Forums > Model Colloquy > Is Social Media Integral?

Model

IDiivil

Los Angeles, California, US

As a model, do you use social media to market yourself? Why or why not? How do you feel your tactics are working out for you?

Edit to add: This post is not an inquiry for advice towards whether - I personally - should use social media or not. I have already made my decision on that long ago. I was just curious on what other people did and how they felt about their choices.

Dec 02 15 09:47 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

If you consider Model Mayhem as social media, I do use this site to get assignments and to meet people who are interested in working together.

I have actually never used Facebook and have no interest in that sort of so-called social website activity. I haven't heard anything good about social media activity on the news, other than Facebook is making the guy who started it very rich. Many people say having a presence there or on other websites is a serious detriment to getting a real job in the business world because it's too easy for a prospective employer to find out bad things about your lifestyle and decline to hire you.

Dec 02 15 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

IDiivil wrote:
As a model, do you use social media to market yourself? Why or why not? How do you feel your tactics are working out for you?

As a bridal makeup artist yes... absolutely, it is an integral component of my marketing mix...
Facebook is to be cherished here...  highly effective...

Photography? Not really...
In the very near future this industry component may likely become only a high-end hobby.
It no longer is a viable means to generate a consistent reliable revenue stream…
At least in my market for beauty/fashion genre... However other markets may indeed be quite different...

To the OP?  Nearly all those who work consistently within the fashion industry are agency represented...
On all the large budget assignment I work as a lighting assistant the talent (without exception) are agency.
Albeit, owing to height requirements fashion might not be an ideal match Christine... that said your beautiful facial features and alluring long tresses are to be cherished for beauty genre (at least in my humble estimation)

btw; There are compelling reasons why agencies are "going concern" entities...

Hope this helps...

Dec 03 15 04:06 am Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

When I was traveling across the country, it was absolutely necessary to have some form of social media. As a local model, you have your home base of people that know you well; I'm very fortunate that I live in a relatively small market and can get work based on referalls and rebookings, but to be fair as an art model a lot of what I do is for schools and longer jobs, so there is some inherent regularity to that form of work. I've also been modeling for well over 6 years off and on in this market alone, so it did take some time to build up a local network.

If I were still seeking work as a photo model, I would maintain a portfolio site and whatever sites those who shot the genre I modeled in seemed to use most. (I.e. fetish work, fetlife; general art nudes and glamour, MM; etc). I think it's best to utilize many forms of social media as well as combining traditional networking methods. The way I've gotten my foot in so many doors is by saying I was willing to be a last minute fill-in model. You really get on a model coordinator's good side when you show up out of the woodwork and fill in for 5 gigs in a row and are early, prepared, and get good feedback from the teachers and students.

Hopefully some of this was helpful!

Dec 03 15 05:11 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Now it is, yes. A few years ago, no.

Dec 03 15 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I cannot speak for models, but I my experience on facebook suggests to me that it is far more effective than model mayhem, although I am not at all sure that MM understands the dimensions of the threat that FB poses.

If I post a casting call on MM, I am doing well if I get half a dozen or so responses and if one of those turns out to be a capable model.

In contrast, I posted a casting call on FB a few months ago and got 97 responses, of which 15 looked like reasonable prospects.  To date, I have shot with four of them and the results have been superior to those that I have achieved with MM models, so, if you do not already have a FB presence, you may be missing out.

Dec 03 15 07:36 am Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

Rob Photosby wrote:
I cannot speak for models, but I my experience on facebook suggests to me that it is far more effective than model mayhem, although I am not at all sure that MM understands the dimensions of the threat that FB poses.

If I post a casting call on MM, I am doing well if I get half a dozen or so responses and if one of those turns out to be a capable model.

In contrast, I posted a casting call on FB a few months ago and got 97 responses, of which 15 looked like reasonable prospects.  To date, I have shot with four of them and the results have been superior to those that I have achieved with MM models, so, if you do not already have a FB presence, you may be missing out.

I briefly had a Facebook for modeling, and as a nude model it wasn't super effective. It's also technically against Facebook rules to have more than one Facebook as far as I understand, even though many people do. Linking to an external portfolio site was ok, but the whole anti-nudity thing Facebook has can be inhibiting as to what work you can post on your actual Facebook page.

Dec 03 15 07:57 am Link

Model

Earl Of Essex

Southend-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom

I find twitter to be a great source of getting attention for modelling purposes as theres alot out there that already do this and are interested in it, theres no nudity ban as such and the ability for other people to retweet your tweets to reach an even wider audience again and again is very much worth it.

Dec 03 15 08:35 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

IDiivil wrote:

Hi Christine!

I had an absolutely dormant Instagram account with zero posts since I don't know when. Never used it.

This changed after I was guest on August 30 (this year) on The American Fashion Podcast - Episode 65: Mickey Boardman, Paper Magazine's editorial director along with WWD‘s Media Editor Alexandra Steigrad.

During this Podcast, my attitude towards, especially Instagram completely changed.

Mickey and Alexandra talked about the importance of social media in our current environment. In reference to models, both explained (I don't remember the exact numbers they used as examples, so I am paraphrasing):

If there is the choice among using two models, one is super gorgeous and has 3000 followers, but the other one is more average looking but has 200,000 followers, they will chose the one with the most followers, because that is instant exposure and reach for the publication.

It's similar for photographers and hence I started to post photos on my IG profile since about Sept. 4... adapting to the modern times... smile

Things to think about...

Dec 03 15 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

udor wrote:

Hi Christine!

I had an absolutely dormant Instagram account with zero posts since I don't know when. Never used it.

This changed after I was guest on August 30 (this year) on The American Fashion Podcast - Episode 65: Mickey Boardman, Paper Magazine's editorial director along with WWD‘s Media Editor Alexandra Steigrad.

During this Podcast, my attitude towards, especially Instagram completely changed.

Mickey and Alexandra talked about the importance of social media in our current environment. In reference to models, both explained (I don't remember the exact numbers they used as examples, so I am paraphrasing):

If there is the choice among using two models, one is super gorgeous and has 3000 followers, but the other one is more average looking but has 200,000 followers, they will chose the one with the most followers, because that is instant exposure and reach for the publication.

It's similar for photographers and hence I started to post photos on my IG profile since about Sept. 4... adapting to the modern times... smile

Things to think about...

Has posting on Instagram helped you?

Dec 03 15 09:43 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I have pretty much all of the social media accounts. I have a Facebook profile, a Facebook page, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, Tsu, Google+, YouTube, and then a bunch of others that don't really get used (Ello, for example). I mainly use them to promote my work, sell prints, promote Zivity sets and my Patreon, and just generally to connect with fans. I also use them for non-modeling related things like promotion of art and charity events I coordinate.

In some ways, I'm very happy using social media and I've definitely reached a lot more people than I would have otherwise, but I also feel like I struggle with it. I don't have the huge number of followers that other sort of similar models do. I've been told that part of my problem is that I'm too nice and friendly and genuine and that I need to develop a flirty, fake personality and basically lead people on and/or shoot and post more explicit work. (un)Fortunately, my personal ethics prevent either of those things so I suppose I may be stuck around the level I am now forever. However, I really am quite thankful for social media and all that I've been able to accomplish because of it, particularly with my modeling. I also realize I'm still far more "out there" than a lot of other models, probably partly due to my name. Google is definitely my friend and the friend of those looking for me specifically ^_^

More in depth... social media has definitely boosted my visibility. In terms of gain fans and supporters, it's been fantastic (even if my numbers aren't what I want right now). In terms of booking shoots as a model... I can't really say. I've cut back on shooting a lot and mainly I shoot at group shoots now for a variety of reasons. I'm not doing the paid model hustle any more. I do get offers to shoot, but most of them aren't really trade shoots at the level I'm willing to take on or they're not in my area or they're paid shoots that just aren't well paid enough to justify the time spent and driving or they're beyond my limits. I live in kind of a weird area, way too many people and not a lot of people looking for who I am and what I offer.

I spend at least a couple hours a day on social media and I've got a few side projects like my Untouched Skin blog for (photos of) glamour and nude models with no body mods. I also use it, as I mentioned, for promoting events including group shoots, but also art events and such. It's really important for those as it is an easy way for people to contact the events, find information, and invite their friends.

Dec 03 15 10:04 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Not yet, I am not as active as I should be! I am posting now for only 12 weeks (you can't expect wonders and thousands of followers when you just started!) and I have only 62 posts and 450 followers... it takes diligence to develop organic followers (vs. purchased ones) and you need a few thousand to develop to get into the efficiency. Constant interaction is key, e.g. posting once a day and liking and commenting on other people's post in categories you are interested in, e.g. #editorialfashion etc. Hashtags are extremely important, since they are indexing and cataloging your photos. You can consider this as part of your daily routine of marketing your business.

So, if someone is searching for #fashionphotography, they will find all kind of posts with that hashtag... and people will like your photo when they see it, if they know or follow you or not.

With most of my posts, I get now 20 to 40 likes within hours and days and usually one to three new followers after they check out the rest of my work. E.g. I made a post about my recent editorial for HELLO! Magazine, just yesterday and have 22 likes, 4 comments and gotten 3 new followers... and I have literally only a handful of followers, compared to having 10 or 20K... which monetizes well too and will help you with bookings as well.

Also... once you get into that area of a lot of followers, you'll get actually paid for posting some stuff... which is nice too.

Another advantages is that when you post... you can share the post with Twitter, Facebook, Flickr and Tumblr at the same time, which saves time and increases your reach.

Dec 03 15 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

le chat dort wrote:

I briefly had a Facebook for modeling, and as a nude model it wasn't super effective. It's also technically against Facebook rules to have more than one Facebook as far as I understand, even though many people do. Linking to an external portfolio site was ok, but the whole anti-nudity thing Facebook has can be inhibiting as to what work you can post on your actual Facebook page.

Facebook's attitude to nudity is certainly not an asset, but they are OK with posting implieds and seem to be OK with bare behinds provided they are not close-ups.

There are also groups devoted to nude photography.

Dec 04 15 05:52 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I shoot film, print it out and carry it around asking random people to like and comment in hope that some time in a blue moon they will knock on my door and ask to commission me to produce a real expensive work of art.
I also come forward in the restaurants and tell them how I like what they are eating, what they are wearing and re-telling their answers to others.

In a nutshell

PS I already have 5 followers: 3 policemen and 2 psychiatric nurses!!!

Dec 04 15 07:38 am Link

Model

Briana_Mae

Warner Robins, Georgia, US

i would like to know the best social media site to share photos i certainly cant share sexy stuff on facebook

Dec 19 15 07:27 am Link

Model

alba111

Detroit, Michigan, US

I'd recommend linking contact info in your bio on Instagram/twitter etc. And follow people you want to work for!
My dream has always been to be apart of the NAIAS, and one of the designers for the main event contacted me because of my email on instagram. Utilize it as a networking tool!

Dec 19 15 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Melissa Wenger

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

IDiivil wrote:

Personally, I no longer shoot models who don't have a healthy presence on Instagram.  It shows way more about the person than a Model Mayhem account ever could- plus I can gauge whether or not having them post a picture taken by me will generate click on my page.

I've also reached out to some via DM who respond with their rate- while I may not be interested in paying for tests at the moment, I'm sure they generate revenue that way by using their IG feed as a portfolio and their followers as leverage/justification!

Dec 23 15 06:36 pm Link

Model

malefica

Durham, England, United Kingdom

I am an Instagram newbie; starting to try and use it at least daily, shoots or no shoots.

Dec 24 15 03:02 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Some celebs make quite a bit just tweeting.

http://haveuheard.net/2015/08/kim-karda … ram-posts/

Dec 24 15 10:43 am Link

Model

No longer active-

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I use 'em all. I don't post daily idk I'm sure my content could be better and could use more hashtags etc. I don't use separate accounts for my work or a stage name. It's mostly because I'm proud of my work and have a real love for modeling and acting. I figure nobody else is going go promote me, until I can afford to hire a publicist so I have to get my work out there myself. Sometimes you have to speak to people in a platform they understand.

Dec 24 15 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Social media matters tremendously to me!  Although I come from an old school era of print, I wouldn't be able to continue working as a freelance photojournalist from home without it.   Models who use social media get noticed by me.  There is no way to avoid it.

Dec 24 15 01:17 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

I use Instagram, Zivity, Tumblr, and Model Society.

I've booked gigs using both instagram and tumblr multiple times - instagram was how I got started actually. Model Society has also proven pretty useful.

I update my tumblr and instagram almost every day, answer email from all sites as promptly as possible while maintaining communication (it's useless if you don't continue the email through booking and then even to confirm up to the day before or day of), and I try to also stay connected to people who regularly book me through all of these - I have people I work with on a biweekly basis.

Social media is definitely useful for me. If nothing else, you can get hosting while traveling this way quite easily and use the sites to connect with other models, which is definitely helpful.

Jan 06 16 02:10 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

udor wrote:
Not yet, I am not as active as I should be! I am posting now for only 12 weeks (you can't expect wonders and thousands of followers when you just started!) and I have only 62 posts and 450 followers... it takes diligence to develop organic followers

Update... I have been a little bit more diligent the past two weeks with posting...

Now, a tad over four weeks since my last update..., I am making a very slow progress... I have now 96 posts and 760+ followers... slowly... slowly... I am making one post a day... two or three times, I've made 2 posts on a day...

I had posted a photo recently which resulted in 50 likes and 1 comment within 60 minutes... which shows that the engagement with people who follow me gets some traction on a small scale...

Well... only 9,240 people to find who are interested in my photography... then I can buy a cappuccino from Starbucks!!! borat

Jan 06 16 02:37 am Link

Model

Kiara Zeel

Nashua, New Hampshire, US

I use model mayhem, fetlife, and model society. Model Mayhem is the best source for photographers but I get some hits on fetlife too. I don't have a modeling page on facebook but that might be a good idea. I also have an instagram but I more regularly update the mm and model society sites

https://www.modelmayhem.com/3782221
https://fetlife.com/users/5389199
http://modelsociety.com/Model/acro11

Jan 06 16 03:18 am Link

Model

Amelia Simone

Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico

Mostly my FB is full of fans and not paying photographers. I don't have anything to sell, such as prints and such, but I really think I could monopolize on the FB following I have if I really had the initiative right now.

Jan 08 16 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

I find knocking on doors works much better than waiting for someone to surf me. Make your own opportunity.

Jan 08 16 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

London, England, United Kingdom

I’ve just done a fashion shoot with a professional model that I first met via social media. 

I liked her rebellious attitude and non model-type looks.

The magazine suggested someone else but we went with my recommendation and it worked out great.

Jan 09 16 02:43 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

London, England, United Kingdom

WisconsinArt wrote:
I find knocking on doors works much better than waiting for someone to surf me. Make your own opportunity.

Having a presence on social media doesn’t prevent anyone doing any door knocking.  It just knocks on a few more metaphorical doors whilst you are asleep.

I upped my social media activity over the last two or three months because I had a couple of books to promote.  I was surprised by how many people I met (as in real life, face to face) who seemed to have somehow seen what I was posting.  The vast majority were not “followers”.  I assume it was that my images were getting shared and/or re-posted.

During the last two or three months I’ve had several of offers of work from people that I have never physically met so I’m sure this is related to the above.

Jan 09 16 03:18 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Amelia Simone wrote:
Mostly my FB is full of fans and not paying photographers. I don't have anything to sell, such as prints and such, but I really think I could monopolize on the FB following I have if I really had the initiative right now.

Having fans is nice but what's the point of having fans if you don't get paid?

Jan 09 16 04:04 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Popularity factor I guess is important if people that pay you think it is.

Jan 09 16 04:10 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

MatureModelMM wrote:
If you consider Model Mayhem as social media, I do use this site to get assignments and to meet people who are interested in working together.

I have actually never used Facebook and have no interest in that sort of so-called social website activity. I haven't heard anything good about social media activity on the news, other than Facebook is making the guy who started it very rich. Many people say having a presence there or on other websites is a serious detriment to getting a real job in the business world because it's too easy for a prospective employer to find out bad things about your lifestyle and decline to hire you.

... and most employers check Google in addition to Facebook.

I always thought it was a bizarre concept to have public, 'private' conversations or to use Facebook as an email handle. Instagram & Model Mayhem are good platforms for those not signed with an agency; some models can make more money without one.

Facebook doesn't seem to be a good thing for personal relationships.  In the digital age, people can have emotional affairs while their partner is sleeping or wide awake, texting or posting away on their device, in bed or making dinner together, right next to the person.

Social media & the digital age makes it easier for a scumbag to be a bigger scumbag, that's all.

Jan 09 16 04:18 am Link

Photographer

Hero Foto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

R.EYE.R wrote:
I shoot film, print it out and carry it around asking random people to like and comment in hope that some time in a blue moon they will knock on my door and ask to commission me to produce a real expensive work of art.
I also come forward in the restaurants and tell them how I like what they are eating, what they are wearing and re-telling their answers to others.

In a nutshell

PS I already have 5 followers: 3 policemen and 2 psychiatric nurses!!!

ROFLMAO. Bloody Brilliant

Jan 09 16 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Neurotica Photography

Norman, Oklahoma, US

I personally hate sites like twitter and instagram; but being honest, I find most of my models through Facebook.

Jan 09 16 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

JoesAlterrnative

Tampa, Florida, US

Its a tool, a very important one. Sadly. As a model, its not required, but thats for those who are blessed enough with genetics to land a contract with the top fashion agencies. For every day industry models, id say its a must. Its free marketing, exposure and outreach. Why anyone wouldn't use such a resource is beyond me. The downside its the vanity and egos some people develop through their social media pages. Ive known and lost many models who were friends because they let the social media world consume and dictate how they lived and treated others. Insta-fame isn't fame, or success, its temporary. There isn't a over night secret using social media for success. Many companies use models for their followers, but they are not respect in the industry, by anyone. Work hard, share your actual work online, and wait for legitimate opportunities to arise from your work. Most "models' post hundreds and hundreds of photos and not one is from a paid gig, cover, campaign etc.

Use it, but use it wisely. Don't think its a career move to work only through social media.

Feb 04 16 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Although the OP is soliciting the opinions of models, the topic is important enough for me to chime in.

I have never met a model familiar with the posted terms of service of many social media sites.

Terms of service of most "social media" sites contain clauses in which by by joining you agree to your posted images possibly being sold to third parties "without notice or compensation."

Please read these notices.

Some have agreements with stock houses that continually scan for usable images they can use for free.

Many established commercial photographers choose not to join as it renders their work as valueless.

There are other, less exploitive sites available for self promotion.

Feb 19 16 08:49 am Link

Model

chiomajasmine

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I love how integrated social media has become to the fashion world! I feel that it is important to stay updated and connected online. I have personally grown my contacts in my community through social media. However I'm sure there are still a good amount of highly desired models/designers/photographers who don't put everything they do on Instagram and Facebook! It's a preference!

Mar 05 16 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Maura Housley

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Social media is very important for my photography and modeling. I think it depends on your genre and your target audience. My audience are people that use social media and the most effective websites have been Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. However, it is very important to follow up my social media with real world marketing and networking as well. I get the most of just going to events and meeting potential clients as well as other artists.

Mar 06 16 07:07 pm Link

Model

KatrinaWhite

San Mateo, California, US

IDiivil wrote:

I absolutely use social media to market myself. I have a Facebook profile, a Facebook page, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, YouTube, ElloDeviantArt, and maybe others that I've forgotten about by now.

Like Dekilah, I mainly use them to promote my work, promote my Zivity sets, my Diverxity sets and just generally to connect with fans.

Having fans supporting my work on Zivity and Diverxity was what initially got me into modeling professionally. My fans are the ones who finance many of the outfits I shoot in.

My social media has definitely gotten me many TF shoot offers. Most of my paid shoot offers still come through ModelMayhem so I can't comment if social media has helped to increase those or not.

Mar 09 16 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Antonio Barros

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I like to check the Instagram of the Model before casting anyone for a job/test...

2 basic checks:
- Natural pics without make-up. 
- And the number of followers.

Mar 22 16 09:06 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

IDiivil wrote:

The one thing that doesn't seem to have been brought up is that fact that when you're using social media for promotional purposes you have to straddle a very fine line between being a person and a persona. Looking at Facebook in particular on your personal page it's completely okay to post goofy pictures at a friends birthday or to use the geotagging features BUT when you set up something like a fan page those things can be more detrimental than helpful e.g. a photographer may cancel a gig if they see something that concerns them or the end client. I'm not saying not to post more normal pictures/events but know that in putting yourself on social media as a model that essentially what you're doing is publicizing yourself as a brand and it needs to be consistent with the line of work that you're looking for.

Also what needs to be factored in is that unlike adding a friend, followers on fan pages add themselves and some of them will follow you just to be a nuisance e.g. to comment on your weight, flag your shots as inappropriate, and just generally engage in trollish behavior and since you're using the site to get work, how you deal with them is as public as they want it to be (remember that even a "private" message can be shared via screenshots). You also need to be prepared to make regular updates to whatever medium you use (an editorial calendar can be helpful for that), but every post can't just be a picture of you or a note about shooting, you have to find a way to craft posts that people are going to want to engage with in some way, preferably by booking you because while "likes" are nice they're not worth much if you're not getting booked.

My strong suggestion is that if you're going to utilize social media have a game plan in place first, something that serves to differentiate you from all the other models using this tactic, but isn't a gimmick. Chrissy Tiegan is a great example of how to make social media work for you as a model. Her Instagram page in particular is a great mix of all the things she proclaims to be passionate about, and one thing that helps her stand out is her relationship with food.

Good luck!

Mar 22 16 09:35 am Link