Forums > Photography Talk > low-end laptop for Lightroom

Photographer

Jacek Poplawski

Wrocław, Dolnośląskie, Poland

Do you know what kind of low-end laptop is enough to use Lightroom?
It can be Lightroom CC or Lightroom 4.
My idea is to buy cheap laptop to use just to browse/show photos and maybe experiment with different color looks.
I remember I was using Lightroom 4 on PC with 2GB RAM and it was working correctly. But what about CPU?

Jan 23 16 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I use a ancient duo core Lenovo T61 with 4gb ram and a SSD.   $75.00 or less on Ebay.   SSD runs $50.00 or less.   I ran LR but Picasa is fine and Darktable is very nice and uses less system resources then LR.   Plus the T61 has a SD slot for your DLSR card or a adapter is also cheap.   Just go on Ebay and find a laptop in your price range and then Google LR and your version to see what others say.   I prefer enterprise or business laptops because they tend to be made better then consumer grade units and I install a second hard drive.

Jan 23 16 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Foster

Orlando, Florida, US

CPU is fairly important, RAM probably more so. I'd shoot for at least 8GB of RAM. A small SSD to boot from with a larger conventional hard drive for storage is a big performance booster as well. A dedicated GPU is great for gamers and 3D modeling but almost inconsequential for photography and video work. If you're not using an external monitor then an IPS display with a matte finish is really nice. The Thinkpads from about five years ago (the X220s and T400s) are excellent, and the ergonomics are unmatched. Check eBay for a used one. Lenovo's quality over the last few years has been spotty so I'd avoid the newer ones.

Jan 23 16 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

+1 for using an SSD. The RAW files can sit on an external drive, but having the Lightroom catalog files on an SSD makes Lightroom a LOT faster.

Jan 23 16 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Carlo P Mk2

Los Angeles, California, US

I used a 2010 model Macbook Air with 128GB SSD, 2GB RAM, and 1.8 (I think) Core 2 Duo processor and it was more or less fine for tethered shooting with 8MP RAW files. By "more or less" I mean it's not very sluggish and you can see through Activity Monitor that the computer is working hard. The fans sound like a jet turbine as well.

But it worked.
And it was light.
Small enough to fit in a pocket designed for an iPad.

Carlo Parducho
Los Angeles Commercial Photographer and Visual Consultant
www.carloparducho.net

Jan 25 16 11:32 am Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I have two Laptops both Lenovo, T-61 and 400 both running Windows 7 64bit Pro with
8GB RAM.  They both work fast and have never had a problem.  Love the Lenovo's been
running them since a T-21 cost $2,700

Jan 29 16 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

BCADULTART wrote:
I have two Laptops both Lenovo, T-61 and 400 both running Windows 7 64bit Pro with
8GB RAM.  They both work fast and have never had a problem.  Love the Lenovo's been
running them since a T-21 cost $2,700

I just got a T-61, it's a refurb and heavier than I thought, but seems a better build
than the new ones I looked at. I will most likely get a ssd for it in a few months.

Jan 31 16 12:44 am Link

Photographer

JandRStudios

Houston, Texas, US

this right here should do the trick:
under $600 for prime members with lots of power:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019BR … _i=desktop

Jan 31 16 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Foster

Orlando, Florida, US

Motordrive Photography wrote:

I just got a T-61, it's a refurb and heavier than I thought, but seems a better build
than the new ones I looked at. I will most likely get a ssd for it in a few months.

Good choice. I bought a T400 (almost identical to the T61) almost a decade ago, and while it's not my main PC anymore it serves as my media computer in the living room, runs 24/7, and has never needed a component replaced.

Feb 02 16 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Another vote for the T61.   Its a truck.   Heavy but well made.   A few tips.   Grab a second hard drive caddy on Ebay.  $10.00.   Use the mechanical drive for storage in it.   Place a SSD in the main bay.   Update your Bios.   That's important.
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Middleton's_BIOS   Even with a SSD you'll be limited to SATA  1 speeds unless you do.   The SSD speeds will be around 280 read and writes.   A SATA 2 SSD is fine.   I dual boot with linux on the SSD.   Use the SSD for programs and the mechanical second drive for storage.   This works for the T400 also.

Feb 02 16 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Foster

Orlando, Florida, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Another vote for the T61.   Its a truck.   Heavy but well made.   A few tips.   Grab a second hard drive caddy on Ebay.  $10.00.   Use the mechanical drive for storage in it.   Place a SSD in the main bay.   Update your Bios.   That's important.
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Middleton's_BIOS   Even with a SSD you'll be limited to SATA  1 speeds unless you do.   The SSD speeds will be around 280 read and writes.   A SATA 2 SSD is fine.   I dual boot with linux on the SSD.   Use the SSD for programs and the mechanical second drive for storage.   This works for the T400 also.

I'm not sure if the T61 allows it, but I used a tiny mSATA SSD in the T400 to boot from, and then I had two mechanical drives, one in the HDD bay and one in the caddy.

Feb 02 16 01:24 pm Link