Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > The problem with too much money.

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

If you had a $€£¥load of money, what do you think ( yeah you and me can only think about it right now,  you brokeassed paupers) would be your biggest problem ?
Mine would be having too many choices;even giving some ( yeah some, not all ! I am selfish like that. ) of it away would be a dilemma; so many needy and scam-my people in the world, who all to give to ? Should I give to Jojo or not ....?
Btw, it's not 4:30am but 5:00 pm where I am at, so don't judge me ( that I am loser who posts in MM forums at 4 in the morning).

Apr 17 15 04:20 am Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

Bobby C wrote:
If you had a $€£¥ load of money, what do you think ( yeah you and me can only think about it right now,  you broke assed paupers) would be your biggest problem ?
Mine would be having too many choices;even giving some ( yeah some, not all ! I am selfish like that. ) of it away would be a dilemma; so many needy and scam-my people in the world, who all to give to ? Should I give to Jojo or not ....?
Btw, it's not 4:30am but 5:00 pm where I am at, so don't judge me ( that I am loser who posts in MM forums at 4 in the morning).

Biggest problem.  Hmmmmm?????

Probably that it wouldn't change anything.  Like other people, I blame shit ($€£¥) on things like "not having enough money, time, connections, etc".  If any of those excuses were removed I'd have to face the harsh realities of my own shortcomings on their own terms.  Then I could blame no one but myself.

Wherever you go, there you are.

PS - My judgements of you have nothing to do with the timestamp on your post...

Apr 17 15 08:35 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

The problem with having too much money is spending it all before you die. That takes alot of planning!

Apr 17 15 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

There was (is?) a television show on the air that caught up with lottery winners year(s) after their win. The show fascinated me for awhile. Some of them went bankrupt shortly thereafter and a few of them had family squabbles that got so bad they wished they'd never won in the first place. I think one of them involved a murder or some horrible crime. I remember thinking at the time that I'd be better than all that. What hubris, huh? In any event the problems they had were around the inability to control their spending and poor communication skills with friends and relatives. I might be susceptible to both of these conditions but I would hope not.

BTW, what a loser you are to not have anything better to do at 5:00 pm than post on MM. Kidding. What I'm really angry at you for is getting me stuck on YouTube's "past lottery winners". I'll probably be there all afternoon now.

Apr 17 15 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

Obviously the biggest problem for most people is everyone you know would expect some and would in their minds imagine a certain amount. think of all the people you know...brothers,sisters,friends,co-workers, all thinking they are due some.

Apr 17 15 02:25 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
Obviously the biggest problem for most people is everyone you know would expect some and would in their minds imagine a certain amount. think of all the people you know...brothers,sisters,friends,co-workers, all thinking they are due some.

I'd give certain people in my life just a ridiculously overpaid and simple part time "job," such as my bestie J, to come to America for a month and be my personal chef ( he is a chef and used to love to cook for us, also he visits each year anyways to shop and nom ) for two days a week or something like that. He would get stupid spending money and his own chauffeur - nay helicopter pilot to the market. We would have a riot. 

Other certain individuals in my life I'd take a discreet hit out on with my money.

Then there is the Catio ( cat patio for the infidels) I need to think up for my savages, and shop for mommy's nice new Camaro in whore red.

I think that'll keep me occupied until I figure out whom to donate to.

Apr 17 15 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

too much money is a problem that I've never had.

Apr 17 15 05:47 pm Link

Apr 17 15 11:50 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

As for the question at hand, hummm, money wouldn't affect me negatively, it would only be a joy.

The troubles that I would expect that would come with a ridiculous amount of money would be (in speculation):

- Wondering if people like you for you and not your money
- Relatives, friends feeling entitled to x because of your wealth
- Cold-callers for stocks, franchises, exorbitant communique regarding how to invest money
- Shady accountants, lawyers, etc.
- Thievery in general
- A lock on the front door is not enough... security systems galore, multiple screens to monitor, investment in Spyshop items to protect
- Judgment by strangers on who you are based on the money you make and the resentment that follows
- Resentment from 'real' friends/lovers, etc.
- The money becomes a part of 'who you are'... without it, would you be loved?  How would you know unless you lost it all

So many variables.

Me?  I wouldn't be stupid with an overflow... not at all.

Apr 17 15 11:57 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

If anyone is experiencing problems associated with having too much money, please call me, I can help.

Apr 18 15 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Jules NYC wrote:
http://qz.com/383096/after-reading-an-a … 00-a-year/

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/14/bu … .html?_r=2

Geez, I like Dan.

You like Dan for who he is or for how much money he has ? smile

Apr 18 15 02:26 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Bobby C wrote:
You like Dan for who he is or for how much money he has ? smile

The first.
I like Dan because he wants his employees to be happy and reduced his pay to 70K.  That's amazing for a CEO.
The fact he's good-looking helps his philanthropic efforts.

I never been asked that question before.
Most people I've been in a relationship with didn't have much.

Apr 18 15 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Sax

TRABUCO CANYON, California, US

Bobby C wrote:
If you had a $€£¥load of money, what do you think ( yeah you and me can only think about it right now,  you brokeassed paupers) would be your biggest problem ?

Deciding where to travel, how long to stay there, how best to prepare myself.

Equipment?  That would be easy.

Apr 18 15 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Gryph

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The F-Stop wrote:
The problem with having too much money is spending it all before you die. That takes alot of planning!

Bet all your money on the Knicks. tongue

Apr 18 15 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Gryph wrote:

Bet all your money on the Knicks. tongue

Send it to me.   smile

Apr 18 15 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Bobby C wrote:

As someone who has had "money" in my life... I can safely say, I don't have problems with having money... and with having more money, the lifestyle adjusts and in some ways..., you always have to look at what you are spending... it's just in larger dimensions.

Personally... I never indulged into a lavish lifestyle then... instead of having a fancy sportscar... I had a used Chevy Tahoe... instead of getting nuts with glitzy parties... I went either hiking on the weekends, or wreck diving.

I would and will be more than happy, if I will make a shitload of money again, living full time as an artist, especially a painter and being able to travel and to have a self-sufficient cabin in the Catskills. This in addition to a fantastic and rustic loft in Manhattan or Brooklyn, where I can paint and do photoshoots... with a nice terrace, where friends can come over, having quality time over some tea, wine or beer, while eating sourdough baguette, with a fancy oil, crushed seasalt, some corners of a good cheese and a selection of fresh olives, while we have stimulating conversations and listening to cool music.

If you are financially independent, life can be great!

The only thing is... chose your life partner wisely... someone who doesn't give a shit about your money... not just lip service... like my 2nd wife, who run away when my company and my money went South... evilgrin

Apr 18 15 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby C

udor wrote:

As someone who has had "money" in my life... I can safely say, I don't have problems with having money... and with having more money, the lifestyle adjusts and in some ways..., you always have to look at what you are spending... it's just in larger dimensions.

Personally... I never indulged into a lavish lifestyle then... instead of having a fancy sportscar... I had a used Chevy Tahoe... instead of getting nuts with glitzy parties... I went either hiking on the weekends, or wreck diving.

I would and will be more than happy, if I will make a shitload of money again, living full time as an artist, especially a painter and being able to travel and to have a self-sufficient cabin in the Catskills. This in addition to a fantastic and rustic loft in Manhattan or Brooklyn, where I can paint and do photoshoots... with a nice terrace, where friends can come over, having quality time over some tea, wine or beer, while eating sourdough baguette, with a fancy oil, crushed seasalt, some corners of a good cheese and a selection of fresh olives, while we have stimulating conversations and listening to cool music.

If you are financially independent, life can be great!

The only thing is... chose your life partner wisely... someone who doesn't give a shit about your money... not just lip service... like my 2nd wife, who run away when my company and my money went South... evilgrin

Did you hook up with your 2nd wife in a bar in Thailand ? smile
Btw, does the seasalt in your bohemian fantasy land HAVE to be crushed or would it be ok if it was a bit chunky ? smile

Apr 22 15 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

Mine would probably be, all the people asking me for $$$$. Otherwise, I'd still continue on in the same lifestyle I'm living now. I just have more stuffed away in my savings account.

Honestly, as a child growing up - we had a lot of money. Parents did very, very well for themselves. Mom still does, dad has his moments. BUT... I like myself better now, without the money and without the rich parents, than I did when I had easy access to everything, $$$$ to spend and we traveled all over the place. Go figure.

Apr 22 15 07:07 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Bobby C wrote:

Did you hook up with your 2nd wife in a bar in Thailand ? smile
Btw, does the seasalt in your bohemian fantasy land HAVE to be crushed or would it be ok if it was a bit chunky ? smile

LOL... nope... I've met my second ex-wife inline skating at Chelsea Piers in NYC.

... and yeah... crushed sea salt, either in a grinder or pre-crushed, sprinkling with the fingers.

Btw., I am already living this to a certain extend with my friends... just not yet in the living quarters I envision for the future... smile

Apr 23 15 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bobby C wrote:
what do you think would be your biggest problem ?

Figuring out where to put it.

FDIC only insures up to $250,000 per account type per institution. So if you suddenly came into $1 billion, you would need to set up 4,000 accounts (at different banks) to be covered.

Same deal if you invest.... SPIC only insures up to $500K per brokerage house, so you would need to find 2,000 different brokerage houses to be fully insured against some sort of failure.

Apr 23 15 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

Figuring out where to put it.
e.

Bury it in the desert a la  Walter White.

Apr 23 15 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

dunno, but I am willing to try

Apr 23 15 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

still-photography wrote:
Wherever you go, there you are.

Haha isn't that Buckaroo Banzai?

I think of things like people who win big on things like lotto, and $10 or $20 million isn't really a big amount.  One could live their life on this comfortably but it's not really a huge windfall.

I don't think I'd change. I'd do the same things I do now only I might do them in a different manner.  Life wouldn't change. I might buy one or two homes as investments and use them for that purpose but I'd keep things as they are now...

I've seen how such big wins have totally changed people and turned them into total wrecks, or they blow the lot in a very short time on trinkets.   That just is not good IMHO...

Apr 23 15 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

John Photography wrote:
or they blow the lot in a very short time on trinkets.   That just is not good IMHO...

It's good for the people who sell trinkets.

Apr 23 15 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

It's good for the people who sell trinkets.

True..

But in our local papers a year or two ago a guy won $10 or 20 million in X Lotto and in less then 6 months had blown the lot. Cars, boats, boozing and schmoozing.

Apr 23 15 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

The problem with too much money.

I would said:
- higher probablity to draw unwanted attention
- don't be able to live freely, while avoiding destructive excesses, spending time to accumulate money instead of use it on a good way
- substantial impossibility of an efficient management of their own personal finances

Frankly I would like being in similar conditions despite these issues where the first is the only one really problematic that can't be fixed.
While with a lot of money, but don't too much money, would be something ideal, since is more easy avoid the first point.

Apr 24 15 04:43 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

John Photography wrote:
But in our local papers a year or two ago a guy won $10 or 20 million in X Lotto and in less then 6 months had blown the lot. Cars, boats, boozing and schmoozing.

Well, I bet he had one heck of a good time

Apr 24 15 08:45 am Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I would want to live...

right now... eh... not so much

Apr 24 15 10:12 am Link