Forums > Photography Talk > Canon poking fun at Nikon.

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Size does matter, at least to their advertising department.

http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-big-nik … -suggests/

Time for retaliation Nikon.

Feb 12 15 07:59 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

The thing about fun is that it is fun!  Touche' Canon.

Feb 12 15 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Jamez

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Perhaps Nikon could retaliate with something to do with low light or some statistic about "it's not how big, but how it's used" or whatever

How about D4 branded nightgoggles?

Feb 12 15 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Canon is "claiming" 1 - 1 1/2 stops better low light performance than the 1DS (or X) but they aren't even suggesting better low light performance than any of Nikon's offerings.

I for one am yet to be convinced that the new sensor is going to deliver on IQ.  Most of their "sample pics" are good, no question, but they are not really better than what I've seen from other high end DSLR's of various makes, and I haven't seen one that displays high ISO/Low Light excellence.

Feb 12 15 10:19 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Jamez wrote:
Perhaps Nikon could retaliate with something to do with low light or some statistic about "it's not how big, but how it's used" or whatever

How about D4 branded nightgoggles?

lol smile

Maybe a really wide oblong-shaped cup from Nikon with a "Yeah, but we have more dynamic range!" with a Zone System scale of 9 gray steps shown verses the Canon cup with only 3 zones?  Their oblong cup should hold more ounces too than the Canon too for the girth (ahem!) argument.

They could take this a number of ways, but could be entertaining - with just a hint of reality.

Actually, it would be funny if Nikon came out with a 60 MP on the day the Canon 50 MP showed up in stores and a "SURPRISE!  I AM MUCH BIGGER NOW" cup.  Call it a "D810+some"

Funny how Canon took a cheap shot though with the  "I AM small" campaign.  Hopefully Nikon doesn't go nutty and file some suit based on their trademark "I AM" ad thing and just counter with something better for us.

Feb 12 15 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." by I don't know who.

Feb 12 15 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

This marketing campaign would be a lot more successful if you could actually buy the camera. Right now, the 5D is just vaporware.

It's really easy to talk about how awesome something is when you don't have to prove it. Have you guys read my novel? It's the best thing anybody has ever written at a Starbucks. Of course it's not published yet, or even finished. But when it is, it'll be the best thing ever!

Feb 12 15 10:46 am Link

Photographer

CNP Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Marcio Faustino wrote:
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." by I don't know who.

E. F. Schumacher

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote … 48840.html

Feb 12 15 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
This marketing campaign would be a lot more successful if you could actually buy the camera. Right now, the 5D is just vaporware.

It's really easy to talk about how awesome something is when you don't have to prove it. Have you guys read my novel? It's the best thing anybody has ever written at a Starbucks. Of course it's not published yet, or even finished. But when it is, it'll be the best thing ever!

A dose of reality for the Canonistas!

The Canon advertising dept would do good to read this post.

Feb 12 15 11:24 am Link

Photographer

David Shinobi

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Relax everyone, its just a coffee cup.

Feb 12 15 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

David Shinobi  wrote:

Everybody seems to me to be very relaxed and enjoying poking fun at Canon poking fun at Nikon.

You got a burr under your saddle?

Feb 12 15 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Why does anyone care at all?

Feb 12 15 11:54 am Link

Photographer

David M Russell

New York, New York, US

The EOS 5Ds logo should be out of focus. That would tend to be more Canon's style.

I guess it's supposed to be all in fun, but when you've lagged behind for a couple years in resolution (and for much longer in focus capability), pointing out that you've temporarily taken the lead again doesn't seem like much of a sales pitch.

-D

Feb 12 15 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

smile

Finally, Canon has made something bigger and better than Nikon!

....a coffee mug.

Zack Zoll wrote:

There is no question in my mind that WHEN they are finally (smile) in the hands of photographers these Canon cameras will be wonderful. 50megapixels is new territory for a 35mm FF sized sensor- I cant wait to see what folks do with it.

Someone said we are in the Golden age of digital cameras... I think most folks think we are getting awfully close to the max number of pixels we need, but the sensors are also getting better and better in things like color fidelity, iso speed, dynamic range etc etc. These are (will be smile ) fabulous tools.

Edited to add: ...POS MM forum software---inserting a line return everytime I use a smiley....

Feb 12 15 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

How fun. 

After 3 years of Nikon being 50% ahead in the MP race, Canon announces a camera that puts them ahead, and they think it's a big deal (now).  But it's not available until this summer.  If you ask me, I think Canon showed their hand a little too early, unless it was because leaks were escaping.

I'll be interested to see the DR and the noise handling.  Later this summer.  When someone can actually purchase a production camera and do a decent review.

Meanwhile, I'll sit happily with a D800 and a D810 taking pictures for the last 3 years.

Feb 12 15 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

rfordphotos wrote:
Someone said we are in the Golden age of digital cameras... I think most folks think we are getting awfully close to the max number of pixels we need, but the sensors are also getting better and better in things like color fidelity, iso speed, dynamic range etc etc. These are (will be smile ) fabulous tools.

That person doesn't understand what a "Golden Age" is then.  I'm splitting hairs here, but the Golden Age is generally referred to a first age of something.  I'd posit that the Golden Age of digital cameras ended with the D1x.  Right around the year 2000.  I think this is when digital cameras stopped being an interesting gadget and started becoming a real tool in the industry.  And the consumer digital cameras started becoming affordable for anyone to purchase.

After that, a new battle started.  The MP battle.  Let's call that the Silver Age.  Manufactures shoving more and more pixels onto a tiny chip at any cost of image quality.

Next, the Bronze Age.  Making better and better cameras smaller and smaller on cell phones and anything else.

Right now, I think we're in the Heroic Age.  This might be the best time.  The cheapest consumer digital cameras are better than the professional cameras just 10 years ago.  The dynamic range of sensors is about equal that of film. (and far superior with RED and Arri cameras).   The resolution is arguably better than film.  The low light sensitivity is miles better than the fastest films ever created.  We are no longer concerned about 12MP or 18MP for large printing.  We have few things left to really differentiate between why one camera is "better" than another.

The only thing left is the Iron Age, which is an inevitable decline.  This is likely fast approaching.  Mirrorless will take over.  Point&Shoot is almost dead already.  The vast majority of consumers don't care about image quality anymore.  An instagram filter will fix it, or wreck it.

So enjoy this "golden" (Heroic) age of digital cameras.  We've never had so much professional (beyond "professional") level equipment available to us for such an affordable price.  But just like when only the wealthy early adopters once had digital cameras, soon our phones will be shooting 30-50MP images in RAW and have on-board converters with full control and everyone can product professional looking work with a new Instagram filter.

Snatch up those Polaroid and Fuji Instafilm cameras while you can!  It'll be the new old new.

Feb 12 15 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Nakrani Studios

Apex, North Carolina, US

I think Canon needs to re-think their marketing..... Like I AM A SONY hiding inside a Canon...... or 5Ds..... 3 years late....etc.

Feb 12 15 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Reading some of these posts reminds me why I don't frequent this place often any more.

Feb 12 15 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Nakrani Studios wrote:
I think Canon needs to re-think their marketing..... Like I AM A SONY hiding inside a Canon...... or 5Ds..... 3 years late....etc.

Canon made their sensor!

Feb 12 15 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I will be more amused if Canon would come out with their MF offering...

https://a1-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/123/5357859acc1b4849991bf7d63292c817/full.jpg

Feb 12 15 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

I think people focus on gear too much. tongue

Feb 12 15 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Canon and Nikon haven't been rivals for years.

Feb 12 15 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

David Shinobi  wrote:

And a cigar is always a cigar.

Feb 12 15 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Post hidden on Feb 13, 2015 01:40 pm
Reason: other
Comments:
No links to websites with adult content.

Feb 12 15 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

DBIphotography Toronto wrote:
(D3X) There's been a shift in the manufacturers of Dee SLR cameras, and they're now targeting the hobbyist who works during the week in another field then enjoys his camera in his/her off-time. I wouldn't be surprised to hear them admit they fuel fanboi-ism like this cup-photo, because it drives sales by instigating debate and discussion merely from the provocation. Look at threads like this, and hundreds before it! Real photographers may have a preference in what works best for the way they shoot the things they shoot in the environments they shoot them in, but a camera is a camera is a camera.

I thought this shift targgeting hobbistst had place since the beggining of MP war that I supposed Canon have started back in 2000 something I guess.

Feb 13 15 01:09 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/mug1.jpg

Yeah, it is fun. But it does get to a bigger truth (which humor often does), these things are important to Japanese companies, corporate pride is a powerful motivator for them.

Based on that, these cups also probably suggest that contrary to all the many rumors on this forum, Canon will not be licensing this chip to Nikon and Sony anytime soon. smile

John
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 633
Miami Beach, Florida 330139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Feb 13 15 06:15 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

John Fisher wrote:
https://www.johnfisher.com/images/mug1.jpg

Yeah, it is fun. But it does get to a bigger truth (which humor often does), these things are important to Japanese companies, corporate pride is a powerful motivator for them.

Based on that, these cups also probably suggest that contrary to all the many rumors on this forum, Canon will not be licensing this chip to Nikon and Sony anytime soon. smile

John
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 633
Miami Beach, Florida 330139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Nikon won't likely be asking Canon. Seems like they already have a working relationship with Sony that resulted in the current excellent sensor used in the D8xx series.  I believe that Nikon-Sony will be poking back at Canon and possibly, as one poster has suggested, just as Canon releases the 5DS. Their game of one-puma ship is highly entertaining.

http://camyx.com/rumors/2014/09/sony-54 … arly-2015/

Feb 13 15 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Marcio Faustino wrote:
I thought this shift targgeting hobbistst had place since the beggining of MP war that I supposed Canon have started back in 2000 something I guess.

You're likely quite correct; I've only been taking pictures then operating as a photographer since 2010 hmm

Feb 13 15 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

https://www.canonwatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/mug1.jpg

I wonder if Canon is trying to compensate for other manly issues?

Feb 14 15 06:57 am Link

Photographer

testingphotography

Seattle, Washington, US

Real question is "Does anyone need 50 mp on a 35 mm sensor?"
Other than chew up disk space what is gained from 36 to 50 mp? At that resolution you will need outstanding glass, tripod and mirror locked up to come close to effective utilization of the sensor, just like the D800-810 requires now.  A lot of people will buy this to get the "best" and then be disappointed because their technique yields worse results than they got at 16 mp.

Feb 16 15 01:07 pm Link