Forums > Photography Talk > Mirrorless Cameras? Future?

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Oct 17 15 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I switched to Fuji mirrorless a year and a half ago, mainly because I didn't link my Canon upgrade options and got tired of the big 2 stigma. Mirrorless cameras use lenses like anything else. The x100 with the leaf shutter and other compact mirrorless cameras have fixed focal length lenses...they also use an electronic viewfinder. I think with time, they will become more popular with certain genres of photographer, but I don't think them replacing DSLR's will ever happen. If they do, it's not in the near future.

Feel free to hit me up if any specific questions. Here are some articles I wrote about it. Pick through what you want.

http://www.jayfarrellphotography.com/?s=mirrorless

Oct 17 15 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Don't know what all the fuss is about.  I've been using mirrorless cameras since 1975, and the one I started with had been used by my uncle since 1945.

Oct 17 15 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

BTHPhoto wrote:
Don't know what all the fuss is about.  I've been using mirrorless cameras since 1975, and the one I started with had been used by my uncle since 1945.

Rangefinder big_smile

Oct 17 15 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Jay Farrell wrote:

Rangefinder big_smile

Well, I was thinking of view cameras, but rangefinders qualify too.  smile

Oct 17 15 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

I find it hard to believe that anyone really cares about the mirror in a DSLR.

Meaning, if people had their 5D or D800 and it was identical in every way other than the mirror, they wouldn't care. I bet most would eventually prefer the mirrorless version.

I think what mirrorless means to most people is a new body that won't work with the rest of what they already own.

Oct 17 15 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Mirrorless Cameras? Future?

I think mirrorless camera have more potentiality respect DSLR camera and when the actual limit will be overcome this thing will become more apparent.
But that don't means the end of the DSLR system only its substantial reduction.

Oct 17 15 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Mikey McMichaels wrote:
I find it hard to believe that anyone really cares about the mirror in a DSLR.

Meaning, if people had their 5D or D800 and it was identical in every way other than the mirror, they wouldn't care. I bet most would eventually prefer the mirrorless version.

I think what mirrorless means to most people is a new body that won't work with the rest of what they already own.

Less investment in the body, fantastic glass for the money, and significantly smaller / lighter weight are the draws. At the end of a long wedding my body is less fatigued for sure.

Oct 18 15 12:54 am Link

Photographer

Phantasmal Images

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I think eventually mirrorless cameras will replace DSLR's, but not until we start seeing Canon and Nikon making full frame mirrorless bodies.

Oct 18 15 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Phantasmal Images wrote:
I think eventually mirrorless cameras will replace DSLR's, but not until we start seeing Canon and Nikon making full frame mirrorless bodies.

I kindof doubt they will ever replace DSLR's, it's pretty plain that Canon and Nikon aren't taking Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, etc. seriously.

Oct 18 15 09:08 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1zuzana1150fssaturationinstagram.jpg
Not 36, not 42, but fifty megapixels....... fifty!!!!

The biggest difference between most mirrorless cameras and DSLR's is of course the electronic viewfinder. In the past using an electronic viewfinder resulted in a significant lag between what was actually happening and what was displayed on the viewfinder. With the modern mirrorless cameras that has been reduced to a point that it is essentially imperceptible. The advantage of electronic viewfinders is that they can display things like camera color corrections in the viewfinder in real time so you can make adjustments before you take the picture..

I first used a modern electronic viewfinder on a friend's Sony A77, and surprisingly after a few minutes found it to be comfortable to use. Now, the A77 wasn't really mirrorless, but it did have an electronic viewfinder, and I did like the camera. Sony has apparently decided to go with only the E mount on future new releases, which while somewhat painful, is probably the correct path forward for Sony. Supporting two separate lens mounts was awkward at best, and the farther Sony chased that rabbit down the hole, the more difficult it was becoming. (It reminds me of Nikon suffering with their problems attempting to support one lens mount for both their earlier cameras and what was then the new all electronic autofocus cameras).

Sony seems to have solved all (or most) of the problems with auto focus speed and accuracy with their recent line of mirrorless cameras, and as I said earlier the electronic view finder, while frightening to some, actually works quite well now. It is interesting to me with my bag of expensive Canon lenses that the newest Sony mirrorless camera seem to integrate Canon lenses without a loss in performance. It will also be interesting to find out how "friendly" Sony will be towards Nikon with their new sensor technology. The fact that Sony has spun off their sensor division as a separate company may bode well for Nikon. Or it may just the the beginning of Sony absorbing Nikon as their lens manufacturer (which I have erroneously been predicting for years!).

John
--
John L. Fisher
700 Euclid Avenue, Suite 110
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Oct 18 15 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i think mirrorless is latin for SLOW

my fuji x-pro1 can take great pictures, especially outside, but it's no replacement for my cannons: 5D MK II or 6D.

and if the big deal about mirror less is smaller well then eventually cellphones may trump mirror less.

i do like the fuji for product photography.

Oct 18 15 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

ontherocks wrote:

my fuji x-pro1 can take great pictures, especially outside, but it's no replacement for my cannons: 5D MK II or 6D.

and if the big deal about mirror less is smaller well then eventually cellphones may trump mirror less.

It's wonderful for weddings too!

Oct 18 15 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

I think Sony is making a Mint off their 7s and 7r's series...While Canon and Nikon are asleep at the wheel.

Mirrorless is here to stay.

When Sony makes the new 8r or 9r...I will give it whirl.  Nikon 810 is hard to give up. lol

Oct 18 15 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Jay Farrell wrote:

Less investment in the body, fantastic glass for the money, and significantly smaller / lighter weight are the draws. At the end of a long wedding my body is less fatigued for sure.

My mirrorless cost as much as a 5D3.

Oct 18 15 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Jay Farrell wrote:

I kindof doubt they will ever replace DSLR's, it's pretty plain that Canon and Nikon aren't taking Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, etc. seriously.

Of course they will.

EVFs and excellent high ISO performance have completely changed the exposure process.

Shutter speed and aperture don't need to be considered outside of esthetics any more. ISO can be labeled as brightness and then people can adjust the brightness by eye through the EVF.

Most people don't think this way yet, but eventually everyone will and DSLRs will be over. There's no benefit to having a mirror, though there are benefits to the rest of  what you get with a DSLR.

Oct 18 15 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

ontherocks wrote:

That may be accurate for that model, but the Sonys are plenty fast.

Oct 18 15 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

2 years ago I switched from Canon to Fuji and never looked back. I am an amateur and old enough to
appreciate the size and weight especially since I travel a good deal. As far as quality is concerned, for
what I do, I did not loose anything.

Oct 18 15 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Well I don't remember all the details of why the guy thought mirrorless cameras would win out, but he mentioned how some cameras can take 100 frame/second video since there would be fewer mechanical parts to slow things down and the photographer can basically pick out the exact moment they want to keep. To me anyway that seems like a major plus but I don't know how this affects quality and creating like 3MB photo files 100 times in a second seems tough to save that kind of data in a timely way?

Oct 19 15 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich II

San Diego, California, US

What's the flash sync on those various mirrorless cameras?

Oct 19 15 10:51 am Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

I've seen a lot of landscape photographers who are very happy with the Sony mirrorless systems. I've seen comparisons in the magazines and on line. But what I haven't seen is a discussion of mirrorless cameras in the studio using strobes. How does the EVF work in a darkened studio with only modeling lights to go by? Is it sensitive enough? And does it get "blinded" when the strobes fire?

Oct 19 15 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

Mortonovich II wrote:

I found this article enlightening: http://thisweekinphoto.com/sync-speed-m … s-cameras/

Oct 19 15 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Mortonovich II wrote:

typically 1/180 to 1/250

Oct 19 15 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Mortonovich II wrote:

That's why the x100 series is popular, leaf shutter. Many pros are turned off my no HSS even with capable flashes or ETTL, but I'm making it work just fine personally.

Oct 19 15 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Mikey McMichaels wrote:

Of course they will.

EVFs and excellent high ISO performance have completely changed the exposure process.

Shutter speed and aperture don't need to be considered outside of esthetics any more. ISO can be labeled as brightness and then people can adjust the brightness by eye through the EVF.

Most people don't think this way yet, but eventually everyone will and DSLRs will be over. There's no benefit to having a mirror, though there are benefits to the rest of  what you get with a DSLR.

I think it will be a Mac PC thing for quite a while at least, it won't suit everyone even with improvements. We'll see if it happens in our lifetime.

Oct 19 15 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mike McGee Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Phantasmal Images wrote:

I agree with this completely.

Sony is killing it for the time being, and their offerings are VERY tempting. However, I feel that people heavily invested in team Canon or Nikon gear/glass might be waiting on the sidelines until Canon/Nikon step up and go FF mirrorless. I know I am.

Oct 19 15 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

I think Canon and Nikon kind of missed the boat thinking that bigger is better!.......

Oct 19 15 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

MATT TAN PHOTOGRAPHY

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

To those who keep saying they wait for a mirrorless by Nik or Can because of their investment in glass in their present setup...
that is pretty senseless because SLR and DSLR lenses do not mount on mirrorless.

To those who say only Nik and Can know about cameras,
you forgot that Leica was the only one doing rangefinders and were the top , if not the only cameras many pros used in the heydays of 35mm. In mirrorless, Linux is Leica. And Nikon and Canon never made a rangefinder worthy to replace any Leica cameras till today.

As they say, the world does not revolve around Nikon and Canon. I am not anti-Nikon, as my first 35mm was a Nikon f, and a Nikonos, but I also used 2 Rolleiflexes ( SL1000 and SLX ), and in the 35mm format, I also used OM2, K1000,
and have been a big user of Pentax and Oly as well.

To say you only you one brand of camera, is like a painter saying he only uses one brand of brushes.
As Ansel Adams used to profess in his seminars, "there are no bad cameras ; only bad photographers". The great Karsh also said that when I got to meet with him in his Ottawa Chateau Laurier office , after I graduated from NYI and moved to the capital to begin my freelance as a photographer there. 
Mr. Karsh told me when I asked if Olympus OM2 is good enough for pro work, said the same thing as Mr. Adams.

Oct 28 15 08:15 am Link

Photographer

MATT TAN PHOTOGRAPHY

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:
I came across an article and video which I didn't fully understand about new mirrorless cameras that also don't use lens. Is this type of thing the future? How does it work?

In reply to your question, mirrorless is the type of camera like the old Leica cameras of the 35mm days. SLR used a prism mirror so you can shoot what you see. Without the mirror, the camera body is thinner and it sync at a higher speed for flash.
There are advantages using mirrorless over a SLR, but there are also disadvantages, or rather, something you have to rethink when you switch back and forth with a SLR and a mirrorless.

I shoot with both DSLR and mirrorless, and it has come to be 2nd nature after awhile, as in the days when I was shooting with a view camera, medium format rolleiflex, and SLRs as rangefingers.

There is a lot to gain going mirrorless, and the only way to find out if you like it or not, is to try one. Go rent one and shoot and find out if it works for you.
As I said, I shoot with both mirrorless and DSLR these days ... and the only difference I feel is the weight of the DSLR.

Remember too, that your SLR lenses do not work on mirrorless. The lenses of the mirrorless is much smaller and the body is also very thin, since it does not have to have the pentaprism in the body.
I hope that helps.

Oct 28 15 08:22 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I've started shooting photos more and more with my mirrorless.  I bought it to make videos.  It now is doing about 25% of my photography work as well.  Most of my pictures are for wedding albums and it's no different for prints.  My big boy nikons are still used for the wedding day but i find myself using my panasonic for pre nup shoots now.  I love the lightness and I feel I capture something a little different when I am moving fast with the camera.  For set shots it doesn't really make a difference though.  I don't see it as a this or that.  I usually only have a couple of lenses around per camera when I go out anyway.  I don't need ten lenses.

Oct 28 15 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

MATT TAN PHOTOGRAPHY  wrote:
Remember too, that your SLR lenses do not work on mirrorless. The lenses of the mirrorless is much smaller and the body is also very thin, since it does not have to have the pentaprism in the body.

Well.... with an adapter, all my old AI nikkor lenses work fine with my micro4/3 mirrorless camera.  But this is nothing new.

Oct 28 15 09:36 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

MATT TAN PHOTOGRAPHY  wrote:
To those who keep saying they wait for a mirrorless by Nik or Can because of their investment in glass in their present setup...
that is pretty senseless because SLR and DSLR lenses do not mount on mirrorless.

To those who say only Nik and Can know about cameras,
you forgot that Leica was the only one doing rangefinders and were the top , if not the only cameras many pros used in the heydays of 35mm. In mirrorless, Linux is Leica. And Nikon and Canon never made a rangefinder worthy to replace any Leica cameras till today.

As they say, the world does not revolve around Nikon and Canon. I am not anti-Nikon, as my first 35mm was a Nikon f, and a Nikonos, but I also used 2 Rolleiflexes ( SL1000 and SLX ), and in the 35mm format, I also used OM2, K1000,
and have been a big user of Pentax and Oly as well.

To say you only you one brand of camera, is like a painter saying he only uses one brand of brushes.
As Ansel Adams used to profess in his seminars, "there are no bad cameras ; only bad photographers". The great Karsh also said that when I got to meet with him in his Ottawa Chateau Laurier office , after I graduated from NYI and moved to the capital to begin my freelance as a photographer there. 
Mr. Karsh told me when I asked if Olympus OM2 is good enough for pro work, said the same thing as Mr. Adams.

OP...Your Beginning Statement is a What? Please Keep up. Metabones, Novoflex, and on and on. You can Place Canon L or Nikon G onto Sony's A7 Series Easily.  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct … JEYE-Sse8g

Oct 28 15 09:57 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I can see one HUGE reason why mirrorless will become the next big thing.
Sales and Marketing!

The latest DSLR's from the major players are basically the same old thing, maybe with a few more pixels and a touch screen, but nothing that truly warrants someone to run out and purchase one right away.

The manufacturers need a new and different reason for people to run out and buy a higher end camera.  The mirrorless system is a viable answer!  I'm kind of surprised Canikon haven't really done that yet.

One of the reasons that hindered the development of mirrorless systems is that the viewfinder was too small for the optical systems (ie: Olympus e-300) or that the monitors weren't clear enough for the electronic viewfinder systems, but the latest models have monitors so clear that you'd swear that you're looking through an optical viewfinder.

Oct 28 15 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Mirrorless is causing Canon some financial problems: second quarter profits are down 21%, partly due to customers going for other companies' mirrorless products rather than Canon DSLRs.

http://petapixel.com/2015/10/27/canon-p … slr-sales/

Oct 28 15 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

The biggest pro and con to mirrorless is the size. I usually use something around a 50mm prime, so the size is a huge plus. But if you regularly use a 14-24 or a 70-200, the size is a disadvantage.

I think it's pretty safe to say that lenses will shrink a bit more as more R&D is dumped into mirrorless systems. But I doubt they will shrink much. And even though a given lens can be a little smaller on a mirrorless because it doesn't project as far, it's still covering the same size sensor, so it can't be too much smaller. Look at Sony's 70-200 f/4 versus Nikon's or Canon's; it's smaller, but still in the same ballpark.

If you're using big lenses, there will always be a benefit to DSLRs, even if it's just the weight and grip size. But if not, then it's hard to spot a purely objective difference. At least in the price range where most cameras are sold.

I wouldn't be surprised if ten years from now, Nikon and Canon had a lineup like Sony did recently: a cheap DSLR for students, and a pro model. Really the only market at that time will be people using giant lenses, and people that think they will some day.

Most of the mirrorless flaws are processing related. For instance, current models don't actually have a shutter delay. We perceive one, but it's not there. What happens is that the screen doesn't update as fast as a real image reflected through mirrors, and in low light the 'shutter speed' on that video the EVF shows you is slower. So when you're looking through the EVF, especially in low light, what you're seeing is an image that is just a split-second ago. So when you push that shutter button, even though it triggers instantly, you perceive it as triggering late. And based on what you see on-screen, it IS late. But if you take the camera away from your face, and just hit the shutter button, you'll find that the delay on most current mirrorless models is no better or worse than DSLRs in that price range.

What that means is that the technology itself is capable of firing instantly. With better processors, and the increased speed and reduced ISO noise that comes from them, we'll see less and less of a delay through the viewfinder.

I had this problem with the first mirrorless Olympus made. If I set it to manual focus and clicked away, it was as snappy as anything. But if I tried to use the screen or the external EVF, it seemed like I always missed the shot. Using the 17mm and the optical finder that went with it, I didn't miss nearly as many shots.

Oct 28 15 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

Managing Light wrote:
Mirrorless is causing Canon some financial problems: second quarter profits are down 21%, partly due to customers going for other companies' mirrorless products rather than Canon DSLRs.

http://petapixel.com/2015/10/27/canon-p … slr-sales/

That doesn't surprise me.

The mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras really shines when shooting non-action shots in natural light, or studio if it has an EVF.

Oct 28 15 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i don't think i could ever see myself buying a sony. their user interface guy is on drugs (it's usually like a whacked out version of donkey kong!) plus they have a proprietary hot shoe.

and i think that even the newer fujis are faster than the x-pro1 so maybe i'll get a new fuji at some point. but the fuji has trouble preserving highlights especially in situations like people on a stage with glary lights shining down on them (don't know about the sonys in that regard but my canons nail it in that situation).

Mikey McMichaels wrote:
That may be accurate for that model, but the Sonys are plenty fast.

Oct 28 15 08:16 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Canon is supposedly working on a mirrorless full-frame for 2016.

http://petapixel.com/2015/10/28/canon-r … -m-camera/

Hopefully Canon will work retro with their current series of lenses.  Sony sort of scares me as they dump something quickly and just move on to something better (e.g. Memory cards, lens mounts, batteries, wired/optical ports, hot shoe designs, etc.), hence not really a system camera you can grow with, just toss it out in 3 years and buy their newest system -- imho.

Oct 28 15 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Jay Farrell wrote:
Canon and Nikon aren't taking Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, etc. seriously.

Because of their conflict of interest with their DSLR line-up they understimate this segment and I think that this situation will continue until happen a substantial reduction in the DSLR market held by these two producers.
And I think this could happen when the mirrorless camera gain AF performance comparable with the top end DSLR camera and the producers decide to produce more ergonomic bodies (that on the case means bigger so more confortable to hanlde which would give the possibility to accommodate batteries with better autonomy).

Oct 29 15 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
The biggest pro and con to mirrorless is the size. I usually use something around a 50mm prime, so the size is a huge plus. But if you regularly use a 14-24 or a 70-200, the size is a disadvantage.

I think it's pretty safe to say that lenses will shrink a bit more as more R&D is dumped into mirrorless systems. But I doubt they will shrink much. And even though a given lens can be a little smaller on a mirrorless because it doesn't project as far, it's still covering the same size sensor, so it can't be too much smaller. Look at Sony's 70-200 f/4 versus Nikon's or Canon's; it's smaller, but still in the same ballpark.

If you're using big lenses, there will always be a benefit to DSLRs, even if it's just the weight and grip size. But if not, then it's hard to spot a purely objective difference. At least in the price range where most cameras are sold.

I wouldn't be surprised if ten years from now, Nikon and Canon had a lineup like Sony did recently: a cheap DSLR for students, and a pro model. Really the only market at that time will be people using giant lenses, and people that think they will some day.

Most of the mirrorless flaws are processing related. For instance, current models don't actually have a shutter delay. We perceive one, but it's not there. What happens is that the screen doesn't update as fast as a real image reflected through mirrors, and in low light the 'shutter speed' on that video the EVF shows you is slower. So when you're looking through the EVF, especially in low light, what you're seeing is an image that is just a split-second ago. So when you push that shutter button, even though it triggers instantly, you perceive it as triggering late. And based on what you see on-screen, it IS late. But if you take the camera away from your face, and just hit the shutter button, you'll find that the delay on most current mirrorless models is no better or worse than DSLRs in that price range.

What that means is that the technology itself is capable of firing instantly. With better processors, and the increased speed and reduced ISO noise that comes from them, we'll see less and less of a delay through the viewfinder.

I had this problem with the first mirrorless Olympus made. If I set it to manual focus and clicked away, it was as snappy as anything. But if I tried to use the screen or the external EVF, it seemed like I always missed the shot. Using the 17mm and the optical finder that went with it, I didn't miss nearly as many shots.

Leica has a new mirrorless camera that's the size of a dlsr. I don't know what Sony's plans are as far as camera size. But imo, it would make much more since to replace the A99 with a mirrorless system. My A99 is a evf with a translucent mirror. But with the faster mirrorless cameras that are now out. I no longer see the point of the translucent systems.

Oct 29 15 07:36 am Link