Forums > General Industry > What are your goals as a photographer?

Model

REMOVED

Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands

Your hopes and dreams?

What about realistic ones?

Aug 28 15 03:40 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

work work work

I shoot weddings

for fun I put on workshops.  Mostly focusing on glamour lighting.  Older style playboy lighting techniques and some cinematography styles.

basic goal is just get better at weddings.

maybe one day i will do wedding workshops

Aug 28 15 03:47 am Link

Photographer

ValHig

London, England, United Kingdom

Take pretty pictures.

It'd be cool to sell some pretty pictures at some point. But mainly taking them.

Aug 28 15 05:44 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

ValHig wrote:
Take pretty pictures.

It'd be cool to sell some pretty pictures at some point. But mainly taking them.

Also, to kill a little time with interesting young people.  When you're 78, most young people tend to regard you as some sort of museum antiquity, Kind of interesting to look at, maybe even listen to sometimes, but having little or nothing to do with the real world. 

When shooting, especially one-on-one and even more especially when shooting nudes, the conversations tend to be more real, individual and inclusive than most encounters with younger people.  It may be that when folks shed their inhibitions and/or their clothes, they often shed their pretensions and protective barriers as well and become more inclusive and easier to interact with.

Aug 28 15 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Mark Ruddick

London, Ontario, Canada

To be better than I was last time....and shoot a major world championship boxing match.

Aug 28 15 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

To work as a freelance retoucher from home for a major agency.  I got to do it once before for a very short while about a year and a half ago but it didn't really work out sad  In terms of a photographer just take pretty pictures and get published in cool magazines.  I'd really like to be published in Zink, Schon, Glassbook and other similar ones.

Right now I'm mainly aiming to do a little freelance work on the side for independent photographers and get published in Superior Magazine, much more realistic.

Aug 28 15 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

My goals have really changed. I put a lot of effort into goals that produce some income that last several years (A couple books, framed art, stock, shooting for a college PR dept. ) Now I'm to the point, where I feel that's not worth it.  I'd rather just shoot to make art I enjoy.  I also enjoy helping new models get their portfolio off to a start.

Aug 28 15 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

ValHig wrote:
Take pretty pictures.

+1

Also, avoiding being mugged by models.

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

Aug 28 15 09:28 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

My #1 goal as a photographer...

have FUN!

Aug 28 15 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Make as much money as I can while loving what I do. It's as simple as that.

Aug 28 15 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Peter House

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have this vision that I can help turn my city (toronto) into a real fashion capital. As a city we have a lot of momentum, and a lot of talent, but no cohesive action. I want to help define what comes out of here and help my local peers do the same. I want us to make a real impact on the world.

My personal photography is much less important to me than the entire photographic movement of the city.

Aug 28 15 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

right now i'm in the mode of using my existing gear to make some money shooting events. recoup some of the investment i've made over the years. and it's a lot more fun doing it as a moonlighter than trying to pay the bills.

i'm always interested in what makes an image great and how to achieve that whether it's gear, software, knowledge, model, setting, luck, teamwork, waiting 12 hours for the right light, hiking 3 miles, etc. but i also like to make images without a lot of hassle so partly it's about how you can make some decent images while being efficient, and if everyone is shooting the same thing how can your image stand out (or maybe it can't, maybe it's more about you than your photo).

Aug 29 15 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Sports photography, sports photography and more sports photography!  Got a college football game to shoot tonight.  Heaven!  Yes!!!

Aug 29 15 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

To constantly improve and to piss off the "pros" when I take a job for free, or bartering, or for very little money.  hehe  tongue

Aug 29 15 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

I'm like.. 80% of the way there. I'm doing Architectural photography & commercial real estate photography full time right now (and I love it). I'd like maybe 5, 6 more clients who will call me regularly, then I'm good to go really. Not looking for fancy, or a ton of $$$, but enough to get by comfortably. I'd also like a lot more local work, instead of having to drive to different states.

My goal for the last 3 years had really been to get a proper website up and running, but I'm about a week from a new one going live so finally achieved that goal (yay!)

Aug 29 15 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Lisa Mae Studios

Charlevoix, Michigan, US

I'm still pretty darn new, but my hopes and dreams are to shoot fashion and high fashion.
Realistically, I'll probably be able to work with some local agencies at some point.

Aug 31 15 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

To take over Russel James' spot with Victoria's Secret. He can't shoot forever.

Aug 31 15 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Bilsen Galleries

CORTLANDT MANOR, New York, US

A trained ape can show my models are gorgeous.

I want to show who they are.

Sep 01 15 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Horsham, Victoria, Australia

My goal is to create and take pleasure in the process.

If others take pleasure from seeing what I create then thats good, if they don't that is fine too.

Sep 01 15 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

JRSlater

Wilton, Maine, US

I don't know, exactly. I want to create images that I am proud of, anything after that would be a bonus.

Sep 01 15 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

San Francisco, California, US

To get one, just one more TF shoot in before I die or Model Mayhem goes off the  air whichever  is  first!  smile

Sep 01 15 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Not really sure.  A lot of commercial shooters, or up and comers want that national ad.  I did that.  Several times.  Actually very early in my career.  Now I do a lot of portrait work and corporate events.  I have shot several celebrities but never in a portrait type style.  Usually a meet and greet type thing.  I think I would like to take a great portrait of someone pretty well known.  Actor, author, politician, etc.    Not sure why.  I feel just as happy creating beautiful portraits for anyone.  But we all have a little ego in us, so...

I just want to keep busy creating images my clients like.  That's the goal of any professional shooter really.  I do that now.  I just hope to continue doing it.

Sep 02 15 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

I want to create images that I like.

Sep 02 15 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

At this time my goal is to try to  be more active in my parish, and continue with some volunteer work that might lead to some more networking and paid gigs.

-Varton

Sep 03 15 04:49 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

pixpal wrote:
At this time my goal is to try to  be more active in my parish, and continue with some volunteer work that might lead to some more networking and paid gigs.

-Varton

That was my first job was I volunteered to take pictures of the church choir two years ago.  Last year I started shooting weddings.  Good luck I am sure you will have an incredible journey.

Sep 03 15 06:28 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

My Goals are...

Everyone get's a Free Puppy and Kitten in the World...Except North Korea...They would Eat the Puppies and Kittens.

Sep 03 15 06:49 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I don't do this for a living now, I moved to the other side and work in marketing for the past decade.  I am more likely to hire a photographer than be one these days.

So I just shoot now to improve my skills and because I enjoy it, there is no pressure for me get the shot for the client any longer

Sep 03 15 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

To have a place in history.

Sep 03 15 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Repeat post.

Sep 03 15 07:38 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I'm a self portraitist photographer (my avatar as well as several images in my port were shot by me) exclusively in terms of model photography so my goals are probably a little bit different. My self portraits started out as a way for me to express myself in ways or concepts that I couldn't shoot with a photographer, as a way to keep my posing muscles fresh, and as a way to just shoot sometimes since I'm without transportation a lot of the time and very busy with art events and other parts of life much of the rest of the time. They've developed even more into a from of self expression and a way for me to share different parts of facets of myself. I can bring out different aspects of my personality or life story as a concept or character.

Secondary purposes include shooting sets for Zivity, selling prints, and exhibiting in local/international art shows.

I'm not sure I have any concrete goals. I shoot when I feel inspired to do so and then my goal is just to express whatever I feel I want to express at that time. It can vary a lot from being very conceptual to more abstract and about forming different poses without any firm direction. I suppose one goal would be simply to shoot more, now it's just a few times a year because  my shoot space is often taken up by other things. My husband and I are working on clearing out more of the house (translate: a ton of abandoned art from shows) so we can shift things around and the room can be free for both of us to shoot in.

Sep 03 15 09:00 am Link