Model

SKULLY

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I'm pretty suave when it comes to working with social media sites. Been working with music promotion for 8 years so I'm always trying to stay up with the curves.

I'm wondering what your thoughts on posting the same images on all of your social media sites when pertaining to modeling/photography  may be.

The pluses and negatives of this ??  what do you think?

I personally think that it's good to use the same images to an extent  so they are seen and interlinked between profiles, but there is a certain allure to posting some exclusively on certain platforms.   ( I use Instagram @skullyarts  and Facebook @skullymodelnc    to post some behind the scenes stuff, and some poetry)

Flickr and Tumblr   I feel are also good for poetry and posting photos that I have taken as an amateur  photographer.

ModelMayhem and similar sites are great for posting my modeling and for networking, I've enjoyed getting back into modeling, and am hoping to do some more acting in tv/movies   so therefore I am working on setting up a Youtube.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I love hearing other folks ideas and opinions on this stuff.

-Skully

Mar 29 15 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

SKULLY wrote:
I'm pretty suave when it comes to working with social media sites. Been working with music promotion for 8 years so I'm always trying to stay up with the curves.

I'm wondering what your thoughts on posting the same images on all of your social media sites when pertaining to modeling/photography  may be.

I personally think that it's good to use the same images to an extent  so they are seen and interlinked between profiles, but there is a certain allure to posting some exclusively on certain platforms.   ( I use Instagram @skullyarts  and Facebook @skullymodelnc    to post some behind the scenes stuff, and some poetry)

Flickr and Tumblr   I feel are also good for poetry and posting photos that I have taken as an amateur  photographer.

ModelMayhem and similar sites are great for posting my modeling and for networking, I've enjoyed getting back into modeling, and am hoping to do some more acting in tv/movies   so therefore I am working on setting up a Youtube.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I love hearing other folks ideas and opinions on this stuff.

-Skully

Just a thought, not trying to be sarcastic, but you say you're suave yet you barely have any followers on any of your social media? How do you qualify yourself as someone suave at social media?

Mar 29 15 11:22 pm Link

Model

SKULLY

Allen Carbon wrote:

Just a thought, not trying to be sarcastic, but you say you're suave yet you barely have any followers on any of your social media? How do you qualify yourself as someone suave at social media?

I've just recently started up with my modeling social media, my music promoter social media is much bigger

Apr 02 15 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

suave at social media? you sure you didn't mean savvy?

now this guy, i could see being suave at social media...

https://www.adweek.com/prnewser/files/2014/12/gerardo.jpg

tongue

Apr 02 15 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Sax

TRABUCO CANYON, California, US

SKULLY wrote:

-Skully

I avoid Facebook for the most part except via the feed for my blog.  Their copyright policy is dubious.

Twitter, Flickr, and Tumblr mostly respect copyright.  Flickr is well set up for Creative Commons as well.

I find that I get the most hits on my stuff via Twitter then Flickr then Tumblr.

There are also other sites you should consider such as lomography.com (for analog) and Panoramio (the source of the photos for Google Earth).

Apr 02 15 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Los Angeles, California, US

Allen Carbon wrote:

He got you to look.

Granted, you have a point but there are plenty of people who fish for followers by using the follow-and-drop method. Others pose seemingly innocent question which prompts people to look at their social media profiles. Some will follow.

Apr 03 15 09:56 am Link

Model

SKULLY

GK photo wrote:
suave at social media? you sure you didn't mean savvy?

now this guy, i could see being suave at social media...

https://www.adweek.com/prnewser/files/2014/12/gerardo.jpg

tongue

Lol, touché

Apr 03 15 12:32 pm Link

Model

SKULLY

Joel Sax wrote:

I avoid Facebook for the most part except via the feed for my blog.  Their copyright policy is dubious.

Twitter, Flickr, and Tumblr mostly respect copyright.  Flickr is well set up for Creative Commons as well.

I find that I get the most hits on my stuff via Twitter then Flickr then Tumblr.

There are also other sites you should consider such as lomography.com (for analog) and Panoramio (the source of the photos for Google Earth).

Thanks for the input, I will definitely look into those

Apr 03 15 12:33 pm Link

Model

orias

Tampa, Florida, US

I maintain a handful of twitters, facebooks, instagrams, fetlifes, tumblrs etc.

Each of these have a specialty.  So i only cross post if theres an overlap of content.  i dont do bland updates because i can only grow my following due to search returns, reposts, likes/favorites.   My twitter is really my only generic day to day casual posting platform to get a glimpse into my life, my other accounts are more business specialized and i monitor them heavier.

but in general most people have more than one social account and if they like you enough they will follow you on multiples, though they may quickly unfollow if you're posting the same stuff at all times. 

facebook is a better platform for location check ins and reviews.  Twitter is best for jokes, one liners, facts, Q/A.  Tumblr is good for writing,  instagram is great for photos.  each has a primary audience participation expression.  But most you CAN cross post, it just may not be worth the effort unless you're using a social platform which automatically cross posts for you automatically in which case in lieu of not posting at all, then you may as well.  updates are better than no updates, but unique updates are better than repetitive updates.

Apr 03 15 07:21 pm Link

Model

SKULLY

orias wrote:
I maintain a handful of twitters, facebooks, instagrams, fetlifes, tumblrs etc.

Each of these have a specialty.  So i only cross post if theres an overlap of content.  i dont do bland updates because i can only grow my following due to search returns, reposts, likes/favorites.   My twitter is really my only generic day to day casual posting platform to get a glimpse into my life, my other accounts are more business specialized and i monitor them heavier.

but in general most people have more than one social account and if they like you enough they will follow you on multiples, though they may quickly unfollow if you're posting the same stuff at all times. 

facebook is a better platform for location check ins and reviews.  Twitter is best for jokes, one liners, facts, Q/A.  Tumblr is good for writing,  instagram is great for photos.  each has a primary audience participation expression.  But most you CAN cross post, it just may not be worth the effort unless you're using a social platform which automatically cross posts for you automatically in which case in lieu of not posting at all, then you may as well.  updates are better than no updates, but unique updates are better than repetitive updates.

Awesome input!

Apr 04 15 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

Kincaid Blackwood wrote:
He got you to look.

Granted, you have a point but there are plenty of people who fish for followers by using the follow-and-drop method. Others pose seemingly innocent question which prompts people to look at their social media profiles. Some will follow.

Getting you to look holds no merit whatsoever.
Especially in a forum (Model mayhem) that has a cultivated culture to look when told.

What holds merit is if you can get the interaction. His instagram for example only has 140 or so followers in the space of about 4 months. Which is modest, nothing wrong with that. I started my instagram 7 months ago, granted thats 3 more months than he but I've already gotten up to 1200 and I don't qualify myself as savvy. Far from it.  It just seemed more like a person who just wanted us to see his profile. Which we have done. Had he really truly been savvy then this conversation could go further. Alternatively, had this been honest at the start and he wanted to have our opinion about social then a genuine conversation could have occurred.

But to start by saying how savvy he is at social media and how he stays up with the curve yet barely have any followers on any of his social media  just makes me question whether he really wants our opinion or if he just wants us to look at his profile.  I guess I was just after transparency.

Apr 06 15 05:45 am Link

Photographer

ValHig

London, England, United Kingdom

Use each platform in the appropriate way for that platform. People talk about 'social media' as if the sites are identical and it's a mistake to treat them as such (especially when people have identical cross posts).

Instagram is good for BTS stuff, previews, showing off final images, hashtagging the shit out of everything, and posting as you're shooting. Flickr and Tumblr are really more for the final product. Facebook is good for maintaining communication with an existing following as well as the same sort of content as you have on instagram (but you're better off posting it separately rather than linking people to another network... too much of that gets old really quickly. My pet peeve is Twitter accounts that only feature links to Instagram photos. Just why?!). Since you're maintaining them separately, think before you open an account and have a good reason for doing it rather than 'to be on Twitter'.

But ultimately you will repeat some images. Otherwise your presence will be really disjointed.

Apr 06 15 07:15 am Link

Model

Melissa Kat

Orlando, Florida, US

Every platform has its own benefits but literally every platform will help you grow your awareness even if you only claim your domain. Be consistent. Upload photos and videos more than verbiage for more easy exposure. Do this at high traffic times and INTERACT with people in a positive manner and ignore the negative.

Apr 06 15 11:44 am Link

Model

SKULLY

Allen Carbon wrote:

Getting you to look holds no merit whatsoever.
Especially in a forum (Model mayhem) that has a cultivated culture to look when told.

What holds merit is if you can get the interaction. His instagram for example only has 140 or so followers in the space of about 4 months. Which is modest, nothing wrong with that. I started my instagram 7 months ago, granted thats 3 more months than he but I've already gotten up to 1200 and I don't qualify myself as savvy. Far from it.  It just seemed more like a person who just wanted us to see his profile. Which we have done. Had he really truly been savvy then this conversation could go further. Alternatively, had this been honest at the start and he wanted to have our opinion about social then a genuine conversation could have occurred.

But to start by saying how savvy he is at social media and how he stays up with the curve yet barely have any followers on any of his social media  just makes me question whether he really wants our opinion or if he just wants us to look at his profile.  I guess I was just after transparency.

interesting points.  Basically I was looking for thoughts and inspiration about which social media tools folks use for which,  With my music promotion I use Facebook and Reverbnation and Twitter more prominently, whereas Instagram Model Mayhem, Facebook, Tumblr, Flickr  are more useful tools for my art of modeling, photography and poetry.

I was not fishing for views as much as I was looking for opinions and insights smile

Apr 06 15 12:20 pm Link

Model

SKULLY

ValHig wrote:
Use each platform in the appropriate way for that platform. People talk about 'social media' as if the sites are identical and it's a mistake to treat them as such (especially when people have identical cross posts).

Instagram is good for BTS stuff, previews, showing off final images, hashtagging the shit out of everything, and posting as you're shooting. Flickr and Tumblr are really more for the final product. Facebook is good for maintaining communication with an existing following as well as the same sort of content as you have on instagram (but you're better off posting it separately rather than linking people to another network... too much of that gets old really quickly. My pet peeve is Twitter accounts that only feature links to Instagram photos. Just why?!). Since you're maintaining them separately, think before you open an account and have a good reason for doing it rather than 'to be on Twitter'.

But ultimately you will repeat some images. Otherwise your presence will be really disjointed.

VERY WELL SAID!

Apr 06 15 12:21 pm Link