Forums > Photography Talk > That Hd look in video

Photographer

Cleghorn Creative Imgin

Abilene, Texas, US

I have been watching alot of videos and the videos are almost lifelike. Can someone tell me a way that I can achieve this look without breaking the bank?

Jun 18 15 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

You will find a plethora of video info here:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussions

Jun 18 15 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Just like photography, the answer is usually lighting and processing. There is a TON of gear in your average videographer's kit, and it's not uncommon for the camera itself to only be a quarter of the overall kit price - especially if audio is important.

At the low-end of the professional market, the camera is basically just a head unit or a delivery system, in the same way that a CD player is just a transport, and the amplifier actually makes the sound.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful, but you've got a pretty big can of worms there.

Jun 18 15 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

sthlm_nudeproject

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

fo you have as sample of what kind of video you are refering to? smile It would be easier to help that way

Jun 18 15 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hfr ...? More specific please. Got an image or screencapped still?

Jun 19 15 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Shoot in 24p at 1/50sec.

That's the most film-like you're likely to get, but I agree that it's ALL about the lighting.  Cinematic lighting is called that for a reason.

Jun 19 15 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

For me, it's about shooting with an HD capable camera, having lighting that is adequate (lighting that isn't bright enough for the aperture and shutter speed will just result in a noisy, dark video clip that will only be moreso with post processing) and showing it on an HD capable system (projector or TV).

As one moves up the price scale in video cameras, one gets better equipment (usually). Better imaging systems, more adjustability in camera, etc etc.  I've been using my DSLR for shooting video for a while now. It sucks on many levels because the aperture and shutter speed aren't adjustable. On the other hand, it's not a video camera (it's a still camera that does videos too) and it didn't cost all that much in the grand scheme of things. If I wanted to move into the prosumer level for a camcorder, it would cost about 6x as much and there would be a whole bunch of other things to buy.

I do the best I can with what I have where I am. There is always more and nicer to buy. All things in time, for me, anyway.

Jun 19 15 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

I've been working on some promos for our store, using a Sony A5100 and a Schneider 50 1.9. I chose that because it's the cheapest camera we have that uses the XAVC codec. After colour grading(which I'm NOT an expert on - yet!), some of the shots look fantastic and professional, and others look like they were shot with an A5100.  Same gear all around, but some shots were lit better than others.

The best looking shot was also very carefully arranged, so I could shoot at 1.9 and keep everything in focus. The others either had a moving target or were too deep, so I needed to stop down and change my ISO.

I also had a halfway decent voiceover, using a mic and recorder worth as much as the camera.

I'm doing more next week, and I'll be sure to have plenty of lighting equipment.

I should have that done Tuesday ... I can PM the link if you're interested, but I'd wait for the better one wink

Jun 20 15 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

-WB-

Maassluis, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Without showing the look you are talking about this whole discussion will be full of generic advice.
It depends on light, framing, technique, skills, postprocessing, preproduction... in other words: every thing plays a part in the end result. And proper white balancing before hitting record makes a difference as well, unless you shoot RAW. But shooting RAW can break the bank quicker...

Jun 25 15 02:34 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I moved from photo to video last year.  God this is breaking the bank.  The good news is you don't need high end lenses to shoot great video.  The bad news is money will go to places you never thought of like image stabilizers and high end computers and hours of video classes.  I shoot panasonic gh4 4k and am getting a g7 next month.  I have lots of senheizer mics and rode mics.  I spend a ton putting together a good team and educating myself.  This is way more expensive than photography to do it at a pro level.  I am sure I passed the 20k level already.

Jun 25 15 03:19 am Link

Photographer

pwphotography

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I think the OP may be talking about videos shot at 60fps. Now that youtube supports it, its becoming common and it does look life like

Jun 26 15 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Could be! Of course, that's even more demanding on the lights if you're using artificial, so that brings us back to that.

I'm not sure if I shoot 24p because I like it better, or if I like having the extra light, and I convinced myself that I like it better.

Jun 26 15 03:52 pm Link