Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Winter blend gasoline

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Thought I was imagining this, but its real.
Gasoline is different in winter, even in California where we don't have a winter like other places do.
According to what I just read online, winter gas apparently has more butane in it, making it cheaper to produce.
However, Butane has less energy so our vehicles get worse gas mileage, but gas prices are cheaper.

I'm pretty sure about this time of year, every year, I start to think my car runs like shit.
I feel like my engine is about to blow up because I'm always racing around like an idiot. (Don't judge.)
Or is it just because the gasoline sucks?

My car is tweeked and highly sensitive.
I'm going to blame it on the gas.
Now science-y smart people of the MM forum, I ask you this:

What can i do to make the gasoline suck less?
Can I add an octane booster or something else to stabilize it?
Do you think gas from a racetrack would be a winter blend?

Nov 27 15 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

All US gasoline has like a 10-15% methane blend in it, at least in the lower 48. Plus other additives. Yes, the methane has less 'power' and effectively lowers the octane rating. Great for those of us with euro-spec cars designed to run on real gasoline... Octane boosters might help a little bit. I use Seafoam in my engine to combat the increased carbon deposits left from the lower combustion temps. (Thanks, EPA.)

Nov 27 15 02:23 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
According to what I just read online, winter gas apparently has more butane in it, making it cheaper to produce.
However, Butane has less energy so our vehicles get worse gas mileage, but gas prices are cheaper.

WV adds .20c to the price of a Gallon of Winter blend Gasoline

Go figure.

When We raced MX We tuned for and bought fuel at the local Airport - 100 octane and cheaper than reg pump gas.

Nov 27 15 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

The octane measurement of gasoline stays the same. If it says 91 on the pump, it's 91 Summer and Winter.

How the octane level is reached is dependent on the additives used in the mix. Winter blend generally has less power making additives so mileage can suffer.

Nov 27 15 03:37 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Paulo, I don't thinking you are imagining it running worse on winter blends.

Our distance car is a Prius which has a pretty accurate readout of the MPG.  It does vary a lot by regions in CA as well.  In this hot town, it runs about 43.4 MPG. In LA, about 45.7, and in San Fran it has broke 50 MPG which I thought very odd. Some of it may be the A/C (Hot as heck here, and sometimes LA too.).  Could be the moisture content of the air as well.  Another is the oxygenated fuel and additives the refineries dump into the tankers for whatever stations they go to.

One motorcycle we used to have had an antenna that shook like mad.  I put some 110 octane racing fuel into that bike for fun (About $17/gallon here now for my race bike.) and it smoothed the antenna shaking right out.  You could pay for the higher octane, but it will cost you too.  Some motorcycle shop owner uses a 50:50 mix of racing fuel and high octane Shell in his bikes and claim they idle a lot smooth, but it does cost a lot to do so at almost $15/gallon on the mix.  He sells the race fuel at $85 per five gallon can so he likely gets a break someplace for the cans himself.

Nov 27 15 07:12 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://scontent.flas1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/12036673_10153105110212536_7494536344433445023_n.jpg?oh=1f13bd1199c40d2696c75ed526da339e&oe=56E62575
(Winter Blend)

Nov 27 15 07:50 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Anyone remember Ethyl?

Nov 27 15 08:10 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

I hate to ruin anyone's dreams about Petrol.

It is all the same. They..The refineries ...all they do is place packets of spices...to make 87 proof and so on. Gas is Gas...no matter how much Spin they do. Don't believe the freaking Hype.

Nov 27 15 08:14 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

This has some info on ethanol added to the fuels in various parts of CA.  http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline/faq.htm

I almost bought a Ducati Steetfighter S in 2009 until I heard of their plastic gas tanks warping.  Led to a class action against Duati too:  http://deformedfueltanks.com/  Then it became a major issue with other plastic tanks out of Europe warping on a lot of motorcycles.  KTM dealer showed me some sitting in his showroom warping and paint bubbling up.  How much damage was being done to the plastics and what went on later with the injectors clogging was a worry and speculation was the ethanol strength in USA.  I know Sea Foam was mentioned above and I've used it for injector cleaning which seemed to help the idling too.

Another issue is sometimes water getting into tanks.  Anyone who flies knows about the check and drain needed for pre-flights to see if water is present in Av-gas.  I've seen it when I've drained gas from my motorcycle tanks too.  Maybe a bad gas station owner adding water to his tanks for profit, or an angry employee?  When we had a Saturn dealer, there was one morning the place was surrounded by a dozen plus tow trucks and Saturns hanging off them.  Sales manager had a fit and tried to get them all

Nov 27 15 08:56 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ernst tischler wrote:
Anyone remember Ethyl?

https://webspace.webring.com/people/hc/crazysexycool008/i_love_lucy/ethel564_1_.jpg

Nov 27 15 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

thanks everyone for your replies.

since the butane in winter blend lowers the energy, I guess what I'm asking is:

can i put something in my gas tank that will bring the energy back up?

I understand the octane rating is still 91 even for winter blend. that's what my car is tuned for.
not sure an octane booster would do anything and I can't run e85.

Nov 27 15 11:27 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

If the Car is tuned to run 91 run 91.

Nov 27 15 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

I understand the octane rating is still 91 even for winter blend. that's what my car is tuned for.

Clearly one of these other guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is any measurable benefit in running higher octane than the car wants to see. Not it doing it regularly, anyway.

Every once in a while, I'd put some octane booster in my Saab. It was an older model(when I had it - they're all older now), and it seemed to help burn off some of the crud that was in there. There was a stretch when I was dirt-poor, and for a few months I could afford 87 octane, or no gas. After a while, the car didn't even idle right. Until I hit 35 or so, it ran like a cylinder wasn't firing right.

I still do it once in a while in my Ford, but there's no turbo, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything. Just force of habit.

Nov 27 15 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

51 Imaging wrote:
If the Car is tuned to run 91 run 91.

It is tuned for California 91.
that's what I am running.

however in the upper RPMs it doesn't have consistent power. I wonder if it's because the engine is failing or because the winter blend of gas doesn't pack as much punch?

it feels like it is struggling towards redline.
there's no stuttering, it just doesn't rip like it used to.

I don't need that power, just curious why it's running like it is. I have another turbo car that is factory tuned I can drive as a control, to compare and see if it also suffers power loss in winter.

Nov 27 15 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

I am not a Doctor..but I play a Doctor on TV...in the hit series...The Doctor and The Hype.

You got way too much time on your hands...Go out and shoot. Go join a Quilting Group and Take Looknsee with you. PLuuuuueeeze....

Nov 27 15 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
Gasoline is different in winter, even in California where we don't have a winter like other places do.

I'm pretty sure about this time of year, every year, I start to think my car runs like shit.
I feel like my engine is about to blow up because I'm always racing around like an idiot. (Don't judge.)
Or is it just because the gasoline sucks?

My car is tweeked and highly sensitive.
I'm going to blame it on the gas.
Now science-y smart people of the MM forum, I ask you this:

What can i do to make the gasoline suck less?
Can I add an octane booster or something else to stabilize it?
Do you think gas from a racetrack would be a winter blend?

Did not know Ford Pinto's were Tweeked and Highly Sensitive.

Nov 27 15 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

Did not know Ford Pinto's were Tweeked and Highly Sensitive.

my "pinto" is.
the software running the vehicle is a custom program.

many hardware components have been changed too, it's beyond what the factory programming can operate under most conditions.

I know this isn't a car forum, but I like to be amazed by the collective knowledge of members here when I inquire about something off topic.

apparently you're not into custom cars or chemistry.

Nov 27 15 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

wr not here

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Zack Zoll wrote:

Clearly one of these other guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is any measurable benefit in running higher octane than the car wants to see. Not it doing it regularly, anyway.

Every once in a while, I'd put some octane booster in my Saab. It was an older model(when I had it - they're all older now), and it seemed to help burn off some of the crud that was in there. There was a stretch when I was dirt-poor, and for a few months I could afford 87 octane, or no gas. After a while, the car didn't even idle right. Until I hit 35 or so, it ran like a cylinder wasn't firing right.

I still do it once in a while in my Ford, but there's no turbo, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything. Just force of habit.

I ran premium in my Titan for almost 10 years, figuring it was better. I switched over to regular a year or so ago and my milage actually increased.

Nov 28 15 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

You just now heard about this? They have been doing this for many, many years now.

Nov 28 15 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

WR Photographics wrote:
I ran premium in my Titan for almost 10 years, figuring it was better. I switched over to regular a year or so ago and my milage actually increased.

Premium gas may not be premium for your vehicle. Read the owners manual, most likely you'll find out that it says not to run Premium gas in your truck. I drive a Nissan XTerra and it says specifically to only use lower octane gas. I also ride a Honda VTX 1300 motorcycle and in the manual for that it emphasizes not to use any premium grade gasolines at all, that the motor was designed for 87 octane and anything higher than that could do long-term damage to the bike.

Nov 28 15 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
It is tuned for California 91.
that's what I am running.

however in the upper RPMs it doesn't have consistent power. I wonder if it's because the engine is failing or because the winter blend of gas doesn't pack as much punch?

it feels like it is struggling towards redline.
there's no stuttering, it just doesn't rip like it used to.

I don't need that power, just curious why it's running like it is. I have another turbo car that is factory tuned I can drive as a control, to compare and see if it also suffers power loss in winter.

Clean your air filter.  smile
But honestly, unless your motor has boosted compression or heavily advanced ignition timing, either of which you'd be in trouble running pump anyway, I'm going to doubt that simply a "winter blend" gas is giving it the woes in the upper RPMs. I would think you would feel it all through the powerband and especially in throttle response. Why don't you do a pass, then take the air filter off for a pass and see how it feels?

BTW, how did your track day go?

Nov 28 15 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Mortonovich wrote:
Clean your air filter.  smile
But honestly, unless your motor has boosted compression or heavily advanced ignition timing, either of which you'd be in trouble running pump anyway, I'm going to doubt that simply a "winter blend" gas is giving it the woes in the upper RPMs. I would think you would feel it all through the powerband and especially in throttle response. Why don't you do a pass, then take the air filter off for a pass and see how it feels?

BTW, how did your track day go?

I cleaned my air fliter in early October...
maybe it's worth checking again tho.

my ignition timing is advanced.
compression no... because turbo boostin'

a couple minutes ago I challenged a motorcycle at a stop light (bad of me I know).
but I wanted to see how my car was running, and if I leave the line at the same speed as them they always pin it haha!  he was blasting off the previous stop light so I wanted to show him some humility.

it's about 44 degrees out right now.
I rolled on the throttle in first gear and just before 4k RPMs it struggles but quicky recovers and soars towards redine. I shifted about 1200k short of redline.

same thing happened in second gear;
slight pause before really gets going.

my track day was cool.
I ran about .5 seconds slower than I expected.
still turned a decent time considering I was on all season tires that lacked the grip I needed.
my car sounded awesome going down the strip.

first time dragging at the track so I hope to do better next time. I rolled back out of staging like a newb almost every run and my reaction times pretty much sucked but it was fun.

Nov 28 15 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

WR Photographics wrote:

Modern engines are so advanced lately that they are tuned specifically for certain octane fuels.  If your motor is tuned for 87 octane, putting 93 in it won't do much.  If your vehicle requires premium fuel, that's how you're going to get the maximum rated HP and torque out of it.  Using a different fuel probably won't damage your engine over its life, but it won't operate as intended. 

Take this example.  The motor in the Mazda MX-5 is the exact same motor as in the Mazda 3, however, the two motors are tuned very differently and one requires premium and the other suggests regular.  Appropriately, the two motors perform VERY differently.

My point is, use the fuel that your manufacturer recommends for the vehicle you're driving.  My 2003 Acura has 194,000 miles on it.  In it's life, I've only put premium fuel in it (recommended by Acura) except for about 2 and 1/2 tanks.  The car has never had (or needed) a tune up.  I can only assume that the valves aren't terribly dirty or clogged as I'm still getting 30mpg.

Nov 29 15 12:37 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
it's about 44 degrees out right now.

Cooler Air is denser so You're getting more in lower temps. The Motor is starving for Fuel or 'leaning out'.

Turn the injectors up to compensate.

Nov 29 15 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

51 Imaging wrote:
Cooler Air is denser so You're getting more in lower temps. The Motor is starving for Fuel or 'leaning out'.

Turn the injectors up to compensate.

this is a good point.
however my injectors are already turned up.
I don't want to burn them out.

Mortonovich may have been on to something about the air filter.

Even though I cleaned it less than 2 months ago and it still looked clean, I removed it and went out for a drive.
the hesitation seemed to go away, but I need to confirm with another test.
maybe it's just time to replace that 5 year old K&N?
could be at the end of its service life.

Nov 29 15 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Richard Karlsen

Gloversville, New York, US

I have never seen such confusion and lack of knowledge about gasoline in one place!!      First, it does not contain "butane".  Butane at atmospheric pressure and temperatures is a gas", it would evaporate completely in a automotive tank.  Gas also does not contain "methane" it is another "gas" that evaporates easily!   "Methanol" is commonalty used as a race car fuel BUT is not mixed with normal gasoline because a small percentage of water would make it drop out of the mixture and drop to the bottom of the tank (in very small quantities it is used as "dry gas" to keep condensation in the tank from freezing in winter. It is largely obsolete because it is highly corrosive to the materials in a modern fuel system.  Ethanol is the additive that is required in all US gasoline currently at a minimum of 10%.  It was supposed to stretch the amount of available gasoline AND as an additive to improve emission levels.  It also acts as an "octane improver", it became the cheapest one to replace "tetraethyl lead" which was banned as well as not compatible with "catalytic convertors" mandated to limit emissions.

Octane ratings have nothing to do with how much power an engine produces EXCEPT that it must be sufficient to prevent knocking caused by detonation in the cylinder.  What you see on the pump is a comparison of a given fuel to the test results in a test engine running on pure "isooctane" a chemical that is given a rating of 1.00  When you see an "octane rating" of 91 it means the fuel test at .91 resistance to knock in the test.  Using gasoline with an octane rating much higher than actually required just waste money.

What "winter" gas is blended for is to be easier to vaporize under cold conditions, making it easier starting and more efficient.  What effects the power and economy of a particular blend of gasoline ("gasoline" is not an pure chemical but a blend of many) is it's "BTU" per pound rating.  Winter blends and high octane pump gas tend to have LESS BTU's per pound due to the percentage of chemicals that are blended into the product which while producing the desired traits for which they are used produce less heat and therefore are less efficient.

The biggest effect of these "seasonal blends" of gas is the cost that are incurred because of nothing but Government interference!!   Currently companies must produce over 200 different blends, not just because of weather but it is specific to each area and the requirement of adding high priced ethanol!!  (which by the way can also upset the fuel systems of engines not modified for it!!!)

Nov 29 15 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

ernst tischler wrote:
Anyone remember Ethyl?

http://www.pbase.com/image/106923445

Nov 29 15 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Paolo, do you have access to aviation fuel? That's made to more pure standards.

I think Chevron gas is refined to higher standards in general. Maybe Shell is too. Compared to ARCO, for example, which is reputed to have more additives. DISCLAIMER: I'm not a chemist and I'm not in the refined oil products distribution business, so it's a little hard to sort out the propaganda and rumors.

I have seen the Chevron truck topping off station tanks of no-name independents that sell their "non-Chevron" gas for lower prices. That's something to consider.

Costco is the cheapest. I don't know who is their source of gas.

Nov 29 15 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Richard Karlsen wrote:
I have never seen such confusion and lack of knowledge about gasoline in one place!!      First, it does not contain "butane".  Butane at atmospheric pressure and temperatures is a gas",

oh but it does according to every article i read.
from a search:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a3 … -13747431/

article linked above wrote:
For example, in winter you can blend butane, which is relatively plentiful and cheap, with gasoline. But butane, which has an RVP of 52 on its own, can't be used in summer, when it would immediately boil off as a gas.

http://www.atlasoil.com/Blog/Whats-the- … d-Gasoline

this article wrote:
But in the winter, when evaporation is less of a concern, gasoline is made with a higher Reid Vapor Pressure. This means additives such as butane can be added to the gas, making it a little bit cheaper in the winter; but, since butane burns more quickly, your gas mileage will take a bit of a hit.

plus i can find like a million others that say theres butane in this shit.

this gives the gasoline less energy. so even though it has the same octane rating making it resistant to detonation, it packs less bang.

Nov 29 15 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Click Hamilton wrote:
Paolo, do you have access to aviation fuel? That's made to more pure standards.

is that the same as Avgas?
If so i do have access to it. my cousin uses it in his chainsaw.
i can't put that in my car though.
from what i understand it would leave lead deposits and just turn my car into a flame thrower.

ETA:
as an experiment i'd rather cruise up to sonoma raceway and buy a tank of 100 octane and a bottle of wine. wink

Nov 29 15 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
is that the same as Avgas?
If so i do have access to it. my cousin uses it in his chainsaw.
i can't put that in my car though.
from what i understand it would leave lead deposits and just turn my car into a flame thrower.

You are probably right. Here is some detail about that.
http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/canirunavgas.php

Nov 29 15 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Click Hamilton wrote:

You are probably right. Here is some detail about that.
http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/canirunavgas.php

haha! i was JUST reading that.
thanks!

Nov 29 15 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

A couple years ago I was upgrading my old Corvette hot rod engine from the late 60's. Rather than rebuild my vintage 780 CFM dual feed Holley, I decided to buy a new, smaller 650 CFM Edelbrock that is built for today's gas formulations. Together with an upgraded electronic ignition, It runs beautifully. Since the upgrade I've only used high octane. In 1969 we didn't have things like catalytic converters or oxygen sensors.

Maybe I should try ARCO regular?

https://www.pbase.com/schutze/image/159818586.jpg

PS - that bed frame in the back is gone.

Nov 29 15 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

very cool.
I have the opposite problem, trying to make an old hotrod out of a newer car.

why ARCO?
do they have something cool that other brands dont?

Nov 29 15 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

this is a good point.
however my injectors are already turned up.
I don't want to burn them out.

Mortonovich may have been on to something about the air filter.

Even though I cleaned it less than 2 months ago and it still looked clean, I removed it and went out for a drive.
the hesitation seemed to go away, but I need to confirm with another test.
maybe it's just time to replace that 5 year old K&N?
could be at the end of its service life.

Oh, FOR SURE those K&Ns get crummy over time. I don't care what K&N says, they definitely do not
flow as well after a while even if they look clean. I would never run one in my dirt bike and I periodically replace the one in my truck. Hope that's all it is with this issue.

Nov 29 15 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Karlsen

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

Richard Karlsen wrote:
I have never seen such confusion and lack of knowledge about gasoline in one place!!      First, it does not contain "butane".  Butane at atmospheric pressure and temperatures is a gas",

oh but it does according to every article i read.
from a search:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a3 … -13747431/

article linked above wrote:
For example, in winter you can blend butane, which is relatively plentiful and cheap, with gasoline. But butane, which has an RVP of 52 on its own, can't be used in summer, when it would immediately boil off as a gas.

http://www.atlasoil.com/Blog/Whats-the- … d-Gasoline

plus i can find like a million others that say theres butane in this shit.

this gives the gasoline less energy. so even though it has the same octane rating making it resistant to detonation, it packs less bang.

You are misreading what is said in the article.  PURE Butane has an RVP that will let it boil off at normal atmospheric pressure no matter what!   Gas is made of many compounds,  compounds containing butane may be some of them but it can not be blended in in a pure state.  It has been 50 plus years since I took chem. and auto fuels/ lube classes but those facts don't change.  I seem to remember it is "Isomers" (? spelling) of butane that can be used.  If I recall correctly one of these was MTBE (methel terciary butal ether) (again spelling?) a compound used instead of lead.  This too I believe was banned do to possible contamination of ground water in case of tank leaks because it caused cancer.  Gasoline is not any one compound, it is a wide variety of mixed compounds that are constantly changing dependent on government regulations of the moment.  How fast the fuel burns does not make it efficient or not it is the BTU's per pound.  BTU's per pound is completely dependent on the total content of the blend.

Nov 30 15 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Richard Karlsen

Seems there is a lot of confusion about "AVGAS" also.  It is specifically blended for aircraft but works well in "OLD" automotive engines.  Pre 70's auto engines used nothing but leaded fuel.  TEL not only was a quick and inexpensive way to raise octane but it also acted as a lubricant for valves and seats. When unleaded fuel became the thing to use, different valves and "Stellite" (spelling?) valve seats became necessary, both types of gas were available for a while. Lead was outlawed in normal motor fuel first with the claim it cause brain damage to children and later because of the mandated use of catalytic converters.  "OLD" Avgas contained a lot of lead percentage wise, to the point it was always stressed that it could be extremely harmful just getting it on your skin!  Running old motors and antiques now requires valve seats to be changed or additives to be used.  Old chain saws and small motors were very sensitive to running unleaded gas until they finally were modified also over time.

When the emissions rules started coming in, lead was still used but in much lower percentages.  Mid to later 70's made racing fuel much more expensive (since it was still blended with lead and sold for off road use only).  Two types were available LL80-90 and LL100-120.  For aircraft use they have 2 octane ratings, one for "cruise" and one for "full rich". In the good old days we were able to pull the race car on the trailer right up to the pump in line with a bunch of piper cubs!  LOL, don't think that will happen any more!!  It has been 35-40 years since "leaded" was available, I would bet most drivers on the rad today have never even seen a "leaded pump"!!

Nov 30 15 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Richard Karlsen wrote:
It has been 35-40 years since "leaded" was available, I would bet most drivers on the rad today have never even seen a "leaded pump"!!

its still available.
not on the street for sure but I saw one at Laguna Seca Raceway a few months ago.
Took a pic with my phone cause...
$110. for 11 gallons.
LEADED!

https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/diavolo90/20151003_134322_resized_zps9g6bk7as.jpg

Nov 30 15 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
its still available.
not on the street for sure but I saw one at Laguna Seca Raceway a few months ago.
$110. for 11 gallons.
LEADED!

^ that's the good stuff.

Clean the MAF sensor.

Oil from the K&N filter can migrate onto the sensor throwing air/fuel ratios off.

https://youtu.be/xQGSkWEC_u4

* always disconnect the battery neg terminal first.

Dec 01 15 03:44 am Link

Photographer

Richard Karlsen

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

its still available.
$110. for 11 gallons.
LEADED!

https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/diavolo90/20151003_134322_resized_zps9g6bk7as.jpg

WoW, haven't seen it at the pump in a lot of years.  Cam II was available but pumps marked off road use only, last time I saw it was a bargain $5 per gallon!  Dirt tracks here do have some for the lower class cars but it is only in barrels.  Even top NASCAR classes have gone lead free.   Would love just to get a wiff of CAMII or H&H again, had its own particular smell!!

Dec 01 15 05:51 am Link