Forums > Photography Talk > Giving up my studio

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Seriously thinking of giving up my studio the end of this month.
A few months back I moved to this great big loft. Where my home is now an hour away from my studio, so I'm not getting there much any more. Also my loft is much closer to Los Angeles than my studio was in Orange County, so travel for models and team greatly improves.

I'm thinking most of what I do in studio, I can easily do in my loft (high ceilings - tons of space, hardwood floors) and be right at home - I did this successfully in Chicago lofts where I lived, before actually leasing studio space away from my home. This isn't a situation where I'm shooting in an apartment, the loft is basically the size and layout of a studio, but with a little living room group on one side.

I also think that not being so trapped in the comfort of a studio, with a chair to sit in, etc will elevate my work - it was getting a little predictable and this will force me to do location where a location would benefit the image and still give me a studio where a studio would benefit the image.

Feb 18 15 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

In a way, it's like having a gym membership. The closer it is (less hassle) the more you use it. Having a studio space where you live is the best way to shoot what you want when you want. Besides, when the model leaves you can just grab a beer and watch some Netflix!!:-))

Feb 18 15 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

365 Digitals Exposed

Perris, California, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150218/21/54e571cc60cf5.jpg
I do most of my shoots at work, but I still have my little studio at home to mess around,  you will enjoy it for sure.

Feb 18 15 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

L A F

Davenport, Iowa, US

I've been browsing live, work, play spaces in Chicago.  I currently work from home (retouch photos) but shoot in a studio two blocks away from where I live.  It works out fine, rent at my studio is cheap, but if I were able to shoot in my loft apartment I would.  (sadly, it's not zoned commercial at all and profiting off the space is forbidden in my contract)

If I could find a live, work, play loft in my area, I'd go for it instantly.  I already don't have much separation between my personal life and work, so I'd love to save rent and hassle by only renting one space.

Feb 19 15 06:41 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Sounds like a win win to me.  I shoot out of my apartment and I love it.  No driving anywhere for studio shoots, bathroom/kitchen/sofa/TV if the shoot calls for any of it.  I'm a chick so if I want any of the models to barrow any of my clothes they're right there.  I also live above a pizza place so models love going to get a slice after we shoot.  I just wish I had more space is all and since I live with my boyfriend and roommate it can be a little inconvenient for them.  But my cats are there and the models love them and I get to pet them while I shoot and that's the most important thing.

Feb 19 15 06:47 am Link

Photographer

L A F

Davenport, Iowa, US

Laura Bello wrote:
Sounds like a win win to me.  I shoot out of my apartment and I love it.  No driving anywhere for studio shoots, bathroom/kitchen/sofa/TV if the shoot calls for any of it.  I'm a chick so if I want any of the models to barrow any of my clothes they're right there.  I also live above a pizza place so models love going to get a slice after we shoot.  I just wish I had more space is all and since I live with my boyfriend and roommate it can be a little inconvenient for them.  But my cats are there and the models love them and I get to pet them while I shoot and that's the most important thing.

Yes!  Having my entire wardrobe right there is a huge perk.  I'm not much bigger than most of the girls I shoot, so most of my wardrobe works, and what doesn't, pins fix. That and I have a walk in closet that's organized by style and event so it's pretty easy to pull looks.

Feb 19 15 06:50 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Is there anything you can do in the studio you can't do in your home ?  Does that comprise a good percentage of your work as loosing the ability would cost you business ? Is it enough to justify the cost of the studio ?  Will the added distance cost you work as the client doesn't want to travel that far or there or other photographers closer that can do the job ?

Are you just tired of having to go to the studio and want to cut out your travel to work time ?

Feb 19 15 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Except for the tall ceilings, which I wish I had, shooting in my home is much better for me than renting studio space somewhere, Every prop is readily available, I know where all the wardrobe is, jewelry and accessories too.
Different light sets for different rooms and food and drink available at all times.

I'm just a hobby shooter but it works for me. I'm sure the OP will make it work for him.

Feb 19 15 07:06 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Laura Bello wrote:

Yep - this is what I'm thinking, when I started leasing the studio years ago, I lived in a carpeted apartment on the canyon in Orange County and there would have just been no way to shoot at home. Now, with the loft up by LA, I have virtually as much room to shoot as the studio. There is really nothing I could do in the studio that I can't do in the loft, except I don't have a sweep any more, But most of what I do doesn't require it anyway.

@LAF - Chicago is absolutely full of great lofts - that's one of the things I missed about Chicago for so long - it's great to be in a big loft again.

Feb 19 15 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Sounds very positive to me. I only used a studio location for 4 yrs, out of a 37 yr pro career.  I had a small studio in the garage for when I needed it, but I did so much location work, it didn't make sense to have a commercial studio location, after a point in time.

Feb 19 15 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I had a house and a studio.
Spent more time in the studio.
12 years ago, I added a second floor and built living quarters over the studio.
Got rid of my house and moved into the studio.

Never been happier !
I live upstairs and work downstairs.

Wish I made the move 25 years earlier.

I'm a photographer . . . not a homebody

KM

Feb 19 15 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

Never been happier !

KM

Yep - that's what I'm remembering; when I did my photography in my live-work loft previously, I lived photography a whole lot more than I do now - there's something about having to drive to a studio, that has a way of stifling regular creativity.

Feb 19 15 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:

Yep - that's what I'm remembering; when I did my photography in my live-work loft previously, I lived photography a whole lot more than I do now - there's something about having to drive to a studio, that has a way of stifling regular creativity.

If thats the case, then why not give up the house ?
It's the studio that makes you happy . . .  isn't it ?

KM

Feb 19 15 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

If thats the case, then why not give up the house ?
It's the studio that makes you happy . . .  isn't it ?

KM

Ha ha - the studio is not really livable as a residence (and I don't own it so I couldn't do the great solution you  did).

Feb 19 15 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ha ha - the studio is not really livable as a residence (and I don't own it so I couldn't do the great solution you  did).

Look for another studio that you CAN live in.

you only live once . . . live your dream . . .

Feb 19 15 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

I have done all of the above.

The notion that there are no drawbacks to live/work spaces is false. There are tradeoffs with everything. Depending on the type and duration of your shoots, having a professional space within your living space can require exceptional patience. Not to mention more cleaning and careful personal habits.

Currently I have both a studio in Manhattan (rented and shared with other photographers) and a living loft in Jersey City that I can shoot in. The studio is advantageous because it is located in a busy commercial district with any conceivable photo-support services nearby. The loft is advantageous for shoots that can also use a home-environment which I use for stock photo shoots.

Feb 19 15 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Happy Guy Photos

Upland, California, US

Seriously thinking of giving up my studio the end of this month.
A few months back I moved to this great big loft. Where my home is now an hour away from my studio, so I'm not getting there much any more. Also my loft is much closer to Los Angeles than my studio was in Orange County, so travel for models and team greatly improves.

I'm thinking most of what I do in studio, I can easily do in my loft (high ceilings - tons of space, hardwood floors) and be right at home - I did this successfully in Chicago lofts where I lived, before actually leasing studio space away from my home. This isn't a situation where I'm shooting in an apartment, the loft is basically the size and layout of a studio, but with a little living room group on one side.

I also think that not being so trapped in the comfort of a studio, with a chair to sit in, etc will elevate my work - it was getting a little predictable and this will force me to do location where a location would benefit the image and still give me a studio where a studio would benefit the image.

Don't limit yourself to the loft.

I used to only use my garage for shoots, then a model noticed my large windows in the living room and now that's where I spend most of my time during shoots. Most of the shots on my portfolio were taken in the living room.

Feb 19 15 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

studio rental time was what I went to for awhile when it was no longer cost effective to maintain space and when that did not work financially...started from home since I have the space and some tall ceilings...some issues but cost effective

Feb 19 15 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Bluestill Photography

Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan

Never been happier !

KM

This is exactly the setup I am looking for. I would be so much more happier and only have to pay one internet bill.

Feb 19 15 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

I also have a big industrial loft studio and cannot imagine working any other way.  My loft is a great location for shoots and meetings, and I am far less frustrated about scheduling issues since I have plenty to keep me busy here.  My clients and models love working here and I invest in furniture, backgrounds, art, etc instead of studio rental.  My huge windows and industrial vibe is very inspiring for creative work and I can work as often or late as I feel. Some client projects still require a special location, but most of my life and creative work can be accomplished here.

Based on your descrption-this is an easy choice.

Feb 19 15 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Loki Studio wrote:
I also have a big industrial loft studio and cannot imagine working any other way.  My loft is a great location for shoots and meetings, and I am far less frustrated about scheduling issues since I have plenty to keep me busy here.  My clients and models love working here and I invest in furniture, backgrounds, art, etc instead of studio rental.  My huge windows and industrial vibe is very inspiring for creative work and I can work as often or late as I feel. Some client projects still require a special location, but most of my life and creative work can be accomplished here.

Based on your descrption-this is an easy choice.

So - you also live there?

Feb 19 15 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

So - you also live there?

Yes, my work/life/studio/home are all the same.

Feb 19 15 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Well, I formally made the move this weekend - I'm just amazed how well everything fits into the new loft. Is it possible that I seem to have even more room and shooting flexibility in the loft, than I had in the studio? And I even found 20amp circuits in the kitchen island on one side of the loft. Excellent!

Can't wait to do my first shoot here.

Feb 23 15 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Oh to have a space big enough to actually do useable lighting setups!! Have fun in the new diggs!!:-)

Feb 23 15 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

This is exactly what I am looking for to find, hopefully this year.

A loft, just like that, where I also can have a corner to put my painters atelier and another where I can put a photostudio in.

Congratulations on the new place and the chance to have my dream situation!!! smile

Feb 24 15 07:06 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

udor wrote:

This is exactly what I am looking for to find, hopefully this year.

A loft, just like that, where I also can have a corner to put my painters atelier and another where I can put a photostudio in.

Congratulations on the new place and the chance to have my dream situation!!! smile

Thanks.

You talk about the painters atelier in a corner - one of the things I like so much about the loft, is that now I have my little recording studio ('U' of keyboards and Protools & fader banks setup), off to the side of the main area, as opposed to being shoved away into a 2nd bedroom in a conventional apartment. With still a big open area for photo shooting. Just love big and open instead of all room-divided up, like apartments and houses.

Feb 24 15 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

GER Photography wrote:
In a way, it's like having a gym membership. The closer it is (less hassle) the more you use it. Having a studio space where you live is the best way to shoot what you want when you want. Besides, when the model leaves you can just grab a beer and watch some Netflix!!:-))

I've actually found it to be the opposite. Not the gym membership - you're right on there smile

I've found that having a dedicated work apace makes me more likely to actually work. Sure I can work here, but as you mention I could also have a beer and watch Netflix. But that's me, and not everyone has the same work patterns.

Feb 24 15 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Zack Zoll wrote:

I've actually found it to be the opposite. Not the gym membership - you're right on there smile

I've found that having a dedicated work apace makes me more likely to actually work. Sure I can work here, but as you mention I could also have a beer and watch Netflix. But that's me, and not everyone has the same work patterns.

For me that holds true for retouching (I can always find something to help me avoid doing it) - but I've always done my retouching at home, not my studio. But for the actual shooting I'm pretty sure I'll find it will be easier to shoot more often.

Feb 25 15 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Sichenze Photography

Powhatan, Virginia, US

Interesting thread and comments.  I decided to build a new small house and an 85-65 pole barn that is going to have 16 foot ceilings. The studio will be out back now and out front is a pond and island and trees and fields all around.  Will start on it in a month or so.

Feb 27 15 04:30 am Link