to an emotionally charged situation...

It is the mark of a professional to NEVER openly criticize colleagues in one's industry... Yes nail tech can/do add worth and value to many, beauty & fashion narratives... I'm humbled at their skill set and sadden at their working conditions...  however those who cut and color hair work with equally harsh chemical agents...  and are exposed (and expose their clientele) to the same potential pathogens... So they to are required to license with the State Board of Cosmetology...

All the best on your journey Amadea

Jan 08 15 07:50 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

"Tammy" isn't exactly a colleague of mine.

There would be a whole ton to report. smile all across the land. If only I were a whiny little bitch This happened to the first time... Unfortunately this has happened repeatedly. Cost me money. And then cost me money.

Jan 08 15 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

There are good nail salons and there are bad nail salons.  When my wife doesn't like a nail salon she goes to another one.

Jan 08 15 11:14 am Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I LOVE getting my nails done. I usually get full set (with acrylic tips). I chew my nails so the added tips are needed so I don't look crazy. Pedi's are relaxing but I only get them maybe once every few months. I usually don't have the time to get my feet done with my nails.

Jan 08 15 11:15 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

if you go to one of those mega-salons, you're asking for it...and how. if you go to a fully licensed person, you'll get a good job. i never understand how educated women don't have enough sense to figure this out. plus, a manicurist will give you a solid price, and spare you all the upsale bs.

these same women think they're saving a couple bucks, when they end up paying more for the services at these bacterial cesspools they go to.

i know, because my ex is one (licensed, clean, reputable), and she has enough horror stories to turn your stomach.

Jan 08 15 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I just do most of it on my own and then pay for a manicure but only get the polish put on, cause I CAN NOT get polish to go on right with my shaking hands

Jan 08 15 07:32 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I'm content with a $15 haircut every three months.

Jan 08 15 08:28 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I have had both good and not so good mani/pedis.

However, after having sat through a not so good, (with modified requests by me to diminish the bad, 'no thank you, no metal please,') I've also learned to respectfully decline mid service when I realize that it isn't going to be safe or that the tech is either not having a good day or is not skilled.

Sorry about your experience and that you were not aware that you are in control of your body in a mani pedi just as you are in control of what is done to your hair in hair salon and in your body when in any other service.

Hopefully you are okay.
Jen

Jan 09 15 03:36 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I saw an episode of Simmons Family Jewels where the sister of the now wife had her toe broken in several places at a nail salon. Gene Simmons bought the establishment and fired everyone.

I personally have never had a bad experience getting a pedicure, I don't get manicures. I use the "cheese grater" at home. Hell, I would have gone for the dead skin eating fish if it were still legal.

Jan 09 15 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Isis22 wrote:
I saw an episode of Simmons Family Jewels where the sister of the now wife had her toe broken in several places at a nail salon. Gene Simmons bought the establishment and fired everyone.

I personally have never had a bad experience getting a pedicure, I don't get manicures. I use the "cheese grater" at home. Hell, I would have gone for the dead skin eating fish if it were still legal.

That's the way to do it!   big_smile

Jan 09 15 01:45 pm Link