Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > How do you drink your gin-tonic?

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

So I am trying gin-tonic for the first time in my life, and after a cozy and educational chat at the liquor store, I went home with Fever-Tree tonic and (the regular) Tanqueray.

First impression: not bad!! I have never had tonic before and am really surprised about its very perfumed smell. I don't have icecubes at the moment which I know is a loss, and I haven't added garnish.

How do you drink your gin-tonic? With/without icecubes? Garnish?

PS: I am a sweet-tooth, so this drink is a challenge for me. What can I do to make it sweeter, or even add a bit of fruity taste?

Apr 14 15 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

I replaced the gin with Stoly, and pour the gin down the drain. wink

Apr 14 15 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

It's a wonderful summer afternoon drink.

On the rocks--with ice, that is, for foreigners--in a tall glass.

Unlike vodka, which is intended to have no flavor, gin is flavored by juniper berries.

I love gin.

And have been known to drink tonic water without gin.

Love the tart taste.

Have fun!

Apr 14 15 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Try adding a little bit of lime juice. And, as  RBD said above, a little ice-cold tonic without gin and a bit of lime (my contribution) is really quite refreshing on a hot day.

Apr 14 15 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

RINALDI wrote:
So I am trying gin-tonic for the first time in my life, and after a cozy and educational chat at the liquor store, I went home with Fever-Tree tonic and (the regular) Tanqueray.

First impression: not bad!! I have never had tonic before and am really surprised about its very perfumed smell. I don't have icecubes at the moment which I know is a loss, and I haven't added garnish.

How do you drink your gin-tonic? With/without icecubes? Garnish?

PS: I am a sweet-tooth, so this drink is a challenge for me. What can I do to make it sweeter, or even add a bit of fruity taste?

Try several different tonic waters, some are sweeter than others. Garnish w/sweet fruits.

Apr 14 15 03:42 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I prefer vodka tonic at home but I'll order gin and tonic at a bar every time, it's kind of become my drink. Good gin is a must. I'm never on the good ($30+) vodka train because it is rare anyone drinks it straight but gin is downright disgusting when it is cheap. Good gin, try different tonic waters and if you really want the sweet element use simple syrup you can keep in your fridge for months. One ice cube in mine if the gin has been in the freezer and tonic water is cold. Three if they are warm. Lime is a must. A MUST.

Apr 14 15 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Lime is a must. A MUST.

Chuckles. That's what my landlord (boss) said when I tended bar in the U.K. lol

Apr 14 15 04:08 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lohkee wrote:

Chuckles. That's what my landlord (boss) said when I tended bar in the U.K. lol

I can't even imagine it without lime. It's just plain gin and tonic. It's not even a drink!

Apr 14 15 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Model Sarah wrote:

I can't even imagine it without lime. It's just plain gin and tonic. It's not even a drink!

My landlord's language was considerably more colorful than yours, but I can safety say the two of you are in complete agreement. lol

Apr 14 15 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Beefeater is a big brand here.  We use calamansi which is a lot like lime.  Think I'll have one today.  It is summer here in the Philippines and a good drink to get out of the heat.  Cheers.

Apr 14 15 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

With hopes the OP will forgive me--I have no intent to hijack this important thread--here's a link to another beyond great lime flavored drink.

For, perhaps, after the summer day gin and tonic.

Vodka gimlet.

When I googled it, this is the link I found:

http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men/cock … dka-gimlet

Look familiar?

RBD

Apr 14 15 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

She won't let me lick her..

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150413/01/552b80e2d4a43_m.jpg

Apr 14 15 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

I used to drink gin and tonic all the time. With lime, of course. A couple of years ago, in an attempt to lose a bit of weight, I started drinking tonic alone (with lime, of course). It was very pleasant, and I drank a lot of it. Really a lot of it. Until I had an allergic reaction. Keep in mind that tonic, a.k.a. quinine water, has been used medicinally for a century or more. It's got to have some serious juju, and drinking a lot of it can cause problems, as it did for me. The moral of the story is to drink your tonic with gin so you'll pass out before drinking too much of it.

Apr 14 15 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

clear spirits are for pikers. tongue if you need to mix it, you should nix it.

i think i drank a few g&t's in college, when it lent a false air of urbanity (i.e., faux sophistication), that distanced itself from the standard swill crowd. ah, the follies of youth. smile

Apr 14 15 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

As Scotch (single malt), neat with a water back or a nice single barrel bourbon.

Never much of a Gin person (plus I'm allergic to juniper).

Apr 14 15 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

GK photo wrote:
i think i drank a few g&t's in college, when it lent a false air of urbanity (i.e., faux sophistication), that distanced itself from the standard swill crowd. ah, the follies of youth. smile

Where did you go to school?

SC?

RBD

Apr 14 15 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

GK photo wrote:
clear spirits are for pikers. tongue if you need to mix it, you should nix it.

Total BS. Not a gin fan, but I'll take a bloody mary or a margarita any ol' day. Neat is for the effete. big_smile

Apr 14 15 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

kickfight wrote:
Neat is for the effete. big_smile

effete you! tongue  lol

although i will say, that pescatore in north beach concocts a very sublime bloody mary. smile

Apr 14 15 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Model Sarah wrote:
I prefer vodka tonic at home but I'll order gin and tonic at a bar every time, it's kind of become my drink. Good gin is a must. I'm never on the good ($30+) vodka train because it is rare anyone drinks it straight but gin is downright disgusting when it is cheap. Good gin, try different tonic waters and if you really want the sweet element use simple syrup you can keep in your fridge for months. One ice cube in mine if the gin has been in the freezer and tonic water is cold. Three if they are warm. Lime is a must. A MUST.

I will do either, but damn, I love a good top-shelf vodka martini.

Apr 15 15 12:00 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

DougBPhoto wrote:
I will do either, but damn, I love a good top-shelf vodka martini.

sure, and you drive an astin martin, and holster a .25 beretta (or walther ppk), right? smile

Apr 15 15 12:05 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

GK photo wrote:
sure, and you drive an astin martin, and holster a .25 beretta (or walther ppk), right? smile

PPK

shhhh, I may still have a BMW and a Lotus Turbo Esprit floating around...

still, I would not refuse either a gin and tonic or a jin and tonic

Apr 15 15 12:18 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

kickfight wrote:
Neat is for the effete. big_smile

GK photo wrote:
effete you! tongue  lol

No... effete YOU. lol

GK photo wrote:
although i will say, that pescatore in north beach concocts a very sublime bloody mary. smile

Ya gotta love a proper bloody mary. cool

Apr 15 15 12:22 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

kickfight wrote:
Ya gotta love a proper bloody mary. cool

yeah, but i've literally tried hundreds (or one, from hundreds of places), and that was the only one i'd order a second time. i'd give away the secret ingredient, but i swore an oath of secrecy (to the barkeep, for having divulged it). and he only gave it up after i kept needling him for two hours.

but, truth be told...it didn't require any chichi vodka. any garden variety plastic bottled stuff will/would suffice.

for all i know, he was bsing me. i haven't tried to recreate it myself. it was fucking divine. to that i can attest.

Apr 15 15 12:28 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

GK photo wrote:
yeah, but i've literally tried hundreds (or one from hundreds of places), and that was the only one i'd order a second time. i'd give away the secret ingredient, but i swore an oath of secrecy (to the barkeep for having divulged it). and he only gave it up after i kept needling him for two hours.

for all i know, he was bsing me. i haven't tried to recreate it myself. it was fucking divine. to that i can attest.

Just come across with the goods. tongue What was the "secret ingredient"?

GK photo wrote:
but, truth be told...it didn't require any chichi vodka. any garden variety plastic bottled stuff will/would suffice.

A superior bloody mary doesn't need fancy vodka, agreed on that.

Apr 15 15 12:32 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

kickfight wrote:
Just come across with the goods. tongue What was the "secret ingredient"?

next time you're in san francisco, go there and get the goods from the man himself. smile if you don't think it's the best bm you've ever had, hit me up, and i'll paypal you the funds for the round. honor is important to me. smile

but i will say this (and it isn't the secret ingredient). any bm that doesn't use freshly ground horseradish is not worthy of getting past your teeth. i've learned that from years of searching. smile

Apr 15 15 12:34 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

GK photo wrote:
next time you're in san francisco, go there and get the goods from the man himself. smile if you don't think it's the best bm you've ever had, hit me up, and i'll paypal you the funds for the round. honor is important to me. smile

OK, fair enough. My wife and I love parking it for a couple days at The Boheme on Columbus now and again for old times' sake (we lived In SF for 2 years after we left Dull-Ass) so we'll hit 'em up.

GK photo wrote:
any bm that doesn't use freshly ground horseradish is not worthy of getting past your teeth.

Eh, that can be tricky. A slightly-heavy hand can overwhelm the other flavors.

Apr 15 15 12:37 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

kickfight wrote:
OK, fair enough. My wife and I love parking it for a couple days at The Boheme on Columbus now and again for old times' sake (we lived In SF for 2 years after we left Dull-Ass) so we'll hit 'em up.

walk northwest (on columbus), turn right (true north) on mason, and you'll get there in five minutes, or less. smile

and for west of the mississipi, they make a pretty decent margherita pizza, as well.

and i didn't say to slather on the hr. but using the creamed shit is a bush league move.

Apr 15 15 12:45 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

GK photo wrote:
walk northwest (on columbus), turn right (true north) on mason, and you'll get there in five minutes, or less. smile

and for west of the mississipi, they make a pretty decent margherita pizza, as well.

borat

GK photo wrote:
and i didn't say to slather on the hr. but using the creamed shit is a bush league move.

Frankly I'm far less concerned with what they use and more with how well the correct ingredients are combined (ensuring that they don't try to turn it into some kind of damn potable salad tongue)  But I am looking forward to trying this recommendation.

Apr 15 15 12:50 am Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Wow, I knew I could leave this thread in good care overnight haha...lots of replies wink

Ok, so drink it cold with cubes, and always with some lime. I also read vodka-tonic somewhere, and loads of bloody mary big_smile

Apr 15 15 01:21 am Link

Photographer

E H

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Tequila, Crown Royal, Jack Daniel's, Scotch and 7 and some Prince Charles Drambuie, NEVER GIN...

Apr 15 15 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'd rather drink Pine Sol than gin (they taste about the same) and since the danger of my getting malaria is sufficiently low I can safely avoid the awful flavor of tonic water.

So my preferred gin and tonic is a vodka martini, straight up with an embarassment of olives please and thank you.

Apr 15 15 04:20 am Link

Photographer

RINALDI

I found another way! Not sure how these are called in the US, but they are essentially flavored water that you have to freeze before consumption.

https://www.copar.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/6995-coolstick-nieuw-design-1024x756.jpg

I just used the lemon flavored one instead of cubes, and...this is a really nice drink, soooo different than without cubes/cold lol big_smile

Apr 15 15 05:28 am Link

Model

Blues

Petaluma, California, US

Hendricks, quality tonic, and a slice of cucumber -  or Tanqueray Ten with a slice of lime depending on my mood.

Apr 16 15 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

I don't drink mixed drinks like this often, but gin & tonic definitely has it's time and place.

I like it exactly one way, plain and simple: very cold, on ice in a large glass that's not too narrow, with a slice of lime per ounce of gin. A water glass would work well for me.

I'm not a connoisseur of gin, so Tanqueray, Blue Sapphire, etc., works fine for me. Ditto for the tonic. Schweppes or generic is fine.

https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=111434692

It's a drink I would like on a hot or humid summer day. Maybe in a tropical location, on a veranda, around late afternoon to sunset. In that case, it would be nice to share from an icy pitcher.

It's a drink that takes the edge off before going out for dinner after a long grimy day of selling things from a booth at a trade show in a convention center. If it's a convention center drink from one of those roll-around liquor carts, I would ask for three or four and dump them together into something like a medium or large Coke or Pepsi cup. It's a good drink for packing up things in my booth while getting ready to leave for the day.

---

If it was a vodka martini, I would be more picky about the vodka and dry vermouth, and the way the drink was constructed. That would also be at a time and place where I could relax and savor my drink and conversation more slowly and intimately.

Apr 16 15 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

If gin & tonic was a gun, I would call it a 9mm Glock - it throws a lot of lead down range with moderate to light stopping power.

Apr 16 15 02:24 pm Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

Tall glass, several ice cubes, two or three lime slices squeezed over the ice, two or three fingers of Tanqueray or Tanqueray Rangpur poured in, and topped with any brand of tonic.  Then a lime slice is rubbed on the rim and dropped in the glass.  Delicious!  Perfect on a hot day.

Apr 16 15 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Click Hamilton wrote:
How do you drink your gin-tonic?.

with pleasure, enthusiasm and dedication

Apr 16 15 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

scrymettet wrote:
with pleasure, enthusiasm and dedication

Eloquently spoken, Sir.

Apr 16 15 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Click Hamilton wrote:
If gin & tonic was a gun, I would call it a 9mm Glock - it throws a lot of lead down range with moderate to light stopping power.

lol now THAT was funny!

Apr 16 15 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

BeatnikDiva wrote:
Tall glass, several ice cubes, two or three lime slices squeezed over the ice, two or three fingers of Tanqueray or Tanqueray Rangpur poured in, and topped with any brand of tonic.  Then a lime slice is rubbed on the rim and dropped in the glass.  Delicious!  Perfect on a hot day.

way too much effort, for such a pedestrian cocktail. tongue

Apr 16 15 09:17 pm Link