Allen Carbon

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

through the classic movie endings.

(just going through Walking dead again)

1. Zombie related outbreak
2. Nuclear Holocaust
3. Technological or AI dominance
4. Alien Invasion
5. Disease or pathogen related outbreak.
6. Comet
7. Earth Related / earthquake
8. A supervillain with an outrageous plan.

I think I've covered all the classic troupes.
Which one do you think you'd want?

Apr 01 15 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

I'll start.

I'd like Zombie Related and if I get to choose which zombies then more Walking Dead than the 28 days later or I am Legend, World War Z zombies.

I wouldn't mind an AI related invasion too. I've been saying nice my please and thank yous to 'Hello Google' so at least when Google becomes sentient, they would remember me as a nice person.

Apr 01 15 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Stringham

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I'd prefer it was something I could actually fight against vs watching the world end without any fighting chance at all.

Apr 01 15 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

CNP Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I hate to be too terribly picky but with the exception of the comet (if it was a gawd awful huge one) none of the things on that list would result in the end of the world. The end of civilization, maybe. End of the human race, possible. End of all life on Earth, theoretically. But despite Zombies or AI or killer diseases the world (Earth) will continue orbiting the Sun as it has for the past 5 billion years or so and will continue to do so until the Sun itself finally dies.

Apr 01 15 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I would pick alien invasion. seeing alien weaponry... how cool would that be, cause I'm sure they would have some scary stuff. like those tripods in "war of the worlds" with tom cruise. remember that scene when the tripod is standing there on the street...with all the people seeing it for the first time and then it starts unleashing its death ray and evaporating people right out of their clothes.....whoa. that scene made my jaw drop. too bad the rest of the movie was fairly ho hum.

Apr 01 15 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

I don't vote for politicians because I refuse to support even the least of two (or more) evils.  There is no way I could pick the greatest of 8 evils!

But while I abstained from picking, I'd secretly hope it was disease cause by a lack of telephone sanitation.

Apr 01 15 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
I would pick alien invasion. seeing alien weaponry... how cool would that be, cause I'm sure they would have some scary stuff. like those tripods in "war of the worlds" with tom cruise. remember that scene when the tripod is standing there on the street...with all the people seeing it for the first time and then it starts unleashing its death ray and evaporating people right out of their clothes.....whoa. that scene made my jaw drop. too bad the rest of the movie was fairly ho hum.

I know! that movie had soo much potential, but then it jumped the shark for me when entire military and governments could not bring the tripod down.
And good old tommy, a house husband took one done.

Apr 01 15 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Schlake wrote:
I don't vote for politicians because I refuse to support even the least of two (or more) evils.  There is no way I could pick the greatest of 8 evils!

But while I abstained from picking, I'd secretly hope it was disease cause by a lack of telephone sanitation.

lol

Apr 01 15 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Demolished to make way for a new hyperspace bypass

Apr 01 15 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Wye wrote:

Fun fact,

My name is Allen-Marvin.
I'm named marvin cause my parents absolutely loved Hitchhikers

Apr 01 15 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

- Phil H -

Mildenhall, England, United Kingdom

Wye wrote:

As long as there's enough warning to make dinner reservations at Milliways (and get there) I can live with this.

Apr 01 15 06:24 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Not with a bang but a whimper.

Zombie apocalypse it is.

Or someone finally pushing the red button....

Apr 01 15 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

CNP Photography wrote:
I hate to be too terribly picky but with the exception of the comet (if it was a gawd awful huge one) none of the things on that list would result in the end of the world. The end of civilization, maybe. End of the human race, possible. End of all life on Earth, theoretically. But despite Zombies or AI or killer diseases the world (Earth) will continue orbiting the Sun as it has for the past 5 billion years or so and will continue to do so until the Sun itself finally dies.

+1

I was thinking probably the comet... or better yet, a maverick black hole that sucks up the entire solar system, sun and all.  Neat and tidy. 

Or.. maybe just a few drops of strategically placed "red matter" would do the job.  (Is that number 8?)

Apr 01 15 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

CNP Photography wrote:

This^^

Apr 01 15 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

CNP Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Amazing movie about the end of the world: Melancholia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHMy6abqq04

Probably not a good idea to watch the movie if you are prone to depression, tho.

Apr 01 15 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Electricity stops working.  Everyone goes mad without their cellphones.

Apr 01 15 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

CNP Photography wrote:

Actually, it's possible (but not very probable) that a passing star could enter the inner solar system and dislodge the earth from it's orbit around the sun, either sending it to wander on it's own, or being captured by the passing star.  The orbits of the planets are not fixed and immutable.  Given the proper external influence, they can, and have bounced around a bit.

Apr 01 15 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

The earth as a planet is not likely to end before the sun enlarges and cooks it, billions of year on.

Life on earth? - I'd guess that something will still be living on earth and get fried, even then -
Life just is.... just about every natural disaster imaginable has happened already at some point to earth - and life continued - Deccan traps eruption - massive impacts - global deep freezes - life doesn't have to be much - but, it is tenacious and as long as there is water and a source of natural energy - some life will go on.

Human life on earth? - we have an amazing capacity to exterminate other life forms and degrade the tiny habitable sliver of this planet that we can actually survive in.  Given the statistics of the rise and extinction in the lifespan of species on earth  humans are pretty much at the end of their bell curve.  As I've gotten older, it looks more and more like our goose is already cooked - (not in my lifetime - but, I don't have very high hopes for the Y3K party.)  Resource depletion of some kind, will tip things into chaos and the struggle to survive on a planet that cannot naturally support 6 billion people will end it for most.  Humans might limp along for a while - but, something else that is new and more aggressive will rise eventually and take our last remaining niches.  ("Mad Max" - Plus another 5000 years)

Apr 01 15 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Cancer.

Apr 01 15 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

An alien mothership preferably a reptilian one firing a few 3000-ton ferric-tungsten rounds at earth at 12,000 kilometers per second,[3] or 4% of the speed of light, each round impacting with a massive amount of kinetic energy. Now using a formula for kinetic energy, KE = 0.5 * m * v2, the force of each shot will be, 0.5 * 3'000'000 * 11991698.322, which is 2.15701e20. Given that a kiloton = 4184000000000 joules, then each shot produces 51553834.34 Kilotons of force (51553.83 Megatons, or 51.56 Gigatons). Thats how I want the world to end. I want Moscow, Washington D.C. and Beijing annihilated first though.

Apr 01 15 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

WOW, a few of you are very pedantic

I'm so so sorry, when I meant the hypothetical scenario of a fictional end of the world. I meant it in the way normal people perceive it.

thanks.

Apr 01 15 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Gerardo Martinez wrote:
An alien mothership preferably a reptilian one firing a few 3000-ton ferric-tungsten rounds at earth at 12,000 kilometers per second,[3] or 4% of the speed of light, each round impacting with a massive amount of kinetic energy. Now using a formula for kinetic energy, KE = 0.5 * m * v2, the force of each shot will be, 0.5 * 3'000'000 * 11991698.322, which is 2.15701e20. Given that a kiloton = 4184000000000 joules, then each shot produces 51553834.34 Kilotons of force (51553.83 Megatons, or 51.56 Gigatons). Thats how I want the world to end. I want Moscow, Washington D.C. and Beijing annihilated first though.

Is that from somewhere?

If yes: Great reference
If no: Great. I appreciate you even more.

Apr 01 15 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Allen Carbon wrote:
Is that from somewhere?

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Magnetic_Accelerator_Cannon (scroll down to Mark V "Super MAC")

Oh, and I would go with #5 (Disease or pathogen related outbreak) because The Andromeda Strain (I guess that's technically 4 and 5)

Apr 01 15 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

Igoumenítsa, Kentriki Ellada, Greece

1. Zombie related outbreak
2. Nuclear Holocaust
3. Technological or AI dominance
4. Alien Invasion
5. Disease or pathogen related outbreak.
6. Comet
7. Earth Related / earthquake
8. A supervillain with an outrageous plan.  = all of them already been done, boring, boring, BoRiNg

9. One morning, on a sunrise like any other, every human on the planet finds themselves unable to tell a lie, and by the following dawn our civilization has destroyed itself in spectacular ways we never though imaginable.

Apr 01 15 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

The Grey Forest wrote:
9. One morning, on a sunrise like any other, every human on the planet finds themselves unable to tell a lie, and by the following dawn our civilization has destroyed itself in spectacular ways we never though imaginable.

Huh. In 1961, when nuclear annihilation was regarded as an imminent outcome, an episode of The Twilight Zone implied that compulsory truth-telling would actually save the world.

Apr 02 15 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Allen Carbon wrote:

Is that from somewhere?

If yes: Great reference
If no: Great. I appreciate you even more.

Halo dude

Apr 02 15 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Joel Sax

TRABUCO CANYON, California, US

Hmm.  I always thought the choice was fire or ice.

Or was it a bang or a whimper?

Apr 02 15 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

HHPhoto wrote:

+1

I was thinking probably the comet... or better yet, a maverick black hole that sucks up the entire solar system, sun and all.  Neat and tidy. 

Or.. maybe just a few drops of strategically placed "red matter" would do the job.  (Is that number 8?)

I go with black hole
We all get sucked to death

Apr 02 15 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

CNP Photography wrote:

Probably not a good idea to watch the movie if you are prone to depression, tho.

I basicly heard this movie consists of 2 people basicly sobbing through the entire thing and only 5 minutes of world endng damage

I will pass

Apr 02 15 06:44 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

God, having gone absolutely bat poop crazy from being, well, you know, omnipotent and everything, suddenly announces Its presence by screaming, world wide, "You wanted proof! You wanted proof! A big flood wasn't enough?"

Then an 800 pound thumb materializes in thin air, above every man, woman, and child, and squashes them.

Except for Justin Bieber. God thinks the Beebs is hunky dory and lets him live.

Apr 02 15 06:54 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

I think I'll go with an AI rebellion or alien invasion, at least then we will know if the governments of the world really do have secret stuff stashed away for this kind of situation. lol

Apr 02 15 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Chris Rifkin wrote:
I basicly heard this movie consists of 2 people basicly sobbing through the entire thing and only 5 minutes of world endng damage

I will pass

Pretty accurate synopsis, but Kirsten Dunst spends a lot/some of the movie naked, so it's worth a watch.  Keep some antidepressants handy though. tongue

Apr 02 15 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Mikell

San Francisco, California, US

considering the industrial complex  my studio is in of the choices offered I'd go with the walking dead style zombie apocalypse, location is perfect and there's enough resources to hold up for years
but since I already have the jacket I'd prefer a Mad Max type global meltdown

or maybe combine the two

Apr 02 15 07:44 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

The end will come when the napping alien awakens and realizes it was all just a dream.

Apr 02 15 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

mikell wrote:
considering the industrial complex  my studio is in of the choices offered I'd go with the walking dead style zombie apocalypse, location is perfect and there's enough resources to hold up for years
but since I already have the jacket I'd prefer a Mad Max type global meltdown

or maybe combine the two

YES PLEASE.

Apr 02 15 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Just a big white blast of light.  Then nothing.

Apr 02 15 05:14 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Jim Ball wrote:
Actually, it's possible (but not very probable) that a passing star could enter the inner solar system and dislodge the earth from it's orbit around the sun, either sending it to wander on it's own, or being captured by the passing star.  The orbits of the planets are not fixed and immutable.  Given the proper external influence, they can, and have bounced around a bit.

Does the knowledge of our complete insignificance in the grand scheme of things keep anyone else from sleeping?

I had to quit star gazing years ago.
Always makes me depressed. Or deviant.
Moral ambivalence is such a bitch...

Apr 02 15 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

big giant space fish just comes and swallows us up. from there, you can guess the rest...

Apr 02 15 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Sax

CNP Photography wrote:

I don't know.  I suffer from depression and I thought the movie was spot on.  Notice how the depressed woman handled the end better than her nondepressed sister.

Apr 02 15 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Sax

ernst tischler wrote:
The end will come when the napping alien awakens and realizes it was all just a dream.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

("In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.")

Apr 02 15 06:29 pm Link