Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Love Wins! Time to Party!

Model

JWest

Asheville, North Carolina, US

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIboL_sWEAAno8W.png

Jun 26 15 07:55 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

borat

Jun 26 15 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Meh
This one was a slam dunk no brainer ruling ...happy for those people finally to be happy without government interference..and now they get the full benefits of marriage...which is good for them because;
Salvages the past 2 days when the douchbags that purposely wrote such a confusing ambiguously written law that nobody understands that was passed without anybody reading it that is the worst freedom grab in this country,forced the SCOTUS to have no choice but to not overturn it

And with that I have tread on soap box territory so that is that

Jun 26 15 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

https://a.abcnews.com/images/Politics/164683607_6_16x9_992.jpg

Jun 26 15 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Skydancer Photos wrote:
https://a.abcnews.com/images/Politics/164683607_6_16x9_992.jpg

I am really close to posting the "most offensive flag ever created" that is the top internet meme right now

But I will let someone else...

Jun 26 15 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

All 50 states now.. yay!

Awesome news for all of humanity ..especially now wedding photographers big_smile

If you search anything related to gay pride, gay marriage or just "gay" on google right now you get this cool header and a bunch of rainbow people holding hands
https://www.google.ca/images/pride2015/heart.png

Jun 26 15 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Chris Rifkin wrote:
I am really close to posting the "most offensive flag ever created" that is the top internet meme right now

what flag? the nazi flag? why would you associate an offensive flag with this thread? I don't follow

Jun 26 15 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

This thread should bring out the MM homophobes!  Yay for SCOTUS for having enough spine to vote for equality!

Jun 26 15 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Chris Rifkin wrote:
This one was a slam dunk no brainer ruling

I would agree.  However, the court rule with a 5-4 ruling.  It was surprisingly close.

Jun 26 15 08:57 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I just figured it out.  It will probably end up here in the Philippines.  We tend to follow American law.  I wonder if marriage to 4 women will be allowed soon.  Muslims are allowed here to get 4 wives.

Jun 26 15 09:11 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

I applaud this too .....

I am worried about the almost certain fallout this will bring from the other side of politics..

Jun 26 15 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Gryph

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Now they can all enjoy the benefits of marriage and then downfall of a divorce.  And when kids are involved, things will get interesting.

Jun 26 15 09:18 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Gryph wrote:
Now they can all enjoy the benefits of marriage and then downfall of a divorce.

I am not that pessamistic. I forgot though that divorce is big in the USA.  It is still rare here in the Philippines.  Maybe we will take a note from the USA about that.

Jun 26 15 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Gryph

Phoenix, Arizona, US

martin b wrote:

I am not that pessamistic. I forgot though that divorce is big in the USA.  It is still rare here in the Philippines.  Maybe we will take a note from the USA about that.

I hear your country is predominantly Catholic, so maybe religious ties is what binds people to stay married.

Jun 26 15 09:22 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Jim Ball wrote:
This thread should bring out the MM homophobes!  Yay for SCOTUS for having enough spine to vote for equality!

I am not Gay, But my Boyfriend is.

Jun 26 15 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Well done USA.  Well done!

Jun 26 15 09:47 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

It is unfortunate that so many see the destruction of state's rights to be celebrated.  The long term effects of creating precedence that fundamentally changes our constitutional process will do more to equally take freedom from everyone.  On the other hand, when a small minority rides roughshod on a larger population, it usually doesn't end well because it does nothing to reduce the back pressure of mainstream society. 

I have always been 100% against any kind of discrimination and believe everyone should be able to live the way they want within a civil society.  However, I believe the Supreme Court has gone of the reservation to the determent of the people because they seem to be making rulings that shred the constitution where previously, only elected officials in congress had that authority.

Be careful what you party for.

Jun 26 15 10:01 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Jay Dezelic wrote:
It is unfortunate that so many see the destruction of state's rights to be celebrated.  The long term effects of creating precedence that fundamentally changes our constitutional process will do more to equally take freedom from everyone.  On the other hand, when a small minority rides roughshod on a larger population, it usually doesn't end well because it does nothing to reduce the back pressure of mainstream society. 

I have always been 100% against any kind of discrimination and believe everyone should be able to live the way they want within a civil society.  However, I believe the Supreme Court has gone of the reservation to the determent of the people because they seem to be making rulings that shred the constitution where previously, only elected officials in congress had that authority.

Party Pooper!

Jun 26 15 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jay Dezelic wrote:

Upholding the 14th amendment now equates to shredding the constitution?

It's up is down day on Modelmayhem again!

Yay!

Jun 26 15 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

"Loss of States Rights" brought about an end to slavery...and lots of other social injustices.  This is just one more strike against bigotry & prejudice hiding behind the guise of "States Rights."

Jun 26 15 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jim Ball wrote:

"Loss of States Rights" brought about an end to slavery...and lots of other social injustices.  This is just one more strike against bigotry & prejudice hiding behind the guise of "States Rights."

A state's right to deny rights to the citizens of the USA died in the summer of 1868.  It just took a while for people to catch on is all.

Jun 26 15 10:29 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

Party Pooper!

Sorry.  It's great that some people have achieved more freedom. However, the end does not justify the means because every citizen has just lost voting power over congress in the process.   We might as well just appoint an imperial king/queen and be done with it.   Ask yourself what will happen if the gay agenda falls out of favor with future dynasties?

A real win for the LGBT community would have been if the people of each state independently supported the legislation. Over time, it probably would have happened.  But now, precedence has been set to pave the way for other unrelated issues. Maybe in a few years the Supreme Court will be deciding on things like the national application of Sharia Law?  That would be a major setback for LGBT people.

Jun 26 15 10:45 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Jim Ball wrote:

No.  The people of individual states, led by abolitionists, put an end to slavery.  If gay marriage was not previously adopted by any state, do you think it could have been possible to make a federal case to the Supreme Court? Never.

Jun 26 15 10:51 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

It's a heartening thing to see the rights enshrined by the Constitution upheld to the letter rather than seeing them succumb weakly and passively to ignorance and intolerance and dishonesty. This is a triumph for true American values. This is a victory for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Jun 26 15 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Everyone should mind their own business. It should have been taken for granted a long time ago. Of course, the wingnuts will complain that it will destroy their life, and the whole structure of society - they worry so much about everyone else's business.
-Don

Jun 26 15 10:56 am Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The group happiest about the ruling?

Divorce lawyers, they just doubled their potential client base.

Jun 26 15 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Don Garrett wrote:
Everyone should mind their own business. It should have been taken for granted a long time ago. Of course, the wingnuts will complain that it will destroy their life, and the whole structure of society - they worry so much about everyone else's business.
-Don

+1

Jun 26 15 11:05 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

What Fun Productions wrote:

smile

Jun 26 15 11:09 am Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

What Fun Productions wrote:

And wedding photographers, wedding ring manufacturers, and giving gay comics much more material to use.

Jun 26 15 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Jun 26 15 11:13 am Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

martin b wrote:
I just figured it out.  It will probably end up here in the Philippines.  We tend to follow American law.  I wonder if marriage to 4 women will be allowed soon.  Muslims are allowed here to get 4 wives.

Hopefully polygamists will be free of stigma and persecution soon.

Would be hypocritical otherwise.

Jun 26 15 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jay Dezelic wrote:
But now, precedence has been set to pave the way for other unrelated issues. Maybe in a few years the Supreme Court will be deciding on things like the national application of Sharia Law?  That would be a major setback for LGBT people.

I don't think you understand half of what you're on about, in particular Sharia Law but, also in general. hmm

Jun 26 15 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

DEP E510 wrote:

Hopefully polygamists will be free of stigma and persecution soon.

Would be hypocritical otherwise.

Personally, I've always thought that any two or more consenting adults should be able to form a legal marriage.

The operative words being consenting and adults.

Jun 26 15 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jay Dezelic wrote:

Sorry.  It's great that some people have achieved more freedom. However, the end does not justify the means because every citizen has just lost voting power over congress in the process.   We might as well just appoint an imperial king/queen and be done with it.   Ask yourself what will happen if the gay agenda falls out of favor with future dynasties?

A real win for the LGBT community would have been if the people of each state independently supported the legislation. Over time, it probably would have happened.  But now, precedence has been set to pave the way for other unrelated issues. Maybe in a few years the Supreme Court will be deciding on things like the national application of Sharia Law?  That would be a major setback for LGBT people.

You know you're just making up flights of fancy now.. right?

Jun 26 15 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

https://scontent-lax1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11182117_10153483634901473_7819907949747366073_n.jpg?oh=6958a71bcee930fbef38739bd8ffd228&oe=561DC306

smile

Jun 26 15 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

I will never forget this week, two landmark rulings. I'm so happy to be alive to have seen them both come to pass. Amazing!

Jun 26 15 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

Toto Photo wrote:
I will never forget this week, two landmark rulings. I'm so happy to be alive to have seen them both come to pass. Amazing!

Being the cynic I am, I do not forget the timing.

Fast-tracking TPP, then follow with gay rights.

Politicians ain't slick...

Jun 26 15 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

The final, rather eloquent, paragraph from the Supreme Court explaining the ruling:

"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right.

The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed. It is so ordered."

-----

Well done USA!

Jun 26 15 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Just out of curiousity, wouldn't it make sense to now start issuing Federal Marriage Licenses?

Jun 26 15 01:08 pm Link

Model

JWest

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

Except they tried that in several states, where they voted and the majority voted in favor of marriage equality, and despite the majority being ok with it, those equal rights were held hostage by a group of people that have interpreted the law to suit their own agenda. A group that has turned freedom of religion into "freedom to discriminate and make laws based on one religion". The SCOTUS decision has done was the states failed to do, bring marriage equality to people of all sexual orientations. It's a no brainer, something we shouldn't have even had to vote on, but did. I wonder if you felt the same reservations when SCOTUS ruled on Citizens United. We win some, we lose some, today we won.

Jun 26 15 01:13 pm Link