Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Hearing or Eyesight?

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

If someone told you that you were going to lose one of your senses and you could choose which one, would it be your eyesight or your hearing? Why do you so choose?

Mar 20 15 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

That's a no brainer... It's easier to live without hearing than eye sight.

Mar 20 15 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

-The Dave- wrote:

sez you. if i could no longer listen to music, i'd dive off the nearest tall structure...and i'd be able to spot a sufficiently hard landing spot. tongue

where's the good with seeing the wind rustling through the trees, when you can't hear it? i'd rather not see it, but hear it, imho.

but i'd rather keep all five, as long as i can. if one sense had to go, i'd ditch taste. hell, i could lose some weight that way. smile

Mar 20 15 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

What? Say again?

Mar 20 15 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Naughty Ties

Riverview, Florida, US

Given a choice I'm keeping the eye sight, you can't compensate for that loss like you can with hearing loss...lip reading for instance. With no sight, being a sports fan I woud miss some of the great plays on TV that I've treasured all my life and although I can still hear the announcers describing it it's just not the same.

Plus I'd never get to see my wife naked again and I just couldn't handle that!  lol

Mar 20 15 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

GK photo wrote:
sez you.

Yup, I've been almost deaf since birth, it stops me little and it's easier to hear with your eyes than to see with your ears...

Mar 20 15 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

-The Dave- wrote:
Yup, I've been almost deaf since birth, it stops me little and it's easier to hear with your eyes than to see with your ears...

yeah, but spacial awareness is greatly enhanced with ears. eyes can only see (roughly) 180 degrees. you can't see what's behind you...without mirrors.

Mar 20 15 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Naughty Ties

Riverview, Florida, US

GK photo wrote:

yeah, but spacial awareness is greatly enhanced with ears. eyes can only see (roughly) 180 degrees. you can't see what's behind you...without mirrors.

Why would anyone need to see behind them?  lol

Mar 20 15 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Naughty Ties wrote:
Why would anyone need to see behind them?  lol

you aren't getting the point. and really, even though human peripheral eyesight is (more or less) 180 degrees, most folks are locked into roughly 20 degrees of eyesight. what good does eyesight do you, if you can't hear a car barreling at you from the rear? or, that lion that is about to eat you?

sure, sight and sound are both integral, but i was just saying that if i had to pick one, i'd keep hearing. and not just for selfish reasons. i actually think hearing would be more beneficial to my existence.

obviously, others will disagree.

Mar 20 15 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

i wonder if anyone has ever done a study, whereby they take people and deny them of sight on one day, then hearing on the other. that would be a good study. or two or three days each.

then one could quantify which sense is more important, in relative terms.

Mar 20 15 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

wr not here

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Lovely Day Media wrote:
If someone told you that you were going to lose one of your senses and you could choose which one, would it be your eyesight or your hearing? Why do you so choose?

Well, I'm already doing quite well with losing my hearing. It isn't so bad.
I'd hate to be blind.

Mar 20 15 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

LeWhite

Los Angeles, California, US

The book was better than the movie,  but the soundtrack was better than them both!

Mar 20 15 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I had this discussion with someone earlier. They told me I was nuts for preferring to lose my eyesight over my hearing. They said it's because one can function much better alone if they can't hear than they can if they can't see. While I agree with that perspective, I of the opinion that it's better for me if I can't see because it's far more important for me to hear what a person says instead of what they look like.

I don't need to see my dog to pet it. If I can't hear my dog, there could be something seriously wrong and I'd never know. I don't have a wife, but if I did, if I can't see her, I can't see her getting older and suffering the effects of age. If I can hear her, I can speak to her, too. I think it would lead to a much better relationship for both of us.

I understand many live without being able to hear, but I'm also one who doesn't do well with other languages. This includes sign language. 

Given a choice, I wouldn't wish the loss of either sense on anyone, but if I have to choose which one I'd lose, it would be my eyesight.

Mar 20 15 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

noir

Crewe, England, United Kingdom

Seriously false dichotomy.  Instinct for most would be loss of eyesight most important.  Known people going through loss of sight, or sight plus hearing, progressively.  For most, sensory loss is progressive.

BUT most important thing is this.  We talk about sensory loss.  Fewer people start talking to someone with sensory loss..  God forbid I experienced sight or hearing loss/  How much more I am likely to have in my circle of friends, involved and talking to me, people who simply value me.

Mar 21 15 06:46 am Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

you would think people on a modeling/photography site would value their sight more...

eyes-- beauty of the sky, the oceans, trees, life...

I remember seeing more wonderful things in life than hearing wonderful things

Mar 21 15 06:53 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I'd rather have my hearing hands down.

Mar 21 15 06:57 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

-The Dave- wrote:

I was half-deaf as a kid, then got tubes in my ears.
I feel like now the Bionic woman theme repeats in my head; I hear everything.

I used to read lips at 4 years old.
Very frustrating not being able to hear I was told.

Mar 21 15 07:02 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I have recently suffered from hearing loss in both ears. It still beats my eyesight which includes double vision, an astigmatism, trouble seeing up close and far away.

As Jules pointed out, you might be able to read lips. Take the hearing, maybe the ringing in my ears will be gone along with it.

Mar 21 15 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

-The Dave- wrote:

This.

I've had tinnitus for over 10 yrs.....it sucks, & it is always getting louder.
My eyes any day of the week, & twice on Sundays.

Mar 21 15 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

GK photo wrote:
i wonder if anyone has ever done a study, whereby they take people and deny them of sight on one day, then hearing on the other. that would be a good study. or two or three days each.

then one could quantify which sense is more important, in relative terms.

Unless it's Beethoven, I don't see how anyone could value their ears over their eyes.

Mar 21 15 07:35 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

I like my music loud.
In the car, at concerts, in the club.

I'm pretty much comitted to having a hearing aid by age 40.

Wouldn't wanna have to stop clapping my site eyes on a got young dude though ...and I watch my movies with subtitles anyways.

Mar 21 15 07:45 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Cherrystone wrote:
Unless it's Beethoven, I don't see how anyone could value their ears over their eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r92A7ndnZk

I've had many good conversations over the phone.
A sexy voice is to die for.

Mar 21 15 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

In general, humans rely on the eyesight three times more than their other senses put together.  Much of the brain's physiology has evolved for the processing of sight.  Much has I'd hate to lose hearing, I'd sacrifice it if it meant keeping my sight.

I'm half-blind -- no vision whatsoever in my left eye, and going blind is terrifying to me.

Mar 21 15 08:48 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Amadea T wrote:
I like my music loud.
In the car, at concerts, in the club.

I'm pretty much comitted to having a hearing aid by age 40.

ask cherry. it's not a total loss of hearing, if you get tinnitus. it's a constant ringing/buzzing in your ears. turn it down in the car, and start wearing ear plugs at clubs/concerts. once you get use to them, the music actually sounds better. they have some new types now that aren't the old foam types. they basically reduce the sound levels, but retain most of the frequency range of what you are listening to. 

i'm 50, and have a lot of friends now who have tinnitus. it does not sound like anything i'd want any part of. and i've been to hundreds of concerts in my life, and played in some loud bands. i just knew i wanted my hearing when i got to this age.

Mar 21 15 09:22 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

GK photo wrote:

ask cherry. it's not a total loss of hearing, if you get tinnitus. it's a constant ringing/buzzing in your ears. turn it down in the car, and start wearing ear plugs at clubs/concerts. once you get use to them, the music actually sounds better. they have some new types now that aren't the old foam types. they basically reduce the sound levels, but retain most of the frequency range of what you are listening to. 

i'm 50, and have a lot of friends now who have tinnitus. it does not sound like anything i'd want any part of. and i've been to hundreds of concerts in my life, and played in some loud bands. i just knew i wanted my hearing when i got to this age.

My tinnitus is more like electronic feedback and it didn't come from loud music. I have been to so few concerts I can count them on one hand. My issues came from head injuries and other issues that are still being investigated. I'm not saying you shouldn't protect your hearing though. It sucks to have hearing loss in both ears but it's not bad enough to be corrected. My kids make fun of me and sometimes think I am ignoring them or not listening to them when in fact I just can't hear them.

Mar 21 15 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Cherrystone wrote:

There is vanilla, chocolate and strawberry for a reason.  I've been without my ears (in effect) for a few days. I've been without eyesight in one eye for a few days, too. I'd much rather go without my eyes.

Mar 21 15 10:46 am Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

Cherrystone wrote:

This.

I've had tinnitus for over 10 yrs.....it sucks, & it is always getting louder.
My eyes any day of the week, & twice on Sundays.

Absolutely

Eyes are the windows to the soul...

Mar 21 15 10:51 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Isis22 wrote:

My tinnitus is more like electronic feedback and it didn't come from loud music. I have been to so few concerts I can count them on one hand. My issues came from head injuries and other issues that are still being investigated. I'm not saying you shouldn't protect your hearing though. It sucks to have hearing loss in both ears but it's not bad enough to be corrected. My kids make fun of me and sometimes think I am ignoring them or not listening to them when in fact I just can't hear them.

sorry to hear that. were you concussed repeatedly? that's one of the unfortunate long term ailments a lot of ex nfl football players are dealing with as well. so is your tinnitus something that is just generally 'in your head'? as opposed to appearing to emanate from inside your ears? my loud music (or workplace) hearing damaged friends can state the buzzing is more like it's in their ears.

oh, and slap those kids! tongue how cruel.

Mar 21 15 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

DEP E510 wrote:
Eyes are the windows to the soul...

I dunno. I lived with an old blind man many years ago. He could see much better than I. In fact, he used to get a chuckle out of asking me questions. When I would answer, he would tell me to go look. It was (forgive the pun), an eye-opening and very humbling experience. . . . . .  If only I could see as well as he . . . . .

Whenever I think of him (he has long passed), I think of the song "Daniel" by Elton John . . . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36EgsHidqzY

Mar 21 15 11:48 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
Given a choice, I wouldn't wish the loss of either sense on anyone, but if I have to choose which one I'd lose, it would be my eyesight.

Yeah, maybe..., but in my case... I am a visual artist as a painter and photographer... I am not a musician... I express myself via visual work as well.

I'd prefer the silence of deafness, over living in a world of eternal darkness...

Btw., Beethoven, didn't have a problem being deaf...

Mar 21 15 11:52 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Cherrystone wrote:

Beethoven created some of his greatest work, during the time when he was nearly completely deaf...

Mar 21 15 11:54 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

udor wrote:
Beethoven created some of his greatest work, during the time when he was nearly completely deaf...

sure, but he already knew how the tones would be represented, after years of hearing them actually played, on all the instruments he was scoring for. just sayin'.

Mar 21 15 12:45 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

GK photo wrote:

sorry to hear that. were you concussed repeatedly? that's one of the unfortunate long term ailments a lot of ex nfl football players are dealing with as well. so is your tinnitus something that is just generally 'in your head'? as opposed to appearing to emanate from inside your ears? my loud music (or workplace) hearing damaged friends can state the buzzing is more like it's in their ears.

oh, and slap those kids! tongue how cruel.

Yes, repeated concussions, but my ENT really thinks you need one really bad head injury(which I have had) to really do the damage. I would saying the tinnitus is IN my ears. I noticed it when I first moved to this apartment but honestly I could have had it years before then. So, It's been around 5 years at least. My vision issues started at age 13. I still say take my hearing. I am a visual person and learn visually as well.

Mar 21 15 12:54 pm Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

I value my eyes more than my hearing. There are tools available for people with hearing loss. Nowadays the tools get better. So, I am fine with losing my hearing. I was born deaf and grew up fine without hearing, by the way. I personally can't imagine losing both vision and hearing at same time. I need to see what I eat, where I go, etc. tongue

Mar 22 15 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Naughty Ties

Riverview, Florida, US

GK photo wrote:

you aren't getting the point. and really, even though human peripheral eyesight is (more or less) 180 degrees, most folks are locked into roughly 20 degrees of eyesight. what good does eyesight do you, if you can't hear a car barreling at you from the rear? or, that lion that is about to eat you?

sure, sight and sound are both integral, but i was just saying that if i had to pick one, i'd keep hearing. and not just for selfish reasons. i actually think hearing would be more beneficial to my existence.

obviously, others will disagree.

I'm getting the point, I just think you're taking your point to an extreme level is all. Never had a car come barreling at me from behind...ever. lol From the side maybe it could happen but then if a person is aware of a hearing loss they would take extra precautions when crossing a street. And the thing about the lion....surely that's a jest. Unless one lives in a jungle of course. lol

To each his own for sure.

Mar 22 15 02:24 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

GK photo wrote:

I hate ear buds and head phones bc I have sensitive ears.

Brixton academy some decade ago. Prodigy and Audio Bullies to warm up..
I had to shred a tampon and put the cotton in my ears. Worked like a charm. smile

Tinnitus is not just a pain in the ass for noise but also for balance.
My nana keeps getting nauseous from it.

Also another point for seeing: I can't hear my good being ready but I can see that black is brown enough when it comes to the toaster...

Mar 22 15 02:43 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Amadea T wrote:

I hate ear buds and head phones bc I have sensitive ears.

Brixton academy some decade ago. Prodigy and Audio Bullies to warm up..
I had to shred a tampon and put the cotton in my ears. Worked like a charm. smile

Tinnitus is not just a pain in the ass for noise but also for balance.
My nana keeps getting nauseous from it.

Tinnitus and vertigo do not always go together. I went 4 years until I got the dizziness and crap. Look up Meniere's Disease, my aunt has it and I am still trying to be diagnosed with it. My aunt has no issues now since they put her on a simple diuretic.

Mar 22 15 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Summa

San Antonio, Texas, US

You can see seeing
you can't hear hearing.

Marcel Duchamp.

Mar 22 15 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Summa

San Antonio, Texas, US

Mar 22 15 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Been both (temporarily). Can cope with the loss of either. In some ways, being blind was more fun (get to grope and touch a lot more). Being deaf really sucks.

Mar 23 15 12:39 am Link