Forums > Photography Talk > Who uses yongnuo flashes?

Photographer

Mark Reeder

Huntsville, Ontario, Canada

Aside from a nikon all my small flashes are lumopros, which I totally love. I was wondering if those of you who use yongnuo  could share which model you use and why you like it. I don't know much about that brand but always hear people like them and the price generally seems very inexpensive. Looking to get a few back ups that basically don't cost much but do the job when I need extra flashes. Might just get a few more lumopros but if I can save a chunk of $ that would be cool.

Thanks.

May 22 15 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Claireemotions

Einsiedeln, Schwyz, Switzerland

I have 6 560tx and then 560tx controller.
The latest version is great can act as a slave or controller.  Fast recycle time.
Really cheap. My whole kit was less than 2 top of thinking canon/Nikon onions speedlights.  Yes I lose ttl functionality but the radio contropmakesmit was to adjust zoom and power output B group of strobes.  When I need more power I use up to 3 on a tri-flash.
They are also gerat to put into places where they might get damaged. Annoying but not breaking the bank.

I have another 560tx and the quality has definitely improved

May 22 15 08:28 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Just bought the YN560II, using PW's to trigger with.

May 22 15 08:58 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I think you'll find lots of users here of Yongnuo, Neewer and Godox Ving flashes, etc.

Different models with different strengths depending on what you're looking for.

Could you let us know how you're thinking of using them?  As manual optical slave flashes?  Manual flashes with remote triggering only?  Manual with remote flash power level control? TTL? Groups of TTL flashs? High speed sync or not?  Unusually heavy tentative battery usage or not (i.e. an external battery pack or a rechargeable solution)?

Lots of possibilities and different recommendations depending...

May 22 15 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Ruddick

London, Ontario, Canada

I have the YN560III with a remote trigger, they work well and are reliable.

May 22 15 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Randy C Photography

Brooklyn, New York, US

i use neewer, same exact thing as youngnao 
mine does full iTTL and high speed sync up to 1/8000s

May 22 15 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Based on your Lumopro's, I'm going to take a guess that you're looking for a manual only flash, that uses either optical or radio remote triggering, with no need for high speed sync, TTL, or rechargeable battery packs.

IF I've guessed correctly, then you're looking at the Yonguo YN-560iii series.  Good, reliable, priced well and very popular.

Then maybe later, once you've got enough of them instead of mixing them in with the Lumopros, you could add either a YN560TX controller (to remotely set the power level of all of your YN-560 flashes) or a newer YN-560IV series flash which adds the ability to control the power levels of the other YN-560s from this master flash.  Handy features but no ability to adjust the power levels on your existing Lumopro's.

May 22 15 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

I've been using 2 of these:
Yongnuo YN560-III-USA Speedlite Flash with Integrated 2.4-GHz Receiver

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I44 … &psc=1

With these triggers:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HO0 … &psc=1

They work great, and have been reliable. One fell off a light stand about 6' off the ground, and hit the pavement directly. Battery cover and the red translucent plate snapped off, but didn't break. I just snapped them back on and continued to shoot. 

I use them for location shoots or when I need portability, in a Profoto softbox using this speeding:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F92 … &psc=1

May 22 15 01:51 pm Link

Retoucher

DrRetouch

Portland, Oregon, US

We have a couple YN560-III that work well.  Also two sets of Yongnuo RF 602's (RX/TX) (Nikon shooter).
I bought an extra RX/TX set a couple years ago, knowing that the one I use will fail when I need it most.  The replacement trigger is still in the unopened box. 

The battery door on the YN560-III is prone to break from reviews I've read.  The menu seems a bit glitchy at times as well.  I've been gentle with it and have lots of trouble free shots.

I plan to buy a lumapro as soon as the YN fails.  It may be a while. wink

May 22 15 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

I have three YN-560 IIIs and two YN-560 IVs. They're pretty much the same thing. I want to get another Mk IV soon to have 3 of each and then maybe some of their TTL flashes. I have a bunch of RF-603s for the camera and for pairing them with my strobes when needed.

May 22 15 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reeder

Thanks everyone. For those who guessed I was looking for manual flashes/optical slaves ya thats what I was looking for, Similar to the lumopros but cheaper. Was looking at the YN560-II but found a YN560-III that I can grab tomorrow so I'll try that out before I order more online.

Thank all for sharing and your suggestions. I appreciate it. Feel free to share images made with your yongnuo smile. I know light is light but maybe others looking for an inexpensive flash will like to see what can be done with these flashes.

May 22 15 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

Mark Reeder Photography wrote:
Thanks everyone. For those who guessed I was looking for manual flashes/optical slaves ya thats what I was looking for, Similar to the lumopros but cheaper. Was looking at the YN560-II but found a YN560-III that I can grab tomorrow so I'll try that out before I order more online.

The main difference between the II and the III or the IV is that the III/IV have a built in receiver so you don't have to attach a RF-602, RF-603, or RF-605 to them for them to work off camera, you just have to have a transceiver on the camera to trigger them. The II doesn't have a built in receiver so you have to have one of the RF units on the camera and on each flash.

May 22 15 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Chris David Photography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I have the YN585EXII, YN565EX and 4 x YN560. I started buying to replace my original Canon Speedlights as they started brokw down beyond a flashtube change and replacing with these were the most cost effective option then Canon's repair centre. 
The YN560 must be one of the oldest model but they work great for off camera manual strobist applications and I bought them for about $60 each back then. I'd often use them often with studio strobes or in high risk shoots where I there's a greater risk of equipment damage - they cheap enough to be throwaways should something happen to them.

The YN565EX ($180) works fine for most my cameras with a few little bugs which needed workarounds. The YN585EX ($198) probably has been closest to perfect but have an issue that battery door kept breaking and needed rubberbands to hold in place. Cheap part to fix but had to stock a few of them as happens at least twice a year.

I paid $899 for my original Canon 550EX, $699 for 580EX and $599 for 580EXII back then so shows have pricing have come down over the years. You can get 3 of the Yongnuos ETTL HS offerings 585EXII and above for less then a Canon

May 22 15 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have a small crate of YN560-II lights and I love them...they are total workhorses. Whenever I have to do corporate shoots where I'm photographing people walking in against a step-and-repeat or other backdrop, I used to bring my alien bees or einsteins but no more. I just setup two light stands, two mounting brackets, the Yongnuos, and two umbrella soft boxes and I'm of to the races in 1/4 the time and I don't have cables running anywhere either. One of the best investments I ever did in photography was buying a 5 pack of these.

May 23 15 06:59 am Link

Photographer

sunn fotography

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

I start using YN 560II, on my 5d3, just fall in love with them til now. i have 4 YN 560II , 4 YN 560III and 1 YN 600ex rt (HSS, TTL) exactly like the canon one.  I only use manual mode so i dun really need those expensive TTL speedlights.

I use them with Phottix wireless trigger working perfectly stable!! Great stuff. Save tons!

Its good to have couple for back up!

May 23 15 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Where is Jay when you need him?

May 23 15 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reeder

anyone ever have any issue triggering yongnuos with non-yongnuo trigger systems? got a 560 iii yesterday, will trigger with yongnuo rf-603n's but not with  a pair of vello's I have...

May 24 15 10:30 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I am using the Yongnuo speedlite YN468II (SB900) either on camera or with YN radio triggers.

Using those for location work, or when my Profoto system is too cumbersome to schlepp around... never a problem!!!

Mucho bang for the money!

May 24 15 03:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Angie_ Hair_ and Makeup

Saint Cloud, Florida, US

I do and mine overheats when used on HSS after like 20 flashes. Bums me out since they are great otherwise. If I don't use HSS it works perfect.

May 24 15 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have 4 currently; and i prefer the 560 III to the canon 580 ex I
Not sure about the later canon flashes , they're obscenely expensive and that's about all I know about them.

They're not newbie flashes - manual only but that's okay, I've never used E-TTL. Find it better to do it on my own

I like them the most because of the swivel on the head - it can be moved without pressing the button on the side. As in, it doesn't lock in position.. which is brilliant. I can just move it.

Also..I don't even need the triggers (just set them to S1 mode) the 580 ex bare on my camera triggers all 3 lights without any attachments at all

May 24 15 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

I use them too.  I have a YN-560-TX unit, which I use to trigger a YN-560 III, and a YN-560 IV, as well.

I've found them to work quite well.  Definitely a better deal than paying 3 times as much for a brand name Nikon flash, at any rate.

May 24 15 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Angie_ Hair_ and Makeup wrote:
I do and mine overheats when used on HSS after like 20 flashes. Bums me out since they are great otherwise. If I don't use HSS it works perfect.

There's a few different methods you can do off camera HSS with them.. here's an article about the type I have: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/165355 … n560-flash

Never had an overheat problem with HSS and them personally

May 24 15 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I've used Yongnuos.  Very reliable.  Love 'em.

May 24 15 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Claireemotions

Here are links to 2 pictures in did take using the yongnuo. They are each in a custom built saberstrips.
The speedlights are fully enclosed with no direct access. the Radio control worked great https://plus.google.com/+KlausBinder/posts/Hsk8D4rxxN7
They are about 2-3 feet slightly in front of the players just of to each side

May 25 15 12:37 am Link

Photographer

JGC Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

The first time a light stand blew over it ruined a $450.00 Nikon flash and a $180.00 Pocket Wizard...$630.00!!....I could see it would not be the last time this happened! Lost one off a dock...Then I got a bag of Nikon/Pocketwizard gear stolen at a wedding!

My buddy had been using a few cheap Yongnuo speedlights for a few years so I decided to order a dozen of the 560iiis and a dozen 603 triggers (I didn't know the 560iii had a built in receiver)...Figured i would just throw them out when they broke...Three and a half years later (I shoot a lot of weddings) none have broken and a few have fallen onto rocks....Not even the cheap triggers. Adding the TX trigger was a nice addition to my working Yongnuos...

For $150.00 you get 2 speedlights and a remotely adjustable trigger.
Exact same output as a SB910 once you fire it through an umbrella (the 910 has a better focus system for long range bare flash work by 1/3 stop).

A word on Pocketwizards and Yongnuo speedlights!
The 560iiis kick up electrical interference that the pocket wizard is unable to deal with beyond 20 feet or so... (less when it is in a softbox). Funny then that the $20.00 Yn603 trigger operates my lights at 100 yards (rifle range shoot)?

May 25 15 02:30 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I just got 3 Yonguno 560 III's and a 560tX remote. They feel solid and work as advertized, though the documentation is a bit out of sync with the firmware. The III's are being discontinued and replaced with the 560 IV, which appears to be extremely similar. B&H now carries Yonguno, and I prefer them to an ebay store.

May 25 15 03:45 am Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

I bought an the yn-e3-rt and a yn 600ex last week and it worked really well. I bought three more of the flashes this week. I have 2 Pixel Mago flashes also and they work really well but I wanted wireless without extra pieces. I have a couple of Sigma Super DG flashes that don't get as much use and a Canon 580ex and a YN 560 died on me at about the same time. So far, quality has been as good as the Canon flash. I'll probably get a few more of the newer YN flashes to have 8 flashes on 2 brackets. I

May 27 15 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Nguyen Studio

Shakopee, Minnesota, US

love em, they are my location kit.  Never had one fail on me, I have 5 of them and counting.... (YN560iii).  Along with the YN560TX transmitter, it's a dream to remote control power output.  At their dirt cheap prices, they're almost disposable if they do break.  Highly recommended.

May 30 15 04:07 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Interestingly enough, I started noticing some of my 460s were getting a bit beat up and I had an important shoot yesterday that I would have needed a few of them so a few days ago I ordered a pair of 560-IV speedlights via Amazon Prime and they are AWESOME. Amazon had one seller offering a special...$71.00 each but they include 8 rechargable batteries, so I jumped on that. While the batteries aren't as good as my Eneloops, the extra few bucks made it enticing.

So, I did the shoot last night and they worked great. I love how you can make one light a master and others a slave, so when you adjust the settings on one, it will update the others. VERY cool. I just ordered a 560TX remote so I'm looking forward to playing with that next week on a different shoot.

Bang for the buck, Yongnuo is about the best thing to ever hit the photography market in the last several years. These guys really deliver a quality product at a great price.

May 30 15 08:42 am Link

Photographer

kikivasilescu

Marina del Rey, California, US

Anyone knows if te Yongnuo flashed would work with a Sony A7s? Sony has a different/proprietary hot shoe...

May 30 15 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Claireemotions

kikivasilescu wrote:
Anyone knows if te Yongnuo flashed would work with a Sony A7s? Sony has a different/proprietary hot shoe...

I use mine with a sony a99 and rx100. No issues at all. The usual issues inches youtube a sony speelights with the mmi interface that indies not trigger. For me the trick was to cut of a little off-the plasticine the triggers to make room for the pins.

May 31 15 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Tom Nguyen Studio

Shakopee, Minnesota, US

kikivasilescu wrote:

I've used it (560TX transmitter) with my A7 no problems, I'd imagine it'd be the same on A7s

May 31 15 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Peter Drought

Saint Helens, England, United Kingdom

Have used YN568EX11, YN56011 and YN 560111. They all consistently fail at around the 9 month mark under heavy day to day use (I do quite a bit of agency work). The couple of genuine canon ones (a 580ex 11 and a 430ex) are still going strong more than 6 years after purchase.

Maybe I have just had bad luck, but personally they havn't been that reliable for me.

Jun 02 15 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

Peter Drought wrote:
Have used YN568EX11, YN56011 and YN 560111. They all consistently fail at around the 9 month mark under heavy day to day use (I do quite a bit of agency work). The couple of genuine canon ones (a 580ex 11 and a 430ex) are still going strong more than 6 years after purchase.

Maybe I have just had bad luck, but personally they havn't been that reliable for me.

But you have to figure, that's 9 months of heavy use from something that costs $70-110 vs 6 years for something that costs $600, and for those of us that don't make those same heavy demands on our equipment the cheaper item could probably last a good long time.

Jun 02 15 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lumopro
Yongnuo
Cactus

in that order for build, light quality and price

I use Yongnuo almost exclusively...

Jun 03 15 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Kenny Goldberg

Costa Mesa, California, US

I have two YN560's, two Nikon SB800's and two Nikon SB600's and I use my YN's and SB800's all the time! I use my SB800's on camera for TTL but in manual I love the YN's.. Sometimes I use an SB800 off camera as a keylight in a modifier and another sb800 for fill light in modifier and then the YN's to ether light the background or as hair-lights and rim lights.

My YN's are old and have used them a million times and they never let me down!

Jun 05 15 05:29 pm Link