Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > personality points....... question for all.....

Model

Alex NW

Portland, Oregon, US

Does personality matter?   Will you work with a total turd in the punch bowl if you love their art?  And why? 

Sorry I'm a bit bored at the moment so I am wondering what others think about this. 

I don't like to work with certain personality types so I don't.  I figure I am kinda on my own in this way but maybe I am wrong,  what say you?

Dec 16 15 03:48 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I've worked with a shit-load of photographers that other known and respected traveling models claimed were turds - yet I've had no problems with any of them.

I've actually been hosted by someone who was on a well-known "blacklist" that was being passed around recently. Again, no problems whatsoever.

If I have a "personality conflict" with someone, I make it my priority that they will never know it. I've found certain people very difficult to deal with, but again, I chose to respond to them in ways that did not cause challenges or conflicts.

Dec 16 15 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Amber NW wrote:
Does personality matter?   Will you work with a total turd in the punch bowl if you love their art?  And why? 

Sorry I'm a bit bored at the moment so I am wondering what others think about this. 

I don't like to work with certain personality types so I don't.  I figure I am kinda on my own in this way but maybe I am wrong,  what say you?

The only problem I have with this is that someone described as a turd (anywhere, not just in the punch bowl) is that it's subject to someone's opinion and they might be the one that's messed up. I have worked with a few models I thought were absolutely useless. I am yet to work with another photographer or MUA. Just because I don't like them, though, doesn't mean they're terrible. It just means we didn't exactly like each other.

If someone were to ask me about the models I've shot, I'd say they were on time (if they were), we had a great time (if we did), etc etc.If they fought me tooth and nail on everything I ever said or asked for, that would come out, too.

Their personality does matter but not on a first shoot. If they were really that terrible, I just wouldn't ask them to shoot again. There are many models I thought were fantastic but never asked them to shoot again because they're busy (at least seemingly) or I just haven't gotten around to doing it but for those I don't like, I'll never ask them again.

Dec 16 15 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

If you treat this like a Business...There should be no problems.

Yes...Sometimes there be pricks and dicks out there. You got to outsmart them.

Dec 16 15 04:17 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Art prevails. Money sometimes does too.

Would you change your mind if you were starving? It's a lot easier to be choosy if you can afford to be.

Dec 16 15 04:18 pm Link

Model

Koryn

On almost any sort of personality test, I score insanely high on "agreeableness." It's basically the defining characteristic of my personality. I have no problem getting along with those whom others have called "insane," "bad attitude," or "creepy" primarily because I'm....well...agreeable.

I also did crisis management for social work companies for 5 years, and could talk down pretty much anyone. I also worked in juvenile detention in college. It taught me a lot about dealing with difficult, or just plain weird, people.

I also do not cling on to my personal "identity" during social interactions, and have always tended to shift into different behavior patterns, as needed, to accommodate those around me. Perhaps that is a bad habit, but it does make relationship-building incredibly easy.

Dec 16 15 04:23 pm Link

Model

Alex NW

Portland, Oregon, US

Koryn wrote:
I've worked with a shit-load of photographers that other known and respected traveling models claimed were turds - yet I've had no problems with any of them.

I've actually been hosted by someone who was on a well-known "blacklist" that was being passed around recently. Again, no problems whatsoever.

If I have a "personality conflict" with someone, I make it my priority that they will never know it. I've found certain people very difficult to deal with, but again, I chose to respond to them in ways that did not cause challenges or conflicts.

I love your posts smile   

There's a blacklist!?!   That seems silly to me. Everyone clicks differently right? 

But to clarify I don't mean that if their rumored to be a turd but if you personally through your interactions found them not to your liking.

Dec 16 15 04:25 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Amber NW wrote:
I love your posts smile   

There's a blacklist!?!   That seems silly to me. Everyone clicks differently right? 

But to clarify I don't mean that if their rumored to be a turd but if you personally through your interactions found them not to your liking.

Just because I don't like someone doesn't mean they are not good to work with.

I refer to these as "high maintenance shoots." I just have to work extra hard to seem like I'm getting along with them.

There is a limit to how "high maintenance" I can deal with, but so far, I have only had maybe 2 out of hundreds that I absolutely couldn't manage and those were the only two who were ever sexually inappropriate with me in a persistent, undeterrable sort of way. That's my limit really, I guess.

Dec 16 15 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

phantom of the light

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I have to say that ALL of the models I have worked with were great.  I worked with one I didn't particularly like, but the point of our meeting was good images, and we did that.  I have not swum in the MM punchbowl that had any turds in it. (unless it might have been me!)

Dec 16 15 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Amber NW wrote:
Does personality matter?

Yes.

Amber NW wrote:
Will you work with a total turd in the punch bowl if you love their art?

Your characterization disgusts me and I have not run into such a person on MM.

Amber NW wrote:
I don't like to work with certain personality types so I don't.

I have been turned off by attitudes in profiles and forum posts but I don't stereotype personalities.

Dec 16 15 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Amber NW wrote:
There's a blacklist!?!

Yes.

Dec 16 15 04:36 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I'm good at reading people, even via messaging. I've managed to avoid the people who are complete asshats but I have worked with a few photographers who have tested me. I basically find a way to figure out why they are that way by talking to them and it seems to lift whatever mood they are in. There's several photographers I will not work with just based on their terrible reputation. I don't feel unsafe or anything I just don't see the point.

Dec 16 15 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Amber NW wrote:
Does personality matter?

Depends on your objective.  If you really need the shot, what difference doe s it make if he or she has a lousy personality, or is purple, white or black.  It is not like you are going to marry him or her.  It is a business.  Remain your focused on your goal. 

Act on it, ignore the noise, and move towards your goals in life.  smile

Dec 16 15 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

I've never worked with a turd in a punch bowl.

I have no intention of starting anytime soon smile

Dec 16 15 04:39 pm Link

Model

Alex NW

Portland, Oregon, US

Mark Salo wrote:

Yes.

Am I on it yet??   big_smile 

My sense of humor can be fairly gross and immature. 
But turd in the punch bowl is one of my favorite sayings even if I'm being the turd at the moment.

Dec 16 15 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
I've never worked with a turd in a punch bowl.

I have no intention of starting anytime soon smile

Yeah, if you have the options.  I am older now, I don't put up shits anymore compared to the days when I was young.  The bottom line is what is your goal?   

If the goal is just finding something to eat, I will take pizza because the burger guy is a sh*t head.  smile

Dec 16 15 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Amber NW wrote:
There's a blacklist!?!

Mark Salo wrote:
Yes.

Amber NW wrote:
Am I on it yet??   big_smile

I don't know.  I don't have access to it.  And it's for models to compare notes on photographers.

Dec 16 15 04:58 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Really depends on how bad the personality mis-match is. If they're the biggest jackass I've ever come across, no I won't work with them. If I just find them awkward or mildly abrasive, sure whatever.

Dec 16 15 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

be glad if someone of you can choose to work or not with said people. alot of us have to work with such people in corporate settings where you have no choice.   it reminds me of movies like the towering inferno, or earthquake,or the poseidon adventure or even the walking dead.  you will usually have 10 people......9 of them are just trying to survive and make it thru...but theres always that 1 person in the group that is a hothead or a agitator who puts everyone else on edge. its the goof of the universe how theres always that one person in the group..

Dec 16 15 09:16 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I've worked with people I don't necessarily care for but modeling gigs are short stints and it doesn't matter to me. Most of the people I work with I truly enjoy; most are respectful and easy to get along with.

If I have to be around a person I dislike for an extended period of time and they are an ass, it is difficult for me.  I notice this mostly in music situations more than modeling gigs. My biggest gripe is how some people don't put the work in.  I've found that the most talented people I've worked with are usually the most humble.  Of course I've encountered many with egos the size of football fields but they had the talent to back it up.  Without talent, the ones that keep trying to prove they are professional or talented are just at war with themselves & annoy everyone else with their growing pains.

If you're talented, people notice.  If you're professional, people notice.

I think the greatest lesson I had to learn is creating a boundary between 'this is annoying' and 'fuck this shit, I'm out'.
... and just for the record, if you're going to act like a diva, better be able to back that shit up.

Dec 16 15 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Personality would be a challenge to judge from words on a screen but in the real world and after several shoots I have learned that one of My favorite subjects might be a bit of a diva. Will I work with Her pompous arse again?

You betcha.

Dec 17 15 04:53 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I heard Yngwie's ego gets the best of him.
I heard Dio was the nicest guy in the world.

Both sources by people who actually knew/knows them both.
I'd work with both with the same intention (and if Dio was brought back from the dead).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaycOK66FAc

As for Yngwie, I could care two shits how he chooses to behave if I get in his presence.

Dec 17 15 07:42 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Amber NW wrote:

I don't like to work with complainers.

For me, there is nothing more annoying than a negative person that constantly complains about how aweful other models/photographers/art directors etc. are.

If it is the first time I am working with such a model, and become a witness to this... that will be the last time I will be working with this model.

I like to have a positive, fun atmosphere on my set!

Dec 17 15 08:21 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Since I do a lot of workshops, personality is vitally important. If I hire a model and she's stunning, yet boring as hell to work with or difficult to work with, I'll see a LOT fewer signups the next time around.
I'll site a good example of a good example.
I've used Mosh for a few workshops. (she unfortunately doesn't do workshops anymore)
She's a consummate professional, she's stellar at her craft, she's engaging with clients and an absolute joy to work with.
I follow this tact: If one or two people call me an asshole, it may just be their opinion. If several people call me an asshole, it's probably something I need to look at. "Blacklists", to me, should follow this same mindset.

Dec 17 15 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

On one hand, I believe that "chemistry" plays a significant role in the production of images of people.  That doesn't mean that the model & the photographer have to be the bestest buddies -- they just have to respect each other, trust each other a little bit, and have a good & comfortable time producing images.  For most of "my" models, we don't have much of a relationship outside of photographic activities, and that's okay, but I do hope that every model leaves a session with me willing to do another session in the future.

On the other hand, I believe that it's the job of models to pose for images, and that the best models are flexible enough to do well in less-than-comfortable conditions.  The best models can attune themselves to the photographer's vision and can do what needs to be done to achieve that vision.  Those are the models that are more likely to get paid.

Bottom line:  Typically, it's only a few hours commitment -- make the best of the situation.

Dec 17 15 09:21 am Link

Model

Alex NW

Portland, Oregon, US

Thank you all so much for the wonderfully entertaining and well thought out valuable insight to how you think and feel.   I found all of your viewpoints very interesting,  and look forward to hearing from more people about this.

Being a housewife I get bored sometimes and y'all keep me entertained and you expand my way of thinking.

It's nice to think that the random stuff I post on here won't be held against me by most!!  Lol 

Have an amazing weekend folks

Dec 17 15 10:41 am Link