Forums > Photography Talk > Fuji discontinues some film, raises prices for

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

More bad news for film users. Fewer choices, higher prices.

http://photorumors.com/2015/07/11/anoth … more-73700

Jul 13 15 03:49 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Don't care, will still use film until the pry my cold, dead hands from the last roll.   Although, I do admit this is a sign of things to come.

Jul 13 15 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
Don't care, will still use film until the pry my cold, dead hands from the last roll.   Although, I do admit this is a sign of things to come.

dam straight!

Ah the russians n chineese will be making film long after everyone goes under. Im not worried.

You can still buy oil paint, brushes n canvas... film will be on the same shelf.

Oh btw.. I still have a working DOS computer just in case I need to read floppies.

Jul 13 15 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Provia 400X has actually officially been discontinued since last year, but there is enough stock here in Japan atm. I have been stocking up on 400X - it will be missed.
Velvia 50 is already fairly expensive, so further increase is a pity.
They can shove 100F and 160NS where the sun don't shine for all I care personally, and Acros100 is nothing quite to write home about either, but discontinuing Astia was an evil deed.

Jul 13 15 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

If anyone is interested, I still have a bunch of Fuji RDPII in original cans sitting in my refrigerator.

Obviously  long expired.

Going cheap to a good home?

RBD

Jul 14 15 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I can't say this effects me terribly. Neopan 400 and 400H were my two favourite films, and I haven't been able to get those in sheet sizes in a long time. I still buy Portra, but I only do it because I'm a boob. I keep thinking that I might want something in colour, despite the fact that I haven't shot a colour image I was really pleased with in over two years.

I think most people that shoot film religiously have a similar feeling. You shoot Portra or BW, and Fuji doesn't make any BW but Acros larger than 35mm anyway. Unless you're still shooting slides, Fuji dropped off the radar the better part of a decade ago.

I'm sure the hipsters will be unhappy. But that's part of being a hipster. If they can pay a dollar a frame to shoot Polaroids, they can pay a dollar more for a whole roll of 35mm.

Jul 14 15 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
If they can pay a dollar a frame to shoot Polaroids, they can pay a dollar more for a whole roll of 35mm.

Sometimes, we missed the obvious.  big_smile

Jul 15 15 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Connor Photography wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. Forums lose context sometimes, even with emoticons.

Jul 15 15 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
If they can pay a dollar a frame to shoot Polaroids, they can pay a dollar more for a whole roll of 35mm.

Connor Photography wrote:

Zack Zoll wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean. Forums lose context sometimes, even with emoticons.

Emoticons is just like a wild card, it means anything you want.  big_smile
If I remember correctly, I think this is what i meant at the time I wrote it.

"Totally agree,  if the hipsters or "anyone" who digs shooting film, the cost of Film increase by Fiji is insignificant.  Buying films is not like buying insulin for your diabetics or bread and milk to feed your baby.  It is totally optional".

It is equally ridiculous that someone can afford the latest and greatest dslr and professional lens and then complaining the cost of Polaroid film.

big_smile

Jul 16 15 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

I wasn't sure if you were with me or again' me there, because we're usually on the same page.

I would guess that aside from Acros, the vast majority of people shooting film because it's actually important to their working method switched to Kodak/Ilford a long time ago. Right now, Kodak (or whatever their legal name is now) has something like a 98% market share for colour films larger than 35mm.

And if you shoot 35mm, you're absolutely right - it is a luxury. It sucks that it costs more, but very few working/showing photographers are affected.

Jul 16 15 03:35 pm Link