Forums > General Industry > finding locations for nude/nude-esque shoots

Photographer

Olive Ursula

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Hi, could anyone give me pointers on how you find a good spot for shooting that isn't highly trafficked and keeps the model feeling comfortable?  I like to shoot in the woods, most of which, in the bay area, are pretty full of hikers and families, and I'm open to exploring urban/industrial areas.  I've shot some amazing sets with Sonia (Devi) in high-traffic areas, were we kept having to cover her up and stop shooting as people walked by.

Sorry if this has been discussed, I swear I searched it.

Jan 20 16 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

So 99.9% of those hikers will be on the established paths or easily accessible areas. Bring an assistant or two who can warn of anyone approaching, have a fast coverup for the model, and do a bit of trailblazing.

Jan 20 16 06:04 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Make sure the model is fully aware of what she is getting into as well. I personally wouldn't be comfortable doing this and it would show up in the resulting photos. Private property where I had permission is a whole different story.

Jan 20 16 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Derek G Cooke wrote:
Hi, could anyone give me pointers on how you find a good spot for shooting that isn't highly trafficked and keeps the model feeling comfortable?  I like to shoot in the woods, most of which, in the bay area, are pretty full of hikers and families, and I'm open to exploring urban/industrial areas.  I've shot some amazing sets with Sonia (Devi) in high-traffic areas, were we kept having to cover her up and stop shooting as people walked by.

Sorry if this has been discussed, I swear I searched it.

If you are willing to travel about 2 hours South to the beautiful Monterey County, I live on a 60 acre ranch with plenty of green grass, oak trees, scenic vistas, a vineyard and old barns as backdrops.  Models can pose here in complete privacy.  It's not as exciting as shooting nudes in public streets or urban areas, but it's perfect for nature nudes.  Look at my album for "Art Nudes or Otherwise" Album for samples.    Send me a message if you are interested.  I've been planning to teach some seminars, and to also provide access for a fee to the location and even models I work with.

You need to "Expand" the folders to view or just click on this;
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/6 … 2#/A247859

Jan 21 16 12:32 am Link

Photographer

toesup

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Send me a message if you are interested.  I've been planning to teach some seminars, and to also provide access for a fee to the location and even models I work with.

PM sent

Jan 21 16 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Years ago, I knew of some nice spots down the coast.  How far are you willing to travel?

Also, don't forget about private property (with the permission of the property owner, of course).  Ask.

This is a good example of the potential benefit of having (& nurturing) a supportive local artistic community.  Ask your fellow Oakland / Bay Area photographers & models.  I'm now several hundreds of miles away from you and am not likely to have real suggestions.

Jan 21 16 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

I've always wondered about Big Basin Redwoods State Park. There are so many off-trail areas where it seems like one could wander unobtrusively. Anyone ever shot there?

Jan 21 16 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Timing can be as important as location.

A popular picnic location is often markedly less popular on week days and early in the morning. Light industry sites are often ghost towns on weekends.  National parks often have great locations a bit off the beaten path.

Jan 21 16 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Rob Photosby wrote:

A popular picnic location is often markedly less popular on week days and early in the morning. Light industry sites are often ghost towns on weekends.  National parks often have great locations a bit off the beaten path.

This is the key. Once you find a nice place just schedule the shoot for the time/day that tends to have the least usage. If it's a park do it when everyone should be at work or in school. If it's a industrial shoot do it on the weekend.  I've shot at 4:00 AM on a street shoot to avoid onlookers and cars.

But still keep your eyes open.  Not everyone goes to school or work.

Jan 21 16 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Derek G Cooke wrote:
Hi, could anyone give me pointers on how you find a good spot for shooting that isn't highly trafficked and keeps the model feeling comfortable?

Could start by making day-trips off the beaten path. A GPS can help you pinpoint where you actually are.  Keep a small notebook in the car & write down where you are.

Jan 21 16 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Toto Photo wrote:
I've always wondered about Big Basin Redwoods State Park. There are so many off-trail areas where it seems like one could wander unobtrusively. Anyone ever shot there?

Although I have not tried it yet, I would think Big Basin Redwoods State Park would be a great place to shoot nudes. The morning I woke up in a wooded cabin in the Redwoods on New Years day some years ago is still one of my favorite memories of a beginning of the year celebration.  The smell of the redwoods, combined with the babble of water flowing from the near by brook is like waking up in heaven.  I'm not kidding!   

There are a few spots going down the coast North of you. There are even a few designated "nude beaches" between The San Francisco Bay and Big Sur.  My first experience shoot nature art nudes was when a girlfriend and I were hiking up a trail in Big Sur.  We came upon a spectacular waterfall that was perfect for her to stand by or in ... so she disrobed and I shot black and white film.  I'd love to visit Big Sur as often as I did back then.  The place I live on is my family's estate, and it's hard to beat, but I don't have the ocean, although I do have a small creek that is starting to run pretty good.  smile

Jan 21 16 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Rob Photosby wrote:

Vector One Photography wrote:
This is the key. Once you find a nice place just schedule the shoot for the time/day that tends to have the least usage. If it's a park do it when everyone should be at work or in school. If it's a industrial shoot do it on the weekend.  I've shot at 4:00 AM on a street shoot to avoid onlookers and cars.

But still keep your eyes open.  Not everyone goes to school or work.

Absolutely critical is the "timing!"   If I want to shoot a model nude in front of a Bart train for an example, it's possible to do so at a very late or early morning hour.  I have seen photos of models that other photographers have shot.  Shooting in the middle of a street at 4 AM is also possible .. I have done that before!  wink So scout out not only the location, but the time.

Jan 21 16 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

It's also useful to have someone who you trust that can act as a look out / HEWS - Human Early Warning System... smile

Having the right person is important.  I have someone I trust that I know will concentrate on the job at hand, knows how to behave around nude models (they love him!) and more. In most cases simply choosing the right shooting spot with an appropriate lookout position is enough.

In other cases, where there are just too many possibilities, I've watched him jump into action when someone walks towards the shooting area.  He chats with them, asks them for directions or, if there are multiple people coming through at once, otherwise distracts them in some way.  Making sure their attention is on him (facing away from the shoot) while they're walking through the (carefully selected) small zone where the shoot is actually visible (appearances can be deceiving!).  They never had a clue.  Invaluable!

Jan 21 16 09:26 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

There is a nude beach in Shelter Cove with very black sand.  My bucket list has me wanting to try a very fair skin nude model with the black sand on the 3.5 mile beach there in B&W.

Bad part is it's about 4.5 hour drive from SF though.  There are motels in Shelter Cove though near the beach.

Jan 21 16 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

National forest where you don't have to stay on the trail or you access the area through a less-traveled route. Just keep your bearings.

Patrick makes a very gracious offer. Some of my favorite places have been on private land, but I was fortunate to know the owners.

Jan 22 16 06:40 pm Link