Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Craft Beer Migration?

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

In a move likely related to the presence and possible sustainment of drought conditions in California, several of the larger craft breweries have established expansion facilities in parts of the country where multi-year droughts are less likely.

Stone has announced a new facility to be built in Richmond, VA - http://blog.stonebrewing.com/index.php/ … -richmond/

Lagunitas has a new facility in Chicago - https://lagunitas.com/tag/chicago/

Green Flash -- also Virginia - http://www.greenflashbrew.com/virginia-beach/

Sierra Nevada - Ashville, NC - http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sierra … 2014-11-21

Others??

Though not Cali, a few Colorado brews either moved or built plants in the east as well

Flying Dog moved from Denver to Fredrick MD, and Oscar Blues has a facility in North Carolina. New Belgium is also in North Carolina.

I've heard rumors that California legislators might seek to cap craft beer production at a certain level if the drought gets worse -- guess exporting what is 99% water during a drought is a bad thing.

Mar 15 15 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

We have many craft beers here already.

Mar 15 15 10:38 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

once again, this state has no long term plan for managing its water resources. they'll inevitably institute some 'emergency' water rationing measures, that will focus on the wrong usage. it isn't people watering their lawns that is the problem. the bulk of california's water use is centered in the (huge) central valley. and there are a few crops that use up most of the water.

the thing is, it's the feed for animals that is draining the most water. until a long term crop assessment is done, this scenario will continue, and get far worse.

meanwhile, all the bozos up in sacramento just cross their fingers, and run around the capital doing a rain dance.

meanwhile, the snowpack from this winter has been the lowest ever recorded. get ready for a $500.00 ticket for washing your car. it's coming.

Mar 15 15 10:53 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Interesting.

I know the local lake nearby feeds about 3-4 power stations with the outflow and it is pretty well dried up now.  I got a bad feeling utility bills are going to skyrocket if hydro gets cutback and the closing of the nuclear plants too.  Bad enough they already are $500/mo. here, but was told it is going to $550/mo. soon.  I think the state gave cities the ability to hand out $500 fines for water waste too.

Can't wash vehicles in driveways here either.  We got a notice about having standing gutter water too.  City has been replacing some grass medians with Astroturf.  I tried that in a small spot, but the feral cats shredded mine in no time.  Then they'll poop on the newly discovered dirt they find under it.  Can't win.

They probably should nix the bullet train idea (What was wrong with Amtrak?) and build a cross-country aqueduct to get rid of the east's snow and flood waters.  Some local farm fields look pretty sad.  Yet they keep building houses like mad around here.  Dunno...

Did a sponge bath of the car during one 'rain storm' (Oxymoron 'round here!) and let it rain on it and wash the soap off.  Actually, it came out pretty good and no calcium water spots either.

Mar 15 15 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Good craft beer companies might be the new "Starbucks" for the decade to come. I can see them setting up mini-pubs and kiosks everywhere. Beer related Starbucks-style bites to eat would fold in nicely - boutique sandwiches, designer cheese & cracker mini platters, healthy sausage sliver salads, etc., etc., etc. Airport terminals, franchises in asia and other vibrant economies, college campuses, tshirts, souvenir beer glasses, baseball caps, take out jugs of beer made of brown or green glass with a ring on the neck, wrapped in recycled biodegradable brown paper, etc. Earth-friendly stylish craft beer drinking at it's finest.

Successful and popular craft beer companies growing into mass production and distribution with outlets nation-wide and world-wide while retaining their local craft beer imagery and charm makes sense to me.

Mar 15 15 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Opening up of remote production facilities is a brand new thing in the American Craft beer movement. Historically all brewing was done under one roof and one brewmaster, or at worst at one 'pilot' brewery and one 'production' brewery. None of the real craft breweries has had a second production facility until recently.

This has nothing to do with availability of beer within a state. None of these new plants is needed to open new markets. Yes, they will benefit from reduced shipping costs and poss market share growth, but neither of these factors was the real driver in the expansions, IMO.

Mar 15 15 10:59 am Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Click Hamilton wrote:
Good craft beer companies might be the new "Starbucks" for the decade to come. I can see them setting up mini-pubs and kiosks everywhere. Beer related Starbucks-style bites to eat would fold in nicely - boutique sandwiches, designer cheese & cracker mini platters, healthy sausage sliver salads, etc., etc., etc. Airport terminals, franchises in asia, college campuses, tshirts, souvenir beer glasses, baseball caps, take out jugs of beer made of brown or green glass with a ring on the neck, wrapped in recycled biodegradable brown paper, etc. Earth-friendly stylish craft beer drinking at it's finest.

Successful and popular craft beer companies growing into mass production and distribution with outlets nation-wide and world-wide while retaining their local craft beer imagery and charm makes sense to me.

done in
YUL : http://www.archibaldmicrobrasserie.ca/c … treal.html
Longboard have/had a pub in Honolulu airport

Mar 15 15 11:04 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I think beer and liquor are more affected by sin taxes and local and state laws.  Here in the Philippines we had a sin tax and doubled the price of our local brews.  Now a local beer is about a dollar.  How the hell is a budweiser $6 in CA? It isn't 6 times better.  I heard it is mostly taxes that make the prices of liquor so high in the USA.  Ouch!  A night of drinking here in the Philippines is $15 for a couple to go out to a nice place for dinner and have a few beers too.

Mar 15 15 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

martin b wrote:
I think beer and liquor are more affected by sin taxes and local and state laws.  Here in the Philippines we had a sin tax and doubled the price of our local brews.  Now a local beer is about a dollar.  How the hell is a budweiser $6 in CA? It isn't 6 times better.  I heard it is mostly taxes that make the prices of liquor so high in the USA.  Ouch!  A night of drinking here in the Philippines is $15 for a couple to go out to a nice place for dinner and have a few beers too.

i believe the bud you get in the phillipines is a contract brew. it's made by one of the bigger brewers there (asia brewing, i believe).

tariffs (sin, or otherwise) aren't going to be the same from a locally brewed beer. trust me, if the bud you are drinking came from the us bud breweries, you'd be paying a whole lot more than a buck a bottle.

i think guinness was the first big contract brewer. it's what made them a world-wide brand. and inbev has swallowed up ab now, so their tentacles stretch even further around the globe.

Mar 15 15 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

martin b wrote:

budweiser is not a craft beer. I would say it's not even a beer.

how long does a regular joe in Manilla have to work to be able to afford a beer regarding to one in L.A ?

Mar 15 15 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

scrymettet wrote:
how long does a regular joe in Manilla have to work to be able to afford a beer regarding to one in L.A ?

https://img.pandawhale.com/45948-oh-snap-gif-NJ0A.gif

Mar 15 15 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

the household income here is $700 per month. In the USA I think it is $2800 per month.  But here there is usually two or three breadwinners. Most people make around $300.  Budweiser here costs $6. same as USA. only foreigners drink it.

The Average teacher here makes about $400 per month.  The average teacher in Ca makes $8000 per month.  With benefits the average teacher in Ca makes $15,000 per month.  Everyone here dreams of being a Ca teacher.

I just used teacher as an average joe job.  i think it is well paid though in Los Angeles.  I just know the salary because many school teachers retire here and I am amazed at their pensions.

Mar 15 15 07:15 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Asheville, NC is my hometown.

My family and closest friends still live there. They are all excited about these breweries coming to town, because that area has a very high cost of living, compared to other parts of the Southeast, and few job opportunities - the primary reason I left in 2008.

My friend (and former boss; the company we worked for went out of business in 2009) went to a job fair recently, hoping to submit her resume to New Belgium, I think it was. She said there were probably 100 people already in line at the brewery jobs tables early in the morning.

Most of the younger people I know who stayed there are desperate for work, and see a lot of hope in this.

Mar 15 15 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Koryn wrote:
My friend (and former boss; the company we worked for went out of business in 2009) went to a job fair recently, hoping to submit her resume to New Belgium, I think it was. She said there were probably 100 people already in line at the brewery jobs tables early in the morning.

Most of the younger people I know who stayed there are desperate for work, and see a lot of hope in this.

nc is also a right to work state. that's probably why a lot of these companies would expand there. i hope your friend gets hired.

Mar 15 15 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Robb Mann wrote:
New Belgium is also in North Carolina.

Don't know about the others, but for New Belgium, it's an expansion, not a migration. Their size operation makes it tough for distribution, particularly out east.

Mar 15 15 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Justin wrote:

Don't know about the others, but for New Belgium, it's an expansion, not a migration. Their size operation makes it tough for distribution, particularly out east.

Flying Dog is the only large Craft brewery I know of that actually moved, everyone else is an expansion. But 'expansion' itself is a new phenomenon in the craft beer world, regardless of the reason for it. Prior to these expansions all craft breweries brewed out of a single location for production work. It's a move towards a more 'mass beer' distribution model.

New Belgium is a great employer. They give you a custom bike every year on your anniversary, and that bike can carry two six-packs. Ashville itself is wooing Brewers to set up there. A friend of mine owns a small brewpub and wants to open a stand-alone brewery, He's thinking Ashville.

Mar 16 15 02:22 am Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

Those plans to open facilities on the east coast were in the works long before the drought became a serious issue. It only makes sense to expand and increase sales. Stone is also opening a facility in Europe.

Mar 16 15 04:06 am Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

martin b wrote:
the household income here is $700 per month. In the USA I think it is $2800 per month.  But here there is usually two or three breadwinners. Most people make around $300.  Budweiser here costs $6. same as USA. only foreigners drink it.

The Average teacher here makes about $400 per month.  The average teacher in Ca makes $8000 per month.  With benefits the average teacher in Ca makes $15,000 per month.  Everyone here dreams of being a Ca teacher.

I just used teacher as an average joe job.  i think it is well paid though in Los Angeles.  I just know the salary because many school teachers retire here and I am amazed at their pensions.

thank you for the answer.

I had beers in China,India and Nepal. They were mostly lagers but drinkable.
The Gurka and Brown Kingfisher were good.

Mar 16 15 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

I'm thirsty.

Mar 16 15 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

GK photo wrote:

https://img.pandawhale.com/45948-oh-snap-gif-NJ0A.gif

?????????????????

Mar 16 15 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Click Hamilton wrote:
I'm thirsty.

if you like red ale , you are welcome to stop by

Mar 16 15 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Dream-foto

Chico, California, US

The Sierra Nevada Brewery is about a mile from my house. I've had the pleasure of chatting with management. They already have world wide distribution. I've seen the european kegs (different than US keg configuration) stacked up in the loading dock.

The reason they built the new brewery in North Carolina was to reduce shipping costs to the east coast. Beer is heavy, and shipping gets expensive.  I suspect there may be other reasons as well such as the opportunity to offer more varieties.

The problem with having a second brewery is consistency. They said it's very difficult to produce an identical product at another location due to slight differences in equipment and water minerals.

Just in case you were wondering, Sierra Nevada Beer is made from filtered local tap water. They won't use reverse osmosis since it wastes too much water.

Mar 21 15 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Dream-foto

Chico, California, US

scrymettet wrote:

Google is your friend:

The median salary in the Philippines is about $7,660.8 per year.

http://www.dumblittleman.com/2014/05/wh … pines.html

Cheap and cold San Miguel beer is served all over, with imports costing quite a bit more.    0.89 - 1.78*

http://www.priceoftravel.com/65/philipp … ila-prices

So about 3 to 4 hours work for a beer.
Hardly seems worth it.

*However that is the tourist price, they probably pay a lot less in local stores.

Mar 21 15 08:41 am Link