Forums > General Industry > Photograph of a potato sells for $1.5 million

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Kevin Abosch sells photograph of potato for $1.5 million
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/art … md6s4.html

--- details at link

According to the photographer wine may have been involved

"Abosch's trademark portraits on black backgrounds have become collectors' items among the wealthy, with each commission regularly earning him upwards of £200,000."

Jan 24 16 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

https://a3.files.blazepress.com/image/upload/c_fit,cs_srgb,dpr_1.0,q_80,w_620/MTI4OTkyOTczMjk4OTM2NDUx.jpg

Jan 25 16 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Ferndale, California, US

When I read shit like that, I know the tax rate for millionaires is way too low.

Jan 26 16 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Mortonovich wrote:
https://a3.files.blazepress.com/image/upload/c_fit,cs_srgb,dpr_1.0,q_80,w_620/MTI4OTkyOTczMjk4OTM2NDUx.jpg

This cat's expression tells it all !
-Don
EDIT: And I agree with Matt Knowles post.

Jan 26 16 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Matt Knowles wrote:
When I read shit like that, I know the tax rate for millionaires is way too low.

And there are far too many "Tax Deductible Loopholes"

Jan 26 16 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

A drunk European businessman paid that much for a picture of a potato.  He must be Irish? 

Tax loopholes?  European businessman?  I wonder where he files his taxes? 

Final thought;
Maybe I should move to Europe, take pictures of potatoes and invite businessmen over to get drunk? 

Aw ... it can probably only happen once.  hmm

Jan 26 16 11:13 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Why so strange a reaction? It's a pretty funky pic, and the title of the article is snarky and instantly tells you that the 'writer' or hack, as I would call her, is being judgmental. None of her business, IMHO.

And none of ours, either. And for those who want to debate 'which pic is better', I offer a photo of a.... pepper (E. Steichen)

https://openshuttergallery.com/featured/pepper30.jpg

I say that all you will do is prove that art is subjective and everyone should do as they please...

Jan 26 16 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

When it comes to "art" brains are de-activated.

(Q: Can a trash can filled with trash be "art"?
A: No. But successfully selling a trash can filled with trash as art indeed is art.)

Jan 26 16 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Gonna sell a print of my avatar for $2mil, potatoes are weak.

Jan 26 16 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Mortonovich wrote:

I'd pay $1.5 million for this cat!  Maybe even for this pepper.

ETA: The pepper is HOT!

Jan 26 16 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

salvatori. wrote:
Why so strange a reaction? It's a pretty funky pic, and the title of the article is snarky and instantly tells you that the 'writer' or hack, as I would call her, is being judgmental. None of her business, IMHO.

And none of ours, either. And for those who want to debate 'which pic is better', I offer a photo of a.... pepper (E. Steichen)

I say that all you will do is prove that art is subjective and everyone should do as they please...

Steichen? Are you sure?

Jan 26 16 07:01 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Mortonovich wrote:

lol

Jan 26 16 07:02 pm Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Santa Rosa, California, US

It's hard to judge a 5-foot-square print from a low-res image on a computer screen, but from what I can tell it seems to be a very nice picture of a potato.  It might be the finest picture of a potato that I've ever seen.

Jan 26 16 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

He he,  why not, rich people at some point run out of ideas on what to spend their  money on.

Jan 26 16 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

I shall write to Kevin tonight to congratulate him.

Jan 26 16 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

salvatori. wrote:

Mark Salo wrote:
Steichen? Are you sure?

The photo of the Pepper is by Edward Weston....

Jan 26 16 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

Congratulations to everyone involved in the sale.  I hope they all got their commission.

And I mean that, too.

The art market is what it is.  Either you embrace it for what it is, or you stand on the sidelines sneering.

Jan 26 16 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

https://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/251/362/93a.jpg

Jan 26 16 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

Brand named photographer + wealthy and famous clientele = Pricey art photography (Nice).

Do what you need to do to have comfort in your life and then follow your bliss. smile

https://images.smh.com.au/2016/01/25/7161664/Article%20Lead%20-%20wide1005025684gmd6f0image.related.articleLeadwide.729x410.gmd6s4.png1453677871413.jpg-620x349.jpg

Jan 27 16 02:19 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Nice work, he seems to have decent photographic skills.

but kind of stupid in business.

Imagine how much he could have made if he had hired a skilled and experienced nude model. He'd be a multi-millionaire. Someone should hook him up with a link to MM.

Jan 27 16 03:35 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
Nice work, he seems to have decent photographic skills.

but kind of stupid in business.

Imagine how much he could have made if he had hired a skilled and experienced nude model. He'd be a multi-millionaire. Someone should hook him up with a link to MM.

LMAO

Jan 27 16 06:16 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Mark Salo wrote:

Steichen? Are you sure?

Yes, it is Weston, I was mistaken (so much for replying on a middle-aged memory) haha

Jan 27 16 07:39 am Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Heard it this morning on GMA.  Hey if you can do it why not?  After all art is in the eye of the beholder!  Or is it a fool is born every minute ?   R-

Jan 27 16 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

salvatori. wrote:

Well, on one hand you have a true master of the medium Edward Weston with an 8x10 contact print, hand developed and hand printed of his famous pepper.  And then you have a shot of a potato, and a pretty dull one at that,  that no one has really heard of until this article and a few rich folks.  Who probably never heard of him either but were told by their publicist to get a $150,000 portrait from him because his black background is so...whatever.

What was his name again?

Jan 27 16 09:28 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Mike Collins wrote:

Well, on one hand you have a true master of the medium Edward Weston with an 8x10 contact print, hand developed and hand printed of his famous pepper.  And then you have a shot of a potato, and a pretty dull one at that,  that no one has really heard of until this article and a few rich folks.  Who probably never heard of him either but were told by their publicist to get a $150,000 portrait from him because his black background is so...whatever.

What was his name again?

I take your point well, though I am simply addressing the 'art' of selling a photo. Again, people pay all sorts of money for all sorts of art, and who is to say what art is better to a person who likes it?

IMHO

Jan 27 16 10:19 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Mike Collins wrote:

What was his name again?

He happens to be my friend, a very good friend. He is well-known in the world of photography. He shot a photo of me in 2005 which was so beautiful. We used to have dinner three nights a week. When Kevin was in Paris we skyped a lot. He did the faces of Ireland, of Paris exhibitions, so he's a little better known than you think or know.

Jan 27 16 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

LA StarShooter wrote:
He happens to be my friend, a very good friend. He is well-known in the world of photography. He shot a photo of me in 2005 which was so beautiful. We used to have dinner three nights a week. When Kevin was in Paris we skyped a lot. He did the faces of Ireland, of Paris exhibitions, so he's a little better known than you think or know.

You'd be surprised how many photographers  have never heard of a lot of other photographers.  Even Edward Weston.  Or Penn.  Or Steichen.   I'm sure those who live in more cultural diverse, bigger cities like LA, NY, Paris, perhaps have heard of a lot more artists. 

Hell, know one knows my friend and first boss John Petrey yet millions around the world saw his work every time they ate at Red Lobster or Olive Garden or saw their print ads.

Jan 27 16 05:51 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Dear photographers,

Who wants to be like Kevin Abosch with his photographic success
or
the eccentric rich dude that can buy the photo?

Jan 27 16 06:07 pm Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

Jules NYC wrote:
Dear photographers,

Who wants to be like Kevin Abosch with his photographic success
or
the eccentric rich dude that can buy the photo?

I would want to be the eccentric rich dude. I would commission a photo of an egg. I love eggs.

Jan 27 16 07:15 pm Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

salvatori. wrote:

I think the "writer" is probably just a wee bit bitter that her very illuminating articles, such as "Malcolm Turnbull asks Today host Lisa Wilkinson: Why are you so negative?" or "Man knocked unconscious in Sydney music festival brawl", were not sold for similar large sums to high-profile news sources such as The Onion.

Jan 27 16 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

CamelliaFlower wrote:

I would want to be the eccentric rich dude. I would commission a photo of an egg. I love eggs.

Just a regular ol' egg?

I would require a duck billed platypus egg.

https://animalnewsthepodcast.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/platypus.jpg

Jan 28 16 12:20 am Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Just a regular ol' egg?

I would require a duck billed platypus egg.

https://animalnewsthepodcast.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/platypus.jpg

Honestly I was thinking a plain white chicken's egg or maybe a pale blue one, lit so that you can see all the little imperfections and bumps of calcium on the surface of the egg's shell.

Jan 28 16 12:55 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

CamelliaFlower wrote:
I think the "writer" is probably just a wee bit bitter that her very illuminating articles, such as "Malcolm Turnbull asks Today host Lisa Wilkinson: Why are you so negative?" or "Man knocked unconscious in Sydney music festival brawl", were not sold for similar large sums to high-profile news sources such as The Onion.

I'm available to shoot most things, including eggs, as commissioned works.  Paid, no TF for eggs.

Jan 28 16 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

CamelliaFlower wrote:

Honestly I was thinking a plain white chicken's egg or maybe a pale blue one, lit so that you can see all the little imperfections and bumps of calcium on the surface of the egg's shell.

Eggs and taters = Breakfast!

smile

Jan 28 16 10:31 am Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

Art of the nude wrote:
I'm available to shoot most things, including eggs, as commissioned works.  Paid, no TF for eggs.

I am willing to pay you 3 Sickles and 7 knuts to shoot me naked and covered in cracked eggs.

Jan 28 16 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

SoftLights

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160128/12/56aa7d5661d35.jpg

Wonder what I could get for this sexy carrot.

Jan 28 16 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

SoftLights

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Oops!

Jan 28 16 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Art of the nude wrote:

CamelliaFlower wrote:
I am willing to pay you 3 Sickles and 7 knuts to shoot me naked and covered in cracked eggs.

Shoot, and you don't even DO nudes.

Jan 28 16 01:29 pm Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:

Shoot, and you don't even DO nudes.

I'm not strictly opposed to it. I have a shot in my port now with visible nipple (female nipple, as MM Nipple Police very astutely pointed out) and I had to take off my underwear for that shoot as well because it was showing through the wet fabric. But it's easier to uncheck it and say I don't do nudes than explain to a photog that I won't shoot nudes WITH THEM because I don't like the nude work in their port.

And since I'm in this more for the experience of creation than to make money (although money is quite nice), if I ever wanted to shoot nudes I'd probably seek out a nude photographer whose work I really liked...and I'd want there to be some other concept to the image, since with the direction I want to take my port, "I'm NAKED!!" as the sole theme of the shoot isn't really something that will add much.

Jan 28 16 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

CamelliaFlower wrote:

I'm not strictly opposed to it. I have a shot in my port now with visible nipple (female nipple, as MM Nipple Police very astutely pointed out) and I had to take off my underwear for that shoot as well because it was showing through the wet fabric. But it's easier to uncheck it and say I don't do nudes than explain to a photog that I won't shoot nudes WITH THEM because I don't like the nude work in their port.

And since I'm in this more for the experience of creation than to make money (although money is quite nice), if I ever wanted to shoot nudes I'd probably seek out a nude photographer whose work I really liked...and I'd want there to be some other concept to the image, since with the direction I want to take my port, "I'm NAKED!!" as the sole theme of the shoot isn't really something that will add much.

You sound like a very intelligent lady!  borat

Jan 28 16 02:42 pm Link