Forums > Critique > Good for a model?

Model

Axioma

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I have a few images that I really love aesthetically, but guess would be deemed as more "photographer portfolio appropriate" by a large part of the community here (i.e. doesn't show my face well or has a composition/POV that is better for the photographer).

What is your opinion in this matter, can I keep them with the argument in mind that it shows my artistic insight/ability to other photographers well? Or should I focus strictly on promoting/marketing my portfolio as a model and showcasing my look?

Jun 16 15 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

I wouldn't worry about a SINGLE image. Your port is your port, present the images that you see fit.

If everyone is lovin' what you do or show, I'd be (honestly) be worried. Just like if everyone is hating what you put up, I'd be worried. But if some people love your work & others not so much, you're probably on the right track.

Jun 16 15 08:54 am Link

Photographer

F-1 Photo

New York, New York, US

It's difficult to answer without knowing what images you're referring to.

In general, the way I see it, is as long as you have a couple of images that are a good representation of your look, (headshot, full body) the rest is all up to you and should be determined by your personal taste.

Jun 16 15 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I believe that the collection of images in a model's portfolio should show the model's range.  So, I like seeing a mix of images -- head shots, full figure, action, artistic, etc.  If a model is willing to work in a genre, then there should be an image in her portfolio that shows her working in that genre.

So, if it balances your portfolio, include it.

(You didn't ask, but I don't think a portfolio needs to be full of hundreds of images -- think quality, not quantity.  But that's my opinion).

Jun 16 15 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

Your portfolio is amazing....keep doing what you are doing.

Jun 16 15 11:52 am Link

Photographer

James Felix

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I agree with Eyesso, your port is awesome, let me know if youre ever in Miami big_smile

Jun 16 15 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

David M Russell

New York, New York, US

If you like the image and what it conveys, then you should absolutely keep it in your port.

Jun 16 15 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

I don't like it when a model's portfolio only shows her body. You don't have that problem. You have many pictures showing your face so you can post as many as you like showing just your body.

Jun 16 15 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

A portfolio should show what you look like and what you are willing to try.   Your portfolio does those things very well!

Jun 16 15 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/38741775

Not sure about this one, its not doing much for you or the photographer

Jun 16 15 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS

Pomona, California, US

Axioma wrote:
I have a few images that I really love aesthetically, but guess would be deemed as more "photographer portfolio appropriate" by a large part of the community here (i.e. doesn't show my face well or has a composition/POV that is better for the photographer).

What is your opinion in this matter, can I keep them with the argument in mind that it shows my artistic insight/ability to other photographers well? Or should I focus strictly on promoting/marketing my portfolio as a model and showcasing my look?

I understand what you are saying... I agree...
I don't care for the pictures that do not show you face...
Why? It does benefit a photographer more..
Your a model and we should see you face..
Unless you just a body figure model..
The pictures are nice...
But seem too artistic, which may be meaningful and personal to the photographer...
But misses the boat for a model portfolio..
If you just a body..... Why not use someone else with another body? Also many figure models become figure models because some don't have strong face for regular modeling..
You have a gorgeous face..

That's your strength
A photographer not showing it is an injustice to you...
I am talking from a models stand point...
A photographer will tell you keep the picture..
I say, keep it professional, and stick to the subject and that you should be highlighted..

I see those pictures and think great picture..
I don't say "hey great model" I can't see or know who it is....
Understand?

Your instincts are right, those pictures are model of a photographers portfolio..
You have a good eye........ I agree with you.

Jun 18 15 10:17 am Link

Photographer

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS

Pomona, California, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/38741775

Not sure about this one, its not doing much for you or the photographer

I'll go a step further...
Get that picture out.....

Jun 18 15 10:18 am Link

Photographer

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS

Pomona, California, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
I wouldn't worry about a SINGLE image. Your port is your port, present the images that you see fit.

If everyone is lovin' what you do or show, I'd be (honestly) be worried. Just like if everyone is hating what you put up, I'd be worried. But if some people love your work & others not so much, you're probably on the right track.

I disagree....
If you were to shoot Adriana Lima wouldn't want to shoot her gorgeous face?..
I would.... If you shot her from behind or covered.. Whats the point? How do we know its her?.
Adriana Lima is not famous for not showing her face... She is known for her face..
Other than that, your just another body.. A dime a dozen..
The OP is not a butterface face she is gorgeous..  A butterface can do those artistic shots...

Jun 18 15 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Howard Tarragon

New York, New York, US

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS wrote:
I understand what you are saying... I agree...
I don't care for the pictures that do not show you face...
Why? It does benefit a photographer more..
You're a model and we should see you face..
Unless you just a body figure model..
The pictures are nice...
But seem too artistic, which may be meaningful and personal to the photographer...
But misses the boat for a model portfolio..
If you just a body..... Why not use someone else with another body? Also many figure models become figure models because some don't have strong face for regular modeling..
You have a gorgeous face..

That's your strength
A photographer not showing it is an injustice to you...
I am talking from a model's stand point...
A photographer will tell you keep the picture..
I say, keep it professional, and stick to the subject and that you should be highlighted..

I see those pictures and think great picture..
I don't say "hey great model" I can't see or know who it is....
Understand?

If you were to shoot Adriana Lima wouldn't want to shoot her gorgeous face?..
I would.... If you shot her from behind or covered.. Whats the point? How do we know its her?.
Adriana Lima is not famous for not showing her face... She is known for her face..
Your instincts are right, those pictures are model of a photographers portfolio..
You have a good eye........ I agree with you.

Midnight express has nailed it - Each photo is your resume - if your name or face is not on it it is useless for your purposes - no matter how artistic it is - unless the viewer knows which model made the contribution.

Jun 18 15 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Howard Tarragon wrote:

Midnight express has nailed it - Each photo is your resume - if your name or face is not on it it is useless for your purposes - no matter how artistic it is - unless the viewer knows which model made the contribution.

Could not have said this better
Total Agreement

Jun 19 15 04:28 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Since you have 30 images for your portfolio if you put some (for example 3-4 images) that you think show better your versatility despite some issue I don't think is a dramatic choice.

Jun 19 15 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Tarragon

New York, New York, US

I've already commented but I'm wondering what the model's avatar says to the model.

Jun 22 15 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS wrote:
The OP is not a butterface face she is gorgeous..  A butterface can do those artistic shots...

So I guess those artistic shots are all from the ugly models.  And those Polaroid shots are all from the poor amateur photographers who can't afford a decent DSLR. 

Art is art, what different does it make?

Jun 22 15 08:56 am Link