Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Winter blend gasoline

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

51 Imaging wrote:
Clean the MAF sensor.

Oil from the K&N filter can migrate onto the sensor throwing air/fuel ratios off.

https://youtu.be/xQGSkWEC_u4

* always disconnect the battery neg terminal first.

I did clean the MAF too....

didnt disconnect the battery though because the MAF was out of the car.
unless you mean so it will relearn?

I am going to buy a new air filter.
Even when it looks clean its still a maroon color instead of red.
and thats before I respray the red oil on it.

Then I will reflash its tune again to get rid of any bad habits.

Dec 01 15 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Not that many of you care, but WTF theres not much else to read on these forums right now so.....

Both my turbo cars are running shitty.
California gas sucks.

for car people:
on car #1 i changed my air filter, reflashed the software to the car, and put a thingy of seafoam in the gas tank.
at first the choppy-ness when the turbo spools around 2300rpm seemed to go away but it was still weak in the upper RPMS.

i adjusted the bypass valve in the engine bay so that it won't run rich between gear shifts or briefly when lifting my foot off the throttle.

Worried my spark plugs may be fouled from the car running rich.
i inspected all my exhaust gaskets for a leak, but they look good.

today i took it down the street to pick up something from the hardware store. the engine didnt fully warm up.
on my way out of the parking lot at 5mph it backfired, and then when i pulled out of the lot it was stuttering to accelerate.
that was a new and shitty thing. obviously the engine not getting to temp was bad for it.

im guessing its running really rich even with the bypass valve closed.
I need to figure out why?
Hopefully changing the plugs helps.

on a car forum for my other turbo car, people in california said their cars engines started pinging in Oct when california changes over their gas to winter blend. this turbo car #2 has an unmodified engine (although its a special beefed up factory tune) it still has problems with this shit gas. I dont daily drive this one though.

I have a third car that isnt a turbo, but it just sits in storage for the last 4 years. I bet it would run fine, especially since the tank of fuel it has isnt winter blend haha.

so for car #1 its not able to burn this shit gas that has less energy?
WTF modified car fail!

Dec 05 15 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Light on Location

Fort Worth, Texas, US

My side job/hobby is restoring old late sixties, and seventies cars, some of which have sat for years. I also have a Degree in Automotive Technology. Lastly, I'm an old fart, who's been a hot rodder for forever. Having established that.

What passes for gasoline now compared to what those cars were made to run on is a whole new thing. First of all, it used to be that a car could sit for two years and the gas in it would still burn. This new stuff is a gummy water soaked mess in six months. So advice number one. If it's a small engine, lawnmower, chainsaw, outboard, snowblower, IE, an engine that might sit for three months, run it dry before storing it.

Anything you can't drain, add an additive called "Sta-Bil," before parking it. *Please note: I am not saying, "use a product of this type," If I name a specific product here, then use that exact brand. Sadly, half to a third of the automotive additives being sold today do nothing beneficial, but they spend a lot on marketing.

Advice number two. Seafoam is wonderful stuff, great for cleaning your intake manifold. Another one that is an Industry secret is "GM Top Engine Cleaner." It too comes in spray and liquid. The usage procedures are similar between the two brands, seafoam, and GM. However be careful where you do the cleaning with that stuff. Don't do it in your driveway, find a parking lot, an industrial area, or go out in the country, because if it's an older car with a lot of deposits, when you fire it up after a good soak, it will fog the neighborhood.

Advice three. Dirty fuel injectors is a huge problem. The best additive for that is "Techron," made by Texaco. It also comes in their gas and in Chevron's. My advice is to use a bottle once a month or two, depending on the mileage you drive. Another good product is "Lucas Fuel Injector Additive." Either one is best used on a regular basis. Note, the other brands out there, which I won't name are junk. They can cause more harm than good.

The biggest issue I face with older cars that are meant to be actually driven, is rubber fuel lines. Period correct braided hose might look good and win car shows, but the new gas, just eats it up in, on the inside, in less than a year. My standard procedure is to use only fuel injection approved hose, and add a second fuel filter. Another huge problem is that the "New Gas, will eat the metal out of older carburetor set ups.

As for buying gas, the simple rule is only buy gas from places that sell a lot of it on a regular basis. Nobody adds water to their tanks, LOL, but if the gas sits for weeks it will absorb moisture out of the air. Stick with Texaco, Chevron, Shell and Mobil, in that order as far as brands. FYI, adding a couple gallons of avgas to a tank full is a wonderful thing for my old cars, but it's illegal, because there's no road tax paid on it. So buy it in a five gallon gas can at the airport, (hint).

Feel free to disagree with me on any of the above. I just know what works.

Dec 06 15 02:38 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Always unhook the neg battery terminal when making changes to a computer controlled engine.

Check engine light?

Read the plugs. http://www.tuningmatters.com/wp-content … hu6d7U.jpg

You may want to try a cylinder power balance test - a simple one is with car @ idle unplug a fuel injector one at a time and note any change in rpm, If an injector is unplugged and the idle remains the same You've found a problem cylinder - do this to all cylinders.

* the backfire sounds like a cylinder misfiring.

I've been chasing a misfire for a Month, after a compression test seems I have a stuck, bent or burnt valve. 

Engines need Air / Fuel / Spark / Compression.

Again, to Me it sounds as if the motor is leaning out on the top end (too much air) but it's hard to tell without hands on and guessing never leads anywhere.- learn to test.

Dec 06 15 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Natural Light on Location wrote:
Feel free to disagree with me on any of the above. I just know what works.

not gonna disagree on any of that, thanks for the info.
You mentioned putting a little avgas in old cars, but what about in a 10 year old car with smaller displacement but modern electronics and an old style ( wink ) exhaust?

51 Imaging wrote:
* the backfire sounds like a cylinder misfiring.

could be that. or combo of my rich condition and my modified exhaust.
exhaust temps in my car can get up around 2000 if i remember correctly when i run it hard.
(i don't have that sensor anymore.)

Its definitely not burning the mixture as well as it used to.

i bought new spark plugs but dont know if i want to change them myself because its a pain in the ass.

Dec 06 15 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

changed spark plugs yesterday.
the old ones were very much fouled.
i still think the winter blend didnt help any, maybe contributed?

drove it around a bit yesterday and today.
definitely got some power back smile

Dec 13 15 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
I'm pretty sure about this time of year, every year, I start to think my car runs like shit.

The other day I was thinking my car was starting to run crappy.
Then I remembered making this thread last year.
Its that time again!

Anyone else have this problem?

Oct 16 16 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
Anyone else have this problem?

Nope, but none of My vehicles are modded. What I do notice is lower mpg.

Oct 17 16 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

10% Ethanol in regular unleaded    ( more variable % in Premium )
    That's what absorbs the water from the air and lowers mpg (because of the inherent lower energy content)

Regardless - small engines do seem to run better with premium - even recent production.

Beware E15

Warranties Void on Cars Burning E15
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news … /index.htm

Automakers continue to quietly void warranties if you use E-15 gas
http://hotair.com/archives/2014/02/01/a … -e-15-gas/

ernst tischler wrote:
Anyone remember Ethyl?

The grey/white sludge in your oil and the white cloud of lead oxide out the exhaust if you stomp on the gas pedal after 1000 miles of calm driving - I remember that.

Oct 17 16 04:47 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Michael Bots wrote:
10% Ethanol in regular unleaded    ( more variable % in Premium )
    That's what absorbs the water from the air and lowers mpg (because of the inherent lower energy content)

Regardless - small engines do seem to run better with premium - even recent production.

Beware E15

Warranties Void on Cars Burning E15
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news … /index.htm

Automakers continue to quietly void warranties if you use E-15 gas
http://hotair.com/archives/2014/02/01/a … -e-15-gas/

The grey/white sludge in your oil and the white cloud of lead oxide out the exhaust if you stomp on the gas pedal after 1000 miles of calm driving - I remember that.

I don't use E-15 gas in my car even though it is cheaper.
For small engines I use 100% gas.

Oct 17 16 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
the software running the vehicle is a custom program.

Well, there you go!

Oct 17 16 08:45 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

you are paying full price for a gallon of gasoline that has been watered down 10-15%  with ethenol. since ethenol is cheaper than gasoline, why hasnt the price of a gallon gone down? imagine if they did this to your orange juice by dilluting it with 10-15% more water n raised the prices?

cars are getting better gas milage ratings and lower emmisions using pure gasoline. but if they are watering down your gas, arent they defeating the reasons for improving cars so we can conserve fuel? in reality, you are wasting fuel. that 10-15% is just hampering the efficiancy of your engine and the consumers are being raped!

Oct 17 16 10:29 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
I hate to ruin anyone's dreams about Petrol.

It is all the same. They..The refineries ...all they do is place packets of spices...to make 87 proof and so on. Gas is Gas...no matter how much Spin they do. Don't believe the freaking Hype.

I hear some fancy gas stations add cinnamon to their winter gas!  ninja

Oct 17 16 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Monolith Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I used to have a 1970 Chevelle with a 350ci engine.  It liked the higher octane fuel and would knock (pre-detonate) with most of the newer fuel.  A friend of mine with more knowledge about chemistry said that diesel fuel has more BTU's.  So as an experiment, we added 1 gallon of diesel to 10 gallons (10%) to an almost empty tank.  There was a noticeable difference in performance and gas mileage (increased).  I'm not sure if this would work well in a vehicle equipped with a catalytic converter or not.

Oct 17 16 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

udor wrote:

Hahahahaha!
I need some of that high octane pumpkin spice.

Oct 17 16 11:48 am Link

Photographer

San Diego, California, US

udor wrote:

Cinnamon and egg nog smile

-----

It's true that CA gas sucks. New cars are engineered to consume sucky gas. It's all the same CA regulated base crap that is tweaked slightly by brand additives during the distribution from the refinery. I have been reading pumps lately, and it seems everything has at least 10% ethanol now, including the so-called "top tier" gas. Octane in CA is now 91 or less.

Depending on your engine, year, smog equipment, etc., I think in some cases octane boosters and other additives can make a dramatic difference. It depends on what issues you are trying to address.

My engine is from the late 60's when high compression was part of high performance for naturally aspirated engines. In those days we had higher octane plus lead to control an even burn under high compression. Current CA gas is especially sucky in this department. To avoid pinging I can retard the timing which retards performance, or I can add octane boosters.

From personal experience, for my engine (L79 327 from a 68 Corvette), I can say that Lucas works at least reasonably well, and I'm experimenting with Torco High Octane Accelerator. Lucas and Torco approach octane boost from different chemical groups. Lucas Octane Booster is available in case packs on Amazon for half the price it is in local stores. The most cost effective of all would be to buy Torco (black label) in 5 gallon containers for about $300 ea. $300 is a cash burn, but it works out better per ounce then buying smaller containers. I have been exploring 16oz per 15-20 gallons of 91 octane from the pump. I don't know yet if ounces of Lucas and Torco are comparable. The Torco label recommends about twice the volume of additive per gallon as Lucas.

A side note on Torco: The red label can advertises "lead free" where the black label can does not mention this. Lead is a bad word, so it's probably better not to advertise that fact, but the can and pdf chemical spec sheet does not say "lead free." I am not sure if lead in car gas is still legal in CA, but I do know the black label Torco can be delivered to CA from Amazon and it's available with free shipping on Amazon Prime. If you have a catalytic converter, investigate further about lead content. I have no smog control requirements on my 36 pickup, and there were none on my engine in 1968.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077C0GF8/re … 94GF2NB7PM

I'm also experimenting with Costco 91 octane gas plus my own additives. I can't find any evidence that the quality of Costco premium is any less than Chevron or Shell, for example. Costco lessens the cash burn.

Consensus of opinion at HAMB forums (Honkey Ass Message Board) is that a tablespoon per tank of Marvel Mystery Oil has a beneficial value to older era engines. I can't tell you the mechanical reason, but I would guess it is to counteract the effects of current ethanol and detergents. I also guess that we can not call it an ethanol stabilizer, because I don't know what stabilizers are, or what they do to ethanol.

I think lots of additives are snake oil, so we have to do our own research. It's all expensive. Some works, some doesn't, and it depends on the engine.

There is an app called "Pure Gas" that will map out places to buy ethanol-free gas and higher octane gas. In CA this might be limited to expensive racing fuel. In NV and AZ, I think we might still find stations with ethanol-free gas at the pump. There is a station in Las Vegas that has ethanol free gas I'm going to check out next month when I go to SEMA.

Aircraft fuel is higher octane and still has lead, but I think it's formulation that might have detrimental effects on automobile engines. I think there is an issue with the difference in RPM between aircraft engines and automobile engines. This point requires further investigation.

Oct 17 16 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Lead and catalytic converters don't mix.      1 or 2 tankfuls will destroy..

MMO thread
https://www.ericthecarguy.com/kunena/2- … ystery-oil

"MMO is naphtha oil, the main ingredient in engine flush and penetrating oils"

I know it's great for air tools.

Oct 21 16 01:31 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots wrote:
MMO thread
https://www.ericthecarguy.com/kunena/2- … ystery-oil

"MMO is naphtha oil, the main ingredient in engine flush and penetrating oils"

I know it's great for air tools.

Great for air tools in what way? as the lubricant on a regular basis?

----

I think Lucas Octane booster is primarily naphtha.

I wonder if that means Marvel Mystery Oil works as an octane booster when added to the gas tank?

Anyway, the volume of MMO added to the gas tank is probably not enough volume to impact octane.

Lucas Material Safety Data Sheet
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct … ZBKHNdU2Cw

Marvel Mystery Oil MSDS
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct … mp;cad=rja

Oct 22 16 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

because of your recommendation i bought some Marvel Mystery oil the other day and put about an ounce in my oil when I was topping it off. figured id run that for a little bit before doing an oil change. done something similar with seafoam before.

i would've put some in the gas tank too except I already had two bottles of octane booster in there. tongue

I think the octane booster helped a little and i also filled up from a small mom and pop gas station that doesn't put any kind of fancy extras in their gas. not sure if that helps? theres one big brand my car doesnt seem to like.
guess I'll just start chugging octane booster every winter and staying off the throttle until spring.

Oct 24 16 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
because of your recommendation i bought some Marvel Mystery oil.

People have been raving about Marvel Mystery Oil for generations. I think the name "Mystery" had a lot to do with it's popularity. It was a clever branding promotion.

On one hand, if it was a problem, I'm sure we would have heard about it because so many people use it.

On the other hand, many people who say how great it is often don't specify why, except to rehash what they hear or read what everyone else says. So beware of that. It's kind of like saying baking soda or Coca-Cola, or vinegar or ammonia or cod liver oil is a cure all for anything and everything in life around us. Marvel Mystery Oil has been around for a LONG time. As far as what it does for engine sludge, valves, lifters, etc., how do we know unless we tear our engines down for a forensic examination?

There are many forums where you can read and sort out these things for yourself. One of my favorite forums for restorations, antiques, hot rods, muscle cars, etc., by lots of people with hands-on experience is the HAMB forums (Hokey Ass Message Board). There is a wealth of information there on many car-related subjects.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/foru … e-board.5/

If you are a classic VW guy, another forum I like is Samba.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/

Another issue to remember is that engines and fuel have evolved pretty dramatically over the decades. We have to figure out what applies to our particular era of engine. Smog control engineering, fuel injection, lead, ethanol, catalytic converters and lots of other things change the variables. This re-engineering goes hand-in-hand with the reformulation of what we get at the pump. I remember gas wars around 27 cents a gallon in 1968, the year of my engine. To fill my 15 gallon beer keg gas tank was a whopping $4 and something cents. Lots of things have changed. We have to adapt.

We can also address these issues by upgrading our ignition systems, carburetor/fuel systems, oil choice, lower compression heads, tuning variables, etc.

It depends.

Oct 24 16 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
...and i also filled up from a small mom and pop gas station that doesn't put any kind of fancy extras in their gas. not sure if that helps? theres one big brand my car doesnt seem to like.

Depends on who delivers to the Mom & Pop station. I have a small no-name station near my mountain house in Idyllwild and noticed the Chevron truck filling their tanks one day. They are not a "Chevron" station so they are not bound to sell at Chevron prices. There are not very many refineries in CA. It's easy to look them up.

What is the big brand your car doesn't like? Are you talking about ARCO?

----

If the issue for you is octane and pinging, here's something else to consider:

Gas-Water-Methanol injection kit
http://www.snowperformance.net/Gas-wate … -s/100.htm
(BTW, the SEMA show is coming up again on Nov 1st this year in Las Vegas. I'm going to the Snow Performance booth to check this out in greater depth. I think it's interesting.)

Here's a good thread on this subject:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre … nd.973024/

Oct 24 16 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

I rarely use ARCO, this car in particular doesn't like Shell.
Not sure if is actually pinging,  wouldnt be able to hear it over the other fabulous engine noises.
The car's computer does all kind of stuff to prevent it from hurting itself.
Maybe its pulling timing, i could actually watch in real time what its doing, or take a data log and view a bunch of stuff from its brain. lately ive just kept my foot out of it. havent had time to really investigate.
All i know is it doesnt have the balls it does the rest of the year and its starting to consume oil, but thats unrelated to wussy winter gas.

Oct 24 16 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Just to double-check meanings, we are not talking about octane as being something that releases more energy, are we?

Octane is what allows fuel to burn evenly under higher compression without detonation or pinging. The extra power comes from tuning an engine for performance with timing advance and other variables, not from the energy of the fuel itself.

Lower compression engines don't need higher octane. With current era engines, car performance adjustments by onboard computers, sensors, injectors, and other devices is a different environment than older naturally aspirated engines. There are lots of other performance factors to consider. 

Octane is not a measurement of a "hotter" or more energetic fuel that gives a bigger "bang"  ... it's a measure of even burn under higher compression. Formulations to raise octane stabilizes the volatility of the fuel so it doesn't explode prematurely under higher compression. Something like that. Lead was also important for a good quality burn, but that's pretty much illegal now as a major performance component of fuel so the formulas are adjusted in other ways.

That's why people try paint thinner, water, xylene, kerosene, diesel, etc, to raise octane and even the burn to utilize higher compression for more horsepower.

My analogies are rough, but I think I'm in the ballpark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Oct 26 16 01:12 am Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

is that the same as Avgas?
If so i do have access to it. my cousin uses it in his chainsaw.
i can't put that in my car though.
from what i understand it would leave lead deposits and just turn my car into a flame thrower.

ETA:
as an experiment i'd rather cruise up to sonoma raceway and buy a tank of 100 octane and a bottle of wine. wink

This is an old post but 100LL AvGas is not really a low lead gasoline. Its low lead compared to AVGas of earlier times, when it could be as high as 145 octane.  That fuel was extremely high in lead.

Oct 26 16 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia wrote:
This is an old post but 100LL AvGas is not really a low lead gasoline. Its low lead compared to AVGas of earlier times, when it could be as high as 145 octane.  That fuel was extremely high in lead.

I think LL AvGas still is high lead relative to what automotive gas once was, right? I think the lead content is what raises the octane to100. I think AvGas is also formulated for higher altitude and lower RPM aircraft engines. What are the other mechanical reasons AvGas should not be used in automobile engines? Something about valve corrosion?

Oct 26 16 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

27255 wrote:
What are the other mechanical reasons AvGas should not be used in automobile engines? Something about valve corrosion?

i think it would gum up the sensors.
Bad for catalytic converter (where applicable) as well.

Oct 26 16 05:41 pm Link