Forums > Photography Talk > White background trouble

Photographer

Vitabello

Nicosia, Sicily, Italy

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with almost all my pictures. They alway's look fine, untill you tilt your screen.. The white background has
stripes.. Is not completely white and i don't know what to do about it. Do you have a suggestion to improve this? I would like to submit this picture to a photo assignment tonight!

The picture is in my album, i cant see how i post it in this topic, sorry. It's the one with the fake tattoo.
Please help me out?

Nov 19 15 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Photographic Adventures

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Mask it and paint it with a solid color.  I really don't see a "problem"  on my screen.

Nov 19 15 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Except for your white being yellow, I don't see a problem.  If there are stripes there, they are so faint that I can't see them.  Tilting your screen to see them might be more of a function of your screen than the image.  What sort of screen are you viewing on?  TFT LCD?  iPad? 

I just did a quick google check.  Depending on the bit depth of your LCD panel, there may be conversion of 8 bit, 10 bit or even 12 bit that can create a banding type look to very subtle color gradients.

The bottom line is probably don't worry about it.

Nov 19 15 09:53 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150601/15/556cdbb719342_m.jpg

I think I see what you're speaking of.  It's caused by a slight warp in the seamless from being rolled up.  The light hitting that part is deflected in a different direction than the light being reflected from the 'flat' sections, causing a slight overexposure that ends up looking like a horizontal stripe. 

It appears 3/4 of the way down, almost even with the models hands.  There also appear to be slight remnants of similar stripes equally spaced apart, but those aren't as evident  because of the lighting and the logo. 

It doesn't have anything to do with your screen at all.  Whenever you tilt an LCD monitor, you'll see changes in contrast and  brightness which sometimes bring out 'hidden' details that aren't easily noticed when viewing the monitor from the proper angle..  Most IPS monitors keep a more consistent view when looking at the image from different angles, but you'll still see some contrast and brightness changes, especially when viewed from extreme angles.

Some of the things that you can do to avoid the 'stripe' from appearing is to lightly steam out the wrinkles in the seamless, but it's usually easier said than done.  Here in the desert it's not a major problem to do that because the dry air makes any water dissipate quickly, but in a more humid environment it will take quite awhile to completely dry.

Nov 19 15 10:09 am Link

Photographer

LeonardG Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Vitabello wrote:
They alway's look fine, untill you tilt your screen.. The white background has
stripes.. Is not completely white and i don't know what to do about it.

are you working on 8 bit color depth images? that maybe an issue.

if you mean the image looks ok, but tilting the screen shows the stripes, it could mean your monitor isn't set to 24 bit color and the dithering shows. first, look at the image on a different monitor. then check the specifications and setting on your own monitor.

for 8 bit color depth files, you may need to add some noise to the background. if it's the monitor or the settings that may need to be changed.

Nov 19 15 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

I find a few Nik / Google Viveza control points soon sort out white backgrounds. There is a similar tool in LR but none of this is as effective as the control points built-in to Nikon's CNX2 when used with Nikon raw files.

Nov 19 15 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Vitabello

Nicosia, Sicily, Italy

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150601/15/556cdbb719342_m.jpg

I think I see what you're speaking of.  It's caused by a slight warp in the seamless from being rolled up.  The light hitting that part is deflected in a different direction than the light being reflected from the 'flat' sections, causing a slight overexposure that ends up looking like a horizontal stripe. 

It appears 3/4 of the way down, almost even with the models hands.  There also appear to be slight remnants of similar stripes equally spaced apart, but those aren't as evident  because of the lighting and the logo. 

It doesn't have anything to do with your screen at all.  Whenever you tilt an LCD monitor, you'll see changes in contrast and  brightness which sometimes bring out 'hidden' details that aren't easily noticed when viewing the monitor from the proper angle..  Most IPS monitors keep a more consistent view when looking at the image from different angles, but you'll still see some contrast and brightness changes, especially when viewed from extreme angles.

Some of the things that you can do to avoid the 'stripe' from appearing is to lightly steam out the wrinkles in the seamless, but it's usually easier said than done.  Here in the desert it's not a major problem to do that because the dry air makes any water dissipate quickly, but in a more humid environment it will take quite awhile to completely dry.

Ah okey that makes a lot of sense! Problem is, the backdrop is my actual wall haha. The wallpaper is lightly striped as well, making it a bad background i gues! I should just buy a backdrop and a stand and all that but i'm just starting out and spend a lot of money on my camera and lighting already.

Nov 19 15 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Vitabello

Nicosia, Sicily, Italy

LeonardG Photography wrote:
are you working on 8 bit color depth images? that maybe an issue.

if you mean the image looks ok, but tilting the screen shows the stripes, it could mean your monitor isn't set to 24 bit color and the dithering shows. first, look at the image on a different monitor. then check the specifications and setting on your own monitor.

for 8 bit color depth files, you may need to add some noise to the background. if it's the monitor or the settings that may need to be changed.

That's a good one! I never really checked on other monitors. I do work in 8 bit in photoshop. Only problem is, when i add noise, they will probably refuse my image on stockwebsites sad

Nov 19 15 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Vitabello

Nicosia, Sicily, Italy

photoimager wrote:
I find a few Nik / Google Viveza control points soon sort out white backgrounds. There is a similar tool in LR but none of this is as effective as the control points built-in to Nikon's CNX2 when used with Nikon raw files.

I'm sorry but what exactly is that? I'm kind of new in to this i gues

Nov 19 15 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Vitabello

Nicosia, Sicily, Italy

Good Egg Productions wrote:
Except for your white being yellow, I don't see a problem.  If there are stripes there, they are so faint that I can't see them.  Tilting your screen to see them might be more of a function of your screen than the image.  What sort of screen are you viewing on?  TFT LCD?  iPad? 

I just did a quick google check.  Depending on the bit depth of your LCD panel, there may be conversion of 8 bit, 10 bit or even 12 bit that can create a banding type look to very subtle color gradients.

The bottom line is probably don't worry about it.

That might be the case as well. I never really looked in to what kind of monitor i have. I should check that out

Nov 19 15 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Vitabello

Nicosia, Sicily, Italy

Photographic Adventures wrote:
Mask it and paint it with a solid color.  I really don't see a "problem"  on my screen.

I have edited the image with a layer and painted it white like you said and it does help! Thanks for that!

Nov 19 15 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

getting the background pure white (255,255,255 for all, or at least most, of the pixels) isn't so easy. you can blast the background with light but then you have to deal with spill back onto the subject. or you can do it in photoshop (there are various techniques including masking out the person and dropping them onto pure white).

Nov 19 15 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Vitabello

Nicosia, Sicily, Italy

New one is now in my album, in my opinion it's a lot better. What do you think?

Nov 19 15 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Vitabello

Nicosia, Sicily, Italy

ontherocks wrote:
getting the background pure white (255,255,255 for all, or at least most, of the pixels) isn't so easy. you can blast the background with light but then you have to deal with spill back onto the subject. or you can do it in photoshop (perhaps by masking out the person and dropping them onto pure white).

Thank you! i think i did that now. Only not pure white because i liked the yellow tone haha. But anyway i think this method your saying works really well

Nov 19 15 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Los Angeles, California, US

You could always just paint the wall.  Even do a light layer of paper over it and then paint that so you can change it back when you are moving.

Nov 19 15 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Vitabello wrote:
Hi everybody,

I have a problem with almost all my pictures. They alway's look fine, untill you tilt your screen.. The white background has
stripes.. Is not completely white and i don't know what to do about it. Do you have a suggestion to improve this? I would like to submit this picture to a photo assignment tonight!

The picture is in my album, i cant see how i post it in this topic, sorry. It's the one with the fake tattoo.
Please help me out?

If you want your background completely white, then light it so it is completely white.

If you want some texture on your background then it can't be completely white.

If you find that you are getting unwanted texture/detail in your background you might try making it blurrier.  You can do this by separating the model form the background, using a wider aperture, or with a Photoshop filter.

Make sure you aren't using a wider gamut colorspace then you need.  Working in ProPhotoRGB when sRGB would do will accentuate these sorts of issues.  You might also try doing your processing in 16 bits per channel.

Nov 20 15 08:40 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Make sure you're not trying to shoot on a pure white background on Tuesday - Tuesday doesn't work particularly well for this kind of work. (sarc)

Seriously - your colorspace will have zero effect on how consistently white you can get your background.

Light the background separately - pull the model away from it to avoid blow-back - don't use more light than you need. You're doing digital, where this is much easier - when we were shooting transparency film this was tricky.

Nov 20 15 10:48 am Link