Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > brian williams...is he toast?

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

what say you? should he be?

i think he is done, and it's just a matter of how to let him go out gracefully; or as gracefully as he can. it sucks, but that was a total bonehead move on his part. and i certainly hope this doesn't fall within the so-called soapbox umbrella. it's really more entertainment oriented, than political.

more than anything, i'll miss the rap mashups they made with him. they were pretty funny.

Feb 05 15 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

I just saw he is/was a news anchor
what is the relevance of new anchor in the instant new world ?
Pundit ? all show
analyst ? I can see why even If I read quicker then they talk,
bur new anchor ?

Feb 05 15 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Totally toast and a liar to boot!

Feb 05 15 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

This comes at a time not much after the editor of major newspaper says he planted stories for CIA and is one of the reasons I rarely trust modern news organizations to tell the REAL story.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/worl … z3QuZJTKqi

I'd love to discuss more, but it would end up being soapboxy type of stuff which isn't permitted,

Feb 05 15 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

GPS Studio Services wrote:
Totally toast and a liar to boot!

Yep!  The most egregious part of it was that the guys that are getting pounded every day out there and knew it was a lie were silenced in some way for all these years.

Feb 05 15 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

*shrug

Just another pretty face and news-reader. He is also an egomaniac who feels compelled to embellish his importance as a celebrity beyond the truth. Lots of celebrities suffer from inflated egos and a psychology of self-importance that goes beyond what they actually do for a living. His job is to read the scripts that are handed to him.

Spinning yarns like this pretty much pulls the rug out from under his credibility as a journalist. In the community of real journalists, he is now a snicker. He has lowered himself from "journalist" to bloviator. NBC should give him the hook now to try to preserve their own image of integrity.

Kudos to the real journalists at Stars & Stripes who dug out the truth. We need more unabashed journalists who do honest research and reporting, and less pseudo-journalists who's specialty is facial expressions, makeup, and reading teleprompters.

Feb 05 15 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Weird. I'll admit that I hadn't heard about this kerfuffle, which, considering the source, is really bizarre. I don't watch any corporate news so I'm only familiar with Brian because of his Daily Show appearances and similar humor-related contexts (like the Tonight Show rapping collages). We'll see how this goes, but it sure sounds like his credibility took a major hit here.

Feb 05 15 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

CNP Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Not terribly surprising. He is a reporter after all. It has been noted before but bears repeating: religious leaders, government leaders, lawyers and reporters are people whose job it is to lie to us.

Feb 05 15 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

It really depends on how many sycophants he has (I'm willing to bet he has many).

Lots of our most public people have told whoppers and gotten away with it. Some have been accused of lying, turns out they did not lie, but the public believes in the original lie.

Does it matter if he tells the truth or not? For most, I believe, it will not matter.

They will eagerly accept his excuses.

Then again, maybe he did not lie, but everybody just misheard. lol

Feb 05 15 02:54 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Feb 05 15 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

What did he say exactly?

He said, "Our convoy got hit and we took fire?" instead of "One of the helicopters in our convoy got hit and they took fire?"

Is that basically the whole deal?

Feb 05 15 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Post hidden on Feb 05, 2015 03:15 pm
Reason: other
Comments:
soapbox is dead
do not go there again

Feb 05 15 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Post hidden on Feb 05, 2015 03:16 pm
Reason: other
Comments:
quotes hidden post

Feb 05 15 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Brian told his story multiple times. It will be hard to parse as something it's not.

Feb 05 15 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

P O T T S

Lake City, Florida, US

Kind of hard to forget whether it was your helicopter or someone else's that got hit by an RPG. He's toast.

Feb 05 15 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
What did he say exactly?

He said, "Our convoy got hit and we took fire?" instead of "One of the helicopters in our convoy got hit and they took fire?"

Is that basically the whole deal?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/col … /22915325/

the story kept swelling into a major "fish" tale. it wasn't his original report that was the problem. someone inside of 30 rock should have told him to cool it years ago.

Feb 05 15 03:11 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Alas, they cannot all be a Cronkite, some would Rather make stuff up.

Feb 05 15 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

ernst tischler wrote:
Alas, they cannot all be a Cronkite, some would Rather make stuff up.

cue the trombones.

whaa, whaaa, whaaaaaa

Feb 05 15 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

They kept Nancy Snyderman.  They will keep him.  Hard to forget whether you got hit by an RPG but kind of hard to forget about Ebola as well.

Feb 05 15 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Rik Austin wrote:
They kept Nancy Snyderman.  They will keep him.  Hard to forget whether you got hit by an RPG but kind of hard to forget about Ebola a well.

maybe he'll take an extended vacation. the caribbean is really nice this time of year. or vail, if he does the skiing thing.

Feb 05 15 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

GK photo wrote:
maybe he'll take an extended vacation. the caribbean is really nice this time of year. or vail, if he does the skiing thing.

She was gone about a month wasn't she?

It's a shame though I like them both.  Just proved they are human.  Now they have to do like the rest of us and live and learn.  Life goes on.

Feb 05 15 03:55 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

My neighbor has been saying for years that all the major national news are just "another reality show"...the he follows with the statement, "and we know how true, honest and real life reality shows are."

Feb 05 15 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

ernst tischler wrote:
My neighbor has been saying for years that all the major national news are just "another reality show"...the he follows with the statement, "and we know how true, honest and real life reality shows are."

Correct

It isn't journalism anymore, and it has not been for quite some time.

They are for-profit ventures, not the old way of acting in the public interest.

It is all about ratings and money, not about the news.

As for the original question, I don't think it will be a big deal, I'd be surprised if they even ask him to take time off because of it.

Feb 05 15 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Toast. And deservedly so. Network news is hard pressed to maintain any credibility, having the anchor caught in a bald face lie will force them to get him off air.

You wont "conflate" the memories of being forced down by enemy fire, and a safe flight. Period. Trust me.

Feb 05 15 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I just read through the transcript of the press conference and he kept using the word "mistake" a lot. Funny how these idiot journalists tend to confuse the word "lie" with "mistake".

Feb 05 15 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Shot By Adam wrote:
I just read through the transcript of the press conference and he kept using the word "mistake" a lot. Funny how these idiot journalists tend to confuse the word "lie" with "mistake".

smile

So very true!

Feb 05 15 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Mission Accomplished

Feb 05 15 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
Mission Accomplished

That one made sense if you know who put that up any why.

But you're right, the media (like Williams' NBC) did turn that one into something that it wasn't and did so for political reasons.
That sort of thing is so common with the so-called MSM that they're not very trusted these days... which is why it's fun to watch them squirm when they get busted publicly like Williams and his "chopper whopper".

Feb 05 15 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Feb 05 15 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
.... like Williams and his "chopper whopper".

LOL. This one is going to stick.

Feb 05 15 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

The idea that news anchors or journalists or the media is trustworthy is a relatively new one. Brian Williams has had his credibility reduced, but I doubt that it finishes him.

Feb 05 15 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
.... like Williams and his "chopper whopper".

Click Hamilton wrote:
LOL. This one is going to stick.

i prefer "chinook wind-bag", only because i just thought of it. tongue

Feb 05 15 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

DougBPhoto wrote:
It isn't journalism anymore, and it has not been for quite some time.

Never was. The idea that journalists reported "the truth" and that we could trust them to report truthfully and accurately are relatively new ideas. And they weren't really true even when we thought they were. We just didn't have the resources to check on them. The idea of impartial journalists reporting the news is myth.

Feb 05 15 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Marco R

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Post hidden on Feb 05, 2015 09:09 pm
Reason: not helpful
Comments:
Let's stay away from the Soap Box

Feb 05 15 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Al Lock Photography wrote:

Never was. The idea that journalists reported "the truth" and that we could trust them to report truthfully and accurately are relatively new ideas. And they weren't really true even when we thought they were. We just didn't have the resources to check on them. The idea of impartial journalists reporting the news is myth.

In the 60's and 70's Walter Cronkite was voted "The most trusted Man in America".

...you mean he was lying?   O.M.G. I'm devastated.

Uncle Walter?

Feb 05 15 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Not the first time that a guy was in an excitable situation and let his ego and machismo translate it, one telling to the next, into something much grander and more impressive. Not the first time by, oh, a few billion times. Bet it won't be the last, either.

Feb 05 15 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

rfordphotos wrote:

In the 60's and 70's Walter Cronkite was voted "The most trusted Man in America".

...you mean he was lying?   O.M.G. I'm devastated.

Uncle Walter?

Cronkite's nightly reporting of the siege of Khe Sahn demonstrated the same biases and failure to report accurately that most journalists have been infected by. Just because the American people trusted him doesn't mean they should have.

Feb 05 15 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Marco R

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Just got my post removed by saying that he will be fine and posting a link to similar situation were a high profile personality did the same and got away. The media just let it go. Lied to be under fire when it was not true.

Feb 05 15 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Justin wrote:
Not the first time that a guy was in an excitable situation and let his ego and machismo translate it, one telling to the next, into something much grander and more impressive. Not the first time by, oh, a few billion times. Bet it won't be the last, either.

yeah, like i said earlier: a fish story that got played out on national tv.

Feb 05 15 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

GK photo wrote:
what say you? should he be?

i think he is done, and it's just a matter of how to let him go out gracefully; or as gracefully as he can. it sucks, but that was a total bonehead move on his part. and i certainly hope this doesn't fall within the so-called soapbox umbrella. it's really more entertainment oriented, than political.

more than anything, i'll miss the rap mashups they made with him. they were pretty funny.

I would hope he's not toast over making a mistake. He's human and subject to making errors. Maybe he got wrong information. Maybe he was told to say this by someone. I just saw a video where he apologized and it sounded sincere to me.  I realize the news and sports news are not quite the same thing, but on the ESPN show PTI, they actually have a segment where they find out "where they screwed up". It happens. I say let it go.

Feb 06 15 01:34 am Link