Forums > Photography Talk > An almost unbelievable story.

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

London, England, United Kingdom

A publisher emails a photographer and suggests they produce a book together. 

But… the proviso is that it must be done quickly.

The photographer agrees, the book is designed, the artwork created, everyone loves it, its printed (in Latvia), bound and delivered to the UK and it goes on sale.

It quickly sells out (other than a few held over for a book signing tomorrow, in Paris).

The book is Willy Vanderperre’s 365.

The whole process took just ten days.

Sep 18 15 12:17 am Link

Photographer

gorgeous3mikecasa

Chicago, Illinois, US

10 days to shoot too ??

Sep 18 15 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

The photographs existed already.

Sep 18 15 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Derek Ridgers wrote:
An almost unbelievable story.

Well, when you are good, you are GOOD.

Sep 18 15 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Something was done quickly, for a change !
-Don

Sep 18 15 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

Willy Vanderperre’s 365

635 maybe

Sep 18 15 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Derek Ridgers wrote:
A publisher emails a photographer and suggests they produce a book together. 

But… the proviso is that it must be done quickly.

The photographer agrees, the book is designed, the artwork created, everyone loves it, its printed (in Latvia), bound and delivered to the UK and it goes on sale.

It quickly sells out (other than a few held over for a book signing tomorrow, in Paris).

The book is Willy Vanderperre’s 365.

The whole process took just ten days.

the images already existed. 635 really. it was his existing instagram photos. so that part took much longer than 10 days.

Sep 18 15 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:
the images already existed. 635 really. it was his existing instagram photos. so that part took much longer than 10 days.

This is not the significant element here.  It took the publishers a day to collect all the images anyway - they used an iPhone.  Plenty of decent photo books have been shot in the same time.

The incredible thing here is the production time and the time it took to get it to market and sell out.

It just goes to show (to me, anyway) that people are still interested in photo books and they will rush out to buy them if they are interesting enough.

Surely any of us here could do this as well?

Sep 18 15 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

How many books were actually sold?

Sep 18 15 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Connor Photography wrote:
How many books were actually sold?

The print run was 300.

Sep 19 15 12:01 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

A really unbelievable story is when Madonna shot the "Sex" book with Steven Meisel. They printed one million copies, all numbered (my agent got me #2XX,XXX something), and the book sold out at $50 a copy in one day. I don't believe it was ever reprinted, and is a virtual tour de force by Meisel who chose to shoot in the style of five or six other famous photographers (deliberately making fun of his nick name, Xerox)

The fascinating thing about what Meisel accomplished is that he actually didn't copy so much as he became the other photographers. I saw pictures I could have sworn were direct copies, and when I checked they weren't, sometimes not even close. But Meisel got the essence ot the other photographer so perfectly you were tricked by the style into thinking you were looking at a copy.

Meisel even did a segment as a tip of the hat to Helmut Newton, who may be the most difficult photographer because his shooting style isn't what he is famous for. It's the ideas in the picture, only Newton (in my opinion) could tell a complete fashion story with a single picture. There is one shot done by Meisel of Madonna that captures the essence of Newton, which is unbelievable because the knock on Meisel is he isn't really all that original. The Newton picture forces you to completely rethink Meisel.

For any one interested in fashion photography, the Sex Book is a valuable asset. I can think of no other single book that gives you a look at the essence of some of the greatest fashion photographers ever, and it is all shot by one photographer!

John
--
John L. Fisher
700 Euclid Avenue, Suite 110
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Sep 19 15 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

John Fisher wrote:
A really unbelievable story is when Madonna shot the "Sex" book with Steven Meisel. They printed one million copies, all numbered (my agent got me #2XX,XXX something), and the book sold out at $50 a copy in one day. I don't believe it was ever reprinted, and is a virtual tour de force by Meisel who chose to shoot in the style of five or six other famous photographers (deliberately making fun of his nick name, Xerox)

The fascinating thing about what Meisel accomplished is that he actually didn't copy so much as he became the other photographers. I saw pictures I could have sworn were direct copies, and when I checked they weren't, sometimes not even close. But Meisel got the essence ot the other photographer so perfectly you were tricked by the style into thinking you were looking at a copy.

Meisel even did a segment as a tip of the hat to Helmut Newton, who may be the most difficult photographer because his shooting style isn't what he is famous for. It's the ideas in the picture, only Newton (in my opinion) could tell a complete fashion story with a single picture. There is one shot done by Meisel of Madonna that captures the essence of Newton, which is unbelievable because the knock on Meisel is he isn't really all that original. The Newton picture forces you to completely rethink Meisel.

For any one interested in fashion photography, the Sex Book is a valuable asset. I can think of no other single book that gives you a look at the essence of some of the greatest fashion photographers ever, and it is all shot by one photographer!

John
--
John L. Fisher
(305) 534-9322

This is interesting sure but it’s a completely different subject.  Mainly the power of celebrity.

Sep 20 15 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

John Fisher wrote:

John
--
John L. Fisher
(305) 534-9322

i hated that book.

avedon's poster of Nastassja Kinski and the python sold over 2 million copies...

Sep 20 15 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Al Green XM

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

Sometimes it just comes together

Sep 22 15 07:44 am Link