Forums > Model Colloquy > How do I do this?

Model

Julia A Campbell

DEFUNIAK SPRINGS, Florida, US

How do I become a successful model with little no start up money?

Feb 18 15 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

1) I would say location is the most important thing for a model to have. If you aren't living in a city that has top agencies you will have a VERY hard time trying to become a model etc.

2) Practice makes perfect (or close to it) You have 2 expressions all through out your portfolio you need to practice your expressions and poses in the mirror every chance you get. Check out http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/fashion-editorial/ photos of models and try to mimic their poses/expressions

3) Finding great photographers to work with. Now this is a catch 22 because good photographers don't work with models that don't have a good portfolio or if they don't see potential and right now your portfolio doesn't show much of either.

4) Email a few agencies you've researched with your "polaroids" that means 4 snap shots of yourself. One close portrait shot, one half length shot, one full body and one profile half length shot.

All these things take time and sometimes in never fully comes together so don't put all your eggs in one basket!

Good luck! smile

Feb 18 15 04:44 am Link

Photographer

ValHig

London, England, United Kingdom

It might be helpful to post in critique for personal feedback.

Otherwise, test a lot with great photographers to get a good portfolio together, network your ass off (online and off), and maybe relax your attitude towards lingerie and nudes. Models who shoot to higher levels have far more options than not, and very few models make good money from online modelling without shooting nudes.

As already mentioned, it's hard to get consistent, high quality work if you're not in a major city. But it really depends on what your definition of 'successful' is - do you want a good supplementary income, do you want to be a full-time model, do you want to be the next face of a brand? The latter is only 0.5% of models, if that. Full time models are also few and far between, despite what people claim on here to get more bookings and improve their reputation.

If you want to be a full-time online model, you need to figure out your niche. All the full time models I know are excellent art nude models and that's their trade - they occasionally do lingerie or commercial shoots, but that's their bread and butter. That may be different in the US though.

Feb 18 15 04:58 am Link

Photographer

A K - Fine Art Images

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Work with a greater variety of photographers. Try a variety of poses in your portfolio, not just sitting or standing and looking at the camera. Look to other models' portfolios for inspiration in posing. Lack of money should not be a problem. If you are going to be in demand as a model it will be because of how you look, not because of how much money you have.

Feb 18 15 05:40 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Julia A Campbell wrote:

Julia, first and foremost what is your connotation of "Successful"?  Many talent begin their journey seeking agency representation... Which btw, validates their moniker of "Model"... So oft in our culture the term "Model" can be construed as a shallow non-professional role that might be used to convey status in social circles...

That said, the industry take on this is yes, being signed likely means you've been vetted and selected through a diligent winnowing process thus carries credibility in the eyes of others within the industry, albeit may or may not be understood by the naive multitudes with limited insight into our industry...

As mentioned above LOCATION is to be cherished... Defuniak Springs, Florida is not considered a mecca of the fashion industry... nor is Pensacola, Mobile or Tallahassee... In order to be signed by a major player you'd be wise to relocate.... Miami is your closest option in major markets... 

While we're not allowed to critique in this industry forum I will say a talent at 6 feet height might be considered for runway albeit dress size 4 might not work...  By in large most of the signed talent I've worked with entered the industry before they were 16, my long time associate who my clients requested most frequently was signed in the NYC market at age 12... and this list goes on... at 21 a model is likely beginning their transition out of the industry... competing with 15 and 16 year old talent subtlety brings this reality home...

But all the above is biased toward agency representation as a metric for Success...  I'm absolutely certain the hobbyist on Mayhem will share with a much broader brush... enough said...

All the best on your journey...

Feb 18 15 08:05 am Link

Model

Melissa Kat

Orlando, Florida, US

Julia A Campbell wrote:

Get signed by an agent. If you are worth it, they will develop your portfolio with their photographers and through the work you book.

Feb 18 15 11:24 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Go nekki.
wink)

Jk.

Feb 19 15 02:45 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Julia A Campbell wrote:

As others have stated it depends in part on how you define success. If for you it just means seeing your picture a bunch of places, then get photographed. If however it means making a living at modeling then I offer you three simple words: find paying work. This may seem condescending but it's not meant that way. I'm not going to provide an unsolicited critique of your port but I will say that you're not in a major market which means that without moving the chances of finding a legitimate agency (i.e. one that isn't going to charge you) are slim. This doesn't mean that you won't be able get jobs but it does mean that you're going to have to seek them out and in some instances create them by reaching out to local businesses etc. and offering your modeling services. In setting yourself up as a brand you have a better chance of making yourself seem worth the investment of a company. This isn't likely to be easy but it may generate some success for you.

Feb 21 15 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

You have the height, the looks, and stats are close.  Find a reputable agency.  Realize it is very hard work and tremendous competition..

Feb 21 15 12:25 pm Link

Model

Julia A Campbell

Rik Austin wrote:
You have the height, the looks, and stats are close.  Find a reputable agency.  Realize it is very hard work and tremendous competition..

Thank you! smile

Mar 11 15 09:09 pm Link

Model

Julia A Campbell

Tiffany_B wrote:

As others have stated it depends in part on how you define success. If for you it just means seeing your picture a bunch of places, then get photographed. If however it means making a living at modeling then I offer you three simple words: find paying work. This may seem condescending but it's not meant that way. I'm not going to provide an unsolicited critique of your port but I will say that you're not in a major market which means that without moving the chances of finding a legitimate agency (i.e. one that isn't going to charge you) are slim. This doesn't mean that you won't be able get jobs but it does mean that you're going to have to seek them out and in some instances create them by reaching out to local businesses etc. and offering your modeling services. In setting yourself up as a brand you have a better chance of making yourself seem worth the investment of a company. This isn't likely to be easy but it may generate some success for you.

Thank you, I'll take it into consideration!

Mar 11 15 09:10 pm Link

Model

Julia A Campbell

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:

Julia, first and foremost what is your connotation of "Successful"?  Many talent begin their journey seeking agency representation... Which btw, validates their moniker of "Model"... So oft in our culture the term "Model" can be construed as a shallow non-professional role that might be used to convey status in social circles...

That said, the industry take on this is yes, being signed likely means you've been vetted and selected through a diligent winnowing process thus carries credibility in the eyes of others within the industry, albeit may or may not be understood by the naive multitudes with limited insight into our industry...

As mentioned above LOCATION is to be cherished... Defuniak Springs, Florida is not considered a mecca of the fashion industry... nor is Pensacola, Mobile or Tallahassee... In order to be signed by a major player you'd be wise to relocate.... Miami is your closest option in major markets... 

While we're not allowed to critique in this industry forum I will say a talent at 6 feet height might be considered for runway albeit dress size 4 might not work...  By in large most of the signed talent I've worked with entered the industry before they were 16, my long time associate who my clients requested most frequently was signed in the NYC market at age 12... and this list goes on... at 21 a model is likely beginning their transition out of the industry... competing with 15 and 16 year old talent subtlety brings this reality home...

But all the above is biased toward agency representation as a metric for Success...  I'm absolutely certain the hobbyist on Mayhem will share with a much broader brush... enough said...

All the best on your journey...

Thank you! smile

Mar 11 15 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1covertexts.jpg
The model on the left came to Miami and not a single fashion agency showed any interest.
She was able to put together a few editorial tear sheets, and those same agencies had contracts out for her to sign.

Yeah, it's tough. At first glace since you are in Florida, it is easy to say come to Miami. But you are actually closer to Houston, Texas than Miami (and a lot closer to Atlanta!), In some respects, Florida can be an extremely big state. But in any event, that's what you have to do. Unfortunately season is ending here and no one is taking new faces, but because of your height you will at least get some input as to your potential future.

At twenty one, your options are limited. If you can put a decent portfolio together and even get a few catalog jobs, you will be a more attractive candidate. At twenty one it's going to be tough to get the agencies to look at you as a new face. Here is what you will hear; "You need a more developed book". Models hear that and think they need better pictures, and that is somewhat true. But what it really means is "if I send you on castings, you will be standing in line with other twenty something models, and their books will be full of tear sheets accumulated over the last five years." What you need is tear sheets (published work), you have to show potential clients that you are fully prepared to work and deliver a usable product on demand. That's what twenty something models are supposed to do. If you are sixteen, you get cut a break, but not when you are older.

Can you walk? If so, the Miami Swim Week is coming (in July) and with your height (and you apparently have the appropriate figure), you would have a chance to get picked up by an agency who is booking models for the better clients during Swim Week. I guess now a better option is to put together a war chest and get to New York and see if you can find a photographer (or two) who can get you an interview with some of the better fashion agencies in the City. This is a tough business, you sort of have to be willing to jump out of the plane before you know for sure whether the parachute will work. But if you want to do it, these are the options if you want a serious career.

This probably sounds harsh, and I don't mean it to be. I actually like your look (although a current picture featuring your legs would be nice to have). Get rid of the pictures from when you were fifteen, they are nice but distracting to any serious person looking at your portfolio.

John
--
John Fisher
700 Euclid Avenue, Suite 110
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Mar 12 15 08:52 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Amadea T wrote:
Go nekki.
wink)

Jk.

Probably not the answer she wants to hear, but probably the one with the greatest chance of working, and working quickly.

Mar 12 15 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

Julia A Campbell wrote:

Most model will need money for their expenses...
Such as traveling, living expense etc...

But if your starting out...
Rich or poor...
The bottom line, a strong look is priority...
Trying to buy your way in does not work..
So you not spending money is good..
But it comes down what the agencies will say..
They have to like your look and sign you if that is the route you want to go..

Also don't expect to live off money you hope to make off modeling..
You may start off with small jobs or it could take months to get paid...

Before you or any girl wants to become a professional and successful model.
You need to ask the professionals, agencies, agents, other pro models if you have what it takes..
To see first if its worth your time......

Your also six feet tall... That could work against you...
Being too tall, even one inch is just as bad as being too short..
i know what many are thinking, tall models are good in fashion...
Yes, but not too tall.. the outfits have to be able to fit the model just right..
Many companies book on look and size and (height) and are very specific..

Find out first what your chances are before you make any commitment..

Mar 29 15 04:53 am Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

Julia A Campbell wrote:

Be in the right place at the right time with the right look...

Mar 29 15 04:08 pm Link