Forums > Photography Talk > Do you have to like the models you photograph?

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

I've never had this experience, but, if the images turn out good, (the models part, I have to do my part, of course), and the price was right... The short answer is: no, you don't have to like the model, but I always have, in the past.
-Don

Jul 27 15 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

San Francisco, California, US

I only had this kind of experience at a group shoot when I was a beginner at model photography 5 years ago. There was one  very physically unattractive model who was arrogant, impatient, demanding nothing pleased her. The group manager asked me to photograph her. I cut it off after a few minutes and told the manager that I would never work with this model again.

What I don't understand is how you got any usable images when the model was wearing an ugly unnatural looking wig?

Jul 27 15 10:41 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Do you have to like the models you photograph? 

No- but it probably makes things easier.

As others have mentioned, as a hobbyist I can afford to be a LOT more choosy about who I work with-

Since I do this for enjoyment, I want to get the most out of the experience- From coming up with a shoot concept, thru searching for and negotiating with a model, the shoot, the post, and any communication afterwards, I want to enjoy the entire process.

I have been very lucky- the vast majority of the models I have worked with from MM have been delightful, with  enough professionalism to put up with me, and pleasant working personalities.

If a model told me she was only giving me 50% because that was all I "deserved"--- I would boot her ass out the door INSTANTLY. I would never even consider asking her back, regardless of the images we were creating. While it might damn well be true I only "deserved" 50%, I sure as hell wouldnt hear that from a model who had a shred of professionalism.

Jul 27 15 11:42 am Link

Photographer

NG Photos

Cleveland, Ohio, US

No, I don't like most people.

Jul 27 15 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
Nope.

But you have to like working with them.

There was a Russian model I had worked with on runway shows for a few years and did a few shoots with her for designers and jewelry.

We always got along well until this one incident, which I am never forgiving her for... evilgrin

We shot at a hotel for one of the magazines I am working with, not only as the photographer, but also creative director. Featured were the dress of one of my designer friends.

We were shooting in the "wet room" kinda steam sauna type (NYers might know the hotel I am talking about)... and everything was perfect, until I needed a specific expression and pose and full emotion from her.

This would have been a super strong shot... absolutely fantastic... but... she gave less than a half assed performance, totally sub-par... basically she ruined the highlight of the shoot, the feature image... because she "... disagreed with that pose, since she didn't feel like that pose and expression would go with that dress!"

I couldn't belief my ears! So, she explained that she was at a recent shoot, for L'Oreal or something and she gave the photographer tips and they liked it... so, she decided that she is good as a creative director and instead of just modeling, she made decisions about the shoot.

I was so pissed... from that moment on... I never worked with her again... naturally, I saw her often and we are friendly, but this is one shot... I will never forget... smile

On the other front... I had a shoot for an agency with a model, who was on the board of Elite (Milan).

Not only was she hours late, we gave her two hours, while she updated us were she's now... supposedly got lost on the train... We actually packed our gear, left the studio, putting out stuff into the van, ready to leave when she showed up.

Okay... we unpacked and did the shoot with her... and she constantly complained about the "shadow on her left eye" which makes her eye look smaller... blamed it all the time on the lighting... fact is... she has a lazy eye... it's visibly smaller to everybody who looks at her... and her strongest tear sheets... her lazy eye was either covered by hair or in a deep shadow... so you couldn't see it... she was the biggest pain in the ass... and I couldn't stand working with her.

I was so glad when the shoot was over... smile

The Russian sauna disaster happened in 2006 and the Italian Elite model incident 2012. Besides those two extremes... I guess I got lucky at all my other shoots! We usually get along very well... having fun on the set, upbeat atmosphere... loving it!  That's most likely why those two instances still stand out so strongly,

Jul 27 15 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Spring

London, England, United Kingdom

I had a shoot last year with a girl, she was so miserable, horrible character even after making me hang around for 3 hours (It was cool, I would have gone home if some emergency didn't happen and got the pleasure of shooting fire brigade lol)

Would I shoot her again? Hell no.... way too many nice models for me to spend any time on people like that. There isn't a girl on earth who's so good that they can have that attitude and be brought back onto my set, I rather shoot apples on a table top.

Jul 27 15 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Herman Surkis wrote:
Nope.

Exactly.
Because if not it may influence the potencial and quality of the work itself suppose.

It doesn't matter how excelent work a model has if I am not confortable, in peace and happy working with her to get the best of my own potencial too.

Jul 28 15 02:58 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Nogawd Photography wrote:
No, I don't like most people.

This I can relate to.

Jul 28 15 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

udor wrote:

There was a Russian model I had worked with on runway shows for a few years and did a few shoots with her for designers and jewelry.

We always got along well until this one incident, which I am never forgiving her for... evilgrin

We shot at a hotel for one of the magazines I am working with, not only as the photographer, but also creative director. Featured were the dress of one of my designer friends.

We were shooting in the "wet room" kinda steam sauna type (NYers might know the hotel I am talking about)... and everything was perfect, until I needed a specific expression and pose and full emotion from her.

This would have been a super strong shot... absolutely fantastic... but... she gave less than a half assed performance, totally sub-par... basically she ruined the highlight of the shoot, the feature image... because she "... disagreed with that pose, since she didn't feel like that pose and expression would go with that dress!"

I couldn't belief my ears! So, she explained that she was at a recent shoot, for L'Oreal or something and she gave the photographer tips and they liked it... so, she decided that she is good as a creative director and instead of just modeling, she made decisions about the shoot.

I was so pissed... from that moment on... I never worked with her again... naturally, I saw her often and we are friendly, but this is one shot... I will never forget... smile

On the other front... I had a shoot for an agency with a model for an agency, who was on the board of Elite (Milan).

Not only was she hours late, we gave her two hours, while she updated us were she's now... supposedly got lost on the train... We actually packed our gear, left the studio, putting out stuff into the van, ready to leave when she showed up.

Okay... we unpacked and did the shoot with her... and she constantly complained about the "shadow on her left eye" which makes her eye look smaller... blamed it all the time on the lighting... fact is... she has a lazy eye... it's visibly smaller to everybody who looks at her... and her strongest tear sheets... her lazy eye was either covered by hair or in a deep shadow... so you couldn't see it... she was the biggest pain in the ass... and I couldn't stand working with her.

I was so glad when the shoot was over... smile

The Russian sauna disaster happened in 2006 and the Italian Elite model incident 2012. Besides those two extremes... I guess I got lucky at all my other shoots! We usually get along very well... having fun on the set, upbeat atmosphere... loving it!  That's most likely why those two instances still stand out so strongly,

The disasters stand out, because thankfully they are rare.

Personally the ones where the model brings me a treat, stand out.

And the one's where the the good looking model tries to jump my bones. Oh, wait, that's not me, it's a movie.

Jul 28 15 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

I arranged a shoot with one well known model, when she was renting a place in West Hollywood. 

As I drove up, I saw her standing in the street shrieking into her phone and weeping copiously. 

Not a good start.

I guess I could have just carried on driving.

I didn’t.

After about 45 minutes she’d calmed down enough to start to get ready.  Which was another story.  She didn’t believe in wardrobes and all her clothes were kept in little piles on the floor.  She told me she'd found many of them on the streets.  Maybe she was joking but some certainly didn’t look like they’d been laundered recently. 

It didn’t seem important.  She was better without clothes.

And she was an incredible, totally intuitive model.  She obviously had a whole range of issues but as soon as she stepped in front of the camera, she was absolute magic.

Jul 29 15 01:21 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

There’s a corollary too. 

Sometimes one can end up liking one’s model a little too much. 

Sometimes models - women (or men) who take their clothes off for a living, can be really unusual, singular people.  The kind one just doesn’t run into every day. 

Like most photographers here, I try to have a professional, focussed attitude at all times.  But I am not made of stone and I have most of the same range of emotions everyone else has.

So is it better to not like them, like them a lot or neither like or dislike them?

Jul 29 15 01:33 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

I don't even like the person I'm sleeping with.

Photographing a live model is a transfer of energy.  With a poorly performing model, all of the energy is sucked out of the shoot leaving me exhausted and drained.  With a great model, energy is put into the shoot to create images which are transcendent.

My best shoots, hardly any words are exchanged.  I just twitch my head, point my nose, raise an eyebrow and the model reads and reacts to my facial expression like they are reading my mind.  Those a great days.

Jul 29 15 03:42 am Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Derek Ridgers wrote:
Is it necessary to like the models you shoot?

Herman Surkis wrote:
Nope.

I think Herman nailed it.   
You don't have to like a person, but you have to like what you are doing. 

If I let my feelings of "I don't like this, this sucks, I don't want to be here" take over, the photos will suck.  My timing will be off.  I'm impatient and can't give clear direction.  Nothing works.  If I am shooting a portrait, but I am not into it, later when I look at the pictures I can see my lack of connection in their faces.   

I am glad you were able to rise above her awkward comments.  Sounds like she did well, even though she knew she was withholding a bit.  Sounds like her contributions were beneficial to your project.  May your mutual respect and comfort continue to grow.

Jul 29 15 04:33 am Link

Photographer

Willie Brown Photos

Anderson, South Carolina, US

Derek Ridgers wrote:
I photographed a model last week who had the strangest personality.

She was completely wrapped up in herself and it was almost like I was working for her rather than vice-versa. 

Her attitude towards me throughout was that she was taking a step down working with me.

She insisted on wearing a very bad and very obvious wig which looked totally unnatural and she had to keep pushing into place.

She spoke constantly about these other photographers and how much she knew about photography herself.

One of the last things she said to me was (in precis) I’ve only given you 50%, you don’t get 100% out of me until we’ve worked together a lot more.

To be 100% honest, I wouldn't work with her anymore and wouldn't recommend her to anyone else. 

If she doesn't consider you good enough to give you her 100%, then you shouldn't give your 100% either.  Just don't get in contact with her anymore.  Definitely not worth it, even if she is a good model.

You don't have to like each other, but you at least have to respect each other.  And one thing I always say is that respect is earned.  *shrug*

Jul 29 15 04:58 am Link

Filmmaker

VISIONWORKS PRODUCTIONS

Miami, Florida, US

Ive worked with models that I didnt hire, the client hired and in that scenario I dont even get to develop an opinion. I always stay professional (do this do that, walk here there, smile and so on) and they always stayed professional too so Ive never had a bad experience on that scenario.

When I do online castings I usually get a sense of the type of person by the way they present themselves (even in writing) so if I notice something rude or arrogant I simply pass the page (or email) and go to the next one, so Ive never had a bad experience with somebody I hired personally either

I doubt that if I do the casting I would hire anybody who has a bad attitude.

Im a very easy going person who likes to smile, be positive and get along with people, I think that contributes with the fact that I never had a bad experience with a model or most people in general

Jul 29 15 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

MMR Creative Services

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

A picture is worth a thousand words. So I've heard and seen. I've not yet worked with a diva or a very difficult model, but I aspire to it if it fills the coffers.

Bonjour.

Jul 29 15 06:08 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Derek Ridgers wrote:
I photographed a model last week who had the strangest personality.

She was completely wrapped up in herself and it was almost like I was working for her rather than vice-versa. 

Her attitude towards me throughout was that she was taking a step down working with me.

She insisted on wearing a very bad and very obvious wig which looked totally unnatural and she had to keep pushing into place.

She spoke constantly about these other photographers and how much she knew about photography herself.

One of the last things she said to me was (in precis) I’ve only given you 50%, you don’t get 100% out of me until we’ve worked together a lot more.

The funny thing is, she was a fantastic model. 

She’s got one of the best portfolios I’ve ever seen, she has worked with a lot of extremely good photographers and there is a real consistency there - which suggests to me that the common denominator there is her.

I can honestly say I learnt a lot.  What decent photographer doesn't learn from working with a model that’s worked with great photographers?

But… I didn’t like her at all and I don’t think she liked me much.

I don’t think so. 

I’d shoot this one again in a heartbeat.

n.b. She’s not on Model Mayhem.

If you'd shoot her again in a heartbeat then there was something there that you did like. See how you feel after your second shoot. I personally would not shoot a model like that, no thank you.
Jen
p.s. unless it was for pay

Jul 29 15 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I no longer do commercial or publication work, and my (now) rare photosessions are as much for the experience as for the final images, so the interactions and collaborations with the models are important.  Don't necessarily have to like the model, but do need to feel that we're both on the same wavelength to get great photographs.  (It IS better, though, if we like each other and have a nice comfort-level.)

smile

Jul 29 15 06:35 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

hbutz New York wrote:
I don't even like the person I'm sleeping with.

Photographing a live model is a transfer of energy.  With a poorly performing model, all of the energy is sucked out of the shoot leaving me exhausted and drained.  With a great model, energy is put into the shoot to create images which are transcendent.

My best shoots, hardly any words are exchanged.  I just twitch my head, point my nose, raise an eyebrow and the model reads and reacts to my facial expression like they are reading my mind.  Those a great days.

This is true. We are creating something with someone and there is an exchange and interaction.

Jen

Jul 29 15 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

iShoot West Side

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Derek Ridgers wrote:
I can honestly say I learnt a lot.  What decent photographer doesn't learn from working with a model that’s worked with great photographers?

But… I didn’t like her at all and I don’t think she liked me much.

I'm just an amateur who shoots photographs and models as a hobby, so my view comes from a person who doesn't make a living or earns money from photography. To me photography is something I enjoy doing and should be for everyone involved.

If I were to pay someone his or her fair wages, and that person gives me racist, sexist or demeaning comments. I'd stop the shoot immediately and show that person the door. Period.

Aug 01 15 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

I think the best case scenario is when one works with someone who is likable.  However, that isn't reality.  No matter what there will be times when you simply don't like someone but you have to do your job and make them look their best.

I have two examples.  First a TF one.  So I did a shoot with this guy once at his place.  Shoot went great, he was a tiny bit moody but he seemed to respect me and my time.  We worked again another time, TF again.  We worked and hung out for 5 hours.  For this one he was started acting a bit less friendly and more demanding.  I shot with him once more after that and this one was horrible.  He acted like he didn't want to shoot the ENTIRE TIME.  I wanted to tell him off and go home but I didn't because I kept telling myself that there will come a time when I'm doing paid work and totally dislike the person I am working with but I will still need to get the shoot done.  So I stayed there and did my job.  When I sent him the pictures he complained and complained and then stopped talking to me and didn't even take any of the pictures.  A few weeks ago though he contacted me to say that he was a dumb ass, that the pictures I fixed were great, and then he asked me to send them to him again.  All I said was "here" and included the link.  That was the end of that.  I would never work with him again.

I then got a paying client.  Shoot went fantastic.  She paid me on time, all was good till I fixed the pictures and sent them to her.  She said she wanted me to tone them down.  So I did.  It got to the point where I toned them down to basically original form and she was still sort of not happy which made no sense since she made her selections from the originals.  She then ended up paying me for extra images and changed her mind and used many of my full retouches.  I spent days on that, maybe even a week.  Didn't get paid extra either.  Would I work with her again?  Yes.  Why?  Because she was new at the whole photoshoot thing.  I understood that she wanted to see what the pictures looked like at all levels.  I got that she wasn't used to seeing herself that way.  Was I annoyed as hell?  Hell yeah but my job was to make sure that she was happy and to understand where she was coming from.  Had I not gone through what I did with the TF shoot I mentioned I would have never had the patience to sit on my butt and deal with this paying client enough to understand why she was acting the way she was. 

So yeah, I might not like someone, but sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and try to get into their brain first before dismissing them and if that doesn't work try talking to them about it.  And if THAT doesn't work still and you feel like you have taken enough and for no reason then run from them as fast as you can lol.

Aug 01 15 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

I don't need to like a model to shoot with her, but odds are I'm not going to ask her to shoot if I don't like her unless it's earning me money.

There's actually one model in particular that I think is pretty good looking and she'd be good to work with for things like Zivity sets and the like, but she's annoying, makes odd requests, annoys the crap out of my girlfriend and doesn't understand the concept of professional boundaries (actually, I think that's 95% of the reason she annoys my girlfriend). Because of this, it's nearly impossible to work with her.

Aug 01 15 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:
He acted like he didn't want to shoot the ENTIRE TIME.

As someone who has spent quite a bit of time photographing famous actors in hotel rooms whilst they’re promoting their latest film, one finds this all the time.  Seldom does one find one’s subject genuinely wants to be there.

But that’s part of the skill and also, in my view, part of the enjoyment of doing the job. 

If you can take original and interesting portraits of someone who doesn’t want to be there, amongst people and circumstances that provide no help whatsoever, it really sorts the men out from the boys.

The best of the best can always seem to find ways to do it.

Of course, this is very different than hiring one’s own model.  But one discipline learnt in one environment can also come to play in another.

Aug 02 15 04:21 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

HobbyistPhotography wrote:
If I were to pay someone his or her fair wages, and that person gives me racist, sexist or demeaning comments. I'd stop the shoot immediately and show that person the door. Period.

This is a very interesting point but why stop just with those?  Why not include people who don’t adhere to your own social, political or religious convictions too?

Of course, it wouldn’t work for me.  If I searched the globe only for like-minded models that had opinions similar to my own it would be a long, vain search.  And I very much doubt that I would like him/her if I ever found them.

I’ve photographed plenty of racists and sexists in my time.  And many violent men, including several convicted killers and a well known war criminal (although he wasn’t revealed as such at the time).  Mostly I enjoyed photographing them but would certainly not want to hang out with too many of them afterwards.

I enjoyed taking photographs of people like this because I believe in the vérité aspect of photography.  I try not to be judgemental and my views are irrelevant once the photograph is taken anyway.  I want my photographs to do the talking for me.

Aug 02 15 04:24 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I've liked some and liked others less, but I'm always professional about things, I believe this is the key for developing a good reputation in the industry.
There are some I've gone out for drinks with and then gone on to become friends, while there are a (minute) few divas I could care less if I ever saw again in this lifetime.
Overall, I like most people, I like hearing their stories, or at least listening to what they have to say about life.
I find it really surprising what a camera can do for opening up a conversation with most people.

Aug 02 15 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

Dear OP:  What on earth kind of question is that?  You're a grown up, you really should't have to ask if you have to "like" someone to work with them.  Of course not.  Counter to what some photographers think, you don't even have to "like" working with someone, especially if the relationship is very beneficial/profitable.

Every photographer has his or her own limits as to what they can or are willing to tolerate.  I couldn't care less if a model has a horrible personality as long he/she is generating what I need.  I don't care if I "like" a client, as long as they're relatively easy to work with.. the more they pay, the higher my tolerance for the ridiculous.  Many photographers feel differently.

If you're behind the camera in attempt to make friends, then that's one thing; but if you're behind the camera to pay your mortgage, then it's more about conducting business and getting paid.. and less about a model or client's self-absorbed personality of all things.

Aug 02 15 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

fotopfw

Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands

My models are often first time clients. I don't know them, so I cannot know if I would like them. Time is limited and all filled with making the portraits they want. Sure, I do get something of an idea of how she of he behaves is the real world. But I don't give it another thought. My job is to make the images they paid for. I do like all my models and MUA's that I use for my workshops, though, very much even!

Aug 02 15 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

I don't have to like them, but it helps my mental state while retouching if it was an enjoyable experience.

Aug 02 15 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Masciandaro Photography

Westfield, New Jersey, US

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what happens when I get paid to photograph someone truly despicable and make them look gorgeous.  I know, we're pros, that's what we're supposed to do but sometimes I just want to take a shower afterwards.

Aug 03 15 09:55 am Link