Forums > Model Colloquy > Underwater modeling.

Model

Taylor Godek

Orlando, Florida, US

So im kind of interested in trying it. Has anyone done it on here before?

And do you have to be a good swimmer?

May 30 15 03:59 am Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

You don't have to swim, but you do have to sink and hold your breath.  Fat is more buoyant than muscle, so the less body fat you have, the easier it is to sink.  Once you sink a little, you have to let the clothing fabric settle, and look relaxed; not like you're holding your breath.  You can practice all your normal expressions while holding your breath, without water.  You don't want to look like you are panicking when you're under water; unless that's what you're supposed to look like.  Since the water will be colder than you, you need to have a pretty good tolerance, and hopefully your skin doesn't get really blotchy when cold.  Depending on how deep the water is, and how deep you hang out, you may get some pressure on your ears.  If you are prone to ear problems, probably not the gig for you.

May 30 15 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Taylor Godek wrote:
Underwater modeling?

At this juncture I only collaborate with those who have a strong aquatic background and always with experienced team a.k.a. lifeguard, and/or water safety instructor in the aggregate mix... 

As mentioned... being able not to release air from month/nose is paramount... and having no issues with eyes open... I'm the only one in the water with a weight belt, the talent does a surface dive to max depth and I capture him/her on their assent... Sun angle plays heavy into the mix thus prefer shooting with a uniform overcast...

Here is an example... she is currently an aquatic instructor at a health spa in NYC...
at the time of the shoot she had years of experience as a lifeguard...   https://www.restonstudio.com/images/Brittany_mermaid_web.jpg

FYI: The safety of team members ALWAYS comes first... There have been drownings on trash the dress sessions...
Please, please do not even think about entering the water in a wedding dress on an initial session, k? 

Hope this helps...
All the best on your journey....

Thomas Van Dyke
www.RestonStudio.com

May 30 15 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Do you need to be a good swimmer?

Not necessarily, but you do need to know how to swim well enough to be confident in the water and you do need to be fit. 

You can get very good photos without ever venturing into deep water where you cannot touch bottom, but, the more you plan to wear in the water, the fitter you need to be, because cloth creates drag. 

Nevertheless, things like wedding dresses can be worn if you have the necessary skills.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120912/20/505157d3af40e.jpg

May 30 15 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Chris David Photography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Underwater modelling and photography by far is one of the most difficult genres and every model I have photographed in this style to date has completely underestimated it despite having been told.

You don't have to be a good swimmer but the ability to control your breathing, while opening your eyes and moving gracefully in the water takes a lot of practice. Most have overestimated their ability and in a swimming pool which is fine and safe enough but I would never take any inexperienced person out into the ocean where things are extremely high risk for all parties involved.
With all that there is only a small number of underwater photographers and most go for more experienced underwater models - i've tried my fair share with non-experienced ones and it really shows in the results.

May 30 15 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Chris David Photography wrote:
Underwater modelling and photography by far is one of the most difficult genres and every model I have photographed in this style to date has completely underestimated it despite having been told.

You don't have to be a good swimmer but the ability to control your breathing, while opening your eyes and moving gracefully in the water takes a lot of practice. Most have overestimated their ability and in a swimming pool which is fine and safe enough but I would never take any inexperienced person out into the ocean where things are extremely high risk for all parties involved.
With all that there is only a small number of underwater photographers and most go for more experienced underwater models - i've tried my fair share with non-experienced ones and it really shows in the results.

You are absolutely correct about underestimating the difficulty, but experienced underwater models are even rarer than experienced underwater photographers.

May 30 15 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Chase

San Francisco, California, US

I agree with what others have said about the model always underestimating the difficulty shooting underwater! You don't have to be a great swimmer, but you have to be very comfortable in the water, some of my favorite shots are on the surface catching the reflections like the one in my avatar. Starting with less cloths is better, big gowns look fantastic underwater, but IMHO they should be left to experienced UW models like the one I pictured, you need to let air out of your lungs to sink, a heavy gown will feel like it's pulling you to the bottom and makes it more difficult to surface.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/131225/01/52baa3b867e01.jpg

May 31 15 02:09 pm Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

There was a huge topic about underwater modelling and everything you have to think about (not the 'waterbabies'-list), I searched for it but I can't find it anymore.. sad
It was really an informative and helpful topic about underwater modelling, quite a few pages too. Does anyone know where it has gone?
I just did an underwatershoot last friday. It was in a pool, not deep, only two meters (I'm 1.80, so not much room to sink and move around). I don't have results back yet (obviously). It was fun, but also harder than it looks just like everyone says. I don't have much trouble in posing my hands and feet in an elegant way, just as I don't mind to open my eyes underwater. The (not) breathing was the hardest part for me. The photographer reminded me to also let airbubbles out of my nose, because it would look stupid in the photos. I am not sure how my facial expressions turned out, I tried to look relaxed anyway and vary a bit.

May 31 15 02:47 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

If you're a good swimmer you'll have a better time.

Also body density and your overall fitness will be a variable.
It surely is exhausting .

Remember to drink plenty, being in water for a few hours is very dehydrating.

I have the best time when the photographer has a scuba rig or a pony bottle I can 'sip air' from, so that eliminates a lot of exhausting up and down.
I am certified scuba diver though.

Jun 01 15 06:59 am Link