Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Why the Prequels are better than Force Awakens

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Robb Mann wrote:
Have you ever watched the deleted scenes from the prequels? Most of them are dialogue, scenes about character development and backstory. How dare we cut even 10 seconds of a giant battle between armies or flashing blasters or swinging sabers to show character development!

Good Egg Productions wrote:
Unless you really LIKE 50% of your action adventure movies scenes of people sitting and talking, then by all means, great.  But I prefer action in my action films.

I'm posting these two passages together because I think it showcases the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation any artist (however that's defined) faces when they dare to tell the story they intended & god forbid you challenge a person's emotional investment in said art.

The reaction to Harper Lee's "Go Set a Watchmen" is a fantastic example. Atticus Finch as a segregationist?! How dare you!

Jan 06 16 06:31 am Link

Model

Kelly Virkutis

PLAYA DEL REY, California, US

Some good points made, but still think Force Awakens is worlds better than any of the prequels, hands down. (And I believe 90% of the world's film critics agree).

Nothing will ever touch the Original Trilogy for me, but I do feel that The Force Awakens got close. The prequels, however, did not even FEEL like Star Wars... I re-watched them recently, and  couldn't stop thinking "this doesn't even feel like it was filmed... it feels like these technically good actors are poorly and rigidly acting; reciting terrible lines from a mediocre script in front of what is obviously not the real world or even set, but a special effects ridden green screen...." Even the scenes that had some promise were helplessly deprived of any real life-force by the grotesquely distracting special effects.

At least the Force Awakens has generally good acting, strong direction, sturdy storytelling, and hallelujah, PRACTICAL EFFECTS!

I'm no film critic, but I'm pretty confident in my knowledge of what "makes" a good film... not saying Force Awakens is great, but it IS good. But I can without a doubt say, the prequels are highly disappointing, both from the point of view of a Star Wars fan, and as a cinephile.

Feb 18 16 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

the prequel storyline....the bare bones...the synopsis....  was very very good.  the execution of it was terrible.
young anakin....older anakin....light saber fighting yoda.....the cartoonish CGI.....the terrible dialog, embarrassing characters.

honestly.....all I really remember from all 3 prequels.....was the awesome and inspired pod racing scene...darth vader coming to existence(marred by the terrible NOOOOOO). everything else is just a vague haze of jar jar and darth maul.

what Im would like to see is a story told from the imperial empires side circa first star wars/empire strikes back. like a series focused on stormtroopers at various outposts around the galaxies, or imperial pilots and their war against the rebels. theres alot there. I means surely most of them joined the empire with a sense of wanting to bring order to the galaxy. they cant have all been cookie cutter bad guys. like say...finn

Feb 18 16 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

A series based on Starkiller and Master Kotas founding of the rebellion would have been cool.

Feb 18 16 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Gerardo Martinez wrote:
A series based on Starkiller and Master Kotas founding of the rebellion would have been cool.

They're getting towards that w/ the new animated series, "Star Wars: Rebels."

Feb 20 16 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

U All..think that Crapatar just came out. IT has been heavily criticized for years...with the same analogy I just commented on. I am not the first or last to make fun of James Cameron's Crapatar and Craptanic.  Get over it Gurls! oh my lanta.

Avatar didn't suck because it was a retelling. It sucked because its own logic didn't hold up.

James Cameron created a world where the armored fighting suits have hands that they use to carry guns and knives. Which means they can drop their guns and knives. That makes absolutely zero goddamn sense. Any sane designer would bolt the gun directly to the arm; the robot can't drop it, and doesn't need to disarm itself to pick something up. And that's just the example that annoys me the most.

And that's about the level of realism that the movie carried. Ferngully actually made MORE sense.

Star Wars itself was a retelling; if not of then-obscure foreign movies, then of the legend of David and Goliath. They just made him King David before he fought Goliath. The tale is out of order, but it's the same tale.

The idea that nothing under the sun is partially true. No broad concepts are unique. It's how the story is told that is unique or trite.

Feb 20 16 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Farenell Photography wrote:

Robb Mann wrote:
Have you ever watched the deleted scenes from the prequels? Most of them are dialogue, scenes about character development and backstory. How dare we cut even 10 seconds of a giant battle between armies or flashing blasters or swinging sabers to show character development!

I'm posting these two passages together because I think it showcases the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation any artist (however that's defined) faces when they dare to tell the story they intended & god forbid you challenge a person's emotional investment in said art.

The reaction to Harper Lee's "Go Set a Watchmen" is a fantastic example. Atticus Finch as a segregationist?! How dare you!

This is just as much an example of 'quit while you're ahead.' Or as I suspect in Lee's case, 'don't trust people that want your money.'

Feb 20 16 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FA was great.

Mar 05 16 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Gotta admit the intro to Episode three is the best space battle in all Star Wars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT7vD8u … pp=desktop

Mar 06 16 02:43 pm Link

Model

Voodoo Howyacall

Austin, Texas, US

I dunno. I'm going to say "The Force Awakens" was better than the prequels.

The prequels absolutely destroyed what was good in the Star Wars Expanded Universe. If you were familiar with that, going in and seeing what had changed was an unexpected gut punch. What do you mean, Boba Fett was a clone? Wha?

And then, whatever happened in the Expanded Universe that attempted to smooth out / make the prequels make sense was jettisoned with  "The Force Awakens." When it came to the Prequels actually having likable characters with dynamic backstories, I felt that the expanded universe was far superior than the movies themselves. The movies set up, as clumsily done as they were, enough of a skeleton that others could come in and fill in the gaps. In particular, I'm thinking of the Karen Traviss "Republic Commando" series that really fleshed out the Clone Army and their relationship with the Jedi.

I think these reviews do an excellent job of explaining why the prequels don't work as films, let alone as a set of Star Wars movies: http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

Looking at "The Force Awakens" as a money-making vehicle, it honestly just needed to be competent - not excellent. And even Mark Hamill went on record saying that audiences needed to have realistic expectations about the movie. "The Force Awakens" wasn't a cinematic masterpiece, but it served well as a new Star Wars film. It banks on a few assumptions, but ultimately is a great welcome to new fans without trying to over-extend itself. It played it safe, which is what needed to happen after the prequels.

Now, will the following movies be something completely new and amazing? Possibllllyyyyy. But at the end of the day, one of the things that made the original trilogy work was that it was a collaborative effort - not just with Lucas, but with editors and story people who weren't afraid to say, "Hey, this doesn't really work," and that's missing in spades in the Prequels. Well, that and the obvious Kurosawa homages...There wouldn't be "Star Wars" without "The Forbidden Fortress."

One of the best things about the original trilogy is the characters. You take them out of the space setting, and they're still strong characters. I feel like the Prequels bank solely on the audience already knowing the story / coming in with familiarity with these characters, (which is why I started with the Expanded Universe; if you were a Star Wars nerd and wanted to learn about, oh, I dunno, what Han Solo did before he met Luke at the Cantina, the books filled that gap) and so the movies don't do their jobs in letting them unfold before you. "The Force Awakens" only makes those assumptions with returning characters - and the returning characters don't drive the movie. The new ones do. I had no idea who Finn was when I sat down to see it - but over the course of the film, through his dialogue and his interactions, I learned who he was.

I can't tell you anything dynamic about Obi-Wan from the prequels, other than Qui Gon was his master. I don't know where he's from. Why I should care about him other than I'm TOLD he was important. I wasn't shown this. How he relates to other people other than with a vague sense of distain and distance. And so on.

But, to each their own - that's the awesome thing about opinions! I will say this, though - the prequels had some fantastic costume design. I'm always a little sad that costume design in those movies doesn't seem to get the credit that they deserve.

And I'm also a huge fan of the Clone Army - it's a hell of an interesting concept, and I wish that more had been done with it. I remember getting into forum fights (because I am a giant nerd. Clearly) with people who assumed that the clones weren't human because they'd been manufactured, and somehow having the Jedi use a clone army didn't raise any sense of ethics at all, and I was like, "Uh, there's nowhere in the movie that it even suggests that the clones use droid or robot components. They're humans bred for war. And that is terrifying and sad."

-V.

Mar 13 16 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Designit - Edward Olson

West Hollywood, California, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I know people who have seen it 3 times.  The fact that it is a top moneymaker tells you something!

Yes, it tells you that the price of movie tickets has gone up consistently.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

If the original Star Wars made only $460Million, but -- at current ticket prices -- it would have brought in $1.5Billion in the US and Canada alone.

Force Awakens hasn't even cracked the top 10 in number of tickets sold.

Mar 13 16 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Nice to know I'm not the only person who thought the way I did. LOL

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/james-came … 46866.html

Aug 10 16 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Even this is better than The FA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPdJdEFilaU

Aug 10 16 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Designit - Edward Olson wrote:
Yes, it tells you that the price of movie tickets has gone up consistently.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

If the original Star Wars made only $460Million, but -- at current ticket prices -- it would have brought in $1.5Billion in the US and Canada alone.

Force Awakens hasn't even cracked the top 10 in number of tickets sold.

Don't forget that the original star wars has had 3 releases: once in 1977, another in 1982 and another in 1997.

In fact many of the top ten ticket sellers have had multiple releases. If you counted only their first releases some of them would definitely be below TFA (E.T. for example).

The original release of Star Wars took in about $307 million -- that gives about $1.18  billion vs ~936 million for The Force Awakens's first release.  So about 26% more.

The prequels, of course, are not even in the same universe of box office as the original star wars.  The biggest box office draw was Episode 1.. which also had multiple releases.  But the first, in 1999 took in ~430 million which is  ~623 million in todays dollars.  TFA beat this by 50%

The other two prequels were even further down this list. 

Empire and Return of the Jedi are well above the prequels but below The Force Awakens.

All domestic (USA and Canada) figures.

Aug 10 16 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://media.giphy.com/media/RL0xU1daTlMoE/giphy.gif

Aug 10 16 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

"I have to say that I felt that George’s group of six films had more innovative visual imagination, and this film was more of a retrenchment to things you had seen before and characters you had seen before, and it took a few baby steps forward with new characters. So for me the jury’s out. I want to see where they go with it.”

And of course he's right, and that seemed very intentional.  A lot of the work of The Force Awakens was to reset the current and future productions back into the world created in the original trilogy.  It had to earn back the goodwill damaged by the prequels.

Aug 10 16 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

if living within that universe, I probably would have joined the empire. I'm a company guy plus hey they were trying to restore order to the galaxy is all. nothing cool I suspect, I'd probably be a small cog in the imperial IT department on a star destroyer or somethin. I'm fairly sure they have a good dental plan.

Aug 10 16 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
if living within that universe, I probably would have joined the empire. I'm a company guy plus hey they were trying to restore order to the galaxy is all. nothing cool I suspect, I'd probably be a small cog in the imperial IT department on a star destroyer or somethin. I'm fairly sure they have a good dental plan.

I'd probably be a death stick smuggler using a Clone Wars era Alpha-3 Nimbus to outrun Imperial blockades.

Aug 10 16 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

I'm not saying everyone has to like TFA but saying the prequels are better just seems insane to me.  And oh course it wasn't perfect if you pick it apart but neither were the originals.  I'm sure if you looked you could find plot holes and issues with this and that but it's minor points to an over all strong movie.

TFA was just what it needed to be, a safe, fun, exciting movie that touched on the originals to help pump life back into the franchise and start a new trilogy in the universe.

If you want more introspective thoughts on why the prequels are horrible watch these.  They're obviously being super satirical in the nerdy weirdo character they put on to give the review but the points are extremely valid and well throught out.

Their Phantom Mence review is their most well known and all you really need to watch about the movies to get an idea of why they really didn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL59 … xKtZmQgxrI

Aug 10 16 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

TFA was basically a retelling of A New Hope.   It was designed to introduce new Star Wars fans to the original cast and to move the story forward somewhat for old ones.   I thought it was okay but frankly the  the three prequels weren't that good.   The Empire Strikes Back is the best of the six.   TFA was still fun but failed in many ways.   What is good to check out are the graphic novels, books and even cartoon.   Star Wars Rebels is cool.   The books go into depth about the Sith and Jedi.   In fact they could have gone with some of that material.   

Flashbacks might have been good to show Darth Vader and the empire going after Jedi because that's what he did.   Not all were killed after order 66.   This would have exposed new fans to Darth Vader.   You need a great villain, Kylo Ren wasn't that.    I enjoyed TFA but I wish it had gone in a different direction.

Aug 10 16 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

What you talking about Tony? The retro comics and video games set between Ep3 and Ep4 were reeling in new fans like crazy.

Aug 10 16 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Got it out of the library.
Watched 1/2 hr. Turned it off and returned it.
To me, not worth watching even free.

Aug 10 16 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

yup. I'm triggered.

Aug 11 16 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Peter Claver wrote:
Don't forget that the original star wars has had 3 releases: once in 1977, another in 1982 and another in 1997.

In fact many of the top ten ticket sellers have had multiple releases. If you counted only their first releases some of them would definitely be below TFA (E.T. for example).

The original release of Star Wars took in about $307 million -- that gives about $1.18  billion vs ~936 million for The Force Awakens's first release.  So about 26% more.

The prequels, of course, are not even in the same universe of box office as the original star wars.  The biggest box office draw was Episode 1.. which also had multiple releases.  But the first, in 1999 took in ~430 million which is  ~623 million in todays dollars.  TFA beat this by 50%

The other two prequels were even further down this list. 

Empire and Return of the Jedi are well above the prequels but below The Force Awakens.

All domestic (USA and Canada) figures.

Just because something makes a sh*t ton of money doesn't mean its actually good.

Would you like examples? Why I'd be happy to give you examples. The recent "Batman vs Superman", anything from the "Twilight" franchise, "50 Shades of Grey", anything from the "Fast & Furious" franchise...I could go on.

Aug 11 16 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Gerardo Martinez wrote:
What you talking about Tony? The retro comics and video games set between Ep3 and Ep4 were reeling in new fans like crazy.

He's talking about the animated "Clone Wars" cartoon & later "Rebels."

It MAJORLY builds on the material seen in the films & adds quite a bit of depth to all the characters (even the 2nd & 3rd tier characters).

Aug 11 16 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Just because something makes a sh*t ton of money doesn't mean its actually good.

Can you point to where I said that that was the case?

Context is important.

Re-read the post I was replying to.

Aug 11 16 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Peter Claver wrote:
Can you point to where I said that that was the case?

Context is important.

Re-read the post I was replying to.

I thought that WAS your point? If there was something else beyond it, your intended point got lost w/ all the dollar figure earnings you listed.

Aug 11 16 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Gerardo Martinez wrote:

Games, comics, and even TV shows don't have the power of film to draw in fans.  The may be reasonably popular, but even at their peak, they won't take in more than a few million people.  Even the hit Clone Wars and Rebels shows only got 3-4 million people watching.

Compare that to the $2 billion TFA raked in.  At an average ticket price of $8.58, that's over 233 million tickets sold.  Of course some people saw it multiple times, but if we estimate that more than half of viewers saw it twice, that's still about 100 million people, or 25 to 30 times more people than watched the TV shows.

Aug 11 16 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I thought that WAS your point? If there was something else beyond it, your intended point got lost w/ all the dollar figure earnings you listed.

Read it again.

The person I was responding to said that the force awakens wasn't even in the top ten for adjusted box office dollars and that the huge box office numbers are nothing more than inflation.  And he also pointed to an incorrect value for how much the original made relative to TFA (since he didn't account for the multiple releases over the years)

I was pointing out (quite clearly) that

a) most of the top ten have had multiple releases and that's why they're in the top ten.  If you look at only first releases then TFA would definitely be in the top ten.

and

b) When you examine Star Wars' initial 1977 release it wasn't actually that much more popular (in terms of ticket sales) than TFA.  The two movies are certainly closer in ticket sales than TFA is to *any* of the prequels.

Nowhere was there even a whiff of "if bigger dollars then better movie".  That was all you.

Aug 11 16 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Peter Claver wrote:
I was pointing out that

a) most of the top ten have had multiple releases and that's why they're in the top ten.  If you look at only first releases then TFA would definitely be in the top ten.

and

b) When you examine Star Wars' initial 1977 release it wasn't actually that much more popular (in terms of ticket sales) than TFA.  The two movies are certainly closer in ticket sales than TFA is to *any* of the prequels.

Thank you for the (requested by me) Reader's Digest clarification. That is all.

Aug 11 16 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thank you for the (requested by me) Reader's Digest clarification. That is all.

You're welcome.  But you actually didn't ask for any clarification/summation.  You just assumed because you misread and then blurted.

Would you like examples? Why I'd be happy to give you examples. The recent "Batman vs Superman", anything from the "Twilight" franchise, "50 Shades of Grey", anything from the "Fast & Furious" franchise...I could go on.

Aug 11 16 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Peter Claver wrote:
You're welcome.  But you actually didn't ask for any clarification/summation.  You just assumed because you misread and then blurted.

I was trying to be diplomatic.

*sigh*

But if you want to be honest. Speaker A makes a point that seems clear to them but may or may not be clear to someone else. Listening Receiver B interprets it in a way that wasn't intended. Miscommunication ensues. It happens all the time, nothing to get all bent out of shape.

Aug 11 16 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

what sucks is you could never have a death star in this overly politically correct environment.

Aug 11 16 12:13 pm Link