Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Sports. College. Lacrosse. Who cares, right?

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Denver University brought home the first NCAA lacrosse championship east of the Appalachians in that college sport's 45-year history.

Yeah, so what. Well, lacrosse is a sport that requires talent and endurance over mutant size so that anyone can aspire to greatness, makes the players actually play for the whole game, and is an American invention through and through.

Go Pioneers!

May 26 15 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Justin wrote:
Denver University brought home the first NCAA lacrosse championship east of the Appalachians in that college sport's 45-year history.

Yeah, so what. Well, lacrosse is a sport that requires talent and endurance over mutant size so that anyone can aspire to greatness, makes the players actually play for the whole game, and is an American invention through and through.

Go Pioneers!

Strictly speaking, it's a Canadian invention.. but yeah.. great game smile

May 26 15 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I do believe the game preceded the notion of "Canada" or 'U.S." The name came from the game being observed in modern-day New York in the 17th century. And technically, Canada and U.S. are all "American," which is how I intended the reference.

That's just a nitpick. Thank you! Seriously!

May 26 15 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Justin wrote:
I do believe the game preceded the notion of "Canada" or 'U.S." The name came from the game being observed in modern-day New York. And technically, Canada and U.S. are all "American," which is how I intended the reference.

That's just a nitpick. Thank you! Seriously!

First observations (by europeans) were in south central ontario by Jesuit Missionaries .  But yes.. it was definitely a Native American game long before europeans came along - it was a bit of a different beast back then, though.  However, the modern game as we know it (rules, equipment, etc) was invented in Montreal in the mid 1800s.  I wish the game was more popular.  It's technically the national (summer) sport of canada.. but you'd never know it. A shame.

May 26 15 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

"The French Jesuit missionary Jean de Brébeuf saw Iroquois tribesmen play the game during 1637 in present-day New York. He was the first European to write about the game.[7] He called it la crosse ("the stick")."

"In 1855, William George Beers, a Canadian dentist, founded the Montreal Lacrosse Club. In 1867, Beers codified the game, shortening the length of each game and reducing the number of players to 12 per team. The first game played under Beers' rules was at Upper Canada College in 1867; they lost to the Toronto Cricket Club by a score of 3–1. By the 20th century, teams in high schools, colleges, and universities in Canada and the United States began playing the game."

From Wikipedia

May 27 15 12:22 am Link

Model

Blues

Petaluma, California, US

Awesome win for DU.

And technically, it was a sport played by the indigenous people of what is now the Americas.  Whether a European saw it first in what is now called Canada or the U.S. is irrelevant, as it wasn't their game.  Having a white guy view it does not legitimize it it as a sport.  It also looked nothing like modern day LAX as it was played over much bigger areas for days.

No matter the geographic origin, it is a kick ass sport and DU is helping establish it as more than just an East Coast thing.

May 28 15 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Wye wrote:

First observations (by europeans) were in south central ontario by Jesuit Missionaries .  But yes.. it was definitely a Native American game long before europeans came along - it was a bit of a different beast back then, though.  However, the modern game as we know it (rules, equipment, etc) was invented in Montreal in the mid 1800s.  I wish the game was more popular.  It's technically the national (summer) sport of canada.. but you'd never know it. A shame.

Lacrosse was invented by the Iroquois. Native American people -- definitely not Caucasians. The European settlers modified the equipment and rules but they did not invent the sport.

http://iroquoisnationals.org/the-iroquois/

My grandfather was part Iroquois and part Cherokee, an All American Lacrosse player and was the President Of the US InterCollegiate Lacrosse Association for years. He was the lacrosse and soccer head coach at Cornell U for 17 years.

He did go to the reservation in Canada to get his sticks made though big_smile

I am going to agree with the nitpick too -- technically an American could be any person from the Americas - - South, central or North America.

I know some South Americans resent the hell out of the fact that US citizens consider themselves the only Americans tongue

May 28 15 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

I thought U Maryland won it all this year?

May 30 15 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Naughty Ties

Riverview, Florida, US

What is this lacross you speak of?

May 30 15 01:37 pm Link