Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > The ONE thing I'll never understand about Target

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://scontent.flas1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-0/p526x296/11998978_10153081971492536_313467407951372188_n.jpg?oh=7a9be4486c2dca6edd3e5336479dfae2&oe=56A1A2B6

Sep 16 15 10:14 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I find the lighting set up in Target stores to be really weird. It makes me feel like I'm on an alien planet.

Sep 16 15 11:14 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Koryn wrote:
I find the lighting set up in Target stores to be really weird. It makes me feel like I'm on an alien planet.

It's REALLY really bright and almost blue like led lights. I really don't even like to shop at Target they are just so unnecessarily  expensive on EVERYTHING. My best friend tried to get me to try shopping there again but the only way I did it was with a gift card which I walked out of the store with barely anything using the total $50.

Sep 16 15 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I love Target.  It's probably a bit more expensive than something like Wal-Mart, but it doesn't make you want to punch anyone in the face.  Or everyone.  Including yourself for making the mistake of going to Wal-Mart. 

Or is that just my reaction?

Sep 16 15 12:30 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I love Target.  It's probably a bit more expensive than something like Wal-Mart, but it doesn't make you want to punch anyone in the face.  Or everyone.  Including yourself for making the mistake of going to Wal-Mart. 

Yeah but there's more options than Wal-Mart. I LOVE Big Lots for example. If I can't find something in Big Lots I'll probably buy it online. There's also Meijer, TJ Maxx, and Costco stores everywhere here that are WAAAAAY cheaper than Target. Target is like, the last place I think to go for anything.

Sep 16 15 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

No, not just your reaction. Not at all. The 2-3 times per year that I make that mistake of going to Wal-Mart, I think that one day, they'll change the phrase "he went postal" to "he went Wal-Mart". And I might very well be the "he" that precipitates that. But maybe you'll beat me to it.

Sep 16 15 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Nope I feel the same way about going to Walmart.

Last time I was there ( because everything else was closed) I walked out and left my cart at the checkout because it was so infuriating.

Sep 16 15 12:38 pm Link

Model

Jacquelyn Marie

Brian Diaz wrote:

Amen!

Sep 16 15 01:56 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

AgX wrote:
No, not just your reaction. Not at all. The 2-3 times per year that I make that mistake of going to Wal-Mart, I think that one day, they'll change the phrase "he went postal" to "he went Wal-Mart". And I might very well be the "he" that precipitates that. But maybe you'll beat me to it.

KungPaoChic wrote:

Last time I was there ( because everything else was closed) I walked out and left my cart at the checkout because it was so infuriating.

What is the issue that some people have with Wal-Mart?  Just go get what you need and enjoy the sideshow freaks that are sometimes strolling around in there.

Sep 16 15 02:03 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Model Sarah wrote:

It's REALLY really bright and almost blue like lcd lights. I really don't even like to shop at Target they are just so unnecessarily  expensive on EVERYTHING. My best friend tried to get me to try shopping there again but the only way I did it was with a gift card which I walked out of the store with barely anything using the total $50.

I agree about being expensive.

About the only stores I even go into anymore (other than grocery shopping) is Big Lots, Family Dollar and Dollar Tree.

If I can't find it in one of those places, I order it online.

Sep 16 15 03:46 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Brian Diaz wrote:
... something like Wal-Mart, but it doesn't make you want to punch anyone in the face.  Or everyone.  Including yourself for making the mistake of going to Wal-Mart. 

AgX wrote:

I have a CostCo membership, because I eat so much produce and their produce is cheap if you're buying large quantities (yeah, I sometimes eat two whole lettuce heads in a day).

And I get a little pissed walking around CostCo, because I feel like everyone is having a damned family reunion in the aisles, rather than getting what they need and moving on.

Shopping stresses me out anyway. I hate walking around looking at stuff and I hate spending money, even though I have to, you know, eat, bathe and clean my house just like everyone else. There's a part of me that feels guilty about not having the means to be totally self-sufficient and needing to support the evil retailers.

I'm normally a pretty patient person and I actually like people a lot. I'm not a misanthrope. I don't honk at people who're slow to turn at red lights, and I don't care if you pause in the crosswalk to tie your shoe. But, when it comes to buying shit, I just want to *get in and get out* and when people slow me down in CostCo ... yeah... no...

Sep 16 15 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Target sells Twizzler Super Nibs. Your argument is invalid.

http://www.target.com/p/twizzlers-cherr … A-14832687

Sep 16 15 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

I used to like our local Target until they added a grocery section and condensed the rest of the store. And they changed the lighting to the obnoxious bright LED's...

Walmart not a snowballs chance in hell. The few times I've been there I've wanted to go Postal on too many other shoppers.

We have a regional chain called Fred Meyer's (recently bought by Kroger). They are my go to place for groceries and general shopping.

Sep 16 15 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

ernst tischler wrote:

What is the issue that some people have with Wal-Mart?  Just go get what you need and enjoy the sideshow freaks that are sometimes strolling around in there.

I don't like WalMart!

Sep 16 15 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

-fpc-

Boca Raton, Florida, US

Koryn wrote:

in there, you are

Sep 16 15 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Model Sarah wrote:

It's REALLY really bright and almost blue like lcd lights. I really don't even like to shop at Target they are just so unnecessarily  expensive on EVERYTHING. My best friend tried to get me to try shopping there again but the only way I did it was with a gift card which I walked out of the store with barely anything using the total $50.

Target's lighting and red color scheme affects me like fingernails on a chalkboard.  I absolutely hate going inside a Target store.  They could mark everything half the price of anywhere else and I'd still avoid the place. hmm

Sep 16 15 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Laurence Moan

Huntington Beach, California, US

They are very affective at marketing. Even if they're a discount retailer they still make you feel kinda cool about shopping there instead of an upscale store.

http://target-creative.com

Sep 16 15 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

Koryn wrote:

they're lit up like you're on some mass consumerism acid trip. and all that fluorescent lighting, contrasting with all that red. it's a sensory overload. and out here, the food section has these lights that constantly strobe on and off, if someone walks down the aisle. so you can add potential seizures into the mix.

and ftr, you couldn't pay me to walk into a wal mart. the humanity that stumbles around in the parking lot is enough of a deterrent.

Sep 17 15 01:42 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Blue Cube Imaging wrote:
I used to like our local Target until they added a grocery section and condensed the rest of the store. And they changed the lighting to the obnoxious bright LED's...

Walmart not a snowballs chance in hell. The few times I've been there I've wanted to go Postal on too many other shoppers.

We have a regional chain called Fred Meyer's (recently bought by Kroger). They are my go to place for groceries and general shopping.

Isn't that Meijer? I didn't realize they had expanded all the way to Oregon!

Wal-Mart doesn't bother me because I shop there in the morning when no one is there. But I try to avoid buying anything there anyway because I don't support the company at all.

Sep 17 15 06:45 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Perhaps my view on WalMart is different because in my small rural town, many times the choice is go to WalMart or drive 30 miles to get what I need. 

I rarely ever go to Target, the nearest one is 40+ miles away, while I would have to drive past a half dozen other stores who sell the same items on the way there.

Sep 17 15 06:55 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Walmart isn't even cheaper than target anymore. I love me some target, though almost all of their clothes are way too huge on me.

Sep 17 15 10:34 am Link

Photographer

StromePhoto

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

I  have learned not to shop at Target while wearing a red shirt and khakis.

Sep 17 15 02:50 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

StromePhoto wrote:
I  have learned not to shop at Target while wearing a red shirt and khakis.

...and don't wear a blue vest to Wal-Mart.  LOL

Sep 17 15 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

its become hip to say one hates WALMART but I love the store. I love the mega large, have everything style.
I love even people watching there. I love how the parking lots have bunches of RV's there like a safe parking area haven for travelers. if I'm bored on a rainy day sometimes I will just wander the store buying things I dont need.

Sep 17 15 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

KungPaoChic wrote:

What went wrong?

Sep 17 15 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

Being in Los Angeles I have never shopped at WM.
Once, at 8? am, we stopped in Panorama City [a good place to avoid] and went in this huge store.

My only time to a WM. Sure is big.

Local Home Depot stacked stuff so high that the collapsing display killed someone. The dangers of big, I guess.

Sep 17 15 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

SAND DIAL wrote:

What went wrong?

I can't speak for her, but I have a hell of a time with the ridiculous lines. I used to go to Wal-Mart when I belonged to a rifle range(coincidence?) because they had the .22 ammo I liked best. Even knowing exactly what I wanted and where it was, and not deviating from my course at all, I don't think I ever got in and out in less than 20 minutes. Not during the day, anyway.

Sep 17 15 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Zack Zoll wrote:

I can't speak for her, but I have a hell of a time with the ridiculous lines. I used to go to Wal-Mart when I belonged to a rifle range(coincidence?) because they had the .22 ammo I liked best. Even knowing exactly what I wanted and where it was, and not deviating from my course at all, I don't think I ever got in and out in less than 20 minutes. Not during the day, anyway.

Between that and employees that don't give a Sh** -- I know Walmart doesn't pay well but customer service is non-existent. Now they instituted those self-scanning lines and it is pure chaos. I stood in line and then got to a register to self scan and the screen said call attendant for register paper. So I called an attendant over -- they could not be bothered and I guess I was supposed to go to the end of the line again or something.

No way Jose, see ya!

Sep 17 15 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I use the self checkout line. never a problem for me.  its always generally empty at the walmarts around here because alot of people are still afraid of technology.   actually there was a documentary on TV talking about coming inventions and technology and the supermarket of the future will have checkouts that look like metal detectors....you just pass thru it with your shopping cart full of items and it scans ...everything.... in the cart, your phone which you have activated with a certain app while passing thru and it charges your credit card account or checking and you just keep going right out to your car not even stopping.

Sep 17 15 08:34 pm Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Haha, well, I came from a big family. So, we went to Wal-Mart more than Target. Everything was affordable and on a budget for big families with limited income. I could confirm that sometimes we were probably one of them. tongue

I think I haven't seen a Wal-Mart right here in NYC yet. It would be very interesting if there is one. So far we have Target and TJ Maxx (like Ross? *shrugs* I'm way out of touch with shopping. ) in NYC. It's safe to say customers in NYC-based Targets dress better than other Targets across USA.

Right? tongue

Sep 17 15 08:38 pm Link