Forums > Photography Talk > Accidental discharge? weapon? Safety procedures.

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

I did some searches but was unable to find any threads that address gun safety at a shoot.

A recent shot brought this to my attention again and I thought I'd put this out for review and comment so that we can all stay together and in one piece and avoid tragedy.

[I have spoken to a couple people who were at a shoot where someone died (not weapon related) so I know that safety concerns are not merely theoretical. There is blame, guilt, etc. and it ruins the shoot!]

First, what reports are there, if any, of accidental discharges at shoots whether MM people or not? with what results?
I was at a studio Atlanta where the manager reported that the military training video involved weapons and that the soldier accidentally discharged a round into the green screen (fortunately no harm done to humans). I also remember seeing on YouTube the undercover cop shooting himself on the leg while doing a demonstration for grade schoolers--then calmly continuing his talk!  But these were not MM people--we're more professional than that! Is that a true statement?

Second, what safety procedures do you use, or should one use, to prevent accidental discharges?
My instructions via e-mail to the model are:
* no matter who gives you the weapon, double check to see for yourself that it's unloaded.
* even if it's unloaded, do NOT aim it at anything you're not willing to blow away.
* do NOT pull the trigger.
When the model arrives at the shoot, we cover these instructions verbally.

[Fortunately, I've never had to deal with anyone who was inebriated, intoxicated or otherwise lacking control of their faculties due to age or drugs but obviously that would preclude proceeding with these instructions.]

However, once a tog wanted a shot aimed at the camera in violation of those rules and requested the model point it at his camera. Fortunately, there was no accident but the way to capture such a shot safely is to put the camera on a tripod and use a remote release so that the tog is never in the line of fire!

At another shoot a model requested that the bullets be displayed on the floor as props.
Another model objected and didn't want to have bullets even in the same room as the weapon.
While I thought that was excessively cautious, I didn't attempt to overrule.

Anything else that best practices would suggest?

Oct 18 15 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

Lest anyone think I'm an anti-gun liberal, I am proud to be an NRA member, proud to be a hunter, and proud to be an owner of a good number of guns. That said, I can think of no good reason to take photos of scantily clad women with guns, whether pointing them at the photographer, or his camera on a tripod, or off in some other direction, unless it is a well-conceived image to be used in advertising some product related to the shooting sports. Otherwise, it inflames passions on both sides of the issue, something we don't need, especially now in the political silly season.

Oct 18 15 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I used a borrowed toy replica cap gun in my cowgirl shot. Looked real enough and was completely safe.

Oct 18 15 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I have a replica pistol in one of my photos.

Oct 18 15 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Jee - I don't know - seems like a discussion about nothing - pretty self evident - Just don't permit any bullets in the studio. Makes any concerns pretty moot.

Oct 18 15 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Marco R

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I have a replica pistol in one of my photos.

That is a good option. Also, have the gun made inoperable, if a semiauto, which is simply done by removing the firing pin. Any person able to disassemble it for cleaning will be able to do it.

In most shooting sports where there is live fire and the shooter is not from a static positon all the time, there always a 2nd person overseeing the shooter, the Range Officer or Safety Officer, depending of the specific sport. The main function of the Range Office/Safety Officer is to make sure that the gun comes unloaded to the start position, is loaded safely and after completing shooting it is unloaded, holstered and locked properly. In no circumstance a shooter may remove a gun from the holster, even unloaded at any time during a match unless at presence and by command of the Range Officer / Safety Officer.

Similar, in a photo shooting (no pun intended) a 2nd person should be responsible for handling any gun at the studio, checking it before handling to anyone for photo usage, getting it back and keeping it under his/her control when not in use. The person receiving the gun should also be briefed on gun safety before be allowed to handle it.

Again, I would use a replica whenever it would be possible.

Oct 18 15 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … rifle.html

Accidents do happen. Solutions are often self evident...in hindsight.

Preventing them is the trick!

Oct 18 15 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

I've done gun shoots and really, quit the drama. Unloaded guns don't do anything and to the NRA member I support guns, wish we all had them and we're trained with them from a early age. But I'm not PC and could care less about people's opposition to protect themselves that's their choice . Their are so many things much more dangerous on a shoot than a gun..

Oct 18 15 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Marco R wrote:
That is a good option. Also, have the gun made inoperable, if a semiauto, which is simply done by removing the firing pin. Any person able to disassemble it for cleaning will be able to do it.

In most shooting sports where there is live fire and the shooter is not from a static positon all the time, there always a 2nd person overseeing the shooter, the Range Officer or Safety Officer, depending of the specific sport. The main function of the Range Office/Safety Officer is to make sure that the gun comes unloaded to the start position, is loaded safely and after completing shooting it is unloaded, holstered and locked properly. In no circumstance a shooter may remove a gun from the holster, even unloaded at any time during a match unless at presence and by command of the Range Officer / Safety Officer.

Similar, in a photo shooting (no pun intended) a 2nd person should be responsible for handling any gun at the studio, checking it before handling to anyone for photo usage, getting it back and keeping it under his/her control when not in use.The person receiving the gun should also be briefed on gun safety before be allowed to handle it.

Again, I would use a replica whenever it would be possible.

Good information.  The safety officer, sometimes called an "Armorer" in the movie business, should be present on the set at all times that a functional firearm is present.  The safety officer's job is to make sure that all weapons are "cleared" prior to being handed to models for shooting photos, movies etc.  At times that weapons are present but not being used in a scene, they should be in possession of and under control of the safety officer.  Great point about not pointing a functional gun at a model, actor or actress.  Even a blank can do serious damage and/or cause the death of a member of the cast or crew.   Scenes can be choreographed to that no person is in the line of fire of a real weapon.  Airsoft replicas are pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing and are by far preferable to using real, modern weapons.  I use black powder blanks in the production of Westerns.  It's important to realize that burning particles of powder are capable of causing injury as far as 25 yards down range in black powder blanks.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120718/01/50067023b5dd5.jpg

Oct 18 15 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I've done a few shoots with firearms, including a couple WWII-themed shoots.

We had a few rules. One, no firing pins. Two, no live ammo - all the ammo we had was empty, and we drilled holes in the side of the casings so that people could visually see that. If someone wasn't happy with the holes, that's what Photoshop is for.

Three, in our larger shoot that was available to the public, the trigger grouping was removed from the prop rifle, and the dummy ammo was of a slightly larger caliber, so it wouldn't even fit in the rifle.

Of course removing the trigger and using the wrong ammo doesn't make it safer. With no firing pin and dummy ammo, the rifle is already not going to go off. But the important thing is that everyone at the shoot could see from several feet away that there was absolutely no threat, even if they weren't familiar with firearms.

Oct 18 15 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

I think you are all going way overboard to out do the each other how safe you would be , it's  a gun with out bull it's it's a chunk of Steel, being PC correct is just silly, dear god get a grip a blade causes more injuries and death than a gun...

Oct 18 15 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

FFantastique wrote:
I did some searches but was unable to find any threads that address gun safety at a shoot.

Well a replica that fires blanks would probably be your safest bet. I'm looking into buying one of these

Oct 19 15 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

FFantastique wrote:
...First, what reports are there, if any, of accidental discharges at shoots

Surely you jest!  Guess you have been out of the loop for a lit' while... a.k.a. missed the $14-million movie "The Crow," produced by Edward Pressman and Jeff Most...

Actor Brandon Lee, the 28-year-old son of the late kung fu star Bruce Lee, was killed by simulated gunfire during filming of "The Crow"...

Enough said...

FFantastique wrote:
...What safety procedures do you use, or should one use...

Direct quote from my NRA Safe Pistol Course

Never point a weapon's muzzle at anything you do not want to destroy

This was enumerated again in the NRA Basics of Personal Protection in the Home, The Basics of Personal Protection Outside the Home, and The Basics of Rifle Shooting... My NRA firearms instructor was a Marine Veteran who served 20 years as a sniper instructor.   btw, my studio is only minutes away from the NRA headquarters in Fairfax, VA.

I personally recommend the aforementioned course before obtaining a firearm.  There are some things that simply don't lend themselves to being self taught... 

FFantastique wrote:
Anything else that best practices would suggest?

Speak with the agent for your professional liability insurance policy on the matters of having firearms on set and heed their guidance...  You do have professional liability insurance, correct?

Oct 19 15 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Light and Lens Studio wrote:
I use black powder blanks in the production of Westerns.  It's important to realize that burning particles of powder are capable of causing injury as far as 25 yards down range in black powder blanks.

I've never used a firearm on a photoshoot but my real job is in movies.  One movie a few years ago had *heavy* automatic weapons use. Like 10 guys in a room delivering sustained fully automatic fire at another guy in the room (fun fact.. the armorers told me we spent over $100,000 just in ammunition in 8 days of shooting).  Well part of the shooting was to capture the one guy's POV.. which meant putting a steady cam operator in the line of fire. Many safety precautions later in he went.  Many takes (over many days) and he was fine.. until one time.. when a shard of a shell casing split off and shot out of the barrel.. and into his gut.  It only penetrated less than an inch but it took him out of commission for a couple of days and if he hadn't been wearing as much gear as he was and/or the shard headed towards his face rather than his torso then the result could have been much, much worse.

Oct 19 15 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

There is no reason to use a real gun on a photoshoot, none. 

I have two images in my current series (based on old pulp covers) that make use of guns and have several more planned.  I do not allow a real gun on set.  The Thompson submachine gun used in one is a led filled prop and the Colt .45 is a BB gun that is made from an actual colt (so real in every aspect that I will not give it to my girlfriends son as it is totally indistinguishable from my real colt unless you stare straight down the barrel.  Materials, weight, action - it's all exactly the same.

If you search the web you will find no shortage of prop/air guns for use in photoshoots.

Oct 19 15 07:23 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Deep Visions wrote:
Well a replica that fires blanks would probably be your safest bet. I'm looking into buying one of these

Total misinformation.  Blanks often have "wads".  I have a .44 cal hole in a wall in one of my sets that was caused by wadding in a blank.  Blanks can cause serious injury or even death.

Oct 19 15 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

D a v i d s o n wrote:
I think you are all going way overboard to out do the each other how safe you would be , it's  a gun with out bull it's it's a chunk of Steel, being PC correct is just silly, dear god get a grip a blade causes more injuries and death than a gun...

You sound like an accident waiting to happen.  Over confidence and cockiness are what kill in situations like this... yes even with knives.

There's no such thing as being "too safe" there's being safe and being unsafe. That's it.

Oct 19 15 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

D a v i d s o n wrote:

What a idiotic attitude.  Being safe with guns, particularly at a photoshoot or on a movie set where most participants are unfamilar with firearms is just good common sense, not "PC".   People like you give responsible shooters a bad name.  Your cavalier attitude definitely does not represent the feelings of most shooters.

Oct 19 15 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:

I have two images in my current series (based on old pulp covers) that make use of guns and have several more planned.  I do not allow a real gun on set.  The Thompson submachine gun used in one is a led filled prop and the Colt .45 is a BB gun that is made from an actual colt (so real in every aspect that I will not give it to my girlfriends son as it is totally indistinguishable from my real colt unless you stare straight down the barrel.  Materials, weight, action - it's all exactly the same.

If you search the web you will find no shortage of prop/air guns for use in photoshoots.

Indeed.  And if muzzle flash is needed then that's what compositing is for.  Get some images of real muzzle flash (preferably on black) and comp it in. Easy peasy.  If you need interative lighting then you can do that on set as well.  We do this all the time in movies (mainly because muzzle flash is actually very difficult to capture at 24 frames per second but also because in some cases they can't use live fire) so it's really a no brainer.

Oct 19 15 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Wye wrote:

You sound like an accident waiting to happen.  Over confidence and cockiness are what kill in situations like this... yes even with knives.

There's no such thing as being "too safe" there's being safe and being unsafe. That's it.

Yes, this!

Oct 19 15 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Here's a story from a guy who was "completely, absolutely 1,000,000% positive the gun was unloaded".. right up until he accidentally fired the gun into his kitchen wall.

http://www.ehowa.com/mythoughts/handgunsafety.shtml

(NSFW images on that page... just general nudity and stuff from his blog).

Very interesting story.  He learned his lesson.  Luckily he learned it without someone being injured or dying.

Oct 19 15 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm pretty sure that the armorers on my film sets would be happy to be considered "too PC" if the alternative is to have someone injured by one of their weapons.

Oct 19 15 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Black powder blanks can have other effects too. We shot a movie maybe 8 years ago that had an electric machine gun being shot from a helicopter.  They wanted real muzzle flash and noise so after what seemed like half a day of setup and precautions they started shooting (both film and blanks).  Trouble is that with the high rate of fire and large loads in the blanks, the gun was constantly jamming -- all of the un or partially burnt powder kept gumming up the works.  Took *way* longer than needed to get the shot.  In the end we just comped in muzzle flash and CG ejecting shell casings over an empty (but spinning) gun.  Worked perfectly.  They would have saved many thousands of dollars if they did it that way from the start.

Oct 19 15 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Wye wrote:
Indeed.  And if muzzle flash is needed then that's what compositing is for.  Get some images of real muzzle flash (preferably on black) and comp it in. Easy peasy.  If you need interative lighting then you can do that on set as well.  We do this all the time in movies (mainly because muzzle flash is actually very difficult to capture at 24 frames per second but also because in some cases they can't use live fire) so it's really a no brainer.

Yep:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/151019/08/56250ca8a5a53.jpg

If you look at what the actual laws are for having firearms on a set, in all likelihood, you'll have to hire a cop for the day at the very least and have special insurance.  It's just not worth it for something that takes an hour in post.  Not to mention the fact that you will get a better result (and I say this as someone who has photographed actual guns shooting).

Oct 19 15 08:38 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

D a v i d s o n wrote:

What a idiotic attitude.  Being safe with guns, particularly at a photoshoot or on a movie set where most participants are unfamilar with firearms is just good common sense, not "PC".   People like you give responsible shooters a bad name.  Your cavalier attitude definitely does not represent the feelings of most shooters.

Give Davidson a break!

Don't you know about 'dem ricocheting blades when they are accidentally flung across the room? evilgrin

Btw. my buddy is a gunsmith, ex-green beret, Vietnam vet and NRA member and still an expert marksman... we talk a lot about guns and gun safety, despite me being on the "guns are not necessary" side... and he'd get ballistic if he'd listen to Davidson's attitude!

Oct 19 15 08:52 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

one of my cousins was killed when she tossed a rifle into the back of a pickup truck and the gun went off.

seems to me if everyone is armed to the teeth there's definitely the chance for accidents and also for overly-excitable people to shoot each other in the heat of the moment.

but maybe if they had a police presence at every school that might help limit the carnage.

Oct 19 15 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

The Thompson submachine gun used in one is a led filled prop and the Colt .45 is a BB gun that is made from an actual colt (so real in every aspect that I will not give it to my girlfriends son as it is totally indistinguishable from my real colt unless you stare straight down the barrel.  Materials, weight, action - it's all exactly the same.

The replica's (air soft and others) are so accurate that manufacturers are required by law to incorporate bright orange muzzles on them to (hopefully) avert kids playing with them being mistaken for having the real thing and being shot by law enforcement.  There is at least one fairly infamous case of a teen being shot by police while brandishing a replica weapon.

If you look at what the actual laws are for having firearms on a set, in all likelihood, you'll have to hire a cop for the day at the very least and have special insurance.  It's just not worth it for something that takes an hour in post.  Not to mention the fact that you will get a better result (and I say this as someone who has photographed actual guns shooting).

There is no federal law specifically directed at regulation of firearms on a set as long as the firearms are legally owned.  Most states do not have regulations directed specifically at the presence of firearms on a photo shoot location or movie set.  NY has very strict gun laws (many of them are probably unconstitutional) so I can't speak to what may or may not be the case in NY.   So, it is unlikely that in areas other than NY, Chicago, Detroit, DC/Baltimore, and other areas with restrictive gun laws, that it would be necessary to hire a law enforcement person in order to have real firearms on a set.

As a certified Range Safety Officer, I personally no longer use or allow real cartridge firing weapons to be used as props on my photoshoot locations or movie sets.  Simply not worth the risk.  I do use real replicas in my Westerns, but they are "cap and ball" weapons.  No caps, lead bullets/balls, or powder allowed unless it's a shoot where black powder effects (smoke and fire) are required.  Then, no live actors or actresses are allowed downrange from where blanks are being fired.

Ahhhhh.  I do love the smell of black powder smoke in the morning.

Oct 19 15 09:03 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

On this side of the pond the matter simply doers not arise with amateurs. Film studios have very clear regulations to follow.

As for:

FFantastique wrote:
I was at a studio Atlanta where the manager reported that the military training video involved weapons and that the soldier accidentally discharged a round into the green screen (fortunately no harm done to humans).

Military personnel in the UK would not have loaded weapons in that situation unless, again, it was under very strict conditions. Loaded weapons away from active duty and designated training grounds - No.

Oct 19 15 09:46 am Link

Photographer

SOP photo

Hannibal, Missouri, US

Unless a firearm has been dissambled to the point where it is unoperable (firing mechanism removed) I consider all firearms to be loaded and capable of being fired. This applies even if I have just personally unloaded the weapon. At the range, if someone is venturing down range, no one is allowed to touch a weapon until the person has returned and the range is clear.

Oct 19 15 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

The Thompson submachine gun used in one is a led filled prop and the Colt .45 is a BB gun that is made from an actual colt (so real in every aspect that I will not give it to my girlfriends son as it is totally indistinguishable from my real colt unless you stare straight down the barrel.  Materials, weight, action - it's all exactly the same.

The replica's (air soft and others) are so accurate that manufacturers are required by law to incorporate bright orange muzzles on them to (hopefully) avert kids playing with them being mistaken for having the real thing and being shot by law enforcement.  There is at least one fairly infamous case of a teen being shot by police while brandishing a replica weapon.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150908/11/55ef2de912e78.jpg

This is a video demonstration of the BB gun I purchased for the above photo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikCiN4NFbGY

Here is the model I purchased on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Tanfoglio-358003- … B005WIA0EQ

No orange muzzle.  The Thompson submachine gun did have an orange plug inside the barrel, not visible from the side.  Neither was an airsoft gun.

California also has laws pertaining to guns on film/photo sets, but you're right, I am not familiar with the laws in Florida on this issue, but seeing how much filming goes on down there, I would't be surprised if they had similar legislation.

Oct 19 15 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Here is the model I purchased on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Tanfoglio-358003- … B005WIA0EQ

No orange muzzle.  The Thompson submachine gun did have an orange plug inside the barrel, not visible from the side.  Neither was an airsoft gun.

California also has laws pertaining to guns on film/photo sets, but you're right, I am not familiar with the laws in Florida on this issue, but seeing how much filming goes on down there, I would't be surprised if they had similar legislation.

It appears that the "BB" guns have found some sort of loophole in the law requiring the orange muzzle plug requirement.  That is sad. 

If I were purchasing a replica, I'd go for the airsoft model.  Both models have a projectile muzzle velocity in excess of 300 fps.  A direct hit to the eye with either the BB or the airsoft projectile could cause blindness.  The airsoft might have a little wider margin of safety since the projectile is plastic, has a lower density and greater cross sectional area, hence it loses velocity more rapidly. 

I've had both crew and cast get carried away with props on movie sets.  Not good, even with airsoft if they somehow get loaded.  So, I give all the airsoft BB's that come with the weapons to my grandson to use in supervised airsoft "battles"

Nothing is foolproof unless you eliminate the fools.

Oct 19 15 10:25 am Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

udor wrote:

D a v i d s o n wrote:

Give Davidson a break!

Don't you know about 'dem ricocheting blades when they are accidentally flung across the room? evilgrin

Btw. my buddy is a gunsmith, ex-green beret, Vietnam vet and NRA member and still an expert marksman... we talk a lot about guns and gun safety, despite me being on the "guns are not necessary" side... and he'd get ballistic if he'd listen to Davidson's attitude!

I stand by what I said a gun without a bullet is a chunk of steel.  And BTW my buddy bla bla dosen't mean a thing, week thing to say reminds me of "Oh i'm not raciest I have a black friend" . Also for the PC safety patrol, I'm not here to represent anyone or their feelings, just my answer to the post.

Oct 19 15 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Wye wrote:

I wouldn't say I was cocky, Confident yes but not over there's no such thing as being "too confident" there's being confident and being unconfident. That's it.

Oct 19 15 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

D a v i d s o n wrote:
I stand by what I said a gun without a bullet is a chunk of steel.  And BTW my buddy bla bla dosen't mean a thing, week thing to say reminds me of "Oh i'm not raciest I have a black friend" . Also for the PC safety patrol, I'm not here to represent anyone or their feelings, just my answer to the post.

Since when is being safe and careful with lives and property being PC?  What a goofy use of that term.

And since you haven't seemed to notice from the discussion.  The issue isn't the properties of a gun when it's not loaded.  It's knowing for certain that it isn't loaded and being able to verify that at a glance while still having the weapon look realistic. Accidents happen.  Actors and models don't always know how to see if a gun is safe (unloaded). People get careless.

An abundance of caution is warranted when someone's life is on the line.  You seem to think that this is about being anti gun.. how silly. This is about keeping people safe.

Oct 19 15 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Wye wrote:

Since when is being safe and careful with lives and property being PC?  What a goofy use of that term.

And since you haven't seemed to notice from the discussion.  The issue isn't the properties of a gun when it's not loaded.  It's knowing for certain that it isn't loaded and being able to verify that at a glance while still having the weapon look realistic. Accidents happen.  Actors and models don't always know how to see if a gun is safe (unloaded). People get careless.

An abundance of caution is warranted when someone's life is on the line.  You seem to think that this is about being anti gun.. how silly. This is about keeping people safe.

The first part of making a gun safe is unloading it and not having the amo anywhere near it . The 2nd is to show visibly to model it's not loaded. beyond that is getting a bit to much to go any further .

Oct 19 15 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

D a v i d s o n wrote:
The first part of making a gun safe is unloading it and not having the amo anywhere near it . The 2nd is to show visibly to model it's not loaded. beyond that is getting a bit to much to go any further .

The third is making sure that gun is always secured on set. Maybe you only shoot with a model. I shoot with multiple models and a crew, some of whome are just hired guns (so to speak). Sometimes we are loading and unloading a truck filled with gear and set pieces and props. The last thing I need is a real gun to go missing. It's just stupid and irresponsible to have a real firearm on set unless absolutely necessary.

Oct 19 15 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

In my neighborhood, there is lots of production done using weapons . . . both real and fake.

Here's some information that you might find useful . . . .

http://tomantosfilms.com/2699/movie-guns/

http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/20/guns- … heir-guns/

http://tag.wonderhowto.com/make-movie-prop-guns/

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/02/tutoria … ic-less-10

Oct 19 15 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow and Light Photos

Williamsburg, Virginia, US

Wye wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the armorers on my film sets would be happy to be considered "too PC" if the alternative is to have someone injured by one of their weapons.

Whether on a movie set or a photo shoot, this seems the reasonable position. Being sensitive to the concerns of others applies to the image that results. Everyone should leave the set or studio as they arrived and not need medical attention or a coroner.

Oct 19 15 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

I never allow anyone to use a real weapon on site, unless I see them Safety Check it first (remove magazine, and open the chamber, and physically show me the empty chamber, and they have to leave it that way) and no ammo on the set.   I also don't let them handle the weapon until they are in front of the camera, then I do my own Safety Check on the weapon, before  I give them their own weapon to use.   I also have  a BB gun that looks like the real thing, so if they don't have a real weapon, I'll furnish that. for the shoot.

As my Drill Instructor used to say, "A bullet has no brains.  It'll go where you aim it".

Oct 19 15 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

D a v i d s o n wrote:
Give Davidson a break!

You are living proof that people do not learn by "osmosis" from being in the presence of someone knowledgeable about firearms (or anything else for that matter).  I think it might be safer to go bird hunting with Dick Cheney than be around you if there is a weapon in the room. 

D a v i d s o n wrote:

Well, I'll be damned.  Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.  Best thing you've said.

Oct 19 15 05:16 pm Link