Forums > Model Colloquy > Do you practice a pose routine?

Photographer

Hero Foto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Just wondering if you choreograph a pose routine for you gigs?

https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/transf/none/path/s081743b9cd857aa6/image/ib293ec1ed6b497a8/version/1448433531/image.jpg

Jan 29 16 06:00 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Yes sometimes...
Example I had a photographer say they are going for the "Irving Penn" kind of style (have had several requests for his style)... So I studied Irving Penn and practiced several poses that would be in his style so I could just flow through them... (mostly expressions and lighting angles in this example)
Also I will even set up lighting similar and practice angles in a full length mirror so I can do my best to position myself for the Camera and lighting, shadows etc...
So yes if the photographer gives examples...

Jan 29 16 11:03 am Link

Model

malefica

Durham, England, United Kingdom

I don't or at least, not yet. There have been a few shoots where the theme is distinct and clear enough for me to get in character and roll with it, but most are very loose directives that are more about a look. It is something that I plan on working on, as well as being more expressive smile

Jan 29 16 11:26 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

No. I do mainly art nudes, not fashion. I have worked with people who use large format film and that means no movement at all for up to a few minutes for each frame. I am also not a fan of weird poses that are unnatural. I'm not saying I haven't done them but it's not something I aim to do and practice at. It's also hard to practice for some of the settings I have been in-on pool tables, on stairs, sitting in chairs, draped on stools, etc.

Jan 30 16 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

When models don't learn poses really bad things happen. Photographers show them the poses by doing them.

Jan 30 16 07:45 pm Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

Hero Foto wrote:
Just wondering if you choreograph a pose routine for you gigs?

https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/transf/none/path/s081743b9cd857aa6/image/ib293ec1ed6b497a8/version/1448433531/image.jpg

No and I never will. 

Part of the magic of a really good shoot is the ability to be spontaneous, to let the shoot follow a natural flow and for the model and photographer to bounce ideas back and forth.  The notion of a posing routine squelches that spontaneous creativity. 

At that point, each photographer gets the exact same shots as the last one, with the only difference being their lighting, technique, etc.  That's just not interesting to me.

Jan 31 16 12:03 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I practice gesture poses for working with artists and in art classes, because it makes it so much easier to quickly change from one to the next. For other types of art nude modelling, not so much practice although I do have a number of poses that I like well and seem to be popular with the photographers I have posed for. If I am shown examples of specific poses that are being requested ahead of time, I may spend a bit of time in front of a mirror rehearsing them.

Jan 31 16 06:06 am Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

No. But I do look at some poses beforehand, depending on the concept of the shoot ofcourse, for inspiration.
Though, I have learned that copying poses (especially standard poses) really doesn't work out for me at all! Somehow they just don't look good on me.
However, give me some inspiring music (or just a computer, I'll bring the tunes) and I'll improvise! Being a dancer, music is a huge source of inspiration for movement (but also emotion) for me.

Jan 31 16 01:37 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

While I am adaptable, I have developed a specific posing style that people often book me for. It's usually very fluid and dance/Eastern/fine art inspired. I'm sure it leads to some similar poses at times, but I don't have a specific routine. I also pose in other ways such as more casual, more aggressive, and more awkward. I respond most to an emotion or feeling or mood and try to bring that to life with my posing. Obviously that varies with each shoot so I don't stick to specifics.

However, when I first started modeling beyond those first couple shoots where the photographer posed me or had examples, I used to sketch out poses on little cards and set them just outside of the frame. It was a learning process and soon I figured out what worked for me and what didn't. I'm fairly well known (locally at least) for my posing style, but it didn't happen over night. I think posing is a learned skill for most of us, and we do work in bits and pieces of ourselves to develop our own style. I have a background in various martial arts and dance (ballet and modern). I didn't master any of them, but the fundamentals certain show up in my posing.

Feb 02 16 11:30 am Link

Photographer

chemical sunsets

Danville, California, US

I just posted a thread concerning something of this nature. Do most models expect a mood board/some kind of visual to display what kind of poses are wanted at a shoot in advance? I've been struggling trying to figure out a way to get models to be more expressive during shoots and would love some insight on the matter.

Feb 02 16 03:33 pm Link

Model

Jac k

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I practice by doing.  I ask for reference photos and study them as much as possible for a week before the shoot. But I don't have set poses depends on the shoot.

Feb 02 16 06:26 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

chemical sunsets wrote:
I just posted a thread concerning something of this nature. Do most models expect a mood board/some kind of visual to display what kind of poses are wanted at a shoot in advance? I've been struggling trying to figure out a way to get models to be more expressive during shoots and would love some insight on the matter.

I definitely want to see examples of the sort of poses a photographer or artist has in mind well in advance of the day we are scheduled to work together, it's not quite as helpful to see it for the first time when arriving at the location I'm working in. If I have it ahead of time, that gives the opportunity to review the poses and then if I decide to practice them in front of a mirror, I have plenty of time to do that.

Feb 02 16 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Maxfield Photography

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

chemical sunsets wrote:

I do have a pose file that I bring along to all my shoots. I've sorted the poses into sitting in a chair, sitting on the ground, standing, kneeling, walking etc... I used to keep it on my laptop, but these days a phone is easier. But here's the trick, you can show an inexperienced model a pose, and he/she will worry about getting the hands just right, and the feet just right, and the torso turned just so, but the resulting pose tends to look very... contrived, not at all spontaneous. So after I've shown them a pose, (or just made one up from scratch), I have the model practice it once or twice, and then relax, and finally strike the pose, and that's when I press the shutter. There is about 0.5 seconds the the pose will look natural, after that it goes back to being contrived, so prefocus and be ready.

Feb 02 16 08:07 pm Link